• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Recovery tier list V1.1

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario pros over Falcon:
Has his cape for air stalling.
Better off-stage defense (fireballs, FLUDD, cape, etc.)
Up B that comes out in 3 frames, has an invincible startup, and stupidly high priority
Fixed. Falcon may get better distance but he's still easier to gimp.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Why is Toon Link is high?

Aren't his options his Up-B and one of the shorter tethers in the game?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd have to say Luigi, Samus, Zamus, and Peach would all surpass that.

He should be right above Lucario.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
I just realized this while rereading it for the third time, but Falcon's recovery is better than Mario's.

Uhh...ever heard of a second jump?

Yes. I have heard of that. Still, he is going to be forced to use his Up-B in a lot of recovering situations.

Marth's recovery is better, if not by much. First off, he's floaty, so he can afford to attack his edgeguarder rather than try to avoid him and risk missing the edge. Also, the Side-B stall should deter most edgeguards (both characters' primary weaknesses). Finally, he has invincibility on startup. Marth>Falcon
I agree
Fixed. Falcon may get better distance but he's still easier to gimp.
I don't think so. Again, Falcons up-B is a grab, its fast and slidy, so hard to punish and it has bigger range than mario's. I still think overall Falcon has better recovery than Mario.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
IMO, Ike has two awesome recoveries for different situations. Aether for vertical gain, Quickdraw for horizontal gain. Move him up to at least Rank C plz.
No.

Also why is Fox so much better than Falco? Their recoveries are the same EXACTLY, except for the sole difference that Falco's blink is LONGER than Fox's.
Down B.

Snake needs to be moved DOWN. His recoveries are not reliable and if he gets trapped under a wall/platform/strange object, he is done for. Move him to D please.
No.

Also, why the hell put Ganon with Bowser and Solo crap? He is almost similar to Ike in his recoveries, please move him up to C/High D.
No.

Also, explain why Marth is rank D, he should be at least C if not low B. His recovery is one of the fastest in the game, and it gives one of the highest vertical lifts as well.
... Perhaps.

I don't think so. Again, Falcons up-B is a grab, its fast and slidy, so hard to punish and it has bigger range than mario's. I still think overall Falcon has better recovery than Mario.
Mario's recovery is infinitely safer than Falcon's. The cape stalls and is very useful for getting edgeguarders off of Mario's back. Fireballs can also provide some protection. Up B has invincibility and can be fatal if the opponent screws up. Falcon really doesn't have any of this except for being able to stagespike with Up B and having slightly better distance to cover with his Up B. If both are knocked away from the stage without their double jumps, chances are both of them are not coming back. I can't think of a situation where Falcon could come back while Mario couldn't; the small difference in distance doesn't really mean anything when you consider you have an edgeguarder.

Rank C
Sheik (Below Zelda - it's worse than Zelda's. That's all that needs to be said)
In all honesty, Zelda's recovery loses out to Sheik's.

If Sheik and Zelda double jump + Up B, Sheik actually goes higher than Zelda does. Test this out for yourself.

With that in mind, realize that Sheik's double jump > Zelda's in terms of distance, Sheik falls faster than Zelda does, and Sheik's Up B distance is somewhere around 2/3rds of Zelda's Up B. In terms of distance traveled, Sheik is a lot closer to Zelda than people think. However, there's more to the story.

Sheik's Up B start-up grants invincibility even before Sheik actually disappears. Then, on top of that, upon disappearing there's a powerful explosion. The OP should know just as well as I do that when you combine a powerful attack with invincibility frames, you get a very, very good and safe Up B move as far as start-up goes (see the beginning of Ness's of PKT2 and Marth's Dolphin Slash for similar examples of hard-hitting + cannot be stopped Up Bs). Zelda's, on the other hand, only gives a hitbox. No invincibility. This is a problem because the start-up does a mere 4% and can be pretty much cut through by most aerials. It doesn't even protect her whole body! The start-up time is roughly the same as Sheik's, but it is much unsafer and the attack sucks.

Then they travel... Zelda wins in distance.

Then they reappear. Zelda gets a hitbox and Sheik gets a strong wind effect. Now, as far as edgehogging goes, Zelda's wins because she can knock off edgehoggers. That said, edgehogging either one is still relatively simple because they travel from point A to point B without a hitbox, so as long as you're not vulnerable at the end of Point B for Zelda, there's nothing she can do to you. Zelda gets an advantage for the edgehoggers, but...

... what if they have to land somewhere above the stage or on the stage? Long-story short, both can be shielded, and it's a matter of who gains control faster. Sheik's wind effect is larger, though. Also, Sheik falls faster than Zelda does, so if they have to warp in the air, Sheik will hit the ground first and will therefore gain control faster like that. As for who gains control fastest if they warp into the stage (like just warping down), I dunno if there's a difference in speed between the two... but yeah, I say that Sheik and Zelda are around even in terms of Up B...

... then you take into account the fact that Sheik can dair to get down from the air quickly, can use her neutral B to attack those from a distance on the stage, in the air, or on the ledge (without going into freefall!) and has a good tether, and you can see that Sheik is the clear winner of recovery between those two.

I don't know how you can edit the list for just those two, considering there are other characters between them, but Sheik > Zelda, always.

I didn't even mention how Sheik's Up B can also boost Sheik just a little bit so that she can move with invincibility and grab the ledge without ever having disappeared.

Zelda does have Nayru's, but that's more of a stall and not exactly recovering. Might as well airdodge if you're trying to recover.

No, Sheik > Zelda, always.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I have no idea what this means. I think its getting at the fact that Olimar has far better horizontal aerial movement than Ivysaur, which is a big plus. Also, Olimar has whistle armour.

Olimar > Ivysaur
An Olimar with no purple pikmin can't get someone off the edge though...I do despise Ivy's aerial speed though

Luthien

Smash Ace
I didn't even mention how Sheik's Up B can also boost Sheik just a little bit so that she can move with invincibility and grab the ledge without ever having disappeared.

Zelda does have Nayru's, but that's more of a stall and not exactly recovering. Might as well airdodge if you're trying to recover.

No, Sheik > Zelda, always.
Correct. Not to mention the fact that Sheik can KO an overconfident opponent with Vanish by luring them into the explosion, whereas Farore's Wind is hardly a threat. Both teleports have a long start-up time, but Sheik's is far safer.

As for covering yourself with a projectile as you recover, I'm going to say that both Sheik's and Zelda's projectiles are equally useful (in the sense that neither have much use). Sheik's vertical recover means that while recovering low she can't use her needles (the opponent is most likely above her), whereas Zelda's might actually come close to the opponent, but she can't do anything after activating Din's. You'd need to use both projectiles while recovering from high up, and that isn't wise in Zelda's case, whereas Sheik can utilise her needles without making herself too vulnerable or virtually commiting suicide. Neither are great, but Sheik's projectile is better in the recovery sense.

I'm also going to mention the chain if only to point out Sheik has more options when recovering too. Compare it to Zelda's side-b and... I just laugh.

Also, Nayru's hardly helps Zelda recover. It stops her forward momentum (which is the only good aspect of Zelda's second jump: the horizontal distance) and you're helpless as you fall a few seconds after executing it.

I don't want to give the impression that Zelda's recovery is far worse than Sheik's. You're more likely to hit with the reappearing animation of Farore's Wind than the explosion of Vanish, and while both teleports can travel in virtually 40 directions, the differences are far more significant with Zelda's teleport (because of it's greater distance) and this gives you better recovery mind-game options overall.

So yeah, the two are pretty close, but I'd have to say in the end Zelda's is worse. I'd suggest keeping them where they are for now, but consider lowering them both as the list becomes more accurate.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Question. Should Olimar actually be above Ivy?

I had ivy over him simply because of his reliable tether (always long+longer than 6 pikmin)

but Oli has his whistle, infinitely better aerial movement too. All in favor?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I used to think that Ivy had the better recovery, but now that I think about it, I just about always have to Up B with Ivy, whereas that's usually rarely the case with Olimar.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Im thinking of moving Bowser out of E. Good idea? I mean, he has decent aerial mobility, with bad jumps and a simple Up B. Over Ike or Falco maybe?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Bowser is not > Ike. Ike can actually recovery vertically, can recovery fairly far horizontally if he DI'd upwards and saved his DJ, and has better air mobility IIRC. Ike was only a few spots below dead center in the air mobility list......at least a few spots below dead center in mid tier. Didnt' actually go and count the spots.

And I still say Ike > Falco based on what I posted before....

Marth Xero

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't Pikachu be above Wario? Quick attack has huge range, but it takes a bit of practice to get it just right.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Wario can get huge distance with bike and a well charged fart, but bike is very gimpable, and it takes time for fart... I think I agree with you.

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet

Rank E
Bowser
Link
Ganondorf
Olimar
Ivysaur
Solo Climber
Solo Olimar
I think Olimar belongs in front of Link and Ganondorf, personally. I second Link just for fun, and I find Olimar has a much easier time getting back on the stage than Link does, Zair or no. Link and Ganon fall about ninety times faster than Olimar does. Olimar has a nice, lofty second jump, and although he's easily gimped, I think Link and Ganon are gimped just as easily, if not easier. Idk, might be bias towards Oli in me, but I sincerely think his recovery beats out Link's, at least.

I was going to nominate Olimar to be king of the E-rankers, but I know absolutely nothing about Bowser to make that claim. Never played a pro Bowser, so I wouldn't know.

Redthorn21

Smash Rookie
Bowser should be out of the E rank, he has good air movement plus his up be is better attack then luigi's (without sweetspot) and falco's. It has little start up time while falco needs to charge his. It is also high priority and high knockback. It is also a good edgeguard move as it leads to a egdehog.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
pikachu should be higher, like below sonic, wario's is overrated (so in Snake's)

otherwise basically fine.

TVTMaster

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, seriously? Pit over ROB? That's kind of, I dunno, stupid. Rob's got a great aerial game and can attack in the middle of his recovery and start it up again afterwards, and moves significantly faster. His projectiles are also superior to Pit's in terms of usability offstage. Pit's got what, a glide? Note that that doesn't give vertical distance and to be honest if either of them are above ledge level their projectiles and jumps will get them back. Really, it comes down to whether 2 extra jumps beats out the ability to do anything you want during an amazing ^B.

Redthorn21

Smash Rookie
Whoa, seriously? Pit over ROB? That's kind of, I dunno, stupid. Rob's got a great aerial game and can attack in the middle of his recovery and start it up again afterwards, and moves significantly faster. His projectiles are also superior to Pit's in terms of usability offstage. Pit's got what, a glide? Note that that doesn't give vertical distance and to be honest if either of them are above ledge level their projectiles and jumps will get them back. Really, it comes down to whether 2 extra jumps beats out the ability to do anything you want during an amazing ^B.
Also if Pit gets attacked during his ^B he is left helpless which really hurts his recovery if he is agianst a skilled player.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
The following contains my opinion, and nothing more

i think kirby > or = jiggs. why?

kirby has his hammer for horizontal movement and stall and final cutter for vertical recovery. kirby has better vertical recovery than jiggs. either way, if kirby beats jiggs on verticalness and jiggs beats kirby on horizontalness, it should even out

i disagree on pit's place. he has 3 midair jumps, gliding, and WoI. if you attack him in WoI mode, it's auto-death. so all you have to do is shoot a projectile (even super weak ones, like the ice blok) or pursue him offstage and use a quick, non-laggy attack. he should be on rank A

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
The following contains my opinion, and nothing more

i think kirby > or = jiggs. why?

kirby has his hammer for horizontal movement and stall and final cutter for vertical recovery. kirby has better vertical recovery than jiggs. either way, if kirby beats jiggs on verticalness and jiggs beats kirby on horizontalness, it should even out

i disagree on pit's place. he has 3 midair jumps, gliding, and WoI. if you attack him in WoI mode, it's auto-death. so all you have to do is shoot a projectile (even super weak ones, like the ice blok) or pursue him offstage and use a quick, non-laggy attack. he should be on rank A
Pit also has wing renewal. I'm still not exactly sure how it's done, though.

