• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Out of all the Tales games I've played I would have to say in terms of protagonists go I'd rank them:

Lloyd = Asbel > Xing > Cless > Luke >>>>>>>>> Luca. I really really really want to play Vesperia because the game seems fun and Yuri looks like a boss...

I might even rank their respective Tales games in that order too, the combat in Graces was by far the best in the series and all the characters were fun to play unlike in all other Tales games where the spell-casters/healers offered no fun mechanics or playstyles until Graces introduced A-Artes.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
^ graces does have the best combat
I watched my friend play vesperia and I only thought he was alright character wise but I also find lloyd to be the same. I guess i feel most anime characters can be generalized greatly but i am a sucker for the optimistic teen hero, naruto being my all time fave strangely... :confused:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh, to actually talk about the things that make Yuri cool would be fairly spoiler heavy. Long story short, he really differentiates himself from the optimistic teen hero... perhaps mostly because he's at times a ruthlessly pragmatic teen anti-hero.

I need to find a way to play Abyss/Gracia, though. I wish the Tales producers would just consistently release all the games for all the systems, it'd make it a lot easier to for the fans to actually play the dang games.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm hoping I can finish Symphonia before E3. (SUPER HYPED FOR LLOYD IN CASE HE APPEARS)

Anyway, I just finished defeating Rodyle (sorry for spoilers if anyone didn't want to know). How much longer do I have?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm hoping I can finish Symphonia before E3. (SUPER HYPED FOR LLOYD IN CASE HE APPEARS)

Anyway, I just finished defeating Rodyle (sorry for spoilers if anyone didn't want to know). How much longer do I have?
I'd say 70%.

Maybe. Does a giant tree mean anything to you yet?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have off from work today, so if I don't make any plans, I may just try to get another chunk done.

It's really a great game though, and I don't see Lloyd as boring as everyone makes him out to be. However, seeing as though I'm an English Education major, I've kind of learned to see things that build a character.

If you notice, in the beginning of the game, Lloyd is essentially a complete idiot, and the other characters make sure it is known. This happens several times, and if a storyteller puts this in the story more than once, it is definitely meant to be noticed.

The world regeneration journey isn't necessarily a process to revive the world, but a rite of passage. Lloyd becomes smarter and more mature by the end, and he proves that he is just as strong as Kratos, if not more. Lloyd definitely develops throughout the story.

Of course now I actually have to beat it :glare:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The differences are extremely subtle in terms of combat. While Zelos' A-attacks are actually slightly faster, Zelos can, for example, connect all four hits of Victory Light Spear more often than Kratos can. However, I do believe Kratos has access to Judgment whereas Zelos does not.

Up to you, I personally like Kratos as a character better overall.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Zelos, because he would die if you didn't choose him.

Kratos will still live if you pick Zelos. Zelos will NOT live if you pick Kratos.

Plus picking Zelos is canon so..... Gotta make sure that sequal makes sense!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Zelos, because Kratos can't charm ladies into giving him free items. Also, because Zelos is just more awesome in the first place.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
It would be fine by me if they both made it in the game...
However.
If I had to pick one, it would be Kratos.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Getting Kratos is... hard, to say the least. Zelos all the way.
(Unless you want to sacrifice someone's already messed up life just for daddy feels only to see your daddy go again)

Also pretty much what everybody else said. (-LvL-);

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I picked Zelos. When I get home from work, I have to finally square off against Kratos.

I'm almost there :awesome:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Besides, according to Mr. Science, spoilers actually increase our enjoyment of the story.
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

So... y'know. Since science says something shouldn't bother us, it must be true. :p

So, Scoliosis, who's your favorite companion character so far?
Hmmm...well I do like Zelos, and now that I know why he did what he did, he's a good character. I personally find Collette and Genis as annoying. Regal is another good character, as well as Sheena and Raine.

Typically my party is Lloyd, Sheena, Zelos, and Raine. I don't know who my favorite is though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hmmm...well I do like Zelos, and now that I know why he did what he did, he's a good character. I personally find Collette and Genis as annoying. Regal is another good character, as well as Sheena and Raine.

Typically my party is Lloyd, Sheena, Zelos, and Raine. I don't know who my favorite is though.

Yeah... I said it earlier too, but I basically like the characters more the later they're introduced. I really don't like Lloyd, Collette and Genis, nor do I really care about Raine. Sheena's fun, Zelos is annoying in a charming way and he does have some depth. Kratos to me is more of a plot point than a character, though. Even if you put him in your party he comes across as an NPC.

Also, do you think you're gonna play the ToS sequel?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah... I said it earlier too, but I basically like the characters more the later they're introduced. I really don't like Lloyd, Collette and Genis, nor do I really care about Raine. Sheena's fun, Zelos is annoying in a charming way and he does have some depth. Kratos to me is more of a plot point than a character, though. Even if you put him in your party he comes across as an NPC.

Also, do you think you're gonna play the ToS sequel?
Maybe. It depends. Right now i'm saving up for a lot of different things so if it fits into my budget, then possibly.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Maybe. It depends. Right now i'm saving up for a lot of different things so if it fits into my budget, then possibly.

Spoiler: It's not very good. I would personally put whatever else you got on your budget list as a higher priority. They change a lot of the voice actors, the protagonist is more often annoying than not, and I really didn't like how the monster training mechanic replaces designing actual characters.

At least the main girl is better than Collette, though, I guess...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I honestly like Lloyd. I think the idea of him being an idiot is overdone, but he as a character is fine. The sequel doesn't appeal to me though, so I will probably take your advice.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rent the sequal at least.

It's not as good as the first but its still pretty fun.

If only for Tenebrae, who is one of the funniest characters in gaming.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And that one side quest boss (forgot his name now) is more of a challenge and badass than Mithos ever was.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There's also that one side quest that involved going into some kind of magic book, where you fought some bizarre enemies that you wouldn't see anywhere else in the game, and I think were some creatures from other Tales games. I forget.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not to mention the arena where you can fight Celes (Zelos' sister) and other Tales characters!

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention the arena where you can fight Celes (Zelos' sister) and other Tales characters!
i believe i beat celes but never the group of previous tales characters and sadly i never got around to going inside the book though i knew it held some significance.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't really remember if you even get anything of importance from beating the book, story-wise or even reward-wise. I ended up beating the game like three or four times, sometimes even back to back... My friends and I were pretty hardcore into that game. As comparison, I *think* I beat ToS2, but it was so forgettable that I can't even be sure. I started replaying through it again and I didn't remember anything except one great line:
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality."
... and they flash back to that line being said like a dozen times.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
ive beaten the game i think 2 or 3 times but never looked up how to get into the book and never took the time to grind my way up to fighting the three previous tales characters.

On a different note...
I kind of wish that Dawn of the New World involved the other characters more. From what i've heard and seen its just Emil Marta and Tenebrae with the occasional visit from the previous protagonists.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Right, and it was actively a bad idea to actually put the ToS1 characters into your party since they couldn't level up. It just wasn't a very fun game compared to ToS1... like a poorly designed pokemon game. Marta was actually a pretty fun character (again, compared to Colette) and Emil was... interesting, sorta. He had a schtick, at least. Tenebrae was entertaining and Richter was cool. And those are all the characters.

Top Bottom