• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I'm a competetive smasher. Even though I've never had the possibility to participate in tournaments, I like to train playing the game better. I used to be just a casual player, now I read FAQ's and other in-depth analyses. The biggest thing in Brawl for me is going to be the online battling.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tend to be both Casual Smasher and Competitive Smasher.
Should have a poll on this, im sure most would be casual. =]

If everyone keeps posting what kinds of smashers they are, I'll gather the data myself. I'll also be gathering data from other threads.

But I disagree with a lot of what you said about enjoyment.
Sure, items are pretty, but once the novelty wears off, there's nothing less fun then an exploding barrel falling into your downsmash, or a beam sword spawning while you're off the edge.

I'm sorry, but winning is fun, and if it makes me better at winning I have no issue with adding in some advanced techs as long as it doesn't interfere with my fun (and I do not include picking up a secondary that I can practicing shuffling with as interfering).

I'm definately casual, because it's all about fun, yet at the same time I find your definition about what makes it fun lacking for both me and a lot of other casual players.
Can you explain further.

I never said winning isn't fun. I said how fun can be obtained in many ways, especially for competitive players. I also said that taking things seriously and applying yourself is the greatest level of living.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
very impressive read, much congrats. based on your analysis, i'd say i'd be in the casual/competitive/hardcore category. (this would be great for one of those personality test things).

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I found myself as an competitive and a bit hardcore smasher. I certainly have the attitude of a smasher, And I certainly want to be as good as possible (which is quite hard, as I have noone to play with), but I certailny not have the skills of a pro smasher. Hardcore, because I will play Brawl as long as it lives, until the next smash after Brawl shows up. And I will still stick to Melee a bit. Smash is my game of choise.

Meta_Knight_14

Smash Cadet
I'm a little bit of all of them really (with the exception of non-smasher of course). Living in a college dorm gives me a chance to be around different types of players.

With one group it's a casual item-fest and no one really puts any stock into who wins or loses. It's pretty good fun and usually I don't play as my best characters. I'll explore a little bit with who I play as. Still usually win though simply because I know the mechanics of the game better.

Another group I play with is semi-decent competition. Usually no items but we do a lot of random character/random stage kind of stuff. Just to show off versatility really.

Then there's the group I'm hardcore with. Everyone plays as any of their top 3 characters, no items, usually on either Corneria or Final Destination. Good fun here. Probably my favorite group to play with.

Xekonic

Smash Rookie
Great writeup :)

I would have to say I am a Competitive Hardcore Pro. eg:

I am buying Brawl regardless of what changes are made. I love to improve and play within a competitive guideline, and if there are tournaments nearby that I can make for Brawl, I will more than likely go.

Well done :)

Zojo

Smash Rookie
Ok...here's a question. How can a smasher rate him/herself if they only play Melee alone. I mean, what would a person who is really really good at melee be able to do with ease?
Causual-Hardcore

overthere

Smash Cadet
I think I'm casual/casually competetive. Hey, it works, just like north/northwest works.
I like getting good. But the point is fun. Winning is fun. Playing is fun. They work that way.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I'm the erotic sultry/sensual kind of smasher.

I come in when your defenses are down... and sweet spot with frame perfect timing. After slipping you a heavy dose of pills, I gently remove your stocks from you while whispering the tier list in your ear. As I laser spam in your face with my fountain of dreams, it keeps you where i want you, stunning you with every hit. I moonwalk over to you and d-throw you to your final destination. Even though your mouth says no, your percent tells me a different story. As i break through your shield with my rising pound, I begin to build up my charge shot. The Pk-fire gets really hot as I start to misfire. I wobble you over and over until you cry out "End it already!" and beg for me to bring it to a climax. As my donkey punch hits you, i release my Nayru's Love.

...and they always come back for more.

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
I view myself as a partly-casual-with-slight-competativeness-but-mostly-hardcore kind of Smash player. I mean, I play the game for fun, and I've always enjoyed doing that. The competative spirit comes from hanging with my friends and playing competatively. Really, Smash has always been and will most likely always be about competative play, so it's kinda hard to avoid. I'm mostly hardcore, though, because I love Smash because it's SMASH. Whatever changes occur, I won't care because the core of the game will still be there, and I'll most likely continue playing till I die.

A very insightful and moving article, KirbyKid. This article is win.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I view myself as a partly-casual-with-slight-competativeness-but-mostly-hardcore kind of Smash player. I mean, I play the game for fun, and I've always enjoyed doing that. The competative spirit comes from hanging with my friends and playing competatively. Really, Smash has always been and will most likely always be about competative play, so it's kinda hard to avoid. I'm mostly hardcore, though, because I love Smash because it's SMASH. Whatever changes occur, I won't care because the core of the game will still be there, and I'll most likely continue playing till I die.

A very insightful and moving article, KirbyKid. This article is win.
Didn't you say you were purusu?

Smash Ace
casual/competitive and hardcore.
Actually, I HOPE Marth is out, but seeing Fox nerfed does kind of give me that tingly feeling (not the character)
Doc out? Roy out?
there's always an alternative. his name is Ike.
It depends on who I play with that determines how casual or competitive I get.
=2007=

Competitive-Hardcore.
I agree with your definitions, you really summed it all up!
Some moves will be gone from the next game that I enjoyed in Melee, but still it's a new game!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
wow, great article. you really described all the differ types of smashers well. lousy non-smashers...

im competitive/hardcore. i practically live off smash lol, i play it everyday, i visit these forums everyday, i research the game, iv owned and played it since day 1 of the 64 version, i strive to get better and become a pro, and iv gone as far as to ask nintendo to send me a copy of the brawl demo since I live on the East coast and wasn't able to attend the west coast events. (lol it wasnt like out of the blue, i work with nintendo on my website reviewing games for them as it is, so i figure if they send me games, sometimes b4 they are released, i could possibly get a brawl demo.)

even with how much im into smash though, I don't play it AS much as you think. by everyday i pretty much mean like i atleast play a single match. rarely there will be a day where i dont play at all. i still live a normal college life lol. most importantly though I play smash because its fun. i think the tournament style rules are fun with neutral stages, no items, and so on. i choose my main based on how i like the character, not on the tiers (thank god sonic should be high in brawl lol). im really competitive in all games actually. i used to hold a speedrun record for mario 64, and i got 2nd place in the only big tournament held for star fox command at the nintendo world store (soooo close to first). i guess it all just carried over to smash

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I'm a hybrid smasher: Hardcore/Competetive/Casual. I'm dedicated, I seek to become better, I play for fun. I see too many players seemingly not having too much fun, with blank expressions on their face. I enjoy having a conversation with my opponents while playing. Well maybe not conversations, but I at least say some comments/laugh.

darkshy

Smash Ace
I would label myself as a casual/cpmpetetive smasher. Personally I love the game, but I hate it when people think that the pro gamer sucks without technics! That's not I true! I could kick your a$$ half way from sunday!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The important things to you are all that matters (to you). Wasn't trying to make a joke, but it sounds pretty funny.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no shame in prioritizing your life. Good luck.
Well if I hadn't put "to me, anyways" in it, it would have sounded arrogant and as an insult against the competitive Super Smash Bros. scene. That's not what I meant it to be.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
I'm a casual hardcore smasher.

Smash has always been my favorite game of all time. Me and my cousins are some of the very few people who seem to get the REAL IDEA of Smash and video games in general- how fun the game is. Sure, Super Smash can be fun when it comes to competition, but we play just because we WANT to, not because we HAVE to. The game brings back so much memories... the thrills, the stories, the dreams, everything. This is the main reason I play Smash, and because of this, I can be classified as a "pro" Smasher in terms of fun. Everyone gets the wrong idea about me... this post will clearly get a response saying that "this loser is such a noob," but 3 years from now, you'll understand what I mean.

