• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote: X or Y to jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I use both X and up. If they keep double jump cancelling for Ness and Mewtwo (or whoever else i'd play in Brawl that would have it), it's so much easier to do when there's at least 2 buttons that can jump. Keep up for jump! I have no problems doing up tilt the way it is, and I use up for djc's. I don't care about Y, but a lot of people would get mad if Y is changed.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
X and X only. Up made it hard to shffl uairs and somtimes made me DJC when I didn't want to. Y is just stupid. How can you short hop with that, and it's in such a weird position making it unsuitable for anything.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Wow, I can't even remember the buttons. I use the one on top of the A button and not to the side of it. This is ireally awkward, i believe it is X.
Look at your controller, it's probably Y considering X is not direclty above Y, well, it's more to the right, :/

If you weren't at your house and you didn't have your controller, you should have looked up a picture of a controller. :/

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Lol, I bet if a really famous smasher said "Y" all these X people would change there vote :/.

I use Y, mainly cause its simple to reach from A, when I'm going to run and moonwalk back I hit Y and then UAIR, I use Y because of this, And X feels really uncomfortable for me when preforming my second jump after an air move even B moves. :/

My votes on Y. But they should really make customizable controls or at the least have it the way it is in melee, theres nothing really that can be added to this game as the specials ARE an item.

Edit; sorry for double post.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
But you know in case of waveshining always use x because it is closer to the L button
and it feels better
they need to keep it the way it is

greenblob

Smash Lord
I use Y most of the time, but I use both for DJC. So I vote have two jump buttons to make it a bit easier on the Ness/Yoshi players.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I am not a loser... anyway I think it should either be customizable or used for some new technique but personally I like to use the X since i like to play alot of overhand

h2ownage

Smash Journeyman
Victoria, Australia. We have Strikers already! For
Definitely Y, it's the easiest to reach and is more reliable than the control stick. X should be something new. I don't know what exactly, but I think it should be something completely new to Brawl. Sort of like for melee how they added midair dodging and smash b moves. It should be something completely new. Brawl is definetly going to have new aspects of the game like melee did, and that X button is sitting there, lonely and cold, just begging for a purpose. For that matter, they should make R and L do seperate things. It's just a waste in a game this complex to have to buttons with the same function. This isn't freaking Pac Man. It's Smash, ****it.
As much as everyone would like a new range of attacks by the looks of the trailer it doesnt appear to be happening. i wish Y was a whole new set of attacks though...

yeh and i use X btw

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I use X for most characters, in fact the only time i use Y is when im SHL'ing with falco.
*cough* falco ftw *cough*
Count me as up for jump :)

*Points to signature*

Zodiac

Smash Master
The X button, though, I say that only because you can jump quicker since you only slide over a bit to hit it, it really depends on the player hand posistion. but up is a good way to jump, a button is always quicker.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I think.... X should be for shorthop and Y should be for full jump...
NO! Shorthopping is meant to be hard. It would be dumb to have a shortcut for it, just as it would be to have shortcut for WDing. Jumping is not hard, so an alternate is OK.
Oh, and I use Y for WDing, jumping up off of a edgegrab, and Autofloating obviously. Otherwise, I just hit up on the control stick.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
been away for awhile, but who cares....
anyway i think vinnieminnie had an interesting idea.. but then again that would sorta kinda make the games a bit too easy, wouldn't yah think?
as for my opinion on the jump buttons, both are ok to me, personally i use Y, x seems,,, weird, because moving your thumb to the side is, strangely, more work than moving your thumb just abit upwards, and plus, using Y should be easy because you don't even need to use the full length of your thumb, just the tip, and keep the middle joint of your thumb over the a button so you can easily adapt to the enemies actions, because, like it or not, sliding your thumb over to the X button takes just a bit longer than tipping Y with the tip of your thumb....quite a long post isn't it? oh yeah~~

DSMANIAC92

Smash Cadet
i say "up". only the absolute pros can use "up" to combo teh **** out of you. sjort hopping may be abit more difficult but im used to it. i didn't even know other people used X and Y until i signed up to these forums 4 years after i got the game.

Joner

Smash Cadet
Personally I use X, but I just love the way it is now with 2 attack buttons.
Don't even remove the up for jump thingy, it's saved my life more than once when I did something with the B-button and needed to jump quickly...

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
x closer to the c-stick? please, X and Y are both equally distant from the c-stick.... but anyway, this discussion doesn't seem like it's really going anywhere, i'd say using X or Y (or up for that matter) would totally depend on play style and orientation (left or right handed) like with the example above, id say luigimitsu is left handed... but it's just a guess......

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
kay well i hate the X, it's really awkward for me ,
the Y button is closer to both the B button and the A button,
and the way I place my right thumb it works out.

I usually press the Y button with my thumb, and i flex my thumb
and hit A with the joint. lol. It's more confortable that way :] imo

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
Y is so much better unless you have an unusually long thumb, because you can easily go down from Y to B or the C-stick.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Nope, I am not left handed, however I click my left handed fingers better than with my right, and when I eat I have my knife in my left hand, but I can't draw or write with my left hand and with pretty much everything else I am right handed lol. For the first few years or so I played Smash Bros using the thumb stick, but then I switched to using X, I think it might be because I've played a lot of Super Metroid which uses A to jump (on snes controls It's to the right of the controller).

With Street Fighter 3, I'd rather have L1 as strong punch, R1 as strong kick, and L2 and R2 for the EX moves, but some people have R1 as strong punch and R2 as strong kick because then they are using their dominant hand for moves they need to use more often, but from my perspective I think it's better to use L for punch just like square and triangle are week/medium punch, and R for kick just like circle and X are kick buttons.

I could use Y if I wanted to but I use X and L because it's more comfortable, and they aren't so close to each other, so I'm not using R at the same time as X and A or C stick, or It could be because I'm right handed that I use X... I don't think it matters... everyone is used to using different buttons so It's better that they keep things the same, or make the buttons customizable.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
My thumb can fit over both X and A at the same time, and I don't need to use B as much, if I do need to use it though It's easy enough to move my thumb, I never have any delays there.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I just realized I've been using the Y button recently. I'm going to try using the stick as well.

Chromeless

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why more people aren't voting for configuration options, it simply solves the whole issue outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom