• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vaati for SSBB?*Moveset added*

burrito

Smash Lord
You're FOR Celda and AGAINST Skullie? Man, you're opinions are WHACK. I'm personally against any more different versions of the same character stuff. But that's off topic.
I'm not AGAINST Skull Kid. I just don't care if he's in it or not

Skyshroud said:
I guess if you follow that logic, Captain Falcon is redundant because Roy uses fire attacks...
It's not the same. They may use fire attacks,but it is not what defines their character. Link is the Hero of Winds and Vaati is a wind sorcerer. I can't really think of a good way of including them both while still having original movesets. Then again, if they give cel shaded Link some Four Swords themed moves, they might be able to make him original.

Eaode said:
Vaati, as a wind sorcerer, would bring an AWESOME and original moveset. And I argue against WW link (AKA Hero of winds) for brawl. He's just another link, as Y. Link was. You could give him different moves than link, but those moves could be used for link, they just arent. In tat logic, we should have another Mario, and another Samus, because you could give them different moves. Hell, you could even have 12 Samuses (Sami??), or more, and have them all ave different moves.
I guess I should explain why I want cel shaded Link.

I never really understood why they decided to put Adult Link instead of Young Link. I mean Young Link has always been the real Link. The Zelda series have always been about a boy on an adventure and how he matures along the way. I guess that's why they decided to put Young Link in Melee. So, since Young Link is the real Link, I think they should include him in brawl as well, but just like houw they are using the newest incarnation of Adult Link (Twilight Princess Link), they would use the newest incarnation of Young Link (cel shaded Link). Not only that, but Cel shaded Link seems to be the most used incarnation of Link. Not only would he be representing the Wind Waker games (The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass), but also the Four Swords series (Four Swords, Four swords adventures, and The Minish Cap). That means that he has a huge variety of moves to choose from that Adult Link could never use. Additionally, I like the idea of having clashing art styles in Brawl. Just like Mr. Game & Watch, Cel shaded Link will really stand out.

Also, in my opinion, there already are two Samuses, but that's a whole other arguement that don't want to get into right now.

D

Deleted member

They put in older Link because most people liked the version in OoT, who now is the one most people talk about when they refer to 'Link'.

Think about it. Why is there 'Young Link' called that in in Melee, and his older form not caled 'Older Link'? Because most peoples' idea of Link is of a late-teenage adventurer.

Also, just becaue people share the same title doesn't mean they fight similarly. Link is not a wind magican, but Vaati is (and Wind Sage Fado would use a violin as an offensive weapon :().

tirkaro

Smash Champion
nah, no vaati

majora could kick skull kids AND vaati's *** :p
I say no to vaati. also majora is cooler. no vaati or skull kid >: (.... only majora. did I mention majora pwnz? >:3[/majora fanboy]

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind seeing Vaati in Brawl at all, but I feel that there is at least one Zelda character who deserves it much much more than Vaati does, who needs to be included first: Kafei.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
It's not the same. They may use fire attacks,but it is not what defines their character. Link is the Hero of Winds and Vaati is a wind sorcerer. I can't really think of a good way of including them both while still having original movesets. Then again, if they give cel shaded Link some Four Swords themed moves, they might be able to make him original.
What do you mean by that? Again, you described yourself the reason why they WOULD have different movesets. The hero of winds is Link, a sword user. Base his moveset off of his sword. Vaati is a wind sorcerer. Base his moveset off of magic. I don't even understand how you could not give these two original movesets.

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
Vaati should be in SSBB because he's the next biggest Zelda villian after Gannon. His wind moves and sword play would make him unique and his transformation would be a cool Super Smash.

Vaati Fan 4Eva!!:chuckle: :chuckle:

burrito

Smash Lord
What do you mean by that? Again, you described yourself the reason why they WOULD have different movesets. The hero of winds is Link, a sword user. Base his moveset off of his sword. Vaati is a wind sorcerer. Base his moveset off of magic. I don't even understand how you could not give these two original movesets.
The dilemma I have though is making cel shaded Links attacks different from Vaati's and different from Twilight Princess Link's attacks. Cel shaded Link using wind attacks rather than just generic sword attacks was what was supposed to make his moves different from Twilight Princess Link's moves. I was thinking that they could give cel shaded Link some Four Swords themed attacks instead. I think it would be cool that when you did a smash attack with Link he would split into two Links and slash you. His super move would involve him splitting into all four Links and tag teaming you.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I posted a unique sword moveset for YL here. Add some four sword attacks to that and change the B Moves and you have two different Links without really restricting Vaati at all. That would leave plenty of uniqueness if they decide to add him in brawl.

EDIT - Also look at the Wind Waker Link's Moves thread. That should help explain my point further.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Majora is the ugliest character ever made by anyone ever. Skull Kid possessed by Majora's Mask = yes. Majora's Mask by itself = lame.

burrito

Smash Lord
Yeah, with some four swords moves, I'm sure they could give cel-shaded Link a totally awesome and original moveset.

hmm.. maybe I'll try to think up a moveset for Vaati later.

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
vaatis a.....boy?! O.o oh man i feel stupid about now

anyway yesh for vaati!!!! id love to see more zelda characters in the game (i've never liked the games, but i sure like the characters, lol kinda weird..)

Eaode

Smash Champion
^^ not that wierd, I didn't care for Starfox Adventures at all, but Krystal needs to be in Brawl.
I played the Minish Cap again today, and fought Vaati, so with my refreshed memory, I may make a moveset soon.

D

Deleted member

vaatis a.....boy?!
Ever played Fire Emblem (U.S)?

Anyway, Vaati's a good magican, a difficult boss, and a good vilain (perhaps the most likely to be included from Zelda after the three, considering he appeared in several games).

I certainly wouldn't mind maining him.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Vaati? No. Someone from Twilight Princess? Yes.

If, somehow, Vaati turned up in TP, then maybe. =)

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Vaati? No. Someone from Twilight Princess? Yes.

If, somehow, Vaati turned up in TP, then maybe. =)
Why does Vaati's lack of appearance in TP decrease his chances to zero? He would be used as an advertisement for the Game Boy Zelda games, seeing as he is a major recurring villian. This is even more plausable with the upcoming game (Phantom Hourglass) in which Vaati could make an appearance.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
He has the most chance out of all the new zelda villains (Skull Kids in OoT are just Kokoris who got lost so they don't count as a skull kid appearance) he would be fun.

burrito

Smash Lord
Why does Vaati's lack of appearance in TP decrease his chances to zero? He would be used as an advertisement for the Game Boy Zelda games, seeing as he is a major recurring villian. This is even more plausable with the upcoming game (Phantom Hourglass) in which Vaati could make an appearance.
Agreed. It's not like Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game. There is going to be plenty representation for Twilight Princess. Although, I'm not sure if we will see Vaati in Phantom Hourglass. So far he's only showed up in Four Swords games.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
He could very well turn up in Phantom Hourglass, as Ganon is taken care of. Vaati seems to be timeless; like Link, Zelda, Ganon, and Tingle.

However. Everyone is talking about how he'll have great moves because he's a Wind Mage. I ask you people: Have you ever seen him use Wind Magic? Have you ever fought him in the humanoid form people want in smash? Have you ever seen him with a sword?

Now, I'm not saying that a moveset cannot be made, but it won't be as simple or bad*ss as you guys are saying.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Agreed. It's not like Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game. There is going to be plenty representation for Twilight Princess. Although, I'm not sure if we will see Vaati in Phantom Hourglass. So far he's only showed up in Four Swords games.
and minish cap.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Actually, Vaati has never fought in human form I don't think, but in Minish cap, his Semi-human form used a couple of moves that would be awesome for smash

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
He's also meant to be a champion martial artist, so his A moves shouldn't be too hard to think up. The wind element is also quite versatile, it just requires a little bit of imagination.

As for Vaati's possible appearance in Phantom hourglass, it's debateable. He does seem to be a likely candidate as almost all the Celda games have him, but all of them revolve around the Four swords. It might actually be a new villain entirely.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
@Xianfeng: Yeah, the Picori Blade is the four blade. If you want to confirm it yourself, finish the game =).

Eaode

Smash Champion
Vaati Moveset.

Attributes:

Speed: 3/5
Size: 3/5
Weight: 2.5/5
Traction: 2/5
Power: 4/5
Fall Speed (Gravity): 2/5

Moves:

A: Sword Swipe: A simple horizontal swipe to the right
A,A: Kick: Spins clockwise and kicks with his left foot. Ends facing the other direction if A is not pressed again.
A,A,A: After spinning, he swipes downward diagonally.
Dash A: Slides to a stop with sword extended (like Link's from SSB64)

>A: Bends his knees and punches with his right hand. If the opponent is out of range (But still close), they will be blown backward a small amount
vA: Stands erect and swings at the ground (Think Marth's dancing blade, third hit vB)
^A: Extends his arm upward, and anyone above him is blown upward further, preventing strikes from above.

Forward Smash: Vaati swings his sword powerfully to the right. If A is pressed again, he will spin around and bring slice his sword down vertically. This will release a small gust of wind, like Kirby's Final Cutter, but smaller and with less range. Anyone that has over 75% hit by this will be turned around like Mario's cape. :lick:
Down Smash: Vaati crosses his arms and quickly jerks them toward the ground. Two balls of energy/air will appear near the ground (like Mewtwo's Dsmash, but on both sides) and knock away enemies.
Up Smash: Slashes upward (like marth's uptilt but stronger) and sends out a small burst of air that cuts opponents.

Nair: Vaati spins once in the air, with sword extended, and slashes opponents on both sides of him.
Fair: Swings his right arm diagonally and releases a small batch of burning embers outward a short distance.
Bair: He holds his sword upward in his fist and swings behind him. This is hard to explain, He's holding the sword almost perpendicular to his arm, if he were holding his arm out straight. So if someone is directly behind him, they would get hit by his fist first, not the sword.
Uair: Releases a small gust beneath him and rises a (Very) small distance while slashing upward
Dair: Bends his arms and legs in, and then stretches them out (like Ness), If an opponent is out of range (but still close) it will blow the slightly downward. If It connects directly, it is a meteor smash.

Specials:

Neutral B: Energy blast: Vaati will hold his Right hand at shoulder height, clawing his fingers. A small energy ball will begin to appear in his hand. Max charge time is equal t Samus's charge shot, but you can stop anytime. When you are done charging, he will carry it in his right hand. You can also fire it upward or downward, delivering some special effects. When Fired, it will be one of three blasts.....
Air: More common then the other two, this blast will quickly fly in a straight path until it hits something, delivering mid-high knockback and low damage. Fired up it will create a small vortex around him, sucking opponents in. When fired down, Vaati will blast himself upward, which can be used as an alternate recovery move.
Fire: Less common than air, this blast will start at a high speed, but slow down and fall as it flies through the air. When it hits the opponent, it will explode, delivering decent damage and knockback. When Fired up, he will stab upward with his sword, like Roy's Upsmash, when Fired down, Vaati will be engulfed in flames for a second.
Lightning: The least common of the three, this will fly in an eratic and unpredictable path until it makes contact with something. When it hits an opponent, it will shock them for a short time, and deliver high damage and knockback. When Fired up, it will create a small lightning strike (like Pikachu's, but a little weaker.) When fired down, Vaati will create a web of electircity around him (below him in the air)
You will be able to tell which blast it is when it is fully charged.

Forward B: Wind Shove: Vaati will bring his arms inward and shove them forward. This releases a powerful gust of wind, blowing away opponents. If an Airbourne opponent is hit by this, it will give them their Up-B back. If used in te air, it will push Vaati backward slightly.

Down B: Twister: Vaati will extend his hands upward, and call down a tornado from the sky. It will not pass through platforms. Once it reaches ground, Vaati will be able to control it to a certain degree. Tilting the control stick to the left or right will bend the twister slightly. When an opponent get's too close, it will suck them in and deliver damage like Young Link's Up-B. It will also suck in nearby items and swirl them around, throwing some out occaisionally. If opponents are in the twister with items flying around, they will do extra damage. The tornado will lastup to 5 seconds. When it ends, it will send out opponents in random directions.

Up B: Teleport: Vaati will curl up and disappear, and teleport in the specified direction, just like Mewtwo.

Super Smash!
Vaati will transform into his first form from the Minish Cap (sorcerer with a long cape covering a mysterious eyeball) and small sider like creatures will appear covered in darkness. They will scatter off of the stage and around it. They will then begin firing Red lasers onto the stage. These will knock opponents back farther than the master hands lasers and do more damage. There will be around 10 lasers sweeping across the entire stage for about 10 seconds. During this time Vaati will also release embers in every direction. The lasers will not pass through platforms.

How do you like it?? Vaati, from this moveset, would be a purple powerhouse. He is slightly floaty, and also slightly light, to offset his powerful moves. His traction is a little lower than normal as well. I think his Neutral B might be overpowered, I might have to take out the Up & down effects :(

You can put this on the front page if you want, just be sure to give credit.

GenG

Smash Lord
As for Vaati's possible appearance in Phantom hourglass, it's debateable. He does seem to be a likely candidate as almost all the Celda games have him, but all of them revolve around the Four swords. It might actually be a new villain entirely.
Phantom Hourglass, unlike other handheld Zeldas, it's the direct sequel for Wind Waker. I think Ganon won't be the boss there.

burrito

Smash Lord
Eaode, the problem with your moveset us that Vaati actually never uses a sword. That was just a translating error in the English version of The Minish Cap.

burrito

Smash Lord
Vaati using a sword is kind of out of character for him, though. I'd rather se him stick to hand to hand combat.

Eaode

Smash Champion
In the Beginning of the Minish Cap, Vaati wins a Swordfighting contest hands down, and the prize is touching the Picori blade and the sword that your uncle(?) gives you to deliver. So even though you never see him use a sword, he actually does.

burrito

Smash Lord
In the Beginning of the Minish Cap, Vaati wins a Swordfighting contest hands down, and the prize is touching the Picori blade and the sword that your uncle(?) gives you to deliver. So even though you never see him use a sword, he actually does.
Right, that's the error I was talking about. The English version calls it a sword fighting contest, but it's actually just a martial arts contest. He never actually uses a sword.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Do you know this? Do you have the japanese version?

Why would they give the winner of a martial arts contest a sword? I mean, if you're right, then there's a bit of a plot hole there.

burrito

Smash Lord
The winner of the competition earns the honor of touching the Picori Blade. They don't actually get the blade as a prize, so it makes sense. It's just supposed to be a big honor.

I'll try to find my source, but don't you think it's funny that Vaati was fighting in a sword fighting competition, when you never ever see him use a sword?

Top Bottom