• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote: X or Y to jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenith

Smash Ace
Does anybody believe that X and Y should both be a jump?
Or should 1 of them be a jump and the other for a different technique.
This will kinda be a finder.

Vote:
X = Jump
Y = Jump
Both
or Up

Button(s) l Votes
--------------------
Y................ 19 votes
X................ 18 votes
Both.......... 10 votes
Up............. 3 votes
Button Configurations........... 4 votes

the.best.member.ever

Smash Rookie
Definitely Y, it's the easiest to reach and is more reliable than the control stick. X should be something new. I don't know what exactly, but I think it should be something completely new to Brawl. Sort of like for melee how they added midair dodging and smash b moves. It should be something completely new. Brawl is definetly going to have new aspects of the game like melee did, and that X button is sitting there, lonely and cold, just begging for a purpose. For that matter, they should make R and L do seperate things. It's just a waste in a game this complex to have to buttons with the same function. This isn't freaking Pac Man. It's Smash, ****it.

{edit} In response to Hyper-Link:
I do, for one. Not only do I put it up there, it stays there. The tip of my thumb basically stays on the Y button. This means the underside of my knuckle is right on the A button, allowing me to work both buttons simultaneously with ease.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Both. I jump with X, personally, but I know people who jump with Y. It's a comfort thing and the more options given for something as important as jumping the better.

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
Hmmm, that sounds horrifyingly disgusting, the X is lined up with the A and B buttons in a threesome of continuity, using the Y, is like using the L button to shield, it actually hurts my index to shield and wave dash with L instead of R.

Rash

Smash Ace
I've always used Y for jumping. I think it was just out of habit. My thumb doesn't want to reach to the right of A, it wants to reach above. Since 2001, when I first laid my hands on the game, I've been using Y solely for the jump, completely ignoring X.

Lately, though, I've tried to throw X into the mix as well. Ever since I learned about the "short hop" technique, I've been using the X button to execute it.

To me, it's all about hand position. Sometimes I guess it's more comfortable to use X, other times it's more comfortable to use Y. It depends on the context of battle, in some cases. Either way, while I try to use X more often, I still end up using Y to jump, merely because that's what my instincts have been set to for so long.

I'd like to see the possibility of a new moveset for each character in Brawl, so maybe replacing either the Y or X buttons with an attack move would be a good thing.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
I think that Up, X, and Y should be used as jump like in SSBM. If that's not possible than X and Y.

Sytar

Smash Ace
Uhh.

Up as jump is incredibly useful.
It makes your DjC with fox's shine like 10x faster, making it more like a bit of glitter coming off of fox, rather than a ring of lag.

Also, when you use the aerial lift, it's a ****ing ***** to use jump then the attack. It's much easier to press up.

Suska

Smash Apprentice
HMWii22 said:
How about we get the option to configure our controls the way we want them? :\
Thank you for saying what I was going to say. That way they could make use of the extra button and we could still jump with whatever button we want.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I use Y because I can easily hit it with the top of my thumb and hit A with the bottom of my thumb, so I can shuffle aerials without really moving my right thumb at all (no repositioning anyway). I also use it just cause it's what I've used to jump since I started playing Melee, so.. yeah.

Zenith

Smash Ace
BentoBox said:
What a stupid thread.

G-Regulate was totally right.
If itz stupid then don't look in it.

I've seen THOUSANDS of stupid threads in this Forum and a lot of them bumping the same old topic.

I've never seen this so I did it.

Pvt. Falcon

Smash Apprentice
the.best.member.ever said:
Definitely Y, it's the easiest to reach and is more reliable than the control stick. X should be something new. I don't know what exactly, but I think it should be something completely new to Brawl. Sort of like for melee how they added midair dodging and smash b moves. It should be something completely new. Brawl is definetly going to have new aspects of the game like melee did, and that X button is sitting there, lonely and cold, just begging for a purpose. For that matter, they should make R and L do seperate things. It's just a waste in a game this complex to have to buttons with the same function. This isn't freaking Pac Man. It's Smash, ****it.

{edit} In response to Hyper-Link:
I do, for one. Not only do I put it up there, it stays there. The tip of my thumb basically stays on the Y button. This means the underside of my knuckle is right on the A button, allowing me to work both buttons simultaneously with ease.
The way everyone jumps is different. People would complain if only Y was jump and vise versa. I think it should stay the same.

Zenith

Smash Ace
It is kinda unecassary.

2 days ago I used X, and in to matches i converted to Y.
I'm sure evry1 could convert, besides they could make X (or Y) a wavedash button.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Y, I dunno why Y but I just learned to play it when I started with this game and I never changed it... For me it's hard to use X and I only use the Control Stick for moves.

realsnake1020

Smash Rookie
X, its more comfortable and in easy reach and its quicker for me to switch to A and X rather than A and Y which would take up another part of a second.

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
I want a customizeable controller, so that you can choose what button you want to jump with. I also want the option to turn off jumping with the control stick, so it is easier to u-tilt. If I have to choose, I vote for Y.

.wonk

Smash Cadet
I use the control stick to jump and the Y button to short hop and wavedash.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Both.

On occasions I jump with everything, even the control stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom