• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah's Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny 2

Gojira

Smash Lord
Taj is the only real pro from Arizona (except for maybe Forward). As gnosis just stated, you should be less specific; the term 'pro' has an exact definition now. :chuckle: But I agree, it shouldn't be too hard to attract really good players.

Starting in 2007, I'm going to run a test: does being married make you a better or worse smasher? We'll find out! :laugh: I am getting married in Utah on December 29.

And hey, look at what I found in my dormitory restroom?

<3 Gojira! ^_^
That same exact thing is at my job

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Just out of curiosity, how on earth will triple-elimination work? You lose once to enter the losers' bracket; you lose twice to enter the losers' losers' bracket?? That'd be trippy. O_O

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm really eager to know more about this. When are more details going to be released? How often does the BAUST committee meet?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I think I'm going to train my (future) wife up to be my doubles partner. ;)

Takalth

Smash Ace
Starting in 2007, I'm going to run a test: does being married make you a better or worse smasher? We'll find out! :laugh: I am getting married in Utah on December 29.
Cool, I'll come to the reception.
EDIT:Nevermind, I'll be in Missouri, then.

Oh, and I think being married makes you better. My older brother is close to my skill level and has played less than 1/20 of the amount of smash I have (literally). His wife does plays smash with him, though (that might be a requirement).

Takalth

Smash Ace
Just a thought:
I'm guessing that this tournament is going to attract a lot of leeches. People will want to come play against the pros or out-of-state smashers but won't want to pay $50 for a tournament that they know they won't win. Unless I missed something in the thread, these people will be allowed in. My prediction is that Utah is going to have more leeches than tournament competitors (and we might get some leeches from other states, too).

So what I suggest is a "leech fee" of $10-$15, where if you aren't entering the tournament, you still have to pay to come play with all of the extra smashers. It's a fairly reasonable price (I always pay $5 for tournaments I know I'm not going to win, and I don't even get to play pros there), and that will build up a larger money pot than we would have had otherwise.

I don't think there will be anybody who would have entered the tournament but will instead pay the leech fee (as they could have come to play for free), but in addition to leeches, there are people like me who weren't planning on coming because I would be playing without contributing, so in a way, you might actually get more people.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Just a thought:
I'm guessing that this tournament is going to attract a lot of leeches. People will want to come play against the pros or out-of-state smashers but won't want to pay $50 for a tournament that they know they won't win. Unless I missed something in the thread, these people will be allowed in. My prediction is that Utah is going to have more leeches than tournament competitors (and we might get some leeches from other states, too).

So what I suggest is a "leech fee" of $10-$15, where if you aren't entering the tournament, you still have to pay to come play with all of the extra smashers. It's a fairly reasonable price (I always pay $5 for tournaments I know I'm not going to win, and I don't even get to play pros there), and that will build up a larger money pot than we would have had otherwise.

I don't think there will be anybody who would have entered the tournament but will instead pay the leech fee (as they could have come to play for free), but in addition to leeches, there are people like me who weren't planning on coming because I would be playing without contributing, so in a way, you might actually get more people.
After you pay the money for your ticket (wether it be a food or non-food ticket) you will be supplied with a badge to hang around your neck. If you are caught without a badge around your neck you will be asked to leave the property !!EVEN IF I OR ANOTHER HOST REMEMBER YOU PAYING!!. There will be spectator badges that will give you permission to watch matches ONLY. Those with spectator badges caught playing matches will have their badges taken away and they will be asked to leave the property.

p.s. If you are found without a badge you can pay the entry fee+5 dollar late fee to gain another Badge (will apply for first badge if late). This will apply even on that last day of singles finals. Made it to the finals? DO NOT FORGET YOU BADGE!

Problem Solved

Gojira

Smash Lord
Please

UPDATES ADDED!

However we need to start advertising but............

I need to know who can help with housing, and who is donating. !!!keep in mind if you donate, you can play the pros wether you go to the tournament or not!!! If you house a pro you obviously get to play that pro. Come one it is NOW time to start advertising if we want to have this in the anounced date. I dont want to advertise until everything is finalized.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I will be unable to house pros for sure. I'll see about the donating.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i dont know, its weird having strangers staying with you...but yea 4 people is the best i can do. BC and Yamer have dibs because i kinda know them. I'll let you know if i can house more people when you post a date on the tournament.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
i dont know, its weird having strangers staying with you...but yea 4 people is the best i can do. BC and Yamer have dibs because i kinda know them. I'll let you know if i can house more people when you post a date on the tournament.
I don't know about the rest of you, but for me you kinda get used to it. You suddenly develop this unnatural trust for all smashers everywhere. :chuckle:

Gojira

Smash Lord
Understandable, but, I will take full responsibility for antything the pros do. I will probably house you with non pros anyways.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Can you post a tentative schedule of when all of the events are going to take place? I need to know if it's worth missing work to come play on sunday if it does go that long.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I hope my (future) wife permits me to come. :)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
About the schedule, are you planning on starting normal doubles and singles(if time) only on Saturday or is there a possibility that doubles might happen on Friday? Also, are the stages for low tier different from normal stages?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
50 dollars! Wow, kinda expensive for your out of state friends. But as soon as you guys set a date i'll try to figure out a way to get some of the CO players there if possible.
<3 Colorado!

w00t! :D

Gojira

Smash Lord
About the schedule, are you planning on starting normal doubles and singles(if time) only on Saturday or is there a possibility that doubles might happen on Friday? Also, are the stages for low tier different from normal stages?
stage rules are going to be the same for both low tier and high tier

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I'm going to have to ask you to change the thread title. It's technically a censor dodge, so just change it to something a bit more appropriate or remove it altogether.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I knew this will one day get caught by the "no censor dodge" rule. LOL But without that, this tourny name will sound too plain, so may I suggest changing the name, altogether. Perhaps "Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny II"...or not...just a suggestion.....

Gojira

Smash Lord
This touney neds to get its advertising campaign going like, now!
Everyone needs to start looking for an place thats not to expensive to host this tournament r it is not going ot happen.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
This touney neds to get its advertising campaign going like, now!
Everyone needs to start looking for an place thats not to expensive to host this tournament r it is not going ot happen.
Weren't you saying something about Play N Trade letting you host it at one of their stores?

UtahLuge

Smash Rookie
I was in Play N Trade and they are all for hosting tournys. Just need to call them. I brought it up but hopefully its not to expensive.

Gojira said one place he called was $600 per day!!!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I was in Play N Trade and they are all for hosting tournys. Just need to call them. I brought it up but hopefully its not to expensive.

Gojira said one place he called was $600 per day!!!
I've actually been to a tournament hosted by Play N Trade and they only have two cubes for use. I guess that wouldn't really be a huge problem if other people brought their own cubes but I think their stores are too small to host something this big.

lengeta

Smash Ace
January's coming fast, so getting a date and location nailed down soon would be greatly appriciated, especially with how big and expensive it's going to be. I missed one hell of a good tourny this month, and I don't want to miss many more. I definatly need to get my Falco back up to speed (Anime Banzai was a joke) and get my Fox good enough to back me when needed. I hate working weekends, but for this thing I'll make sure and get everything off well in advance.

Even though I can never make them, lets keep the smashfests (even the small ones) coming, I really need to play more diverse people that my own crew; they don't even attend the tournaments. :(

laozy

Smash Journeyman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey i got a place...
U of U union building at the Saltair room
$130 per day
only days we could get is 1/10 and 1/11 (wed and thur)
holds up to 150 people
5 av cords
4 movie screen
chairs and tables
10 power outlets

Takalth

Smash Ace
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey i got a place...
U of U union building at the Saltair room
$130 per day
only days we could get is 1/10 and 1/11 (wed and thur)
holds up to 150 people
5 av cords
4 movie screen
chairs and tables
10 power outlets
Are those the only available January days or the only available days period. The price and facilities sound great, but it would be better to hold it a month late on a weekend than trying to get people to come during the middle of the week.

Top Bottom