• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first newcomers revealed for Smash 4? (Expect first trailer at E3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I thought that couldn't be right... but it is O.O Mind blown.
So why is everyone projecting a mid/late 2014 release date..? THat'd be a crazy long development cycle, even for smash.
I believe Smash started development in late Feburary. KI:U went gold in January. If you are curious, that's why I said 16.

The reason for mid/later 2014 is because people think this game will be in development for longer because it's two games. I disagree. I suspect both games will use the same engine and the splitting of the game is likely to expand the main game and the Adventure mode. My guess is early to mid 2014.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I believe Smash started development in late Feburary. KI:U went gold in January. If you are curious, that's why I said 16.

The reason for mid/later 2014 is because people think this game will be in development for longer because it's two games. I disagree. I suspect both games will use the same engine and the splitting of the game is likely to expand the main game and the Adventure mode. My guess is early to mid 2014.
it would love it if it came out by my birthday in September. too bad it's never going to happen

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I thought that couldn't be right... but it is O.O Mind blown.
So why is everyone projecting a mid/late 2014 release date..? THat'd be a crazy long development cycle, even for smash.
Well it is two games although I personally think there's a separate team for each one, Interesting thing to note though is that Melee was made in 13 months so it probably is more than half way done at this point.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice

Ah, cool beans. cheers. seems like a fair reasoning.

Though Brawl's development time was what, a bit over twenty months? 22 or 23? But it was meant to be lower, right? They delayed cuz of sonic or whatever, can't remember the reason... but basically, it was meant to be shorter and melee's was shorter. I agree that the two games shouldn't lead to a longer development time, unless they make them significantly different for some reason.

So given your guess of 15/16 months seeming pretty good, it's not unreasonable to think we could get it this year, is it? I've seen a buttload of pretty legit rumours pointing to such, thought they were daft til I considered what you said.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brawl was delayed about two extra months because of issues with the online features. If it hadn't have been for the online modes, Brawl probably would have been released in late November 2007 along with Super Mario Galaxy.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Brawl was delayed about two extra months because of issues with the online features. If it hadn't have been for the online modes, Brawl probably would have been released in late November 2007 along with Super Mario Galaxy.
cool. more's the point, so. They're not starting from a blank slate with the online, it's probably one of their highest priorities.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ah, cool beans. cheers. seems like a fair reasoning.

Though Brawl's development time was what, a bit over twenty months? 22 or 23? But it was meant to be lower, right? They delayed cuz of sonic or whatever, can't remember the reason... but basically, it was meant to be shorter and melee's was shorter. I agree that the two games shouldn't lead to a longer development time, unless they make them significantly different for some reason.

So given your guess of 15/16 months seeming pretty good, it's not unreasonable to think we could get it this year, is it? I've seen a buttload of pretty legit rumours pointing to such, thought they were daft til I considered what you said.
It started development in about October, but I suspect it may have been later than that. They had to hire extra staff for Brawl. Also, they were using Game Arts, which was a smaller team. They seem to be moving pretty well with Namco.

In June of 2012, Sakurai said Namco made a good prototype. In August, he said:

The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it," he said. "However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play
So they've made some progress. E3 will be about 10 months from that time. So this holiday is possible, but I'm doubtful. If development started in October, Brawl would have been released in about 25 months (a little over two years). Given this is two games, they could come out around April or May of 2014.

The first delay was probably Sonic since they did have to add a new character and stages just for him. The second delay was defiantly online, but I think it was only pushed back a week or two in Japan.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Not to grammar rage, but the word you're looking for is definitely. Defiantly is in defiance of something.

The third time I've seen this today on the internet (and that's being lucky).

I'm with Smashchu otherwise, I believe it'll be ready to go this time next year. It won't show up for the holiday purely to avoid cannibalizing sales from 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Wariofan
Not just that, but the reveal trailer IMO was the greatest trailer of all-time. It literally made us all wide-eyed from one end to the universe. Not just were 5 newcomers and veterans confirmed each, we got Dedede and Sonic de facto hyped and thus confirmed because of that trailer.

And yeah, we'll inevitably have less newcomers. I think we'll end up having only 12 more roster spots than Brawl (Melee had 14 more spots than Smash 64, and Brawl had 13 more roster spots than Melee).
Brawl actually has 10 more roster spots than Melee (25 to 35) but we had 18 newcomers total, even if it was at the expense of 5 cut characters.

That's gotta be the first time I've seen someone want Kraid as a playable character. Personally I like him, but I don't think he'd make a great character, given that Kraid is all about being big, unlike Ridley. He'd make a much better boss imo.
Kraid can be resized like Ridley. He was smaller in the NES game like Ridley was. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
you gotta be kidding me...
You cannot have it both ways... claim that Ridley was small in the NES game means he should be resized to be small in Smash and then in the same breath, claim that Kraid cannot be resized to be small in Smash even though he was small in the NES game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You cannot have it both ways... claim that Ridley was small in the NES game means he should be resized to be small in Smash and then in the same breath, claim that Kraid cannot be resized to be small in Smash even though he was small in the NES game.
Difference is Kraid was resized to be 10 stories tall.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl actually has 10 more roster spots than Melee (25 to 35) but we had 18 newcomers total, even if it was at the expense of 5 cut characters.
I don't care about spots on the stupid menu, I care about how many characters are actually playable. That's the actual definition of roster size. I mean, it's not like anyone will care about if we get say 5 more roster spots if we got say 15 more total characters. They'd focus on the roster.

Also, the 17/18 newcomers and 4/5 Melee character cuts is determined based on whether or not you consider Toon Link a newcomer.

I don't considering Toon Link a newcomer, and many people agree with me, but some people do consider him a newcomer, and we'll leave it at that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Sonic caused that much of a delay simply because it was only one character and one stage. Yes, he wasn't added until July 2007 but, if Kojima was to be believed, Brawl was about 80% done in April of that year so he was simply part of the finishing touches. Also, if the accounts were to be believed, the SSE (along with its cutscenes) took up something like 3/5ths of the development time, online took about 1/5th, and everything else took up the rest.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Sonic caused that much of a delay simply because it was only one character and one stage. Yes, he wasn't added until July 2007 but, if Kojima was to be believed, Brawl was about 80% done in April of that year so he was simply part of the finishing touches. Also, if the accounts were to be believed, the SSE (along with its cutscenes) took up something like 3/5ths of the development time, online took about 1/5th, and everything else took up the rest.
Sonic added, one character, one stage, lots of music, new custscenes, new stickers, new trophies, reworking SSE and all star mode, etc.

On e new character and the series that comes with it can take a lot of development time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyone who uses NES Ridley as the primary counter-argument against the "too big" issue needs to be decapitated right away.

Firstly, it's been retconned with Zero Mission, making Ridley's size in that part of the story the same as his usual size.

Secondly, There's loads of other reasons why Ridley can be resized and Kraid can't, the primary one is that Kraid is all about being big. Ridley is more like Bowser, he is not about being big, he is the main character's arch nemesis, and thus he can be resized to whatever size he needs to be in certain scenarios, because he is all about being the rival of the main character, and they just need to depict that. This was utilized in the Melee intro. Kraid is however just about being this tall and enormous boss that makes your jaw hit the floor with amazement. They also utilized this in Melee for the Brinstar Depths stage by making him even bigger than usual.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sonic added, one character, one stage, lots of music, new custscenes, new stickers, new trophies, reworking SSE and all star mode, etc.

On e new character and the series that comes with it can take a lot of development time.
There's really no evidence that it took a lot of time though. For example, it's estimated that by the time the first Brawl trailer was shown, everybody aside from a handful of characters (Toon Link/Wolf/Jigglypuff/Sonic) had already been added to the game. That would be about 35 characters in about seven months with 16 characters being completely new. There was only one piece of Sonic music that was a remix with the rest being ripped straight from their respective soundtracks, one cutscene involving Sonic, a couple of character models ripped straight from their respective games, a couple of stickers that were simply original artwork, and one largely simplistic stage. Sonic was a late addition but with Sakurai complaining through the whole development process of what an enormous pain making Brawl's online features was (sometimes even going as far as saying he didn't want to include it at all), it's much more likely that this was the cause of the delay.

geno

Smash Apprentice
1) Waluigi
2) Little Mac
3) Dixie Kong
4) Ridley
5) Megaman

It's really going to be hysterical when none of us are even close to being right

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Difference is Kraid was resized to be 10 stories tall.
You are referring to Melee's Kraid who is 10 stories tall in Brinstar Depths. Kraid looks like he is about 2 stories tall in Zero Mission and Super Metroid.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Gonna make my guesses right now

-A third-party character or something new
-A new series character or retro
-Something from a lesser series (Krystal or Masked Man?)
-A big gun (K. Rool or Ridley)
-Insert something here, if we even get 5 characters

Generic I know

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You are referring to Melee's Kraid who is 10 stories tall in Brinstar Depths. Kraid looks like he is about 2 stories tall in Zero Mission and Super Metroid.
that's still 2 stories tall. I think the "too big" argument actually WORKS for kraid.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
that's still 2 stories tall. I think the "too big" argument actually WORKS for kraid.
If Olimar can overcome his "too small" argument from the size of a quarter to roughly around Mario's height, then Kraid can overcome his "too big" argument from two stories tall to roughly Ridley's suggested size.

Do I support Kraid? Hell no! But I don't support double standards.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If Olimar can overcome his "too small" argument from the size of a quarter to roughly around Mario's height, then Kraid can overcome his "too big" argument from two stories tall to roughly Ridley's suggested size.

Do I support Kraid? Hell no! But I don't support double standards.
perspectivly, olimar wasn't small. sure, he was realistically, but not perspectivly. kraid, on the other hand, is big perspectivly AND big literally.

in other words, olimar looks not too small in our minds, even though we know he is. Kraid, on the other hand, is MASSIVE, and we all think of him that way.

My "too big" arguments are all about perspective.

ANYWAYS,

I bet little mac will be among the ones to appear at E3.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
They have taken plenty of gameplay and artistic liberties in the past. Just look at bowser in comparison to mario. Bowser should be way bigger. Then some attacks don't match their ingame affects at all. Size is not a real issue.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Honestly, I don't expect them to reveal too many newcomers in an E3 trailer because the hype for this game is already pretty high. If they're doing a Dojo website again, it would make sense for them to reveal newcomers there and keep the hype up for a longer period of time.

I almost kind of expect a trailer that reveals 5-7 of the expected veteran characters and ending the trailer with a zoom in on Ridley screeching or something. That in itself would build up hype (at least among Smash fans). I could see that plus maybe a new character like Little Mac being reveal at the beginning or something.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Am I the only one who thinks that the first Smash 4 trailer will be less character-centric and more gameplay-based? I mean, there is a 3DS version being made too, so it would stand to reason that the video shown at E3 will mainly involve showing footage of both games and maybe show off the supposed compatibility between them. Showing less new characters than were shown in Brawl's trailer would also make sense given that Sakurai has implied that there would be less newcomers than before; I would expect more veterans to be shown in their stead.

To that end, I expect only around three new characters being shown in the main trailer, with a new third party character being shown at the end ala Snake to end with a bang. While I won't try to guess a new third party character, if I had to make a bet on three Nintendo newcomers to appear in the trailer my money would be on Little Mac, Shulk, and Takamaru. All three seem like starter material and introduce a new series to Smash.
can I see the link to wear sakurai says they be less newcomers?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
then people just twisted it to something totally diffrent

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
then people just twisted it to something totally diffrent
Welcome to Smashboards: Get into the action! Where people misquote all the time and twist sentences for your entertainment while putting high values into "Stuff that probably doesn't matter or is only thought about for twenty minutes"!

(If the sarcasm didn't get it through, just get use to hearing a lot of stretching quotes)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I predict only 3 or 4 possible newcomers for the first trailer.

1. King K. Rool
2. Mega Man
3. Waluigi
4. Ridley/other Metroid character

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I gotta agree with your top two AIM
K. Rool is just too perfect/Wario-ish (as in funny, but bad; older, but recognizable and a fan favorite) to not be considered as the first revealed character.
Mega Man is just too iconic and too much of a fan favorite to also not be considered.

However, I think the 3rd best option would be either Shulk or some other lesser known character from a small franchise that can add a quick dose of originality.
can I see the link to wear sakurai says they be less newcomers?
We had 17 newcomers (18 if you count Toon Link) in Brawl.

There's no way we're getting that many, especially since 4 (5 if you count Young Link) characters are not going to get cut

I reach this conclusion because Sakurai stated he was pleased with Brawl's roster, and that every character was pretty well-received.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would like to see King K. Rool or Ridley though honestly I hope they don't give away to much I want to unlock the characters myself lol. At the same time though I'll **** a brick if the two of them are revealed hehe along with anyone else I'm stuck in an odd place where I want to know nothing but yet I want to know everything.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Why Ridley? Nintendo isn't known for giving its fanbase exactly what it wants. They're most likely going to do something completely unique and controversial like they always do. We might hate it at first, but I'm sure we'll come to love it, like every other Smash game. I'm going to trust Nintendo with this one, and I'll accept every new character they put in.

That being said, Mewtwo for E3!

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Why Ridley?

Why Ridley? He's an awesome character most people just assume that he's a mindless beast because they don't know the back story of Metriod. He far from it. Though I'm not going to get into that right now it's not the apporiprate thread. He's a much needed increase in the number of villains in the game; not to mention adding to the Metroid series roster as it only really has one character Samus. And of course he's also a personal favorite of mine lol so I'm just pulling for him heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom