• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winter Smashcon "$400 in Bonus Pots!!!"

Tesh

Smash Hero
So no megabus but is anyone from around this area going to Apex? I am wondering if I could get a carpool

but if I got maybe half my travel expenses paid for I would also go that way as an alternative please let me know guys! It would be cool to go as I have never been in this region ever before.
You'll be loaded after Apex man. Just don't blow through that $4000 dollars too fast and you should be able to come to this no problem.

Also you should pick up PSAS, it would be cool if someone good just broke that metagame so we can all be done with it.

Curlz

Smash Lord
M2K, team with me for PSAS?

Edit: Gnes for name search. You can team with me for PSAS too, if you'd like. :3

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Wow, I'm really late to the party looking at all these posts. Most of them really made me laugh. I regrettably won't be entering any tournament since I'll be busy running Brawl. I hope you guys can make it.

@PJ- You aren't ready for my bombs son.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
I just realized something.................................WHY IN THE WORLD IS THIS ON A SUNDAY!!!!??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
I believe it is the day before Martin Luther King Day most people should be off Monday. It is the only date we could get short notice with the venue as well.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Money Match my pika *****es. Esepcially you Curlz. I'll mm you for any amount and double it cause you're THAT free.
Only if you MM my Kratos in PSAS. ;)

Also, Lafayette is confirmed for this. My carpool will consist of Nickels, Fang, Facey, Tesh, and myself. Get hype!

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Btw what all is legal and stuff in PSAS? Like what is banned? Do we stage strike/ban/CP stages like in Smash?

Curlz

Smash Lord
Btw what all is legal and stuff in PSAS? Like what is banned? Do we stage strike/ban/CP stages like in Smash?
PSAS will be played as Doubles Only (should be in the OP) and the rules are in the OP. Players do get counter picks and stage bans. No attacks, characters, or stages are banned.

D

Deleted member

so for the most part this is a local tournament. as far as i know, its only some la players, + a few Alabama and Mississippi players. and by a few i mean a very small number. when you're having such a small tournament, having a fee of $25 to enter tournaments for only 1 game is very discouraging. i know you guys feel like having these venue fees means you can improve the community in some way, but having everyone discouraged from entering wont do anything for the community at all. after hosting and attending so many tournaments that dont charge venue fees unless the venue actually requires it, i just hope you soon realize the mistake in your logic. you guys arent pulling **** for turnouts. we just got back from a Houston tournament with no venue fee that pulled 48 entrants. it was asked for the community to supply setups and we must have had AT LEAST 15. there really is no excuse for a venue fee if the venue itself isnt charging for its use. all it does is make people not want to attend. and then it's $10, not even $5

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
so for the most part this is a local tournament. as far as i know, its only some la players, + a few Alabama and Mississippi players. and by a few i mean a very small number. when you're having such a small tournament, having a fee of $25 to enter tournaments for only 1 game is very discouraging. i know you guys feel like having these venue fees means you can improve the community in some way, but having everyone discouraged from entering wont do anything for the community at all. after hosting and attending so many tournaments that dont charge venue fees unless the venue actually requires it, i just hope you soon realize the mistake in your logic. you guys arent pulling **** for turnouts. we just got back from a Houston tournament with no venue fee that pulled 48 entrants. it was asked for the community to supply setups and we must have had AT LEAST 15. there really is no excuse for a venue fee if the venue itself isnt charging for its use. all it does is make people not want to attend. and then it's $10, not even $5
Thing is, they're trying to pull an out-of-state crowd for many other games.

That said, I agree with you. It's significantly easier to ask the community to help with set-ups than to buy a bunch yourself.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I couldn't get my tournament venue on the 26th, so I'm not going to be able to go to this event anymore.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Thing is, they're trying to pull an out-of-state crowd for many other games.

That said, I agree with you. It's significantly easier to ask the community to help with set-ups than to buy a bunch yourself.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I couldn't get my tournament venue on the 26th, so I'm not going to be able to go to this event anymore.
Thing is, we've asked countless times for the community to bring set-ups, but we've gone ignored. Only one or two people actually bring set-ups so if anything, that's not our fault. Also, we are cutting the venue fee in half if people bring full set-ups. So all people have to do is bring full set-ups.

This isn't just some local tournament. This is supposed to be one of the biggest tournaments this state has to offer. Who comes and who doesn't, we have only so much control over. It's just the same as APEX. It's a big tournament, it's pretty expensive itself to go to. That discourages people like me from going, but do you see me saying the people who run APEX are doing bad for the community? No. For big tournaments like this which are made to be a regional sized, it's expected to be a little pricey.

Ever since day one I've always been a proponent of this: If you don't like what's at the tournament, simply don't come, but don't come and try to kill the hype.

I thank you for your input.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thing is, we've asked countless times for the community to bring set-ups, but we've gone ignored. Only one or two people actually bring set-ups so if anything, that's not our fault. Also, we are cutting the venue fee in half if people bring full set-ups. So all people have to do is bring full set-ups.

This isn't just some local tournament. This is supposed to be one of the biggest tournament this state has to offer. Who comes and who doesn't we have only so much control over. It's just the same as APEX. It's a big tournament, it's pretty expensive itself to go to. That discourages people like me from going, but do you see me saying the people who run APEX are doing bad for the community? No. For big tournaments like this which are made to be a regional sized, it's expected to be a little pricey.

Ever since day one I've always been a proponent of this: If you don't like what's at the tournament, simply don't come, but don't come and try to kill the hype.

I thank you for your input.
I don't know what you've done to get people to want to bring set-ups, but, stressing the point that the tournament's success and everyone's enjoyment depends on how many people bring set-ups. Bringing TVs can be a bit of a hassle for people, but bringing a Wii/Brawl set-up is not, and explaining how important it is for people to bring them does a lot, in my experience.

It's worth noting that there's no reason to host a regional-worthy event if locals aren't interested in coming. It won't appeal to out-of-state players if the locals have little interest. You can't compare this to APEX, as APEX has a much larger, much more active local community, and it has set a brand that appeals to people from all over. There's no point in offering a tournament that can hold 50+ people if it doesn't seem likely that 50+ people will come. You have to appeal to your initial base before you can branch out.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just for the sake of touny hype, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
We definitely have the ability to have more than 50 people. More like 100-200 people (attendance of previous conventions). The real trick is getting them to come and hoping Murphy doesn't show is ugly face preventing people from coming.

edit: sorry about double post.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sure, but, you're hosting nine different tournaments. Saying you can get 100 people doesn't mean much if you only get 10-20 people for each event. (Not saying that it's been that way, but, it's something to consider.)

It's not about how many people you're capable of hosting an event for. It's about hosting events for people that want them. If people aren't even willing to bring their own Wii/Brawl stuff, then I would say they don't want an event in the first place. Either that, or you've spoiled them, and they need to get off their butts and put in work for the community they're a part of.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
^sent you a PM about that stuff. Not sure if you've read it yet. And yes, we've considered everything you said.

We've prepared as best we can for what we are expecting. It's now up to the players plan accordingly and show up.

Even if this convention doesn't go according to plan as far as attendance, that's perfectly fine with me. We are only human, not psychic, so we will adjust accordingly for the next convention.

D

Deleted member

Also, we are cutting the venue fee in half if people bring full set-ups.
you should put this in the OP so that people know that is available. idk how everyone was supposed to know until you said this.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
you should put this in the OP so that people know that is available. idk how everyone was supposed to know until you said this.
I noticed that too, I sent a text to Erick to put that on the OP. I think what happened was when we made the thread and the facebook event, some stuff was left out while we were copy/pasting stuff. It'll be up there. I'll make sure of it.

Edit: I found it. It was in the facebook group.

"***Bringing in a setup or Cos-playing will get you half off Venue. These can not be combined to get free Venue.***"

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's a $10 venue fee (without a setup), $10 for Brawl Singles, and $5 per person for Brawl Teams.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats hardly expensive...

Just to be clear, I don't get any discount for bringing a Wii without a TV and cosplaying as a Tesh?

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
PSAS will be played as Doubles Only (should be in the OP) and the rules are in the OP. Players do get counter picks and stage bans. No attacks, characters, or stages are banned.

Oh, well then in that case anyone wanna team with me? I play Ratchet if that means anything for anyone and I'm not terrible. Well I mean I can beat CPUs on the hardest level at least. :p

Griffard

Smash Ace
Really excited to get some good melee in with area people, and see how much better I've gotten from 2 years ago when last I played some of you. Just letting you all know right now, that Mario Kart Wii tournament is mine. My W-L online was ~3000-50 :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Thats hardly expensive...

Just to be clear, I don't get any discount for bringing a Wii without a TV and cosplaying as a Tesh?
Correct. This time around we are giving 50% off for full set-ups. You can also cosplay, but cosplaying as yourself won't cut it. If you cosplay, surprise me bro.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You've never heard of the anime "Shike Gama no Teshie" ?

Its really big around here, its about a black guy with crazy hair and lots of swag.

@Jnig why you no answer my PM!!??

Top Bottom