• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This is opinion, not fact. Pro players are required to be very adaptive in their strategies and approaches, so I don't know where you got this one.
They are more willing to try out new strategies, however there is a generally pride attatched to reaching this level, so they are less likely to be willing to try things that they consider "old" in a slightly context, because they consider the matter settled.

To give an example, take the debate about items in brawl, most high-leveled players default to no, not even considering the possibility that items might be balanced in brawl because they consider the matter settled, which it is for melee, but whether or not any items will be balanced in brawl is a completely seperate issue which we will not know till it comes out.

There are other examples, but this is the first that springs to mind.

I don't know what this is saying, clarify please.
Basicall, you said for a pro it's all about winning, which means a balanced game is irrelevent.

This is just flat out wrong. My evidence is the evolving world of strategy and the metagame for tournament play. We do try new things out and experiment, that's the fundamental principle of competitive play, trying something new to see if it will help you win.
Sorry, I did not quantify that correctly, I mean it in terms of matters considered settled, as with my earlier statement.

I should have been more specific when defining the group of people I was referring to, but you understand that the vast majority of people in the brawl boards are between the ages of 12-16.
Ok, but even so, people should be learning about, or have learned about reasonable discourse at those ages.

People who know that others are stepping outside of the bounds of a reasonable discussion should step outside debate lines and say "cool it" when they recognize this is happening. Sure the majority may not be able to, but those of us who can should at least try.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
They are more willing to try out new strategies, however there is a generally pride attatched to reaching this level, so they are less likely to be willing to try things that they consider "old" in a slightly context, because they consider the matter settled.

To give an example, take the debate about items in brawl, most high-leveled players default to no, not even considering the possibility that items might be balanced in brawl because they consider the matter settled, which it is for melee, but whether or not any items will be balanced in brawl is a completely seperate issue which we will not know till it comes out.

There are other examples, but this is the first that springs to mind.

Basicall, you said for a pro it's all about winning, which means a balanced game is irrelevent.
I think you're confusing pros with idiots who think they're good because they've been to a couple of tournaments. A lot of the newer players don't understand the reason behind item banishment. Besides, look at the very first money match in brawl between Hugs and Gimpyfish (arguably the best Samus vs unarguably the best bowser), Gimpyfish killed Hugs twice with items because they were there. Sure, they could have said "**** it, I don't care if the items are there, I'm not picking them up." But instead they chose to use them in the money match.

Given, it's too early to lay claims on the legitimacy of items in tournament play for brawl, these two pros used them in a money match.

As far as a balanced game being irrelevant, every competitive sport now a days is "balanced" as humanly possible. The point of competition is to find the clear cut winner, which requires a totally controlled experiment, per say, where the only variable is skill. In order to do that, you must balance the game for each player so that the only deciding factor is skill.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Hardcore, Casual, Competitive... in that order, I think.

A few years ago, and it would prolly be more competitive, but by the time I learned about Adv Techs (Dec 06) I couldn't be bothered to spend the amount of time it'd take to fully learn and integrate them, as Brawl is just around the corner. I still try to use various techs and try to get better overall/fix mistakes I make, I just don't put much time into practicing. When I turn items off it's more because they get in my way when I'm trying to test something, not because I don't like them (I don't buy the random reasoning. Look at card games like Magic - shuffled deck = random).

And I'd prolly buy Brawl if the demo was actually the full game, so hardcore. XD

I'll prolly end up flipping the casual and competitive ratio for Brawl. I'll never be full competitive - I usually ease up on people if I'm owning them as few people have fun losing. Should prolly fix that habit. Gets me killed too much when I play people that don't suck, lol.

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
Cas/Comp/Core

Casual because it really never hurts to just have a fun match.

Competitive because I haven't found anyone that I can't beat. And it would drive me CRAZY if I did.

Hardcore because my life is currently revolving around the wait for brawl, so much that it scares me at times.

Violet

Smash Cadet
I would say that I'm a particulary casual player. I laughed at the pokeball reference since I did that all the time - pokeball only item max appearence. I'll be having a great laugh with both pokeballs AND assist trophies.

Also, I do like to win every now and again against friends and family. Never really gone competitive, XP.

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
Little less extreme than a competitive smasher and maybe a little bit of the hardcore smasher.
It's such a fun game, I really couldn't care less if they took out short hopping.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll never be full competitive - I usually ease up on people if I'm owning them as few people have fun losing. Should prolly fix that habit. Gets me killed too much when I play people that don't suck, lol.
LOL. I'm the same way. For some reason I ease up on nearly all of my opponents even in big tournaments.

In my case, I'm just a big softy. Kirby = soft.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i like this alot and think it's almost completely on the ball.

but i'm still a bit confused about what precisely makes one a "Pro." i was unable to gleen a clear mindset or state of being from the write-up.

KK, would you be willing to expound on the definition for me?

Albiel

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts completely coincided with everything in this post.

I think I fall under casual, but I'll be definetly taking the step up to competitive when Brawl comes out.

Shock the Hedgehog

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockhog
Thank you for making this topic!

I definetly fall under casual, but can get competetive at times. I just don't see why I would need to learn all these techniques when I'll probably forget them during battle.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
casual-hardcore

although i'd love to improve everyday my smash game, it always ticks me off when some1 takes everything so seriously. I kicked my cousin outta of my house for throwing one of the controller when he lost :p. And yes.. items are fun for me at times...

and I'm gonna stick the Smash longer than how long the Mario Party series stumbles

JJ200X

Smash Rookie
I am all about speed. When it comes to delivering a quick combo, I am all on it. I believe power is a good tool, but when it comes to jumping in there and damaging your opponent, speed is the best thing to rely on. I love to play with items, but rather it just be an all out battle with nothing but skill. I want my opponent to be as hyped as I am. I hate when the one I play is all "like whatever happens" an all. This is a battle. You fight to win.

NarutoKyoRyu22

Smash Rookie
i'd think i'd be casual/hardcore.. and sometimes im competitive... but playing without items like he said sucks all the fun out of everything

Frigid_Aztec

Smash Apprentice
I'm a mix.

I'm a casual smasher in the fact that I pretty much just play Smash if I have some friends over, and if something is going on with my friends, I'd much rather go out then play Smash.

But when I do play Smash, I am like a "competitve player" by the fact that I use advanced techs and I play by tourny rules. but I also could care less if I loose the match.

so idk really know what I am :p

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Great thread.
I'd be under Competitive/Hardcore atm. I guess I will tell abit about myself for anyone that cares. :p

I want to be Pro/Competitive/Hardcore very bad but because of my location and not being able to drive far atm, I'm unable to do so. I've played since the 1st days of ssb and melee. I've been to quite afew local tounaments and won most all of them 1st/2nd. My greatest win as far as local tournaments go, is when I got 1st place and my friend got 2nd losing to me in the finals, out of 150+ people.

I've went to about 5 tournaments with alot of ranked pro players and didn't place high except once when I got 2nd losing the final match against Chad (ranked #1 Mid-South power rankings) 2 to 1 in best of 3 but I played well and with Link most of the time other then counterpicks with my secondary chars.

Lucky for me, my best friend is just as good as me which gives me someone to play against all the time that has alot of skill. My friend also got 2nd once in one of tournaments with pros, losing to Ihavespaceballs (ranked #5 Mid-South power rankings) in the final match. We're not the best of the best yet but we play hard and have fun.

That's my smash career in a nutshell. Lol, can't wait for Brawl online! :)

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
I'm competitive, and even a little bit pro, not because I join tournaments, but because I think that I'm actually good at melee.
that last statement could be false though, since I can't compare myself with others whom really are pro's
I just say that I'm good because lv.9 Fox is totally no match for me >.<
(int 10 min. play time: peach: 10 point; fox (9): -10 points XD)

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
I consider myself a competitive smasher. I play in tournaments, and are currently ranked 10# on the power rankings in Norway (yey d_(^_^)_b ).

peach-man: Defeating lvl 9 cpus does not mean that you are really good at Melee. I don't doubt that you are, but the only way to find out that you are good is to play against good players :]

Foxy

Smash Master
Competitive/Hardcore/Casual smasher.

I play to improve, I actually practice often against other very good human players, I have tech skill, and I've been playing Melee since it came out.

Until a few months ago I was just Casual, and I still retain the fact that I play Melee mainly for fun. I just happened to reach a certain level where it became more fun to begin being competitive. But I still occasionally fool around.

And I'm dedicated to smash. If Brawl turns out to be an utter failure, I'll still be playing it 8 hours a day simply because it's the next smash.

Geist

Smash Master
i fall into competitive/hardcore/casual, mostly cuz im in it for fun, but...i really really want to win.

Well, actually, i have as much fun if not more so if I lose, cuz the fastest way to get better is to repeatedly get your arse handed to you. Mostly cuz i dont even own a GC or Wii.

Then after a week of getting owned, I would realize that im all of the sudden equal to all the others who were better than me before. 0.o
But winning is really fun too.

Bowser Smasher

Smash Cadet
Competitive/hardcore.

Ever since Melee(And when I SOLD MY GAMECUBE) I have wanted to get into the smash action. (NOPE! Don't have a wii yet.) But, I have been challenging a relative on his wii, and I can't beat him! When Brawl comes out, I plan to main Bowser(I main'd Fox).

I AM competitive. But I like to improve too.

punkomatic622

Smash Journeyman
Done waiting for Olimar (Ya HErd Sakurai?)
I smash for fun

my favorite way to smash is 4 player free for alls with as many items as possible. i feel the only way you can improve yourself is if you find ways to be creative. You need to be as versatile as possible when it comes to kicking the crap out of your fellow opponents.

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
I consider myself a competitive smasher. I play in tournaments, and are currently ranked 10# on the power rankings in Norway (yey d_(^_^)_b ).

peach-man: Defeating lvl 9 cpus does not mean that you are really good at Melee. I don't doubt that you are, but the only way to find out that you are good is to play against good players :]
that's what I mean: I hate the fact that I guess I'm good, but that it is impossible to find out if I really am cuz I simply can't reach the tourney's :(

KYLEMARTHFALCODANIELSON

Smash Apprentice
i am uber-competitive/hardcore. i am super competitive at everything i love in life, and i strive to always be the best, and never stop trying to improve. when i am by myself, i will sometimes throw all bombs,pokeballs, etc. on w/some comps and just run around chaotically for fun, but if i am playing humans, i am always serious and playing not only to win but to improve as are the people i play against. i am definately hardcore and am buying a wii and brawl the night it comes out. i don't even own a wii but am going to get one just for this game!!!!! i love smash and always will.

KYLEMARTHFALCODANIELSON

Smash Apprentice
I'm competitive, and even a little bit pro, not because I join tournaments, but because I think that I'm actually good at melee.
that last statement could be false though, since I can't compare myself with others whom really are pro's
I just say that I'm good because lv.9 Fox is totally no match for me >.<
(int 10 min. play time: peach: 10 point; fox (9): -10 points XD)
that is absolutely no reason to consider yourself "pro", comps suck and good players could double or triple you cpu scores. i have beat a lvl 9 fox by over 30 pts. in 10 mins. multiple times, so your stats against comps are nothing to sneeze at. first off before you compare yourself to pros, can you even perform all of the advanced techs? and perform them consistently? if not then you aren't even close, if you can then, you have done everything you can so far and need to play some good smashers and work up to playing pros after you own all of the noobs in your area.

Howls

Smash Cadet
I'm competitive, not to the degree of say, ChuDat. But I play often among friends and know as much of the advanced techs as I could learn this last year. (still perfecting my Ken combos)

I've been to only two tours but I plan on going to a lot more when I move to fort lauderdale.

Top Bottom