And with me and my relatives being so addicted to Smash, we live by one of our mottos: Nintendo Forever, Super Smash Forever.

greenblob

Smash Lord
From the headings, I'd be considered a "casual Smasher." But people would label me as a "competitive Smasher." The underlying reason that I play Smash is for recreation--to have fun. But I also find that I get the most fun by playing competitively.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I'm a mix between a hardcore and a competitive smasher. The only reason I play smash is for the competition, and my only doubts in Brawl come from the possibility that it may not be competitive or deep.

In my eyes, there are three possibilities for Brawl that will affect how I play it.
-adequate/good for competition and deep: I shall buy it, play it, and try to get better at it.
-so easy to pick up and learn advanced techniques that anyone can EASILY get good: I shall buy it, play it, try to reach a competitive level, and then quit because it's so god ****ed impossible to distinguish the good from the normal and the purpose of competition is defeated. (this is one of my biggest fears because I play for competition, and it's actually somewhat plausible. I'm sure someone can find a hole in this possibility)
-completely nerfed and slow that I really don't want to play the game: I will buy the game, play it, get angry, go on the Boards, and whine about how I wasted my money on this garbage.

Basically, I'm competitive, but I'm hardcore for the game's competition, not the game particularly.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I'm the erotic sultry/sensual kind of smasher.

I come in when your defenses are down... and sweet spot with frame perfect timing. After slipping you a heavy dose of pills, I gently remove your stocks from you while whispering the tier list in your ear. As I laser spam in your face with my fountain of dreams, it keeps you where i want you, stunning you with every hit. I moonwalk over to you and d-throw you to your final destination. Even though your mouth says no, your percent tells me a different story. As i break through your shield with my rising pound, I begin to build up my charge shot. The Pk-fire gets really hot as I start to misfire. I wobble you over and over until you cry out "End it already!" and beg for me to bring it to a climax. As my donkey punch hits you, i release my Nayru's Love.

...and they always come back for more.

This is epic win.

wildthing2022000

Smash Rookie
new/casual smasher, loved the series but only had limited time with the N64 version and I just bought Melee the other day in order to get ready to play Brawl online.

Deka~Fox

Smash Cadet
I definitely fall into Competitive-casual gamer just because I have the urge to win and seek to improve amongst the crew I play with while never really playing in any tournaments. Regardless, this is an excellent post, even better than several Dojo posts!

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Casual. I can't wavedash, wavehop or whatever advance moves i read on the board. I just play smash for fun and entertainment.

One last thing...Give me Items or give me death!:mad:

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Wow, I never knew I was a hardcore Smasher before. I just thought I was, "That one casual player who plays purely for fun, but hates items with a passion." Cool, I can now proudly say, "I'm a hardcore Smasher, beacause kirbykid said so!"

I also only really like to play on FD. I should be competitive. I just can't bring myself to practice day in and day out on AT's.

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
im a Competitive Smasher
i love getting better at the game.{specially when i lose}and i always try learning a new combos
belive it or not i have a link combo that no body have seen before.....i think cuz of all the videos that i seen they dont do it and i seen alot of videos

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
im a casually hardcore smasher. i'm not gonna say im so amazing at the smash games and then in february get my butt kicked on wi fi... i'm usually a casual gamer, but i took the time to learn wavedashing and shffling so i can do those (at least wavedashing) so i try to combine those 2 strategies together. im pretty good at Melee i think, but i've never gone up against an advanced player..
Brawl will answer my questions though. if im not that good on wi fi i'll take the time to learn all the advanced techniques i can. i'm practicing a lot on melee so we'll see!

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Id say Im a bit of a Competitive Smasher as well as a Casual, I like playing on maps like Temple, and messing with items, last week or something me and my friend tryed out the Black Hole Glitch just because it was so fricking cool to look at, we even did it on Battlefield and played a match, however I also strive to become better at Smash, I practice a few AT's like Teching and Shffl-ing, and I compete with friends to refine my skill. I love Smash and I can't wait for Brawl, because the more I taste Brawl, the more bland Melee begins to feel.

Top Bottom