• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UST 15 (Utah Melee Tournament - June)

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
I play melee more than brawl actually, thanks to the people in my complex. I only play brawl when I'm around you peoples........ Maybe we could have melee be bi-monthly?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I play melee more than brawl actually, thanks to the people in my complex. I only play brawl when I'm around you peoples........ Maybe we could have melee be bi-monthly?
Don't we already have Melee bi-monthly? One for ToF and one for UST.
EDIT:Never mind, got my terms mixed up.

Sexy Yaz

Smash Apprentice
I never play melee but I bet I can take any of you :p

(Dai is exempted from that and maybe PC hehe)

DZLE

Smash Master
It's quite annoying how "bimonthly" could potentially mean "once every two months" or "twice a month". Same thing with "biweekly".

No! Money match me, instead!
I always get mixed up with the bi- stuff. like in schoolwork or work or anywhere. I thought it was because i was stupid but since even you say its annoying maybe there is still hope for me >.>

Btw, i just asked if i could take work off for UST 1, because i never went to a single MA, and i really want to start going, so i really am going to start going. no lies.

EDIT:
Whoahhh PC MM, I accept!

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
By bimonthly, I mean every other month................But I can see the confusion.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'm going to set the next date to March 28th. Nobody had any problems with it when I asked, and that was a week ago.

Start a vote on Singles vs Doubles for both Melee and Brawl.

Still looking for a better word for the "b".
Melee teams and singles. Yeah...I said it! A pure Brawl player votes for Melee! And I actually thought about it, and I have three good reasons why everyone else should.

1. ToF and the mini stuff each week, to me at least, seems to be the tourney where we "ease" in the new people. This tourney is mainly for the hardcore, and I see those who play Melee come to these more than they do to ToF, just to play Melee.

2. Usually, this tourney is at the end of the month, right before the Power Rankings are updated. And the rankings depending mostly on singles, with a few varies in the other category. So why tire ourselves out quicker with doubles here when we need our energy for singles? I personally want to do my best in singles so I stand out more for the rankings.

3. Our Melee scene is lacking...much. I think if we have a tourney that focuses more on Melee, that the scene will become bigger. I know it won't happen overnight, but if we give it a few months, then our Melee scene could grow, which many of us kinda want to happen.

Anyway, something that crossed my mind driving home tonight. I think this could benefit the Melee and Brawl players in the end. You guys can think otherwise.

And you know, I may end up doing Melee competively like I do Brawl. I'm loving Mario and Ganon in the game, and I want to get better. So, your Melee scene is growing a little bit. So, again, a vote for Melee singles and doubles.

And I agree with the name. UST doesn't sound good. We either need a better first letter (I suggest S for Smash or Stampede, so we get SUST (Smash Utah State Tournament, or maybe FTS' real name if it makes a word, I dunno what it is though), or changing the acronym altogether (I think, as long as it has Utah and Smash in it somewhere, we can make a variation out of it).

Anyway, whatever.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think people liked Brawl doubles because it's a nice warmup right before Brawl singles, but I do see where you're coming from.

I'm neutral on this subject. I prefer Melee over Brawl, but that might bring less people to these tourneys.
I wish more people would enter, so they can get better. But we've already done 1 dollar tourneys at ToF and we still had somewhat of a small turn out.

Too bad there's not like some "Junior Division" tourney. Then they don't have to worry about facing people like PC, David, and etc.

vazor

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...
Break
Blast
Bomb
Baddest
Battle
Battling
Or maybe something japanese...
Baku - explosive
Binshou na - agile
Benri - useful
Bakageta - ridiculous
Bannou na - almighty
Byouki/Byou-teki - sick/sickest

I wish more people would enter, so they can get better. But we've already done 1 dollar tourneys at ToF and we still had somewhat of a small turn out.

Too bad there's not like some "Junior Division" tourney. Then they don't have to worry about facing people like PC, David, and etc.
Interesting idea. I wonder if that would help encourage people.

And you know, I may end up doing Melee competively like I do Brawl. I'm loving Mario and Ganon in the game, and I want to get better. So, your Melee scene is growing a little bit. So, again, a vote for Melee singles and doubles.

And I agree with the name. UST doesn't sound good. We either need a better first letter (I suggest S for Smash or Stampede, so we get SUST (Smash Utah State Tournament, or maybe FTS' real name if it makes a word, I dunno what it is though), or changing the acronym altogether (I think, as long as it has Utah and Smash in it somewhere, we can make a variation out of it).
Yay welcome to the more advanced game, Lanky!

And lol inb4 NUTS: Nate's Utah Tourney of Smash XD

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Melee in utah is dead.
You watched me bring a different "dead" community in Utah to be bigger than brawl. You weren't there when I did the same for Melee here. Watch me do it again.

I think people liked Brawl doubles because it's a nice warmup right before Brawl singles, but I do see where you're coming from.
There is time on the schedule for warmups. People who show up late don't get to warm up. They are lucky to get in at all.

We could accomplish the same thing as a junior division with a few rounds of Swiss before going into a final bracket with the top 4 or so. :)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Taking out brawl doubles is going to decrease the amount of people that actually show up. It also gives me less incentive to come >_>

wangston

Smash Lord
Why don't we have more set ups that would solve everything. We could run all the tournaments in a timely fashion and there would be plenty of time for friendlies.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Just get rid of all the other systems playing a different game.
If you brought a tournament console that isn't being used, then come talk to me. Otherwise, I can't assume you brought one, and I'm not going to let a TV go to waste. Better than complaining about it afterward.

I could make space for several more TVs, but I would need to be expecting at least 2 more TVs to be coming.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Taking out brawl doubles is going to decrease the amount of people that actually show up. It also gives me less incentive to come >_>
It is every single melee player with that mindset that makes everyone think the try is not worth it. While I am pretty much donewith all smash competitively, I woudl like to see the Melee scene flourish again because party games DO NOT belong at tournaments.

In fact i woudl like thsi tourney to be a pure Melee tourney JUST for my raisin friend T_T.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Eat it PC ;)

Gojira, I love how you say you hate brawl, but then you will sit there and $1 dollar money match me over and over for over an hour. I also love how you say you're done with tourneys, but I know I will see you at the next one. And I have that mind set because that is what happens. I used to enter melee, and last time I did there were a total of two teams in it. And by your raisin friend you mean junpei right? He lives in AZ now...

FTS, we had two wiis that were just sitting there last time, and that was not counting mine that I forgot. We almost always get more wiis than actually get set up due to other consoles being set up.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
And by your raisin friend you mean junpei right? He lives in AZ now...
Did Junpei end up moving sooner than expected? The last time I asked (which was at the last tournament), he said he's not moving until the end of March.

Its because I know you will win :D
I havent seen Kenny in melee yet, so he gets to mm more money??
Bad logic.
The last time Kenny and I played in a Melee tournament, he beat me (I'm not kidding). So you should switch the MM dollar amount for us. :)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
PC, you conniving little person. You know you're better than me now. I don't play.

But I heard that last one was his last tourney because he was moving? Maybe I heard wrong...

Gojira

Smash Lord
Eat it PC ;)

Gojira, I love how you say you hate brawl, but then you will sit there and $1 dollar money match me over and over for over an hour. I also love how you say you're done with tourneys, but I know I will see you at the next one. And I have that mind set because that is what happens. I used to enter melee, and last time I did there were a total of two teams in it. And by your raisin friend you mean junpei right? He lives in AZ now...
How long ago were those MMes? But yeah it wasnt the game that kept me MMing it was the rivalry. The past two tournies I have played ONE brawl match(it may even be three tourneys) Brawl is bad and I dont like it period.About me still coming to tourneys.... I have been coming for Street fighter that past few tournies if you havent even noticed. Besides I also made it very clear that I would be attending tourneies until the fall semester. I have not said "this is my last tourney" for some time now. So yes, I will be at the next tourney.

It just saddens me to see people blow so much time into a game that everyone CLEARLY KNOWS its bad when this could easily be a huge scene with SF or even just Melee again.

ABOUT RAISIN BOYHe said he planned on moving and would make it a last tourney but he is in the attendance list again. He told me maybe by the end of the month. So he may be here for it ionno. Maybe the Raisin should clarify?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I will never get into sf. Sorry, but it just doesn't appeal to me. And our MMs were two tourneys ago. That tourney you MMed me without winning like any of them for like an hour against a character I had been using for less than a week. I wouldn't call that a rivalry :laugh:

I wasn't saying that I don't want to see you at the tourneys, cause I like you haha. It's just that you've been saying that for like 3 years now.

And if everyone "CLEARLY KNOWS" it's bad then I don't see how this horrible game could have such a big scene compared to your other better games. [/sarcasm] Don't assume everyone thinks exactly like you. It wil get you nowhere in life. People obviously like this game a lot, or the brawl scene would not be as big as it is.

Top Bottom