Lethon

Smash Rookie
Sorry I'm new, but what's the difference between the recoveries of LUcas and Ness?
too lazy to look back 12 pages =p

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
Small detail but ROB over Pit?
Like previously said Pit can be easily gimped and his recoveries are pretty predictable. ROB has laser/gyro/n-air and can easily maneuver his recoveries to become unpredictable.

tocador

Smash Lord
Small detail but ROB over Pit?
Like previously said Pit can be easily gimped and his recoveries are pretty predictable. ROB has laser/gyro/n-air and can easily maneuver his recoveries to become unpredictable.
Play a good pit, i mean, he can glide, a f**** glide, has 4 jumps not three, and WoI wich has a wind in the start-up, and that a pro pit will only use as last resort. Besides he haveing DownB to reflect projectiles(not during WoI who), a arrow to get some edge hoggers and a Side-B wich can be used for recovery.

While R.O.B has, 2 regular jumps wich some good aerials and some projectiles. of course he has The OP UpB, but i mean he cant air dodge from it, and the aerials arent that great if foresaw. Yeah he has a great recovery, but not one thats better than pit.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Jigglypuff is right where she belongs.
For any attack that sends Jiggs up and away from the edge she won't even have to jump to get back. DI and rising pounds will always get him back just fine.
And when the attack sends him below he has several jumps to get up to the huge sweetspot zone of Brawl.

Kirby has more recovery problems than Jiggly. Yes, better vertical distance but overall. The hammer helps out with horizontal but isn't nearly as useful as rising pounds. Also in terms of safety Jiggs can always just easily float under the stage to take the other edge.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Sorry I'm new, but what's the difference between the recoveries of LUcas and Ness?
too lazy to look back 12 pages =p
lucas's PKT2 goes farther, and they have different looping trajectory (iirc), and lucas has PK fire jump with that down_B moving thingy, plus the snake tether. ness just has PKT2.

btw, welcome to SWF! :laugh:

Laem

Smash Champion
Funnily enough this'll be my first post 'cause i usually just read stuff, but here's what i have to say: Firstly, G&W should go up, all the way up, just below MK. his aerial movement is sweet, but more noticable is his up b, it has invinc frames at first, plain high priority after those frames, it sweetspots the ledge AND covers a great distance, i reckon his recovery is only rivalled by MK. other than that, i reckon bowser and ike should switch positions, as ike is easier to gimp, and bowser's up b is rather similar to DK's , who is a few places above. Fox n diddy should also switch, cause diddy's recovery is more versatile and covers a greater distance, also, if it has come to the point where fox needs his upB for vertical recovery, edgehogging is usually sufficient. Thats all i can think of for now :)

Plu-e

Smash Cadet
Uhm, perhaps you should look at characters that can go under neath final destination and put them in the upper ranks

Luigi and Pikachu need to be pushed up as they both can go underneath the stage.
Charizard should be higher as he has the glide ability
Olimar has longest tether ability
Lucas is high why?

The list also seems to lack the ability to wall jump and wall hold

Browny

Smash Hater
you also gotta consider how safe it is. It takes luigi like 7 seconds or something to go from one edge to the other, most of the top/high characters can do that much faster.

Adapt

Smash Lord
If any one is interested... all these chars can make it under final destination:

Marth, Meta knight, Pit, Charizard, Pikachu, Jiggly Puff, Lucario, Wario, Luigi, Lucas, Toon link
Link, Snake, Diddy kong, Sonic, Kirby, Yoshi, Peach, Ice climbers, R.O.B, Samus, Zero Suit Samus

Link has an absolutely terrible recovery and can still make it with a bomb... That's why this wouldn't be really useful in helping with this list.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Ivysaur's recovery IMO is a bit better than Olimar's. Razor leaf works better against edgehoggers that Pikmin throw, and Ivy's fair has a taller hitbox than Olimar's fair. Pito possibly a step lower, Ness maybe a bit up. Yoshi a bit up. Actually, pretty much everything needs to be changed. I'll post later.

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Ivysaur's Vine Whip is better than Olimar's Pikmin Chain. Ivysaur's is always at maximum, while Olimar's may or may not have enough Pikmin. Also, if Ivysaur wishes to hit an opponent on the edge, Razor Leaf doesn't "waste recovery" like Pikmin Throw does. Down Flower Pop also can stop falling for a moment, mindgaming the opponent's timing.

EDIT: woops one post late lol. But I guess I elaborated?

Top Bottom