• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first newcomers revealed for Smash 4? (Expect first trailer at E3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would say that if he doesn't make it into this game then it's probably because Sakurai has some personal grudge against him or something.
Or Sakurai has never viewed him as either:

A. A viable playable character
B. Anything more than a boss

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Im a fan too Im excited for this game but i have little hope...i dont ''expect'' great things from it.
Im setting a bar for this game anyway a personsl bar
That it has to be better than brawl.
my bar is that has to be better than the original. that's really not too hard to do.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what's going to happen if (when) Ridley isn't revealed in the reveal trailer. He's so expected to be shown, and I frankly see his expectations being put so ridiculously high and literally no one is questioning why. He actually has stuff going against him being included but I feel like everyone is somehow so mesmerized by him that they ignore it.

It's just baffling to me. Is he a good candidate? Sure. But, he's not nearly as bulletproof as people here would lead you to believe. Sakurai himself has kinda, riddled him with bullet holes.

So glad to finally see someone point this out. Like, that infamous quote from Sakurai says he's ' pretty impossible, but..' and everyone remembers the 'but'.
When he said that if they had put in their best efforts, they might have been able to make it work - surely that's applicable to anyone?

I mean, I still really, really want Ridley and think he's likely, just seeing everyone think he's a complete given is annoying cuz ya just know everyone'll blow it way outta proportion if he doesn't get in.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well Brawl couldnt/didnt do it.....
well, I thought Brawl was more fun, and had more content, making it better than the original. honestly, I like the gameplay in 64 better than brawl OR melee(minus the side specials), but that's an opinion.

alright, back on topic now plz.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
As a heads up I just sent a request to a forum mod asking to move this thread from the Smash 4 Character Discussion section to the E3 discussion section instead.

Not sure if it'll actually be moved or not but I thought it would be fairly appropriate since this is pretty much an E3 hype thread regardless.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I agree on the move. It'll be pretty much usless after the trailer is shown anyway.

I think that either Sonic's return will be confirmed and/or a new third party revealed.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I wonder what's going to happen if (when) Ridley isn't revealed in the reveal trailer. He's so expected to be shown, and I frankly see his expectations being put so ridiculously high and literally no one is questioning why. He actually has stuff going against him being included but I feel like everyone is somehow so mesmerized by him that they ignore it.

It's just baffling to me. Is he a good candidate? Sure. But, he's not nearly as bulletproof as people here would lead you to believe. Sakurai himself has kinda, riddled him with bullet holes.
I agree and I'm a huge Ridley supporter. He certainly could be done no doubt but at the time of that interview Sakurai probably never thought twice about Ridley. I would even go so far to say he might have had the same mind set that many of the naysayers had, "too big, too awkward." I mean one has to wonder why Ridley has such a split opinion about is playability. Maybe there really is something to that overwhelming opinion. Maybe not.

When I read his answer from Nintendo Power it strikes me as a consideration that never once came to mind, until just then. It genuinely seemed to me Sakurai's thought process was "Ridley?! No of course not, sily. *light bulb* But you know... Now that you mention it, maybe if we really put some effort in and made him into some slow heavy hitter. That sound ok?"

I swear that's what comes to mind when I read that portion of the interview. Almost as if he was caught off guard by the sheer fact that someone said "what about Ridley?" Instead of everyone just looking past him all these years without an ounce of consideration. Video game creators are biased fans just like we are. Chances are e majority of the employees working on Melee and Brawl instantly put Ridley in the impossibly outrageous pile.

Then some American from Nintendo Power comes around and just throws it out there. Then Sakurai's like "That is so crazy! It just might work..."

I think its possible but hardly a shoe in.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I agree and I'm a huge Ridley supporter. He certainly could be done no doubt but at the time of that interview Sakurai probably never thought twice about Ridley. I would even go so far to say he might have had the same mind set that many of the naysayers had, "too big, too awkward." I mean one has to wonder why Ridley has such a split opinion about is playability. Maybe there really is something to that overwhelming opinion. Maybe not.

When I read his answer from Nintendo Power it strikes me as a consideration that never once came to mind, until just then. It genuinely seemed to me Sakurai's thought process was "Ridley?! No of course not, sily. *light bulb* But you know... Now that you mention it, maybe if we really put some effort in and made him into some slow heavy hitter. That sound ok?"

I swear that's what comes to mind when I read that portion of the interview. Almost as if he was caught off guard by the sheer fact that someone said "what about Ridley?" Instead of everyone just looking past him all these years without an ounce of consideration. Video game creators are biased fans just like we are. Chances are e majority of the employees working on Melee and Brawl instantly put Ridley in the impossibly outrageous pile.

Then some American from Nintendo Power comes around and just throws it out there. Then Sakurai's like "That is so crazy! It just might work..."

I think its possible but hardly a shoe in.
I completly get you its ****ed though swinging your head millions of times around one guys quote even if ut Sakurai...i said before and like you said ''Ridkey wasent Acknowledged to be playable ever''
But now HE IS! hes popular as hell and he damn sure knows it and its not too late to add him!
So if he doesnt get in and another metroid rep gets in if course it Ridley crossed his mind but he said no either because he doesnt like him/doesnt think he would fit in.

but thats just crap beyond belief because of all these Ridley hacks that look damn natural! And there just hacks!

Bottom line is if he dont get in then Ridley is not meant to be playable by Sakurai's standards and you would know this time damn sure he knows about Ridleys support too.

D

Deleted member

I think the reason why people are expecting Ridley so much this time is because of how he would work better as a cinematic reveal than King K. Rool would. If Ridley gets in, I expect him to either be an E3 reveal or saved as an unlockable character; but I pick the former for my prediction just because I think he would work better in a E3 trailer (which is really the only reason why I'm not predicting King K. Rool since he feels like a character that would be more like a Dojo reveal).

As for me, I go back and forth on whenever or not I actually want him or just consider him to be highly deserving. Then again, I've never played a game with Ridley on it, so it does explain my lack of attachment towards him. Personally, I'd much rather see King K. Rool or Mewtwo as the "villain" reveal for the game since I do have attachment towards these characters and really want them in (only character I want more is Mega Man).

Now if Ridley does fail to show at E3, I don't think it necessarily affects his chance. What will happen, however, is that the fan base will probably be engaged in one last battle for his inclusion that will last until release and needless to say, lots of annoying "He's too big!' argument will occur (despite Sakurai not even mentioning size).

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I hope one of em is Lady Palutena. After the brilliance that is Kid Icarus Uprising, I would expect the Kid Icarus series to get another representative, and who else better than the hilarious Goddess of Light herself? However, knowing Nintendo, it would be likely that Pit would have to be in the trailer as a returning character prior to Palutena's reveal to make it more of a coincidence.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
Are there actually people who think Kamek has a shot? There will probably be like 15 newcomers in this game give or take and I highly doubt he'd be playable in a smash bros game. Maybe Assist Trophy, but playable seems like a pipe dream.

As for the reveal, Little Mac does seem like a lock to be one of the first revealed as is Palutena. I could potentially see a Fire Emblemier such as Lucina or Chrom if they're going to be in. Honestly, Ridley doesn't seem like he is ever happening. He clearly deserves to be in the game, and Sakurai knows how much people want him, yet he still hasn't added him. I could easily be wrong and Ridley will be the first character revealed, but it seems like he just doesn't want it to happen.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I don't predict that many newbies. Brawl had 12 (plus 3 cuts), and I've heard he wants to focus a bit more on balance this time, so I take that to mean less newbies.

My bets are highly placed on Palutena and Ridley, and perhaps if there's a new 3rd party, that person too.

If Sakurai *really* wanted to troll, he'd replace Mario with Luigi (cuz Year of the Luigi), unveil the oddballs, including a female FE rep (That isn't Lucina or Lyn. Hell, Lucina might send the FE fans into conniptions).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm thinking that Ridley, Lil' Mac and maybe Palutena will be revealed. Maybe Megaman or a Namco character if a third party was revealed.

D

Deleted member

I don't predict that many newbies. Brawl had 12 (plus 3 cuts), and I've heard he wants to focus a bit more on balance this time, so I take that to mean less newbies.

My bets are highly placed on Palutena and Ridley, and perhaps if there's a new 3rd party, that person too.

If Sakurai *really* wanted to troll, he'd replace Mario with Luigi (cuz Year of the Luigi), unveil the oddballs, including a female FE rep (That isn't Lucina or Lyn. Hell, Lucina might send the FE fans into conniptions).
Brawl had eighteen characters, transformation included. I think we will get at least ten characters in the game (my guess is fourteen overall, transformation included).

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling if we are to expect to a trailer we're probably not gonna get K Rool or Krystal in those trailers. Now my reasoning is that if anything they'll be middle of the road or hidden characters and unless their main characters get shown in the trailer their chances go extremely down. The reason why the Brawl trailer worked so much was that it consisted of mostly faces of the brand with Link, Pikachu, Mario, Kirby, Snake, Pit, and Samus with the side characters having a main character so you can gain a resemblance or associate that character with it's origins series in Meta Knight and Wario. To have Krystal or K Rool just show up with Donkey Kong or Fox would just be weird. And to have those two be the first reveals compared to Pikachu and Kirby would also be a bit weird but it's not off-putting. Though I would put my money soundly on neither of those two showing up first in the trailer so i'd probably pull my finger from predicting K Rool and Krystal as the first few newcomers.

Now onto my predictions. I'm going to go with Ridley(Samus will probably be the female character that shows up(unless Pit shows up to confirm Paulentena) and we won't have a female newcomer like the previous years), Little Mac(Self-Explanatory), Paulentena(Only if Pit shows up), Takamaru(To do battle with Little Mac), and Pac Man(seeing as how Capcom has really thrown Megaman around i'd hardly think they'd put him in this game even if Inafune wants him in Smash 4). My outrageous pick though is gonna go to Mewtwo. I imagine that he'll be the second to last to Pac Man to appear, I imagine he'll appear in a purple aura with his intense eyes starring at you but he's surrounded in shadow so you can't really see and then BAM we get "Returning: MewTwo" and it's Mewtwo in his new look so that arouses some interest in the new Pokemon games while getting mewtwo possibly a new moveset so he and Lucario can co-exist.(even though their moveset similarities are really minor)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Metroid is big enough to have at least one more interesting character, that is Ridley.
That's the baffling thing to me. Metroid is at least bigger than Star Fox, Mother and Fire Emblem, all 3 which have multiple characters, and it can be argued whether or not it's toe to toe with Kirby in popularity. Sadly, I think that Sakurai might consider ZSS a seperate character. I don't really consider Sheik a seperate character from Zelda either, and I consider Pokémon Trainer one character too, so with that I also consider Samus/ZSS the same character, and seeing such a popular and critically acclaimed franchise have only 1 character kind of hurts.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
That's the baffling thing to me. Metroid is at least bigger than Star Fox, Mother and Fire Emblem, all 3 which have multiple characters, and it can be argued whether or not it's toe to toe with Kirby in popularity. Sadly, I think that Sakurai might consider ZSS a seperate character. I don't really consider Sheik a seperate character from Zelda either, and I consider Pokémon Trainer one character too, so with that I also consider Samus/ZSS the same character, and seeing such a popular and critically acclaimed franchise have only 1 character kind of hurts.
The thing about star fox mother and fire emblem is that they are very character based games while metroid is mainly focused on only samus. I don't think we should think of things from a series to series basis, but a character to character basis. Though from what I hear, Ridley definetly deserves a spot.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The main issue is that those other series have other characters to draw from. Metroid mostly focuses on Samus and Samus only. Though Ridley should be in Smash as he's the main antagonist more or less. So unless we get more reoccurring characters in the Metroid series, Ridley, and even more unlikely, Dark Samus are the only ones with a chance of getting in Smash Bros. Though obviously Ridley has a bigger chance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, that's true, and it's one of the things that define Metroid's atmosphere, so I'm not sure how I missed that. But still, it's quite weird how the Bowser, Ganondorf and Wolf of Metroid hasn't become playable, though it's most likely because he's much harder to integrate than those, especially considering two of those are semi-clones of other characters.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
For some odd reason, I highly expect Megaman to be the first newcomer to be revealed. However, If Newtwo is considered as a "Newcomer" , then I predict that Newtwo will be the first character revealed.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, that's true, and it's one of the things that define Metroid's atmosphere, so I'm not sure how I missed that. But still, it's quite weird how the Bowser, Ganondorf and Wolf of Metroid hasn't become playable, though it's most likely because he's much harder to integrate than those, especially considering two of those are semi-clones of other characters.
Well, I still think Ridley has a good chance of getting into Smash 4, though I don't think he's an automatic shoe-in like some people do. But he does seem likely. And maybe the Metroid series will introduce some new reoccurring characters in the future.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
I would say introduce all 8 veteran fighters from the original to appear. As for the newcomers, I'd would say:

Issac/Matthew
Bowser Jr.
Ghirahim
Krystal
Zoroark
Shulk
Little Mac
A third-party rep

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to say, 5 newcomers maximum. Anything higher is just unreasonable.

As for those 5:

Little Mac XOR Takamaru
Mii
Ridley
Mewtwo
Megaman

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice

why would Lucina cause conniptions? :O

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Come to think of it, Brawl got most of the important secondary characters from existing series so either expect less characters or barrel scraping.

In terms of what Secondary characters are left, I don't think we'll be seeing any more Mario ones but Waluigi, Toad, Bowser Jr. and Princess Daisy are potential ones. The Yoshi series's different characters are different colored Yoshis so not much here.

I think there'll be a new Donkey Kong Character as the Monkey has a large supporting cast but Diddy was the only one to consistently appear.

Tingle isn't as big as he once was and even if he's in the game I don't think they'd show him off in a western oriented conference like E3. I have my doubts about characters that debuted in Skyward Sword being playble but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Mewtwo looks like a lock but he may be saved for later.

There's nothing for me to say about Ridley that hasn't been said already.

Ditto for Krystal

Any additional Kirby character would be barrel scraping I'm afraid. Meta Knight and Dedede are the only other things in the series that make constant appearances.

Earthbound has a diverse cast to draw from but doesn't likely warrant additional characters. F-Zero is in the same boat but with the added wrinkle that any moveset would have to be made up entirely.

Fire Emblem has the cast and popularity but I am not able to consolidate the debate into one sentence.

Kid Icarus has made a comeback and brings a revamped universe with it. I could see a character from the series appearing in the trailer. Hoping for Palutena.

Pikmin may have Olimar replaced but I don't think so

What I'm getting at is the previous games added more of the supporting cast than adding new series. Maybe that's how Smash 4 will be different.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well, I don't know about you folks, but I could see Dillon making a first-appearence in announced characters. Not that it matters. I just want to see Victini any type of newcomer, really. :cool:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I personally hope not one new character is revealed in the trailer it'll drive everyone nuts! But, it'll build the anticipation to play the game and unlock the characters yourself like a mother ******. Well at least part of me wants that but, at the same time I would love to see just a couple of new characters to see that Newcomer: Ridley or Newcomer: King K. Rool pop up on screen would have me nerdgasming pretty hard. So I don't really know where I stand here one part of me wants not one new character revealed but another part of me thinks I will be pretty disappointed if I don't see at least one or two new characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In the original trailer for Melee, which characters appeared and how many were new?

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Well, I don't know about you folks, but I could see Dillon making a first-appearence in announced characters. Not that it matters. I just want to see Victini any type of newcomer, really. :cool:
I agree that this could happen. I saw in gameinformer that a new dillon game got released (with mediocre reviews but that's beside the point) I'm not sure if its 3ds ware game or if its a physical copy game, but the fact that that game was in production makes it seem like he's got a pretty good chance (and as much as I don't know about him, he looks pretty cool)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I used to be in huge support for Louie (pikmin 2) but if it happens, it'll probably be Charlie (pikmin 3)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Without a doubt the characters that would cause the most hype would be Mewtwo, Ridley, K Rool and Mega Man. I expect at least one of these guys to make it into smash with that character being shown in the reveal trailer. If two or more make it in the opening reveal I would flip out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom