• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote: X or Y to jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash619

Smash Apprentice
Proteus said:
Both. I jump with X, personally, but I know people who jump with Y. It's a comfort thing and the more options given for something as important as jumping the better.
Agreed, but i think button configurations would fastly help the gameplay and harm it maybe to set up easy button combos for "said move".

Daisuke no Kage

Smash Rookie
I use Y for jumping, mostly because it's closer to A and B, so I can rest my thumb on A while having the tip on Y. I might start using X for short hopping though, I've tried it and it seems easier. I can't use X for wavedashing though. XD

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Y, all the way. It's just what I happened to use at first, and it stuck. X is apparently better for short hopping and stuff, so I might try that out... someday.

S P I K E

Smash Ace
Gotta' be Y. Y allows you quicker access to both A and jump at the same time seeing as your thumb is constantly on them. =P Up should certainly be kept as jump to still separate those who can execute the moves from those who can't. If you are complaining that you can't do up tilt... PRACTICE!!! You don't smash up... you tilt... Thats the effing point... That would just allow idiot newbs to close in on the pros through being lazy...

S P I K E

Smash Ace
Why shouldn't up be jump though? Can someone explain that to me? What would up be if it wasn't jump?

S P I K E

Smash Ace
Well, that too... I was looking more along the lines of shortening fox's and falco's shines... Helping out with stuff like that. Not many people factor this in, but flicking the joystick up also helps with SH.

BlueImpulse

Smash Cadet
It's all about ... well actually... I use different buttons for different things... I use Y to short-hop... and X for regular jumpin...

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
I use up to regular jump into aerial moves when the oponnent is hit into the air, but when I want to sh, its Y. never ues X ever. I guess if anyone plays mario kart DD, they would use Y also, because you need to press a and y at the same time to go and throw stuff..with the same thumb.

ChaosCore

Smash Cadet
Well, I have no problem using Both, However I do generally use X more than Y. You can put your thumb on both X and A, just like you can put your thumb on both Y and A. I don't think Y's placement is an advantage over X's placement.

Customizing controls would be cool and and make many people happy. However this would mean that every time you go to your friend's house, a tourney or change controller ports, you would have to check and make sure your controls are set the way you want them. This could be annoying and time-consuming.

Coo_Too_Tim

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter to me. Tho, I mostly use the x button to jump. The only character I use the control stick with is Fox so I can SHDL with him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
X or Y, doesn't matter. Just not Up. Mapping controls is the winner.(of course, it wouldn't be needed in Single Button...)

S P I K E

Smash Ace
After my recent tourney, I seemed to have changed my style a bit, I use Y for WD'ing and SH'ing, and about 40% of normal jumps, otherwise X. I use up to juggle and such. Up is also necessary for pro fox and falco users... helps anyways.

keroku_the_thunderwolf

Smash Apprentice
i think X, Y, and up on the analog are all essential since they give you more of a choice of a jump command to go along with your style of play. they all focus on the total smash community, not just one area or person. none of these are useless....some people like using all the button and other prefer one. i use X primarily myself and never use Y because my style of play is speedy fingers, and what better way to make my fingers (more of thumbs) faster than to choose X since i move my thumbs more than would Y.

Shaolin-Ninja

Smash Apprentice
Hyper-Link said:
That'd suck, No good fighting game lets you do that
Umm... Why not? Well I wouldn't like it, but... I vote for all three buttons as jumps!

I use Y, but when I JC Fox's shine, I use up on the controllstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom