• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first newcomers revealed for Smash 4? (Expect first trailer at E3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I have the feeling that we'll get less newcomer reveals than Brawl's trailer (2 or 3 instead of 5), but more veterans will be confirmed right off the bat. Brawl was bad about that; it took them way too long to confirm obvious inclusions like DK and Yoshi.
I'd rather this to what I expect, because I was disappointed with Brawl having all bar three of its newcomers as starters. I want the unlockables to surprise me more.

...if i have enough will power not to look em up first......:p

CalumG

Smash Lord
If I had to hazard a guess - or rather, my personal preference - as to the first newcomers announced, I'd probably go with the following:

1. Mewtwo (with both Regular forme and Awakened forme) - not technically a newcomer but he's been missing for a game and would hopefully have a new forme, so hey, it counts I guess
2. Toad
3. Pac-Man
4. Surprise Reveal - either a character from the 8-bit days, or a character from a newer release i.e. Dillon's Rolling Western, Golden Sun, Pushmo, Xenoblade etc.

Quite frankly I agree with the assertion that they should confirm more returning veterans right off the bat rather than confirming too many newcomers early on and exhausting their supply for later. With that being said, I'd personally find 4 to be the ideal number to show off at E3/Nintendo Direct, especially if they have any intention of doing something similar to the Dojo like with Brawl. The beauty of the four newcomers I've chosen is that it teases just enough to get both fans and casual players excited without giving too much away, and feel like they should be in Smash already - people were gutted about Mewtwo's exclusion from Brawl, hardcores and casuals alike can recognize Toad as an iconic character/species (and question why he wasn't playable sooner); Pac-Man would get the third-party ball rolling whilst leaving people to speculate about the less-obvious third party inclusions, and frankly it wouldn't be a Sakurai trailer without an oddball character being announced so I left a slot open for some other newcomer franchise that would get the fans going.

Plus, right off the bat it would introduce a newcomer for the Mario series and a returning veteran from the Pokemon series, which if nothing else would lead to some intense debate up here on Smashboards (will Mario only get one newcomer? Is Mewtwo replacing Lucario? Is there a maximum limit on how many characters a single franchise can have playable?).

Oh and with the above characters, they'd definitely have to have a scene in the trailer with the cast of SMB2 (Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach) and a few shots of a full-blown third-party fight (Mario, Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man). :p

A man can dream, right?

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
If I had to hazard a guess - or rather, my personal preference - as to the first newcomers announced, I'd probably go with the following:

1. Mewtwo (with both Regular forme and Awakened forme) - not technically a newcomer but he's been missing for a game and would hopefully have a new forme, so hey, it counts I guess
2. Toad
3. Pac-Man
4. Surprise Reveal - either a character from the 8-bit days, or a character from a newer release i.e. Dillon's Rolling Western, Golden Sun, Pushmo, Xenoblade etc.
That sounds pretty good. I'd say the oddball would be either Palutena, for feminism/so Sakurai can tout his new baby, orrrr Little Mac for recognisability/new franchise.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That sounds pretty good. I'd say the oddball would be either Palutena, for feminism/so Sakurai can tout his new baby, orrrr Little Mac for recognisability/new franchise.
I sure hope Little Mac will make it in....

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I sure hope Little Mac will make it in....
me too... I thought he was a given, til I found out he's apparently not as popular in Japan as he is Western-wards :(
but there's still plenty of hope for him, I think.

D

Deleted member

Posting this here since it's relevant to this topic:

In about a month, E3 2013 will finally arrive. At that time, judgment day will finally begin in regards to characters. While there will be many hopefuls that will finally see the light in Smash, many more will unfortunately miss out for a variety of reasons. E3 is when we can begin to learn the fate of a few hopefuls that the Smash Bros. community has been missing out. Here are my prediction for E3 this year:

Ridley:
Ridley has been long overdue for a Smash appearance. One of the very few characters left to have been requested since pre-Melee, Ridley has the advantage of not only being massively popular but also being requested by fans for a very, very long time. He is Samus's worst nightmare that keeps coming around at the most unexpected times, waiting for the day when Ridley can finally kill Samus. Even death has failed to conquer Ridley for good.

Ridley is pretty much the best hype machine character for a Nintendo newcomer. He's still relevant and he's among the Top 5 most wanted characters (probably the fourth most wanted) with likely being the most wanted Nintendo newcomer in the West.

