• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
GOD DAMNIT I MEANT ITS NOT GAY AND SLOW

I'm going to sleep now...

Depster

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NYLffwLWU

I noticed that I was trying to force the jab cancels way too much, which don't really seem to be working well. I also really need to bair away those stupid waddle dees more. What else do you guys think?

I think Ima be getting a lot more videos in the near future since I've gotten really active in the Wichita Smash scene. Except for tournaments... I can't go to many of those.

D

Deleted member

i like that you are using jab cancels, but against D3, its better just to get him out of your face with the double jab.

Pretty solid, good job.
A little careless, you took way too many hits u didnt need to. Work on getting hit less.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You did pretty well, but what I noticed is you didn't camp or egglay as much as you're supposed too. You usually just tried to jab him (Which you noticed you did excessively), and tried to use Fsmash most of the time when he messed up his Chaingrab.
You gotta play this MU really gay, Stay away from him at all costs cause he can shield most of our moves and just shield grab us cause of his Huge Grab range and abuse his fat body by racking up damage with basically two moves since our Air grab outranges his and our Camping is much better and faster.

Also, I KNOW THAT'S PM TTYD MUSIC! I just can't remember which boss... But I think it's either Bowser or Hooktail/Gloomtail/Bonetail.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Depster, I'll get you a full analysis on your video during this weekend. Come back to here at about Sunday.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
That's the song title, he was just asking which boss battle it was.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah... Usually used to the name of the song not being changed. If I knew how to do this i'd have the exact name of my songs rather then the random names it gives me like "The Lord" "Wrapped In Black" etc.

Debating wether to gather all my friendlies/Tournament Sets and post them here, Of course as usual most of them are me losing and the occasional one of me winning.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
"That pop up on Youtube"?
Anyways, I didn't think they'd be recorded so I mostly screwed around and tried to mostly get my fingers up to speed for techs (DR) since this was back from January when SA had a two month break, and it's just friendlies.
Maybe it's just for certain players, but some people can go on a Year break and still have the same amount of skill and not be rusty at all.
For me if I don't practice on a game for 2 weeks, I'll be so rusty and playing badly until I eventually get the timing of my techs down and until I somehow get a trigger activated to make me more motivated to try. Of course back in January I didn't know how to ledge DR at all (Outside of YI and LC) and i've imporved alot MU wise and Playstyle.

For now, i'm going on yet another break cause of my NDE, just until I move to SA again which has been moved to two weeks from now instead of next week.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys... What are your best/favorite mix ups for getting in on fast characters (sheik for example)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well, yes, but I mean when they back you into a wall and you have to get in their face, how would you go about that? Sheik was my example due to her high initial jump competing with ours, good air game, a good projectile, and a fast ground speed. If she catches you on a ledge, she can keep you there, and what if we don't wanna be there?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
For sheik i'd rather just go aggressive and only throw eggs at her if she's off the stage (Of course if I know she'll make it) Rather then try and camp her on stage when her needles can reach us across almost any stage outside of probably FD.
To me and a few others atleast, this is still an Even MU and not -1...

Yikarur

Smash Master
Vids on the OP are the one's that are posted here but Zude is not really active here and Yoshis mostly post mostly their own videos.

Scatz

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NYLffwLWU

I noticed that I was trying to force the jab cancels way too much, which don't really seem to be working well. I also really need to bair away those stupid waddle dees more. What else do you guys think?

I think Ima be getting a lot more videos in the near future since I've gotten really active in the Wichita Smash scene. Except for tournaments... I can't go to many of those.

Alright, after my laptop **** on me and made me lose my critique, here it is Dep.

1. First Stock
    • You don't completely understand when Yoshi's jab lock is supposed to work. He only gains frame advantage when the opponent reaches 100% (sometimes lower, but that's about the average). From that point, you can decide whether to continue to jab lock them or wait until they reach around 130% so that you can Jab > Dsmash or DownB. Doing it that early leaves you at negative advantage or even, and Yoshi doesn't want to be in those situations.
    • When you're getting chain-grabbed, you shouldn't be trying to do anything else other than get away or punishing a missed grab. It's good that you tried to Fsmash when you had the chance, but Jabbing his shield isn't going to cut it. Go for a sliding pivot grab or just run away to avoid taking more damage.
    • When someone is chasing you down, and you happen to throw an egg while they're fairly close, lob the egg so that it'll just land over your head. It at least allows Yoshi to break grabs when someone is too close, plus this helps you stay a little more safer against grab oriented characters.
    • Don't repeatedly jab an enemy's shield. Brawl barely gives anyone frame advantage, and it's not in your interest to double jab shields. If you were going for mixups, then I'd be fine with that, but from the looks of it, you were just mashing A at that point.
    • If you have the lead, don't take risky stuff. That Uair wasn't needed since D3 was nowhere close to death percents. You want to keep your stock at all costs so that you have better momentum going into the next stock.
  2. Second Stock
    • Tip when getting chaingrabbed, use mainly Fsmash and just plain Shield. You'll be able to tell when he's going to grab you again (whether it's dash or standing grab), so you can spotdodge accordingly. Throw in Fsmash a few times (though keep it rare) when you've conditioned him or notice he's being late. As you may have noticed, Doom just quick dashed to shield. If he decided to dash grab you, he wasn't going to miss. Know the time gap in which D3 will miss Yoshi if he's too late.
    • Extremely bad luck with the Gordo killing you. **** happens.
  3. Third Stock
    • Again, you were hesitating while getting CGed. Just hold the shield and watch his reactions. Or you can decide to just straight up run away if he walks like he did at 3:07.
    • Okay, at first I didn't think you'd have the habit, but it's your third time doing it. You always double jabbed to dash grab in that match. You really want to get that out of your system since you were punished for it everytime.
    • There you go. Mixup from the CG what you have to do, and it'll make D3 work harder.
    • You noticingly DJAD or DJ Dair when you're under the stage. I haven't seen you do any other methods, and luckily Doom didn't really punish that as hard as I expected.
    • Bair wall does not work vs D3. His Bair just goes straight through ours (which you noticed when you got smacked at 3:57). Keep bair spamming to a minimum cause you're objective of this matchup is to stay away from D3 main damage move: Dthrow.
    • You don't have to always ETS. Egg throwing in place is sometimes much more effective than ETSing. If you had just ET, then you would've swatted the waddles coming at you and would've caused Doom to shield/dodge.
    • You're taking a lot of unnecessary damage from Waddles being thrown. Dodge em, and throw eggs while doing so. Like I said earlier, you don't have to use ETS just to throw an egg. You can throw them while in the air, and it has a decent chance of landing if you time it right.
    • Stop throwing eggs directly at your opponent. ET is meant to cut off an area temporaily, and it's to make the opponent learn how to time powershields at different moments. You only lobbed the egg when D3 was close to you at that time, at which point, you shouldn't be throwing eggs in case you are asking to get punished. If you've played any other fighting games, you'll understand that eggthrow i just like hadoken and all the other projectiles.
    • Dash grab got you killed. It's far too risky to dash grab D3 unless you've conditioned him to land in it, or when you've made a scenario where you'll minimize punishment for missing the grab (aka, being near a ledge so that you only take 1-2 Dthrows).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey guys, I've realised that, aside from full hop > platform autocanceled dair, I pretty much never use this move, do you guys have any ideas on how to use it effectively?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's good for characters that are vulnerable during their recoveries (Bowser, DK, Spacies, Captain Falcon, etc.). It's also a pretty safe move when auto-canceled. It's also great in doubles.

Otherwise, I don't use it all that much.

Top Bottom