• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

47drift

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely just casual. I'm like that for all games.

To me, games were created for fun, and should stay that way. Exploitation sucks D:

The only time I ever get hardcore with a game is with RPGs... I'll make sure to finish them all 100% :D

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Can you explain further.

I never said winning isn't fun. I said how fun can be obtained in many ways, especially for competitive players. I also said that taking things seriously and applying yourself is the greatest level of living.
What I mean is that my mindset is essentially casual (that winning and losing are secondary to creating an exciting game experience) but an exciting gameplay expirience for me is ultimately very different from what most people define as the "casual expirience" and I also know a lot of other people.

That's because for me, and those like me, the items are a novelty thing which fast lose their novelty when a bomb or trapped container spawns into your up-smash for the 50th time. At a certain point you get the "god hates me" feeling from this happening.

Because of this, the game also starts to lose fun when your opponent loses because of such a circumstance, it isn't that winning and losing is the most important part, but the game experience just seems hollow when you feel like item spawns did everything and you just watched.

But of course, winning is fun, but spending hours and hours practicing advanced techniques and combos against a level 1 cpu is not fun, so instead of doing that, we practice for maybe a few minutes so we learn the basic movements, and then just remember to use it in our games until we've got it cold (I adopted gannondorf as a secondary in order to learn shuffling for instance).

So that's what I'm describing, a player with a fundamentally casual mindset that however, mimics hardcore players in many ways in terms of net effect.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Apparently I'm competitive.

I play smash for fun, but I cant stand the 4 player item fests which are supposed to be about having fun.
Thats not fun. Skill matches are fun.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I mean is that my mindset is essentially casual (that winning and losing are secondary to creating an exciting game experience) but an exciting gameplay expirience for me is ultimately very different from what most people define as the "casual expirience" and I also know a lot of other people.

That's because for me, and those like me, the items are a novelty thing which fast lose their novelty when a bomb or trapped container spawns into your up-smash for the 50th time. At a certain point you get the "god hates me" feeling from this happening.

Because of this, the game also starts to lose fun when your opponent loses because of such a circumstance, it isn't that winning and losing is the most important part, but the game experience just seems hollow when you feel like item spawns did everything and you just watched.

But of course, winning is fun, but spending hours and hours practicing advanced techniques and combos against a level 1 cpu is not fun, so instead of doing that, we practice for maybe a few minutes so we learn the basic movements, and then just remember to use it in our games until we've got it cold (I adopted gannondorf as a secondary in order to learn shuffling for instance).

So that's what I'm describing, a player with a fundamentally casual mindset that however, mimics hardcore players in many ways in terms of net effect.
*nods*

I wonder how thing might change for you if Brawl fixes all of the terrible item problems.

Thanks for replying.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
*nods*

I wonder how thing might change for you if Brawl fixes all of the terrible item problems.

Thanks for replying.
Already know, if Brawl fixes items I have no issue with them. As long as they are balanced (in other words, it randomly spawning nearby you) offers no inherent advantages then I'm more then willing to play with them, and I think they should be tourney-legal because at that point it just adds depth, adding to the overall expirience.

Oh yeah, those stupid containers have to be able to be turned off.

Apparently I'm competitive.

I play smash for fun, but I cant stand the 4 player item fests which are supposed to be about having fun.
Thats not fun. Skill matches are fun.
Nah, I'd say you're probably like me, a casual player who thinks items and FFA detracts from the expirience.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I think that after reading these definitions, those who openly say that they are a "casual-anything" should stop arguing with the "pro" players on anything.

Although, I'd tweak your definition of pro to include: Someone who is widely accepted as being above average in serious/tournament play by other players whom are also highly respected or pros themselves.

Really it's hard to define a pro because there literally are different levels of skill and the grey area always presents problems.

I'm by no means a pro, but at the same time I'm not new to the tournament scene, and am rather sure that I could win a set against anyone who has only been to one or two tournaments.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
I'm competitive in most of the games I own, including this of course. But I'll do casual play at my own, but mostly with my casual smash friends, though I'm hoping I can get one to be a little competitive.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I think that after reading these definitions, those who openly say that they are a "casual-anything" should stop arguing with the "pro" players on anything.
I disagree, as I pointed out there are plenty of players who are decidedly casual yet find that anything that detraction from a skill-game detracts from the overall expirience.

Furthermore casual players have every right to have opinions on what makes the game fun, and argue and debate said opinions.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I think I'll go with Hardcore/Competetive.

Sadly, I live in such an obscure location that organized smash tournaments do not exist, so I can only imagine how I would stack up to other players as serious as myself.

Yep.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I disagree, as I pointed out there are plenty of players who are decidedly casual yet find that anything that detraction from a skill-game detracts from the overall expirience.

Furthermore casual players have every right to have opinions on what makes the game fun, and argue and debate said opinions.

I'm not saying it's because their worse, but simply because in their nature, they don't take the game to the extreme as "pro" players do, so therefore they have a much less amount of experience when it comes to "what's the best" arguments.

For a game where the goal is to win, "What is best" should always be answered with what will make you win, and pros strive to do nothing but "win". Casual players don't take the game to this extreme.

I didn't say casual players shouldn't have an opinion on what makes the game fun.

What I meant to say was, they shouldn't argue with "pros" on "what is the best" prompts. They shouldn't attack players who know what they're talking about.

I'm not saying this as a mean statement towards all casual players, I'm just simply saying that some, SOME, casual players will blatantly flame more experienced players and discredit their advice based on a difference in perception, which is wrong.

It goes both ways, but the mentioned problem occurs more than what I see of "pros" flaming casuals.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm not saying it's because their worse, but simply because in their nature, they don't take the game to the extreme as "pro" players do, so therefore they have a much less amount of experience when it comes to "what's the best" arguments.
By the same token, taking the game to the extreme makes it very difficult to get rid of outdated opinions.

More casual players tend to be more adaptive.

For a game where the goal is to win, "What is best" should always be answered with what will make you win, and pros strive to do nothing but "win". Casual players don't take the game to this extreme.
Taken from that standpoint it's not what makes the fairest possible battle so skill is what decides that's important, it's what gives me personally an advantage....

What I meant to say was, they shouldn't argue with "pros" on "what is the best" prompts. They shouldn't attack players who know what they're talking about.
As I said, casual players can bring up things that "pros" would never consider because after you've reached a certain level in something there is a tendency to take a "my way or the highway" attitude and not even test out alternatives and experiment.

I'm not saying this as a mean statement towards all casual players, I'm just simply saying that some, SOME, casual players will blatantly flame more experienced players and discredit their advice based on a difference in perception, which is wrong.
Flaming is always wrong, and always hurtful to real discourse.

But the solution is not to say one group is always right but instead for everyone to point out and admonish flamers no matter what their opinion is as compared to the opinion of the flamers.

Not quite Gershwin's law except for flaming, but make everyone else force people to respect each other.

The solution to an issue with open discourse is not to restrict open discourse, it's to deal with the issue itself.

It goes both ways, but the mentioned problem occurs more than what I see of "pros" flaming casuals.
I will admit that I see a good deal of that, but I'll note that my category of casuals is included as a target.

That said, I've seen more then enough of the opposite that restricting the solution to just casuals is ill-advised.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree with your classifications...

I'd say I play to have fun. Sometimes I enjoy playing free-for-alls on Temple with items on very high, other times I enjoy playing fox dittoes on FD only... Sometimes I sit and try exclusively to improve my tech skill and come up with new strategies for tournaments ("serious about getting better"), other times I'm playing without thinking just going with the flow and screwing around ("recreational activity"). It's all about what makes you have fun at the moment...

If Brawl wasn't fun for me, I'd have no reason to play it. Though from what I've seen I'm already convinced I'll enjoy it. :)

samgamereviews

Smash Cadet
I guess i'm alot of things. Im casual cause I don't play by specific rules. I just play all the time. But I am also a competitive smasher cause I want to get better. Im also a pro smasher...I think. Does being able to win over my friends and beating level 9's count as pro? OR do I have to master the advanced techneques? Im also a hardcore player. If they take out Yoshi, ill still play it. I may be mad at Nintendo for all an eternity but ill still play smash. So, the answer is still undecided. (Wow that was long...)

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
I like to consider myself right between competitive and pro because i try strike a balance between playing for practice and playing for fun.

metaknighter

Smash Apprentice
wow! Well, all of my friends and competitors consider me a pro/ competitive smasher...but I see myself as a hardcore/ casual/ competitive smasher...and even though I am a pro, I don't see myself as one. And I do also want to strive to be the best, but have fun while im doing it!

exidid

Smash Journeyman
Mhhh... Iplay at least 5 hours a week, don't use items, trying to improve or learn advanced techniques,... yeah.

Doctor Icarus

Smash Rookie
I know a few tricks, but I generally like to play... not fair, what's the word I'm looking for...

Clean?

I play for fun. But for me, it's impossible to play Melee without having fun, so I play for winning too.

Most people I know don't wave-smash-crash-a-lash-a-ding-dong, and since I'm not too hot at it myself, I simply play an equal ammount of offense and defense, and always play characters not because they're good, but because I like their historical counterpart. So a lot of Olde School characters, I suppose.

I like items, but on low or normal, because too much can be a bad thing. Sometimes I just like a straight smash, sometimes I just run around bugging my opponent. It all depends on how much fun I'm having or how cool the stage looks or the music sounds. (My MP3 Player has nothing but... Smash.)

Oh, and I don't own the game. I only own AT the game.

Tryxer

Smash Rookie
Competitive-Hardcore

I was late in getting into Super Smash so I didn't really get a chance to join tournaments and stuff. However, I improved quickly and I'm very competitive when it comes to playing VS other people. Aside from that, I don't mind a joke-match or playing for fun with hitting Random in stage select with items on 10 stock, duking it out with a couple of friends.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
"By the same token, taking the game to the extreme makes it very difficult to get rid of outdated opinions.

More casual players tend to be more adaptive."

This is opinion, not fact. Pro players are required to be very adaptive in their strategies and approaches, so I don't know where you got this one.

"Taken from that standpoint it's not what makes the fairest possible battle so skill is what decides that's important, it's what gives me personally an advantage...."

I don't know what this is saying, clarify please.

"As I said, casual players can bring up things that "pros" would never consider because after you've reached a certain level in something there is a tendency to take a "my way or the highway" attitude and not even test out alternatives and experiment."

This is just flat out wrong. My evidence is the evolving world of strategy and the metagame for tournament play. We do try new things out and experiment, that's the fundamental principle of competitive play, trying something new to see if it will help you win.

"Flaming is always wrong, and always hurtful to real discourse.

But the solution is not to say one group is always right but instead for everyone to point out and admonish flamers no matter what their opinion is as compared to the opinion of the flamers.

Not quite Gershwin's law except for flaming, but make everyone else force people to respect each other.

The solution to an issue with open discourse is not to restrict open discourse, it's to deal with the issue itself."

I should have been more specific when defining the group of people I was referring to, but you understand that the vast majority of people in the brawl boards are between the ages of 12-16.

On a side note to the OP. Your definition of pro is too broad because a lot of idiots think they're pro now.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd have to say I'm probably Casual-Hardcore-Competitive. See, I DO play the game primarily for fun, but I DO want to win above all else (while I'm having fun), and I am NOT above exploiting glitches or using "cheap" tactics to do so. But no matter what happens to Smash, (i'll use my example: They have probably remove Ness, one of my favorite characters in Video Games), I'll still play. So... I guess you could call me.... a blend.

Dr.Z

Smash Cadet
I can not even think of anything to reply but considering how amazing you hAve put this...just...astounding. You have a heart and mind, veru useful tool :)

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Casual-Hardcore Smasher, I play the game no-matter what I just get more excited when something I like goes in.

If L-canceling is out, if wave-dashing is out, if Marth is out, if Fox is nerfed, if there are no more original stages for target test

Don't care for L-canceling, don't care for W-Dash, didn't really care for Marth, Rather be Falco then Fox. So what he said their will be 5 stages we should get over it.

Top Bottom