Normally, he seems suited to be an unlockable, but considering that fans have asked for him so long, he seems to work much better as an E3 reveal similar to how Meta-Knight worked as an unlockable very well but ended up being at E3. After all of these years, I think Sakurai wants to finally end those sleepless nights for Ridley fans. Granted, his appearance is dependent on Samus's return, but I still expect to see him at E3 nonetheless.

Palutena:
If there's going to be a female newcomer at E3 this year, no one else works better as a reveal than Palutena herself.

Given that Sakurai has developed Kid Icarus: Uprising and that it's unlikely that he'll express the same fear about over-representation as he did with Kirby, I think there's a very strong chance of Pit showing up at E3 this year. If Pit does show up at E3 this year, I feel that it's only natural that Palutena also tags along with Pit as well, showing her transition to playable status. Palutena also has the benefit of being by far the most wanted female character and being only slightly behind Pit in importance (the franchise is even named after her in Japan). She has a very good chance at being revealed at E3 this year.

Little Mac:
Pretty much a "duh" choice at E3 at this point. He's the main character of the biggest misc. franchise left that Sakurai hasn't ruled out yet and like Ridley, is also among the Top 5 most wanted characters. Little Mac is one of the most likely potential newcomers not playable yet and pretty much nothing holds him back outside of lack of Japanese popularity (which even then is countered by his massive Western popularity). What makes an E3 appearance even more likely is that he's not dependent on any character getting in, which bodes well for him. I'd be surprised if Little Mac failed to show up at E3 this year.

Takamaru:
We're getting a retro character no matter how people view the situation and we are going to seeing a retro character at E3. It's almost certain that Takamaru is going to be playable this game as he has pretty much everything going for him. Takamaru works really well as Smash 4's "surprise" character (despite Takamaru being expected by the vast majority of the speculation community, we're in the very small minority) as most people don't even think about him, yet an E3 appearance allows the world to see exactly who he is and I think he could bring a lot of excitement into the scene. Pretty obscure, but could bring hype as a "surprise" character. I'd be surprised if he was not at E3, especially since no other retro choice could bring a surprise hype (outside of maybe Mach Rider, but he's going to be unlockable if in at all, so I don't see him being revealed this early).

Mega Man:
Now this is a tough nut to crack as pretty much anything could happen with third-parties, but this is one risky prediction worth taking.

One great way for third-parties to be revealed is at E3. Sakurai is going to want a third-party that brings hype to the game and along with it, excitement. While Mega Man is far from the only possibility for a third-party E3 reveal, he does stand the best chance of being revealed there because of him being probably the most wanted newcomer, Capcom of Japan having some interest in Mega Man's inclusion in Smash, Sakurai noticing his popularity ever since pre-Melee and being a video game icon. If Sakurai wants a third-party, Mega Man fits really well into the description of an exciting third-party choice that would bring hype to the game.

And with that my quick writing of my E3 predictions is over. There are certainly other possibilities out there such as King K. Rool, Shulk and a Namco rep and I will probably get one of these wrong, but these are the ones I feel are the most likely.

Should be fun to see how close I get.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In about a month, E3 2013 will finally arrive. At that time, judgment day will finally begin in regards to characters. While there will be many hopefuls that will finally see the light in Smash, many more will unfortunately miss out for a variety of reasons. E3 is when we can begin to learn the fate of a few hopefuls that the Smash Bros. community has been missing out. Here are my prediction for E3 this year:

Ridley:
Ridley has been long overdue for a Smash appearance. One of the very few characters left to have been requested since pre-Melee, Ridley has the advantage of not only being massively popular but also being requested by fans for a very, very long time. He is Samus's worst nightmare that keeps coming around at the most unexpected times, waiting for the day when Ridley can finally kill Samus. Even death has failed to conquer Ridley for good.

Ridley is pretty much the best hype machine character for a Nintendo newcomer. He's still relevant and he's among the Top 5 most wanted characters (probably the fourth most wanted) with likely being the most wanted Nintendo newcomer in the West.

Normally, he seems suited to be an unlockable, but considering that fans have asked for him so long, he seems to work much better as an E3 reveal similar to how Meta-Knight worked as an unlockable very well but ended up being at E3. After all of these years, I think Sakurai wants to finally end those sleepless nights for Ridley fans. Granted, his appearance is dependent on Samus's return, but I still expect to see him at E3 nonetheless.

Palutena:
If there's going to be a female newcomer at E3 this year, no one else works better as a reveal than Palutena herself.

Given that Sakurai has developed Kid Icarus: Uprising and that it's unlikely that he'll express the same fear about over-representation as he did with Kirby, I think there's a very strong chance of Pit showing up at E3 this year. If Pit does show up at E3 this year, I feel that it's only natural that Palutena also tags along with Pit as well, showing her transition to playable status. Palutena also has the benefit of being by far the most wanted female character and being only slightly behind Pit in importance (the franchise is even named after her in Japan). She has a very good chance at being revealed at E3 this year.

Little Mac:
Pretty much a "duh" choice at E3 at this point. He's the main character of the biggest misc. franchise left that Sakurai hasn't ruled out yet and like Ridley, is also among the Top 5 most wanted characters. Little Mac is one of the most likely potential newcomers not playable yet and pretty much nothing holds him back outside of lack of Japanese popularity (which even then is countered by his massive Western popularity). What makes an E3 appearance even more likely is that he's not dependent on any character getting in, which bodes well for him. I'd be surprised if Little Mac failed to show up at E3 this year.

Takamaru:
We're getting a retro character no matter how people view the situation and we are going to seeing a retro character at E3. It's almost certain that Takamaru is going to be playable this game as he has pretty much everything going for him. Takamaru works really well as Smash 4's "surprise" character (despite Takamaru being expected by the vast majority of the speculation community, we're in the very small minority) as most people don't even think about him, yet an E3 appearance allows the world to see exactly who he is and I think he could bring a lot of excitement into the scene. Pretty obscure, but could bring hype as a "surprise" character. I'd be surprised if he was not at E3, especially since no other retro choice could bring a surprise hype (outside of maybe Mach Rider, but he's going to be unlockable if in at all, so I don't see him being revealed this early).

Mega Man:
Now this is a tough nut to crack as pretty much anything could happen with third-parties, but this is one risky prediction worth taking.

One great way for third-parties to be revealed is at E3. Sakurai is going to want a third-party that brings hype to the game and along with it, excitement. While Mega Man is far from the only possibility for a third-party E3 reveal, he does stand the best chance of being revealed there because of him being probably the most wanted newcomer, Capcom of Japan having some interest in Mega Man's inclusion in Smash, Sakurai noticing his popularity ever since pre-Melee and being a video game icon. If Sakurai wants a third-party, Mega Man fits really well into the description of an exciting third-party choice that would bring hype to the game.

And with that my quick writing of my E3 predictions is over. There are certainly other possibilities out there such as King K. Rool, Shulk and a Namco rep and I will probably get one of these wrong, but these are the ones I feel are the most likely.

Great post. I agree with almost everything there. Very similar to my prediction.

Although I think Pac is more likely than Mega Man. And I'm less convinced that they would make Ridley a starter (I think even K.Rool has a slightly better chance of being a starter).
Only other difference was I included Shulk in my list who was mentioned anyway.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Agreed that was a great hype post.

It'll be very interesting to look back at this thread and see if anyone gets all the newcomers right, but I feel like Sakurai is gonna throw a curve ball that nobody saw coming.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Ridley:

Palutena:

Little Mac:

Takamaru:

Mega Man:

While this would be fantastic, it seems pretty unlikely to me. Not unlikely as in these characters won't make the roster, most of these probably will, but I find it unlikely that all of these fan favorites will be shown at the same time. Palutena and Ridley would be enough to hype up the game themselves, much like Meta Knight and Wario did for many, where as Takamaru works well at introducing a new series like Pit did. The world would probably implode if Mega Man and Little Mac were announced in the same trailer as the previous mentioned characters though. If Mega Man is in, which I really hope, then he'll probably be held back much like Sonic was, to even out the hype through the Dojo updates. I could see them pulling another Sonic-Dedede-Olimar thing, keeping some of the most wanted newcomers' announcements 'till last on the Dojo, to cause great hype as we near the release date. This could be mimicked quite well with Mega Man-K.Rool-Little Mac or something like that. If both Ridley and K. Rool are in I could see them holding Ridley back and throw K. Rool into the trailer instead. This is taking into consideration that these characters are in the game at all, that none of the above mentioned are unlockables, and that there will be a Dojo at all.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Here's Who I think will be the first newcomers revealed at E3!)

1) Shulk-(Xenoblade)
2) Palutena-(Kid Icarus Uprising)
3) Rosalina-(Super Mario Galaxy)
4) Mewtwo's new transformation-(Pokémon X & Y)
5) Ridley-(Metroid)
6) Pac-Man-(Arcade) (Namco Bandai Games)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Takamaru shouldn't be revealed at E3, it should be later revealed as an unlockable character, because it's not well known overall outside of Japan. Reveal another retro like Balloon Fighter, he fits better for retro category and is well known around the world.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Also here's my list redone again about who's going to be revealed:

1. Ridley (Highest requested Nintendo Newcomer)
2. Palutena (Female rep)
3. Balloon Fighter (It would probably make a great retro reveal alongside with Little Mac)
4. Shulk (New popular IP rep)
5. Little Mac (Most wanted retro)
6. Megaman (Most wanted 3rd Party)

This is probably the most hype list I ever built, without any characters that don't seem reveal worthy.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Banjo Kazooie is a lot of fun but I like Mario 64 better and it was a more popular game. We still have Mario, DK, etc. so although Rare makes great games, we still have great games for Nintendo.
Banjo-Kazooie is a LOT better than mario 64. if mario was a new IP then banjo would have probably been more popular, simply because it was better. mario 64 was still good, though.

also, on a more related note, here's who I think will be shown off at E3. but who really knows, right?
K Rool
Ridley
Palutena
Kamek
Little mac
Megaman

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I guess I'll redo my 5 people ideas.

Tanooki Mario (To represent the highly requested costume ideas)
Ridley (Because he's probably the 2nd most wanted character)
Palutena (To represent the women)
Dillon (To sort of advertise the eShop and get people pumped up for the possibilities)
Megaman (Because this will literally get 300,000 more people at least to buy this game)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I guess I'll redo my 5 people ideas.

Tanooki Mario (To represent the highly requested costume ideas)
Ridley (Because he's probably the 2nd most wanted character)
Palutena (To represent the women)
Dillon (To sort of advertise the eShop and get people pumped up for the possibilities)
Megaman (Because this will literally get 300,000 more people at least to buy this game)
Tanooki Mario would be at unlockability status; like Dr. Mario, probably not a good idea for E3.
Unless you meant just costume. As for Dillon, not too sure about his E3 reveal, wouldn't make the whole world excited.

Banjo-Kazooie is a LOT better than mario 64. if mario was a new IP then banjo would have probably been more popular, simply because it was better. mario 64 was still good, though.

also, on a more related note, here's who I think will be shown off at E3. but who really knows, right?
K Rool
Ridley
Palutena
Kamek
Little mac
Megaman
I think we have enough DKC starters, I think K. Rool should be unlockable, so he shouldn't be revealed at E3 yet.
I think I realized that Kamek could be a second rep for Yoshi's Island, that could be something I have never thought of. I think I can agree with you on this one.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If SSB were going to the exclusive characters way, they would have reveal the newcomers (who will be starters) that in general will be in both versions. (3rd Parties are still unlockables)
I think it should be these guys that should be revealed.

1. Ridley
2. Palutena
3. Takamaru
4. Tom Nook
5. Little Mac
6. Megaman
7. Pac-Man
8. Goku

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No one is ever going to take your opinion seriously if you keep advocating for Goku. I mean, the rumor that said he was being "considered" has already been proven false.

Plus eight is too many reveals, that's likely going to be more than half of the newcomers.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I imagine we'll get 3 or 4 ''no duh" reveals with one shock like Snake was.

So something like:

1. Little Mac
2. New Mario Rep (Toad, Bowser Jr, etc)
3. Ridley
4. K. Rool

And then a surprising reveal either through third party (Pac Man, Square Enix rep, or even the possibility of Bayonetta), or a returning character like Mewtwo.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Just ignore Goku if you don't like it :p

Also, revealing all the newcomers to everyone means that they know exactly who is going to be in the game.
So adding the ones revealed in the first trailer shows that they are going to be in both versions.
Then Sakurai will say there will be exclusive characters for each version, but will keep it a secret for later.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:rolleyes:

Also, revealing all the newcomers to everyone means that they know exactly who is going to be in the game.
So adding the ones revealed in the first trailer shows that they are going to be in both versions.
Then Sakurai will say there will be exclusive characters for each version, but will keep it a secret for later.
Thing is, revealing all the starting newcomers for a game that's likely still over a year away is a bad way to keep the hype going in between now and whenever the game releases. You've got to string along interest in the game in the months in between to keep hype relatively high. There's a reason Brawl's newcomers were revealed gradually and over a long period.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah. We're not gonna get all the starters. The hype for Brawl was one of the things drove the game to insane sales. They're gonna want something to pace out on whatever type of Dojo/Website we get.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well technically I didn't say they were all going to be starters.
Later it could be revealed that Roy is a starter in the 3DS Version and Chrom is a starter in the Wii U Version.
Or Maybe N as a starter in the Wii U version and Pokemon Trainer in the 3DS version.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well technically I didn't say they were all going to be starters.
Later it could be revealed that Roy is a starter in the 3DS Version and Chrom is a starter in the Wii U Version.
Or Maybe N as a starter in the Wii U version and Pokemon Trainer in the 3DS version.
Regardless, revealing 8 characters, no matter how many characters you have on your roster(s), would be the majority of the actual game, and considering you've also got to factor in unlockable characters (other than 3rd parties), it would leave very few characters to reveal in the time between the trailer and release. Don't expect more than five characters to be in the initial trailer, even if exclusives are embraced.

Also, your exclusives don't make much sense. All those characters are better suited to be 3DS exclusives, if they had to be one or the other.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really don't get the whole "exclusives" idea, nothing good seems to come out of it at all, except for minimally higher sales and a pissed off fanbase.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wonder what's going to happen if (when) Ridley isn't revealed in the reveal trailer. He's so expected to be shown, and I frankly see his expectations being put so ridiculously high and literally no one is questioning why. He actually has stuff going against him being included but I feel like everyone is somehow so mesmerized by him that they ignore it.

It's just baffling to me. Is he a good candidate? Sure. But, he's not nearly as bulletproof as people here would lead you to believe. Sakurai himself has kinda, riddled him with bullet holes.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

You mean to piss PeePz off....

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I wonder what's going to happen if (when) Ridley isn't revealed in the reveal trailer. He's so expected to be shown, and I frankly see his expectations being put so ridiculously high and literally no one is questioning why. He actually has stuff going against him being included but I feel like everyone is somehow so mesmerized by him that they ignore it.

It's just baffling to me. Is he a good candidate? Sure. But, he's not nearly as bulletproof as people here would lead you to believe. Sakurai himself has kinda, riddled him with bullet holes.

I'm really not expecting Ridley to be revealed in the first trailer... I think K.Rool will be, and I don't think they'll both be shown at once. It'd be discouraging, but by no means would I take it to indicate that he wasn't getting in at all.

But yes, there are definitely reasons to doubt his inclusion.

I think it'll be something like:
K.Rool
Little Mac
Mega Man (or other well-known third party character)
and a "curveball".

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yup, mentioned that in another thread somewhere around here. It's like people are acting like his inclusion is 100% certain, talking about when he might be announced for SSB4. I'm usually questioning IF he'll be announced to SSB4 at all. There are other characters which seem more likely to me, like K. Rool and Little Mac, they seem easier to integrate and also make for a lot of hype. Despite being a big Ridley supporter I also try to be realistic on his chances. But let's be honest, while he has some things going against his chances he also have a lot going for him

I would say that if he doesn't make it into this game then it's probably because Sakurai has some personal grudge against him or something.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yup, mentioned that in another thread somewhere around here. It's like people are acting like his inclusion is 100% certain, talking about when he might be announced for SSB4. I'm usually questioning IF he'll be announced to SSB4 at all. There are other characters which seem more likely to me, like K. Rool and Little Mac, they seem easier to integrate and also make for a lot of hype. Despite being a big Ridley supporter I also try to be realistic on his chances. But let's be honest, while he has some things going against his chances he also have a lot going for him

I would say that if he doesn't make it into this game then it's probably because Sakurai has some personal grudge against him or something.
Thats what i been sayingggg i want him DEARLYYY but i aint brainwashed, delussional (i aint married yet...)
....about his chances i see him being rejected is a very real chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom