• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first newcomers revealed for Smash 4? (Expect first trailer at E3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Only two weeks to go, and my money is and will continue to be on:

1. Ridley/K. Rool (The other will be Dojo'd)
2. Palutena
3. Takamaru
4. Little Mac
5. Mega Man (Or Bayonetta, or Namco.) The Third Party.

For the reveal trailer.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to 3rd party characters, I am thinking one out of these Mans: Ray/Mega/Bomber/Pac. Ubi and Nintendo have always been quite lovey-dovey, and Rayman is a good fit. However, Bayonetta and Travis Touchdown are possible, but less likely for the reveal trailer.

As for 1st party characters, I am thinking Krystal is possible (because the SF series didn't get a newcomer in Brawl's reveal trailer, and Sakurai has attention to balance and mixing things up) IF she is in. Also, Little Mac to introduce a new game franchise and get some old-school representation, a new FE character or Shulk, one new Mario or Zelda representative, and then Ridley or Palutena.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Also remember there is the possibility of there being no new characters revealed. I'd hope not but remember it just in case.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Also remember there is the possibility of there being no new characters revealed. I'd hope not but remember it just in case.
Definitely. I'd say odds are against that though, (Deeeeefinitely hope so...)since the biggest form of hype building is new characters, and I'm sure they know that.

In addition, I don't expect them to pull a Micrpsoft and show us none of what we want. I'd like to think they know better.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Peach
Bowser
Sheik
Ice Climbers

Mostly all the veterans appeared along with some miscellaneous characters in adventure mode.

makes you wonder how the trailer will go down... everyone's assuming the Brawl format will be followed to a tee, but what if they go the route of melee and announce almost al the starters off the bat?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
makes you wonder how the trailer will go down... everyone's assuming the Brawl format will be followed to a tee, but what if they go the route of melee and announce almost al the starters off the bat?

It's a definite possibility too. I guess my thinking is since I enjoyed Brawl's reveal method so much, and the Dojo and such was extremely popular, I'm hoping they do that sort of thing over again. Never have I been as hyped as then.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
It's a definite possibility too. I guess my thinking is since I enjoyed Brawl's reveal method so much, and the Dojo and such was extremely popular, I'm hoping they do that sort of thing over again. Never have I been as hyped as then.

Same. Brawl was an exercise in how to perfectly execute hype, imo. It probably worked to its detriment in the long run.
Much as I'm pumped for Dojo 2, I'd be cool with a ridonculously good reveal with a butt ton of new stuff, for a change if nothing else.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The lead up to Brawl is probably the most exciting thing I've ever been part of. Never been as hyped for anything ever as Brawl, not before, and not since

I really wouldn't mind a big reveal, considering we're getting less newcomers this time around I think we'll probably see 4 new characters in the trailer though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Wariofan
Not just that, but the reveal trailer IMO was the greatest trailer of all-time. It literally made us all wide-eyed from one end to the universe. Not just were 5 newcomers and veterans confirmed each, we got Dedede and Sonic de facto hyped and thus confirmed because of that trailer.

And yeah, we'll inevitably have less newcomers. I think we'll end up having only 12 more roster spots than Brawl (Melee had 14 more spots than Smash 64, and Brawl had 13 more roster spots than Melee).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
@ Wariofan
Not just that, but the reveal trailer IMO was the greatest trailer of all-time. It literally made us all wide-eyed from one end to the universe. Not just were 5 newcomers and veterans confirmed each, we got Dedede and Sonic de facto hyped and thus confirmed because of that trailer.

And yeah, we'll inevitably have less newcomers. I think we'll end up having only 12 more roster spots than Brawl (Melee had 14 more spots than Smash 64, and Brawl had 13 more roster spots than Melee).
Brawl's trailer is without a doubt the trailer I've rewatched the most. It really was pitch perfect at presenting the characters, final smashes, and it even managed to get a brief shot of an assist trophy in.

And yes, Dedede's announcement was the bestest day ever.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Brawl's trailer is without a doubt the trailer I've rewatched the most. It really was pitch perfect at presenting the characters, final smashes, and it even managed to get a brief shot of an assist trophy in.

Me too. I loved the Brawl trailer.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
The Melee trailer has better music and has greater energy though.

Like, it wasn't just emotionally rewarding and epic, it was like a composed little piece of art in itself. I remember some magazine I got featured a VCR cassette with that trailer in it. I must have watched it to pieces.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Melee trailer was essentially just a "presentation," aside from the Melee opening, which was video "proof" that Smash Bros. was going leaps and bounds forward.

The Melee opening I will say is still to this day my favorite video game opening of all-time. Like the Brawl reveal trailer, it is PERFECT!!!

Yeah, the Brawl trailer is perfect technically, emotionally, and in the fact that it threw in so much new stuff.
-New great graphics.
-5 new wonderful characters.
-The concept of playable 3rd party characters.
-A new Battlefield.
-A new Haleberd stage.
-Assist Trophies
-Oh and FREAKING FINAL SMASHESSSS!!!

Seriously, while we'll be lucky to get half of that, just imagine the graphics in Smash WiiU! The graphics in the presentation MIGHT ACTUALLY BE EQUAL TO THE GAMEPLAY GRAPHICS!!! I don't know about you, but to me, that news is INCREDIBLE!!!

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
There is only one character we all want to see in the trailer, even those who hate him actually want him so badly that they deny their love to him just to fool themselves to not be disappointed if he doesn't make it.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
\does anyone remember who was expected to be be the first characters announced for brawl, back before we knew what it was?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
\does anyone remember who was expected to be be the first characters announced for brawl, back before we knew what it was?
Wario was often discussed when looking back at threads, Pit too. Not really sure on others though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Wario and Ridley were among the most popular characters. Wario was the single most requested. (Hopefully that will bode well for Mega Man and Mewtwo this time around)

Pit also had a bit of a following, believe it or not. His announcement was less of a surprise than it seemed. Somehow what I feel Takamaru's might be. (Honestly, if he's announced, everyone on SWF is going to go "Ok, obvious. Next!"

Oasis linked a thread from 2003 a while ago, that's where I'm pulling this from...

I think Meta Knight was also highly requested, although I know Dedede had more requests. I think Meta Knight was just better trailer material.

I also remember Diddy (all the Kongs did actually, and K. Rool) having a decent number of requests. No one expected ZSS. In terms of general popularity, most of the characters chosen for Brawl (speaking in general now, not for announcement) were extremely popular choices. (Diddy, Wolf, Dedede, etc.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In the beginning of the trailer through the middle, they show the new graphics and new mechanics. Then about in the end of the trailer, they show all 5 newcomers.

Gotta keep up the suspense. Word.

Although I still really hope for one more like Brawl. They can do all that at once!

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
If the mechanic introduction is anything like the Smash Ball introduction and that Mario Finale, it would be a crime not to show it off.

Yet, I feel compelled to keep my expectations lower. Sakurai and Nintendo always wait until they are good and ready, so they might decide to show off a shorter trailer, and then promise more for later. This won't be during a conference but in an ND, and that could change how they want to present the game for the first time. It might be introduced in a less cinematic and more gameplay-focused fashion, so that Iwata can talk about it. He likes talking, it would seem.

Sakurai might show up during the ND to introduce it instead of Iwata - he is quite popular and prone to interact with fans, although he may be too humble or reluctant to speak even in a recorded video. He is a different chap, is Sakurai.

Bear in mind that Smash Brros. is an F5-button-abusing hype machine that is pretty self-sustaining. If they feel they can do another Dojo that kicks off later this year, then that will be enough to keep excitement going even if the ND reveal is more of an appetizer.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wario, Diddy Kong, Metaknight, King Dedede, Ridley, Bowser Jr, Waluigi, Krystal, and Olimar were the most talked about. Before Snake's reveal, 3rd party characters were largely disregarded and Pit was commonly dismissed too.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not exactly what the topic is asking for, but how about this:

When Brawl was first shown, it was about 5-8 months in development. When SSB4 will be shown, it will be about 16 months in development. When the game is shown, they will likely show off a good deal more than what Brawl showed off. So I would expect the characters would look something like........
The original 8
Peach
Bowser
Meta-Knight
Pit
Diddy Kong
King K Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Takamaru

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think Megaman and Takamaru are very likely to appear. Nintendo's inclusion of a wide range of Megaman games on their Virtual Consoles since January has struck me as a little suspicious and I feel that Takamaru has been made into this generation's Pit by the fans. The only other retro character that has gotten about the same amount of attention is the Balloon Fighter but he doesn't really "wow" people like Takamaru does.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Megaman and Takamaru are very likely to appear. Nintendo's inclusion of a wide range of Megaman games on their Virtual Consoles since January has struck me as a little suspicious.

It isn't really suspicious at all. It's Capcom celebrating Megaman's 25th anniversary by releasing his games to the virtual console. Seeing as they are celebrating his 25th anniversary they could go out and request Sakurai to make him playable as part of the celebration but who knows I guess.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The 25th anniversary was technically last year, wasn't it?

I don't remember, I didn't follow Megaman's 25th anniversary. But I recall Capcom saying something along the lines of rereleasing his games to the Virtual Console as part of the 25th anniversary. I could have gotten my info wrong though which could be possible. :/

D

Deleted member

I've actually felt that releasing games on the Virtual Console was a way for Capcom to celebrate having Mega Man's 25th anniversary, which especially explains the slew of VC re-releases this year. It doesn't help his chance (which are already good for a third-party), although it does show that Capcom is not forgetting about Mega Man.

And yes, Capcom is celebrating Mega Man's 25th anniversary this year. It started at the tail end of last year with the release of Street Fighter X Tekken.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
Man there's so many choices to go with. :confused: I'm guessing the revealing newcomers may be Palutena, Little Mac, Ridley, possibly Bowser Jr, and if we're lucky maybe a 3rd party character! :grin:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Dillon, and Mach-Rider.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
I think Palutena, Rosalina a new Pokemon character, etc are preety obvious inclutions, so I think the newcomers for the e3 trailer must be HYPE-CREATORS. I wish some 3rd party characters for that trailer. Nintendo has a low role this e3 and they must show up a lot of cards. Its the e3 come on! I want to see 3rd party newcomers! I know its hard buuut I would love to see Ryu and Kazuya over Megaman and pac-man. What can I say, that would be a HYPE-MACHINE in the right place and right time. First Party: Krystal (oh god pleaaaasee!) Shulk, and the New Mewtwo Form.

Below my wishes..... WHISHES!! Not the answer for this questions, only my personal wishes.

Rooster SSBB4.jpg

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's gotta be the first time I've seen someone want Kraid as a playable character. Personally I like him, but I don't think he'd make a great character, given that Kraid is all about being big, unlike Ridley. He'd make a much better boss imo.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
When SSB4 will be shown, it will be about 16 months in development.

I thought that couldn't be right... but it is O.O Mind blown.
So why is everyone projecting a mid/late 2014 release date..? THat'd be a crazy long development cycle, even for smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom