• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Both characters have about equal range in all attacks. MK, of course, has more priority in most situations and his moves tend to come out faster. Eggs are useful but not that useful, most likely only a few will hit, and spamming is not an option if he's approaching from the ground. Bair doesn't always work as an approach but has enough range to hassle MK from a distance. Shield can stop MK's killing moves more easily than most other shields. Don't try to gimp his recovery, it's not worth it and you'll be begging for a footstool.

So what's the ratio on this one? The replies are pretty diverse.

Also, so that we can get it out of the way, the Kirby boards agree that matchup is neutral.

- Yoshi has better range in the air and they are equally ranged on the ground (except for Kirby's f-smash), but Kirby counters by having better priority in his fair and bair and in most ground attacks.
- Yoshi stops Kirby's dair with a uair and his uair with a dair.
- Kirby will find it harder to perform grab combos on Yoshi because he can jump for super armor or simply nair to break the combo.
- Uair juggling works very well against Yoshi if his second jump is gone.
- Both characters are great at racking damage but may have trouble KOing, which is where Yoshi gains a slight advantage because Kirby is lighter.
- Neither character will be able to gimp the other.
- Kirby shouldn't have a problem getting past Yoshi's egg spam.

Basically, each character fails to absolutely capitalize on the other's weaknesses simply because they can't directly counter the other character's faults. For example, Yoshi has a terrible shield game but Kirby will rarely be able to pressure him into shielding anyway. Things like that make this a neutral matchup.

D

Deleted member

That seems about right. Always airdodge when recovering against kirby, his dair is beastly.

Hmmm, so me and shiri need to battle it out to see whos right on the MK matchup -.-

Also i think 5-5 on both mk and kirby matchup actually.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm going to have to say, Yoshi is disadvantaged to both Falco and Zelda.

Falco because of the lasers stopping you're egg game handily, the CG which puts Yoshi in a very bad place, and the general speed on most of what he has.

Zelda because she's just a god**** wall of priority.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Falco:
Yup, laser spam hurts Yoshi because he has such a slow roll. He'll have to immediately double jump to absorb a laser, then approach from there. He does at least have some range over Falco, and does better in the air, but Falco murders him on the ground and tends to approach in Yoshi's blind spot (right above and in front of him). Basically Yoshi can't use eggs unless he's screwing up Falco's recovery, which actually works pretty well.

Zelda:
Yoshi can usually get out an egg before she gets a Din's, but the lag on his egg throw might allow him to be punished for it anyway. She outprioritizes him and outranges him on both the ground and in the air. Not much I can say about this matchup, I need more experience against a good Zelda.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sockz, there's no "right" way of thinking about these matchups. I think people get too tied up in that.

However easy or difficult we might think these matchups are may be a point of debate, but I think the purpose of these matchup lists (not to lecture you) is that we can just outline what each character is capable of. Our experiences can differ our opinions of what each character can do, as well, since we don't have any hard frame data to backup any characters' abilities yet.

You strongly disagree with my post and it just so happens that I also disagree with most of what you just posted, haha. For example:

burntsocks said:
Cgs make this matchups a whole lot easier for yoshi, cuz once they are grabbed, they are in your control to move them where you wish.
In truth, I don't really agree with this...it's like taking a steering wheel out of a car and saying you can drive it wherever you want, when that isn't totally the case. When Yoshi grabs Meta Knight, you can only go in one direction, and you usually go very far in that one direction with few grabs just because Yoshi slides so much out of a dash grab. I see what you mean about down throw but in the end, it's not really a tool (the chain), I don't think, as much as it is a quick way to tack on a few percent. I still have to figure out how my Meta Knight buddy got out of this when I first tried it on him.

burntsocks said:
I would dissagree on the tilt comment, dtilt is good and ftilt is good after a bair, cuz MK is surprisingly easy to "combo".
You're right, I was making blanket statements. Down tilt is pretty useful at some points here. I disagree about forward tilt, though, especially in the situational advice you give. Two things come out to me immediately in that scenario with the back air to forward tilt: 1] first, you're in the air against Meta Knight and you're not airdodging, 2] you must be assuming to hit with back air to get this to work because it doesn't work on his shield and if Meta Knight isn't in his shield and isn't beating your back air, then you're applying more pressure than I thought, LOL. He is comboable, I can agree with you there.

burntsocks said:
Pretty much in the matchup tho you kinda spam pivot grabs for your life and hope u get him =P
This is kinda the essence of what I was saying earlier about right and wrong. I could sit here and tell you (and I kinda want to, in all honesty) that simply spamming one decent thing and hoping for it to hit isn't what wins matches or makes matchups better. I've also seen desperate Sheiks in Melee and mindless Meta Knights and Snakes do the same thing in Brawl and win, so joke's on me, haha. In truth, however, that's your opinion on how you can play the match and it's just an opinion. Similarly, I feel differently, and my opinion is none the wiser. All these things are just nuances in how we each play.

As long as we're accurately (or as close to accurate as we can get right now) judging each character's abilities, then we're doing this matchup thread justice. To give you an idea of accuracy, I still don't feel that Meta Knight is 100% chained by Yoshi's grab release. I found out about it sometime in early...April (back when everybody here was discovering how good grab release was)? I went the next night to my buddy's place at tried it on him when he had no idea of what I was wanting to do and jumped out every time. Now, I am probably entirely incorrect on this matter, especially since everyone else seems to agree that it works. This is similar to my feelings on the Wario chain and everyone else's feelings on that and how it doesn't work. Things like these are accuracy issues and they affect the validity of matchup thought, some less severely than others. But yeah, that's all I wanted to say.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar=Yoshi.(5:5) Egg roll can be either grabbed or fsmashed(when turning around b/c you lose priority) It isn't a problem. We just have to rely on spacing grabs. We have to play less vertically and more horizontally.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
IMO opinion, Wolf is a disadvantage. I am alittle overaverage with Yoshi, and I fight my friend who sucks at Brawl but is OK with Wolf, and he kills me every time unless we use items.

Hypnotoad

Smash Rookie
i'm sorry but can we revisit the D3 matchup? i don't see how it can be any worse then and even matchup for yoshi.

Sure D3 can chain grab but you can get out of it after 1 or 2 throws with you super quick jab (or maybe i just havent played a good enough D3 yet). D3 is fat, heavy, and slow. yoshi can run circles around him with his speed in the air and the quickness of his attacks. his bair hurts D3 a lot, at low percents you can chain 2 ftilts into an utilt and D3 is one of the best people in the game for a dair. he's so fat once you hit him with one kick you usually hit him with the rest too. Plus D3 is a great target for eggs.

The only thing you have to worry about in this matchup imo are D3's amazing bair and godly utilt but both you can see coming most of the time. you're off the stage? he's going to try and bair you. comming from above? he's going to try and utilt. so recover high and land as far away as you can from him.

Also, i dont think yoshi has as much trouble killing D3 as people say. D3 doesnt get much height or distance form his extra jumps and is a big target so you can jump out and fair or dair him or even just push him out further with a nair, making it harder for him to recover. and imo its fairly easy to hit D3 out of his up-b with yoshi's uair

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: King Dedede might be a little less than even for Yoshi.

Dedede's back air is good. His up tilt is also good, but sees little usage in this matchup. His CG isn't really negligible, but it's not the CG as much as it is his actual grab. King Dedede's shieldgrab has to be the best move in the game hands down and Yoshi's biggest tactical weakness is still the same; getting grabbed. Technically, King Dedede doesn't have to do anything except put up shield against Yoshi and shieldgrab aerials and then spotdodge to grab his ground approaches. Of course, nobody plays 100% like that, but the raw effectiveness of this strategy mixed in with Dedede's great roll and Waddle Dee Toss make it a not so even matchup, I think. Also, any King Dedede player should have a grasp of how his air game works enough to know how to up air and forward air while recovering to stop edgeguards. Speaking of edgeguarding, King Dedede has to be the Bowser of Brawl in terms of his amazing edgeguards. He's one of the few characters that can actually sit on or near the stage and edgeguard--I'm hard pressed to think of too many characters that can do that. His back air is okay, but it's too easy to DI and get some good vertical out of. His other options are so versatile and useful, it's really quite scary.

I can certainly agree with you on using down air, but it seems more useful for wearing down his amazing shield, rather than doing damage (Dedede will grab you after you use this move, regardless, so you might as well wreck his shield while you're at it).

I'm not saying King Dedede tramples all over Yoshi--in fact, I think Yoshi does pretty okay. It's just not as easy as it seems in that post, is all.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Olimar=Yoshi.(5:5) Egg roll can be either grabbed or fsmashed(when turning around b/c you lose priority) It isn't a problem. We just have to rely on spacing grabs. We have to play less vertically and more horizontally.
The whole "egg roll can be grabbed" thing seemed pretty obvious to me. I always thought that it would be used as a way to get rid of thrown Pikmin and shut down camping rather than an approach. Bair-approaching works just fine in this matchup, as Olimar doesn't have much in the way of stopping it when it comes from diagonally above him.

IMO opinion, Wolf is a disadvantage. I am alittle overaverage with Yoshi, and I fight my friend who sucks at Brawl but is OK with Wolf, and he kills me every time unless we use items.
In my opinion opinion? :)
Wolf is like Falco, only he doesn't do what Falco does very well. Spamming doesn't shut Yoshi down, as eggs can outreach the laser. Wolf doesn't really have enough range to defeat Yoshi extremely well in any area. That being said, I still think it's a 6-4 in Wolf's favor, as he has enough priority to put the hurt on Yoshi's ground game.

i'm sorry but can we revisit the D3 matchup? i don't see how it can be any worse then and even matchup for yoshi.

Sure D3 can chain grab but you can get out of it after 1 or 2 throws with you super quick jab (or maybe i just havent played a good enough D3 yet). D3 is fat, heavy, and slow. yoshi can run circles around him with his speed in the air and the quickness of his attacks. his bair hurts D3 a lot, at low percents you can chain 2 ftilts into an utilt and D3 is one of the best people in the game for a dair. he's so fat once you hit him with one kick you usually hit him with the rest too. Plus D3 is a great target for eggs.

The only thing you have to worry about in this matchup imo are D3's amazing bair and godly utilt but both you can see coming most of the time. you're off the stage? he's going to try and bair you. comming from above? he's going to try and utilt. so recover high and land as far away as you can from him.

Also, i dont think yoshi has as much trouble killing D3 as people say. D3 doesnt get much height or distance form his extra jumps and is a big target so you can jump out and fair or dair him or even just push him out further with a nair, making it harder for him to recover. and imo its fairly easy to hit D3 out of his up-b with yoshi's uair
The cg is inescapable for a while. Dedede mainly has both range and priority on Yoshi, and his attacks that come out fast (bair, f-tilt, nair, grabs, etc.) will be abused to compensate for the slowness of his other attacks. His recovery is able to be beaten, true, but that's not really a Yoshi-specific matchup point and is more just the point of the character. Plus, airdodges can be used a lot as he recovers because of his multiple jumps. As Yoshi has trouble killing anyway, the extra weight will make it harder to knock him off the stage.
What you say about the dair is true, although he will usually try to shield it. Dair is mostly meant for abuse of the shield in this matchup. It's Yoshi's one way of limiting Dedede's options.

Edit: Looks like I got beaten to the punch on this one... :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Shiri: My pivot grab spamming comment was sorta a joke -.- Just cuz i use them alot in this matchup lol. I only go in the air for an uair or spacing bairs on their shield and maybe landing behind them or retreating (if they start countering it i stop doin it, but it usually puts on alot of pressure).As for the grab release, i can never be positive, but it seems to work, and the times it doesnt i think im messing up. Can u buffer a dash from a grab release? Anyways, opinions are opinions, its true. Also i feel lectured

Dangr: Egg roll isnt an approach. Once olimar is off balance, it can kill pikmen and keep oli in the air. Yoshi attacks from anti-olimar angles with his bair. I say 6-4 yoshi.

Hypnotoad: I think 6-4 D3 personally. U cant break out if D3 does it right i think, and even if they dont, they can just ftilt for free damage after the throw, or bthrow for 16%. His inhale gets rid of ur second jump if uve already used it, making yoshi easy prey to bairs offstage. Yoshi combos D3 pretty easily, but D3 out kills and survives way longer than you. Also if he gets a lead, u cant edgeguard else u get D3cided, and since yoshi cant really kill him reliably besides that. D3s dair is pretty beastly too (i think it beats yoshis uair).
Again, dair ***** D3.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You should be able to buffer dashes, yes.

lecturelecturelecture

D

Deleted member

Lolol. We need a few more MK opinions before we move on imo. Well it might be better than just 3 =)

Mmac

Smash Lord
Opinion on MetaKnights. I think it's a rather even fight, though as hard as it maybe, I haven't really played many MetaKnights. Although most MK's I've face tend to stay in the air, I'm going to say that Yoshi's Ground game beats MK, and his Air to Ground (Depending on what approach) also beats him also. When on the Ground, Yoshi can Pivot Grab MK out of his Neutral B, Side B, and even his Down B. In the air, where MK Players tend to stick, is where he starts to excel. MK's Fair and Bair out ranges and priorities over even Yoshi's Bair. MK's Specials can easily intercept Yoshi if he's in the air, and his UpB is just nasty. Though, Yoshi can sneak in some Nairs and Bairs easially if the MK isn't paying attention. One of the biggest problem is if MK gets him over the edge, He can easily intercept him if Yoshi fails to AirDodge successfully on his 2nd jump and doesn't make it back. Though Yoshi does have the Chaingrab which helps out alot. With it, Yoshi can rack up damage to the edge and just pelt him with eggs, or if he takes the high route, attempt to follow up with some Uair's. Yoshi can also Release Grab Dash+Usmash him for an easy kill at high %'s.

Olimar is easily to Yoshi's Advantage. Pikmin Toss is pointless as Yoshi can easily kill them with a Bair or a Eggroll. Yoshi's Airgame completely Destroys Olimar's airgame (Except straight up), and Yoshi can actually outgrab Olimar with a well time running grab. The only problem is that Olimar still has a good ground game, and his camping strategy is sometimes nasty, though you can easily force him into the offencive by throwing Eggs. I say about a 6:4 or 7:3 for Yoshi

I say Yoshi vs. Dedede is about slightly in Dedede's advantage. If he didn't have that Bair or Chaingrab, then this fight would have been easily in Yoshi's favour. The only thing I will add that Dedede punishes harshly if you do a bad move or have a poor defencive game (Like me ;_; )

Thats about all I got to say for now It's late here

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't say egg roll is an approach. anyways, Olimar won't be trying to force the approach by yoshi anyways. It's more like an offensive pikmin throw, b/c we're trying to make you use moves such as egg roll, which can be punished on any side of the stage with a grab. That was my point. That's what Olimars do-they punish pikmin killing with his long ranged grabs and smashes. Bair is good to use to kill pikmin and to approach, but it loses it's power as you use it to kill pikmin more and more and more. Egg roll is grabbed easily too. You need more options to kill the pikmin and yoshi just doesn't have very many compared to the other characters. Upair is your main killing move and dair is just too punishable. Nair can do the trick sometimes, but doesn't always. Olimar has the whistle for all of your upair killing anyways. It's rather easy to time.

Olimar's ground game>yoshi's ground game by far. Yoshi's grab sucks in comparison to Olimar's. Olimar's range and power on his smashes kill yoshi's inside game. Mmac, I'm not sure what you're saying about Yoshi's grab being better, but I digress.

Air game-yoshi has the superior air game, but Olimar is ground based character. He doesn't need to be in the air at all. He can whistle back to the ground to keep from getting juggled if he has to. Olimar has several matchups that have far superior air game, but that doesn't stop Olimar's aerial defense and his ground game from screwin them up. Take for example zelda and TL. Olimar has the large advantage on both of them, but they both outprioritize Olimar in the air. lightning kicks>Olimar's pikmin, and the sword just cleanly cuts through them. It's no problem, trust me.

I'm wondering if y'all know what the current Olimar metagame looks like against yoshi. It's hard for beginners, but Mr. X(currently the best Olimar main) has no trouble at all with yoshis.

D

Deleted member

Funny you mention that cuz i play mr x online (online sucks)=) Im pretty sure he bases his opinion on yoshi off of me. I give him a close run for his money, but anyways he seems to be a better player than me in general. I know alot of my olimar stuff from playing him (online i know, but its better than nuthin). Anyways, pikmen toss is quite annoying, but yoshi is quite capable of getting past pikmen spam. Bairs get weaker, but once yoshi can get inside(which he can with bairs), olimar will be hard pressed to get away. Egg roll keeps the pressure going, eggs can help once olimar is in the air, and once olimar is offstage, yoshi can ledgehog. Its not easy, but its yoshis advantage.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I didn't say egg roll is an approach. anyways, Olimar won't be trying to force the approach by yoshi anyways. It's more like an offensive pikmin throw, b/c we're trying to make you use moves such as egg roll, which can be punished on any side of the stage with a grab. That was my point. That's what Olimars do-they punish pikmin killing with his long ranged grabs and smashes.
Good point, but Yoshi's egg roll doesn't have much ending lag so it's not likely that he'll end up in a place where Olimar can f-smash anyway. Plus he could just roll away... it's not like Olimar's run is as fast as Yoshi's f-smash anyway, and if Oli is camping on the edge then he'll have to run all the way up to him. Yoshi will be able to get out of the egg roll in time to react most of the time.

Bair is good to use to kill pikmin and to approach, but it loses it's power as you use it to kill pikmin more and more and more. Egg roll is grabbed easily too. You need more options to kill the pikmin and yoshi just doesn't have very many compared to the other characters.
Of course bair loses power, but isn't that true of all moves? Egg roll isn't grabbed easily if it doesn't go close to Olimar. You're thinking about it the wrong way... it's a defensive move in this matchup, not an offensive move. Yoshi's next option besides those two moves is egg toss. It travels at a similar trajectory to Pikmin and can usually kill them the first few times. After that, it will become stale, allowing Yoshi to use his other newly refreshed moves.
These three options do Yoshi just fine in this matchup, so it's not that big of a deal.

Upair is your main killing move and dair is just too punishable. Nair can do the trick sometimes, but doesn't always. Olimar has the whistle for all of your upair killing anyways. It's rather easy to time.
Actually, a bair approach followed by an ftilt leads directly into uair. Dair is, I'm not going to lie, a terrible move in this matchup. To begin with, Olimar is a small target so not all the kicks will hit. In addition, Yoshi and most other characters generally won't approach from above, so dair will be almost never used.
Yoshi will have trouble KOing some characters, but Olimar is light enough to sort of cancel that out. I won't be a noob here and say that Olimar can get easily gimped (because he can't) but uair is generally used when the opponent is recovering. Yoshi is good at getting opponents offstage, but not at killing them. Fortunately, getting Olimar offstage is much closer to killing him than it is most characters.

Olimar's ground game>yoshi's ground game by far. Yoshi's grab sucks in comparison to Olimar's. Olimar's range and power on his smashes kill yoshi's inside game. Mmac, I'm not sure what you're saying about Yoshi's grab being better, but I digress.
Yoshi's ground game is average, therefore you won't see many Yoshis using it unless they're landing some quick tilts or a smash. Most will stick with his air game.
Yoshi's grab sucks in comparison to most characters. It's laggy and doesn't have that great of reach to compensate. Pivot grabs are better but Yoshi won't be getting any chances to pull them off in the Olimar matchup. However, this isn't really relevant because most Yoshis will limit use of the ground game anyway.

Air game-yoshi has the superior air game, but Olimar is ground based character.
Ground game - Olimar has the superior ground game, but Yoshi is an air based character. :)
When Yoshi's approaching from the air, I'm pretty sure Yoshi's air game > Olimar's ground game.

He can whistle back to the ground to keep from getting juggled if he has to.
I understand. But Yoshi isn't really a "juggling" character anyway... his second jump is too weird to be able to pull that off well. Most of the time his aerials switch to a ground move, then to another aerial move, then back to the ground. The exception to this is bair-to-bair chains, which are multi-hit so Oli can't whistle them.

I'm wondering if y'all know what the current Olimar metagame looks like against yoshi. It's hard for beginners, but Mr. X(currently the best Olimar main) has no trouble at all with yoshis.
That might have a lot to do with player skill, depending on which Yoshis he plays. But I don't really want to John about that or Wi-Fi or whatever.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
^I understand what you're saying kiwikomix, and it's all true, but I guess it depends on how you look at the facts. I see a better ground game>better air game throughout the match, but you see it the other way around. I guess I can see it in Yoshi's advantage, and I may be a bit bias, but I'm not here to argue in the yoshi threads cuz y'all would tear me up. ^_^. . . >_> I'd just like to end this saying that it's not near 7:3 yoshi. If the olimar is patient and is used to yoshi's unique play style, he'll be much better off. It's your thread though, so do what you like.

D

Deleted member

Olimar has the tools he needs to effectively deal with yoshi, i just think that yoshi deals with olimar better than olimar deals with him =/ If that makes sense. So id say close to even, probably 6-4 or 5.5-4.5 yoshi xD

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Of course. I never thought it would be 7:3, that seems pretty ridiculous. 6:4 sounds more reasonable. I've never been a fan of the .5s because it just gets trivial at that point. And I've done my best to eliminate bias, since I'm not even a Yoshi main, but I can see what you were saying at some points too.

Olimar has the tools he needs to effectively deal with yoshi, i just think that yoshi deals with olimar better than olimar deals with him =/
Agreed.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi's grab sucks in comparison to Olimar's. Olimar's range and power on his smashes kill yoshi's inside game. Mmac, I'm not sure what you're saying about Yoshi's grab being better, but I digress.
I never said Yoshi's Grab was better, I said a well timed Grab can actually beat his grab to the punch if the spacing is right. If you can do it just right, then Yoshi's tongue will reach Olimar before his Pikmin can grab you due to the forward momentum, though if your off, then it will leave you open, or will get you grabbed.

Though maybe I am alittle hard on Olimar. All the ones I've played used the same basic strategy which I can easily get around.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I think Zelda is a counter because her dins fire is better than eggs she can space and she is a pretty good aerial counter. I think its 6:4 i favor of Zelda. T_T

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I think Zelda is a counter because her dins fire is better than eggs she can space and she is a pretty good aerial counter. I think its 6:4 i favor of Zelda. T_T
I would have actually thought it was 7:3 Zelda's favor. Her aerial game, when spaced right, trumps Yoshi's in almost every way. Also, her ground game outprioritizes and has equivalent range to Yoshi's. I'll do a more detailed analysis later.

Look at all these negative matchups. How about one Yoshi wins... Pokemon Trainer?
Squirtle: This little guy is absolutely useless in this matchup. The things he does best are damage racking and having fast moves. His aerial game has good priority and he can WOP extremely well. Unfortunately, he gets outranged by Yoshi's bair and nair, both of which break his combos. His recovery is pretty awful, so abuse it with some eggspam or dairs and it's unlikely he'll be back. Make sure you don't recover horizontally or he'll try to hit you with water gun.
Charizard: This one is a bit tougher. Charizard, as a big target, is susceptible to dair and eggs. His moves can have a lot of range and Yoshi will take a beating from them, but they usually will have enough windup or cooldown lag to be punished for missing. Yoshi will have some trouble KOing here, but once Charizard is off the stage it's pretty easy. Throw a few eggs if he's recovering horizontally and use a utilt to screw up his glide. Fairly straightforward, but look out for rock-smashes and fire, which will both f*** Yoshi up pretty badly in their own ways. Pokemon Trainer's best bet is to use this guy as much as possible.
Ivysaur: Eggs. She's far too slow in the air and on the ground to deal effectively with the egg spam. Be very careful when going in for a dair, as you'll eat a Bullet Seed to the face. In fact, try not to approach from the air at all, as utilt has great range and usmash is too good. Approaching in general is going to be tough, because Ivysaur has enough range in her f-smash to stop Yoshi's bair. This isn't a problem, though... just force her to approach you. Make sure you stay off the ground when she's grounded, because her grab range is better than Yoshi's ground attacks and her grabs can often lead to bullet seed. Since Yoshi excels at getting his opponents off the stage, Ivysaur's terrible recovery will do her in. Once again, eggs will do the trick for getting rid of her second jump. Grabbing the edge does a lot more here than it does for Olimar, because Ivy falls quickly. Just make sure you don't get razor leafed on the edge.

Thoughts? I know it's a wall of text, I'm sorry.

D

Deleted member

Hold up on PT, can we do zelda next, cuz i disagree. Dins fire cant be spammed, just SH nair and she has to approach, just be patient. Zelda cant approach, at all. Im too tired to continue, ill do more another day, but can we do zelda than PT.
Edit: Also the general consensus on D3 is 6-4, from yoshis and some D3s ive talked to(ones that have yoshi exp), so can u change that please.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Hold up on PT, can we do zelda next, cuz i disagree. Dins fire cant be spammed, just SH nair and she has to approach, just be patient. Zelda cant approach, at all. Im too tired to continue, ill do more another day, but can we do zelda than PT.
Edit: Also the general consensus on D3 is 6-4, from yoshis and some D3s ive talked to(ones that have yoshi exp), so can u change that please.
Really, some Dedede mains agreed? I assumed it might have been a bit of main bias to put it that close, but I guess I'll change it.

It's funny how almost no other matchup threads know what the matchup for Yoshi is like, because they're all doing stuff like Snake or G-Dub or Falco. Hoorah.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Hmmm... Well I can't say anything much about Zelda, due to I haven't played any yet :S.

For Pokemon Trainer and his Pokemon:

Squirtle is practically helpless against Yoshi. You also forgot that Squirtle is one of his Chaingrabables, which make an already easy fight, easier with constant pushing him to the edge and a free release grab Usmash. This fight is about 7:3 for Yoshi.

Ivysaur is a bit more trouble, but I found that the key is to force her (Ivysaur is a Girl?) into the offencive, or in the air. If Ivysaur plays too much of a defencive game, then you might be in trouble, but if she plays aggressively or in the air, then Yoshi will have the upper hand. Also it should be pretty easy to intercept when you get Ivysaur over the edge. I say it's about Even or 6:4 Yoshi.

Charizard Is the hardest of the 3... for me at least. He's Big, and Slow, But he hit's hard! The only real problem is what I see is that he has a deadly Edgeguarding Game with the Fair, Rock's, and Flamethrower. With all that said, if you can shield/dodge effectively and pick your moments right, then It should go Yoshi's way. I say about 6:4 Charizard.

Overall Fighting a Pokemon Trainer is about 6:4 Yoshi

About the other Undecided #'ed Characters. Falco I say is 7:3. Falco clearly has the upperhand, but Yoshi still has some ways to get around and it's not totally helpless for him. Samus I believe is about 7:3. Being that Yoshi is an Air character, Samus has some pretty nasty airs herself to match that. Snake I can't really say due to my lack of experience with him. He can pivotgrab him out of the Usmash Slide, and is an easy target to spike when he does the UpB. I gotta fight more before I say, but for now I'm going with 6:4

Mmac

Smash Lord
I just discovered that Charizard can actually be Chaingrabbed! (Though he's one of the harder ones). Not sure how much of an effect it will do. I gotta do this in a real match to see if it has a major effect

SOVAman

Smash Hero
While you can choose to be patient, Zelda is still not out of options. Zelda can use her momentum with the Din's Fire to get closer and punish for the dodge, shield, N-air, etc. Zelda ability to move with the Din's Fire gives her the opening she needs. Her U-smash is also a good anti-air. So like I said before, Zelda should be a 6:4 match-up, not a 7:3.

I agree that D3 is a 6:4.

Mmac said:
About the other Undecided #'ed Characters. Falco I say is 7:3. Falco clearly has the upperhand, but Yoshi still has some ways to get around and it's not totally helpless for him
I agree that Falco has the upper hand but it should be a 6:4 because of the CG and Yoshi has a advantage in the air.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I agree that Falco has the upper hand but it should be a 6:4 because of the CG and Yoshi has a advantage in the air.
I actually disagree. Unlike the other characters, Falco can actually break out of Yoshi's CG if he times it right and knows that he can. And while Yoshi's Airs are greater than Falco's Airs, His Ground Game and Specials can be really nasty and hard to match. I still say a 7:3

Shiri

Smash Chump
Look at all these negative matchups. How about one Yoshi wins... Pokemon Trainer?
Squirtle: This little guy is absolutely useless in this matchup. The things he does best are damage racking and having fast moves. His aerial game has good priority and he can WOP extremely well. Unfortunately, he gets outranged by Yoshi's bair and nair, both of which break his combos. His recovery is pretty awful, so abuse it with some eggspam or dairs and it's unlikely he'll be back. Make sure you don't recover horizontally or he'll try to hit you with water gun.
Charizard: This one is a bit tougher. Charizard, as a big target, is susceptible to dair and eggs. His moves can have a lot of range and Yoshi will take a beating from them, but they usually will have enough windup or cooldown lag to be punished for missing. Yoshi will have some trouble KOing here, but once Charizard is off the stage it's pretty easy. Throw a few eggs if he's recovering horizontally and use a utilt to screw up his glide. Fairly straightforward, but look out for rock-smashes and fire, which will both f*** Yoshi up pretty badly in their own ways. Pokemon Trainer's best bet is to use this guy as much as possible.
Ivysaur: Eggs. She's far too slow in the air and on the ground to deal effectively with the egg spam. Be very careful when going in for a dair, as you'll eat a Bullet Seed to the face. In fact, try not to approach from the air at all, as utilt has great range and usmash is too good. Approaching in general is going to be tough, because Ivysaur has enough range in her f-smash to stop Yoshi's bair. This isn't a problem, though... just force her to approach you. Make sure you stay off the ground when she's grounded, because her grab range is better than Yoshi's ground attacks and her grabs can often lead to bullet seed. Since Yoshi excels at getting his opponents off the stage, Ivysaur's terrible recovery will do her in. Once again, eggs will do the trick for getting rid of her second jump. Grabbing the edge does a lot more here than it does for Olimar, because Ivy falls quickly. Just make sure you don't get razor leafed on the edge.
:yoshi: P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I actually disagree. Unlike the other characters, Falco can actually break out of Yoshi's CG if he times it right and knows that he can. And while Yoshi's Airs are greater than Falco's Airs, His Ground Game and Specials can be really nasty and hard to match. I still say a 7:3
It is very very hard to break out during a match. I have played many GOOD falcos who know how to get out and they can not get out. There franticly trying to struggle out of the grab so they are not prepared to escape. I still say its a 6:4 only because of the CG and Yoshi's advantage in the aerial game also if you get a combo goin they are not getting out unlike hard to combo characters like Zelda.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Now that I think harder about the Falco matchup, lasers are pretty much the biggest advantage he has. Fortunately, Yoshi's super armor makes them not screw up his recovery as badly as they do some other characters. And, as usual, Yoshi is outperformed on the ground but I'm pretty sure his air game > Falco's air game and = Falco's ground game.
The only problem I can see is that Falco thrives on people that approach from the side and are therefore shine bait. That means Yoshi's in trouble, since he can't camp against Falco and he can't approach with bairs either. That means approaching with dairs or (gasp!) the boing-hup, both of which are decent but not fantastic approaches. I'm going to stick with 7:3 here, just because Falco shuts Yoshi down very efficiently.

D

Deleted member

Yes some D3 mains agreed. I agree with 7-3 on falco, yoshi has a very very hard time getting past his spam, cgs suck, his comboing moves are great. As said, lasers are the main problem, because not only are they hard to get past, you are often also set up to be hit by another one of his moves, or cged (usually the latter =/). Yoshi can damage falco heavily with his superior air game (falco doesnt like uairs as good as yoshi's), and cgs, but getting in position to do this damage is tricky. 7-3 =(

D3 is definately not near the same level as falco.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Yes some D3 mains agreed. I agree with 7-3 on falco, yoshi has a very very hard time getting past his spam, cgs suck, his comboing moves are great. As said, lasers are the main problem, because not only are they hard to get past, you are often also set up to be hit by another one of his moves, or cged (usually the latter =/). Yoshi can damage falco heavily with his superior air game (falco doesnt like uairs as good as yoshi's), and cgs, but getting in position to do this damage is tricky. 7-3 =(

D3 is definately not near the same level as falco.
you explained it good so you swayed my opinion and now I agree that it is a 7:3 falco

Okay now more on MK I think it is a 6:4 because MK is CG-able and easy to KO with Yoshi's fast a strong ground and aerial game. Also I think Yoshi out ranges MK but MK is still very fast. Thats why MK is a 6:4 (in favor of MK).

Mmac

Smash Lord
I really say that the Battle between MK and Yoshi is about even. Really it's about 5.5:4.5 more than anything. In the Air they're pretty even (Though it kinda slopes for MK alittle bit), and on the ground they're also quite even. I think the only major difference is that MK can Edgeguard better, while Yoshi has a Projectile and can Chaingrab him.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I really say that the Battle between MK and Yoshi is about even. Really it's about 5.5:4.5 more than anything. In the Air they're pretty even (Though it kinda slopes for MK alittle bit), and on the ground they're also quite even. I think the only major difference is that MK can Edgeguard better, while Yoshi has a Projectile and can Chaingrab him.
I know what your saying by 5.5:4.5 but it is pretty much a 6:4 for MK.

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
I think MK is a disadvantage to Yoshi. MK just has better air games than Yoshi and as you also said his edge guards are better. Sure Yoshi can spam his eggs sometimes, but I think MK is still above us.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I think MK is a disadvantage to Yoshi. MK just has better air games than Yoshi and as you also said his edge guards are better. Sure Yoshi can spam his eggs sometimes, but I think MK is still above us.
I agree but Yoshi has a better edge game against MK because Yoshi can use his strong armored 2nd jump. Also eggs can be used a lot including the edge guard.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Uair kills MK at like high 80s low 90s. So from my experience yoshi kills MK rather easily if you can wait out an airdodge. That tornado does seem to keep yoshi in the longest out of the characters I use, but I have noticed you can start a 2nd jump in there and the "super armor" can allow you to counter with a Nair (sometimes). Also Bair seems to cancel out his glide attack (just one of the tail swipes) then the others hit him, I do really like the MK matchup though since around here everyone uses (or at least used to before they all went snake) so I've gotten alotta practice with him *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom