• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I agree with Lucario being 7:3. Lucario has a chain grab, a deadly dair, and a better air game with Yoshi.

I have opinions on other characters like Zelda and PT, but that was about 5 pages ago, lol.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Uhh alot of this stuff is iffy. Jiggs is 6-4 yoshi imo, cuz jiggs may not be able to beat your bair directly, but if jiggs can get you while u are facing foward, you are in for some pain. Yoshi's shield can block dair to rest which is nice tho, and u outkill, and low% uairs are great.
Well, that's a problem easily remedied, right? Yoshi usually approaches and such with bair, so it's only natural that he would be facing the other way. As for when Jiggz is approaching, f-tilts can usually stop her assaults. And, like you say, Jiggz' only true rest combo is null against Yoshi. I just fought a good Jiggz today, and I don't see much about her that poses a threat.

Dk beats yoshi. At first i thought it was yoshis advantage, but then i realized how DK can just stay on the ground and he beats yoshi pretty decently. Walk to Ftilt>yoshi lol. If they approach from the air, they have troubles with egg spam and pivot grabs, but DK can just walk, shield, ftilt. Also tech those stage spikes =P Dk outpriotizes and outranges you everywhere, so you cant really approach well. He also outkills you (donkey pawnch!).
I'm pretty sure at least one of Yoshi's options (grab, ftilt, bair, something) outranges DK's ftilt. You're right in that DK will stay grounded for most of this match, but that means he's in a whole lot of trouble once Yoshi lands a hit, since he'll end up in the air with few options for retaliation, given that uair beats dair, dair beats uair, and bair beats fair (all in either range, or windup time, or both) and his nair isn't as ranged as Yoshi's attacks. The bair is a great move but DK will rarely end up in a position to use it. Bottom line: he gets comboed very easily.

As for the Lucario part...
As I've stated earlier, I know little about that blue thing. I don't think I'm the right person to analyze that particular matchup.

I have opinions on other characters like Zelda and PT, but that was about 5 pages ago, lol.
By all means share them. It hasn't stopped the Dedede, Snake and MK matchups from being discussed again.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If I may, I won't be long.

While I don't really agree about the DK matchup with Sockz, I will agree on one point say that after a few months of fighting Mr. Nobody, the best DK in my area, Yoshi has approximately nothing that can beat forward tilt. Only way to "beat" it is to not get hit and then retaliate.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I don't know if that really makes or breaks the matchup, though. I mean, Yoshi can't get through Ivysaur's bair fence but it doesn't keep him from destroying her. (Note: I'm not saying Yoshi destroys DK.)
Donkey Paunch kills, but he probably won't get a chance to charge it up until AFTER he's killed Yoshi, because Yoshi's egg-spam keeps him from doing so. Granted, it's still usable, but it will be hard to make it so.
Really, I don't see how one good attack keeps every other laggy stuffs from really accomplishing anything in DK's favor.

bigman40

Smash Master
I'd just say the matchup is either 5:5, or 6:4 DK since he can kill and outrange Yoshi. Both of them has to work fairly hard to keep the fights from flying to one side.

I got something. How about we do Peach? I'd like to hear how this matchup goes.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL no you don't.

She still whoops the **** out of Yoshi, that mess is embarassing, LOL!

<3 that pretty lady.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I actually disagree. I actually think the Peach/Yoshi fight is about even. I have only played one Peach main in my entire life, but ****! He was good! When in the air, which she is going to spend most of her time on, Can easily beat Yoshi from the sides with her butt and the sparkling crown of death. She is most venerable from underneath or above, but if she's carrying a Turnip, then she can do that stupid drop thing and combo you. Speaking of, I don't think the Turnip isn't really useful as people say it is as a projectile. It's slow and it doesn't travel really far, and is surprising easy to catch. It's easily outdone by Yoshi's Eggs. However if she pulls out a Zombie Turnip, Bob-omb, or Beam Sword, then you are in huge trouble. That Beam Sword still gives me nightmares ;_;

Anyways, Her ground game is rather limited (This even includes her Float on the ground trick) as they can be all be countered with a pivot grab. Dash = Countered. Float to Fair/Bair = Countered. SideB = Countered. Even a 45 degree approach from the air can be countered with Pivots. Although her ground game is somewhat lacking, she can easily hold her own against air opponents with her Ftilt and Utilt. You also gotta remember that she has Toad, which is a great counter when used well. Her Edgeguarding game may seem deadly, but if you're good at airdodging, then it shouldn't be a problem due to the slow movingness of her float. Edgeguarding Peach however is just as a pain. From what I've seen, most good Peach players use their float to recover and the UpB only as an emergency. You can counter her with an Egg to cancel out the Float (If I can remember. Can Peach Airdodge without Cancelling the Float?), Which should make her easier to spike, but the Best way is to Dair her from straight above where she's the most venerable, and follow up with a Footstool depending if it drag's her.

Again I say it's about even

Edit: Also I really, really think Yoshi vs. MetaKnight is even. He deals with him so well compared to most characters. Most higher tier character have serious problems on how to deal with MetaKnight, but not so much for Yoshi. Even Marth has it harder

Chaco

Never Logs In
I agree with MMac on both, but I believe that MK is tilted in Yoshi's favor some. But still a 5:5 match-up.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I will admit something here: Peach is the one character I have never played against in Brawl T_T

That being said, can you give me a ratio on the matchup?

Also, heading up the top of the list, let's look at our good buddy Boozer.
First of all, Yoshi can spam eggs all day against this guy. Being the biggest character in the game doesn't exactly help him when it comes to projectile spams. I believe f-tilt doesn't have enough range to stop eggs like DK's can. Because of this, Bowser will have to approach Yoshi most of the time. A bair or pivot grab will outrange and outprioritize anything Bowser can throw at you except fsmash, and if he's really stupid enough to use that, then do what you have to do to show him it wasn't a good idea. Bowser is also one of the easiest characters to chaingrab, so you shouldn't have a hard time getting him in a grab.
One thing to watch out for is a Whirling Fortress, because it comes out quickly and will hit Yoshi if Bowser's approaching. Fortunately, at lower percentages it doesn't have much knockback, and that means Bowser, in mid-attack, is a prime target for a dair (in which almost every hit will connect). The attack is much more useful, however, if Yoshi is in mid-combo... it's about as useful of a combo breaker as Yoshi's DJ-nair is.
If you should ever have to approach Bowser (and sometimes you will), avoid going for a bair. If you do, you'll end up in his fire breath. Fortunately, Bowser's grabrange is not as adept as Dedede's or DK's, so going for a dair is a relatively safe option. You could always try approaching with a running grab if he's not expecting it, which leads into more cg's.
The biggest thing Bowser has on Yoshi is that he just won't die. His recovery is only average but his weight is extreme, and it's not like Yoshi is great at killing in the first place. Also, be careful when you're facing him in the air, as his fair will beat your nair. Otherwise, this could be Yoshi's easiest matchup.
I actually vote we put this one as his first 8:2.

Thoughts?

bigman40

Smash Master
Agreed with that one. You nailed all the points. Oh, and it's easier to gimp him since he doesn't have a hitbox on top during his upB

Mmac

Smash Lord
I agree too, but I haven't fought many good Bowser's yet, So I don't know how much of an advantage he really has

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Okay, here's some input I have on random characters:

Zelda: I hate fighting Zelda. You absolutely cannot approach her from above, up air can kill at around 90% if you're a good distance above the stage and up smash seems to go through everything. Din's Fire, while easily dodged, is still a pain and her reflector makes it hard to use eggs effectively. Her aerials, while they don't combo into each other like Yoshi's does, are still dangerous and I'm always trying to maneuver while recovering so I don't get spiked or heeled. Thing is, I know that if you get spiked, you can recover if you happen to have your double jump still (happened to me on Yoshi's Island Brawl twice in an online match). Usually killing them upwards seems to work best for me, unless you can get an fsmash in, but with Zelda's prioritastic fsmash it's kinda hard to do. 7:3 Zelda

Kirby: With Kirby, eggs are really useful. They outrange most if not all of what Kirby has, and they're a better projectile than Final Cutter. I find that usmash is useful against Kirby's who like to approach from the air (which they probably will), and bair is also useful against him as well. Kirbycides are definitely something to watch out for, or pseudo Kirbycides (when they inhale you, fall off the stage but spit you out farther than you can recover), but it can be pretty easy to tell when they're attempting it. Oh, and Kirby's dair is too good, so watch out for him when he's trying to edgeguard you. 5:5

Ganondorf: Eggs, pivot grab, and chain grab all help make this match pretty easy. He's powerful yes, but Yoshi could camp him, chain grab him, and stop some of his favorite approaches. Repeated dair is pretty dangerous, but nothing an egg or a well placed bair can stop. 7:3 Yoshi

Peach: I only played one real Peach main, but from what I can tell the two seem pretty evenly matched. Turnips are annoying, but manageable, unless she gets the death turnip or an item (I forget if that's possible even with items off, but I'm guessing it is). She is very dangerous when she is above you, but I think an up smash can knock her off rhythm if used correctly. Thing is, she's very light and easy to kill, so that works out. Up smash (or was it up tilt) works as a killing move, as does fair and sometimes fsmash, but she's not the killer she was in Melee. I'd say 5:5 or 6:4 Yoshi

More to come another time probably.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I dunno, the dsmash is pretty useful but Boozer really won't get that many chances to use it. I mean, jab, dtilt and ftilt all come out faster, and the last one outranges it. One other thing to note: DON'T use downB from the air. Ever. You'll eat a usmash every time.
Not that you should be doing that often anyway. But still, it's something to keep in mind.

D

Deleted member

Just something to know on the rob matchup. Especially against shield grab happy robs, this is important (im sure its good for other matchups too, maybe d3?).

Full hop double bair, or full hop single bair, is very useful. For example, against rob, u can use a full hop double bair, land behind rob, and if they dsmash OOS, u can shield it, then grab or dsmash. Its very very useful, and it helped me today when playin against a rob who normally beats me fairly badly, and now the games are pretty close.

Bowser: Im not sure by how much yoshi has an advantage. I dont think much tho, the fortress is still too good even with its nerfs, fire breath+recovering yoshi=dead yoshi, and his ground game is better than yours. However, hes easy to combo, and egg camping works well.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
How does Yoshi do against the most awesome but worst character in the game, Douglas Jay Falcon?

Oh, and the Bowser-Yoshi matchup seems pretty even to me. 5:5, maybe leaning on Yoshi. And Yoshi's easiest matchup is Ganon or Samus. IMO.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, it's time. We need to talk about the IC's match-up to Yoshi. I have no insight here, so anyone got a ratio. Discuss.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Just a few suggestions, you should post the PT's Pokemon separate as a sub category. Like

Pokemon Trainer - 6:4
- Squirtle - 7:3
- Ivysaur - 5:5
- Charizard - 5:5 (I think that the chaingrab gave the boost to make it even. Plus even the PT's agreed)

Also Wario should be an advantage to Yoshi, and I think we have enough agreement that Yoshi is Even to MetaKnight.

*Ahem* anyways:

R.O.B. - 6:4 Disadvantage

Gah! ROB is such an annoying character to deal with. Where do I start? First of all, his Nair and Bair are a pain to deal with! While it has alot of Start-up Lag in his Nair, It cover's it's entire body and just plain hard to counter, even with Yoshi's Bair. Bair is also pretty bad, but it only has hitboxes at the back, so it should be quite easier to delt with. The other Air's are easy to avoid except for maybe his Fair. Yoshi's best bet is to come from underneath with an Uair. His Egg's also deal with him quite nicely.

His Ground game's is not that bad, but **** his Dsmash is ANNOYING! He has some pretty mean Jab's too. Not much to say, His Fsmash is slow, and his Usmash is hard to hit with. The other big thing is his Projectiles, While an Uncharged Gyro is easy to see coming and easily Blocked/Dodged, his Laser is bothersome, but usually not Life Threating. Yoshi's Egg's are pretty good at scaring those who want to charge the Gyro, but he can also reflect the Egg's with the Side B also. Finally, His Recovery, while one of the best, is actually really easy to intercept because you can Airdodge out of it, making him really vernable. Conclusion, Fight ROB is like Fighting Lucario, A really hard to approach character. Unlike Lucario, Yoshi has more options and once he finds a hole, then he can quite easily take care of him. I say a 6:4.

Captain Falcon - 6:4 Yoshi Minimum

SHOW YOUR MOVES! Ok, so I haven't really played many Falcons yet, but from the what I can tell, He can't Approach Yoshi at all, Because all of them (Dash, SideB, DownB, and Airs) can be countered with a Pivot Grab, resulting in a Chaingrab for massive damage! Yoshi's Air beat out Falcons and Yoshi's Grounds beat out Falcons. Falcon cant really play a defencive game that well either. The only thing is that trying to Physically Edgeguard Falcon is pointless because you'll usually get yourself killed. Just use the Egg's. I haven't played many Falcon's yet, but Yoshi has a clear advantage.

Ice Climbers - 6:4 Yoshi

IC's Airgame is about Equal to Yoshi's. And on the Ground they're pretty Equal too. The specials though are a pain. DownB makes it hard to approach, and SideB can be quite annoying, but easily countered if on an even surface. Their legendary chainthrows are **** scary if they know how to use it.

That being said, Yoshi can outdo them on two accounts. The first being that Yoshi is probably the easiest character to use to separate them. Bair, Nair, SideB and Pivot Grab's almost always results in leaving Nana open, for you to easily pick on with her relatively stupid AI. Once she's gone, then this battle is all you.

The second is that Yoshi can gimp the IC's Recovery so easily, It's actually funny :D. One Dair is all it takes if they're using UpB and it will mess up the entire thing, if in the middle, or about to. In the middle it cancel's it out and makes them fall to their death. If before, it screws up Nana's AI causing her to attempt to UpB herself cauing her to die and as the result, Popo also dies. They're SideB is also pretty easy to gimp. Dair or Egg's usually cause them to scatter, making them SideB separate and losing the height and usually resulting in a death depending on the distance. Conclusion, When together, it quite even, but slants in IC favour. But if you can separate them or get them over the edge, then it should easily fall in your direction

*Cough* *Weez* ..... Wow, that was alot... Discuss

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Nice thread:)

I don't think DDD vs Yoshi should be 7:3. Whenever Im DDD I usually get a bit of a hard time with Yoshi, especially when he approaches me with Bairs cus even if you do shield it then grab right after his tail will still whack you fast (I guess you could just use a pivot grab to get them in the first place though). And Yoshi can combo DDD easily since hes big, and in the first place Yoshi is already a great comber. Attacks like Uair or may be Fair Spike or Dair spike would be much easier to hit. If DDD recovers with his UP B and instead of grabbing onto the stage he goes onto the stage, while he's falling downwards you can [with difficulty] use an Uair or punish with an Up smash or such. Also, while DDD recovers, when he uses his Up B there is a moment before his SA frames kick in, and at this time Yoshi can [predict it] and spike him with Fair/Dair or ledgespike or Semispike etc. with Nair.

so ya i just think the match may be should be 6:4. And also Im pretty sure Yoshi can CG/grab release DDD.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Uh, Dedede IS 6:4.

And Dedede can be Chaingrabbed, but it's extremely difficult to do. I would really like to see the look of the Dedede's player face when he gets Chaingrabed :D

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
Uh, Dedede IS 6:4.

And Dedede can be Chaingrabbed, but it's extremely difficult to do. I would really like to see the look of the Dedede's player face when he gets Chaingrabed :D
I used it on one of my friends who secondaries him. I only got about 3 in before I messed up, but he was stunned.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Wow, double walls of texts. I'm so proud of you all :chuckle:
I guess I'll have to share some input here... for seven characters... and I hope none of you notice that I conveniently skipped Peach.

Zelda: I hate fighting Zelda. You absolutely cannot approach her from above, up air can kill at around 90% if you're a good distance above the stage and up smash seems to go through everything. Din's Fire, while easily dodged, is still a pain and her reflector makes it hard to use eggs effectively. Her aerials, while they don't combo into each other like Yoshi's does, are still dangerous and I'm always trying to maneuver while recovering so I don't get spiked or heeled. Thing is, I know that if you get spiked, you can recover if you happen to have your double jump still (happened to me on Yoshi's Island Brawl twice in an online match). Usually killing them upwards seems to work best for me, unless you can get an fsmash in, but with Zelda's prioritastic fsmash it's kinda hard to do. 7:3 Zelda
This matchup... this is awful. It's really the only one that makes me believe Yoshi belongs near the bottom of the tier lists. I mean, it's no DK<<<Dedede, but still...
Where to begin...
Like DL says, it's a tough one approaching in any way, shape or form. Dair is outprioritized by uair and usmash, bair is outranged by fsmash... it's lucky Yoshi has his trusty running grab or he'd be in huge trouble. Camping is tough against Zelda. It usually boils down to who gets the first hit... if it's Zelda, Yoshi has to advance, and if it's Yoshi, Zelda can just reflect them. Eggs are on the verge of pointless, except when she's recovering. It mostly just makes Yoshi either have to go for a running grab, or hang out just outside Zelda's range and punish her incoming fsmash with an ftilt or pivot grab (which is a lot harder than it sounds, but is very doable off wifi).Bair will usually outrange Zelda's lightning kicks and most aerials, so feel free to use it when she's in the air.
Uair is a saving grace in this match, so save it for KO's. It's Yoshi's one KO move that actually beats Zelda in any situation that it can hit with. Otherwise, it'll be tough trying to knock the princess off the stage.
...Bleh. You should be grabbing a lot. 7:3 Zelda.

Kirby: With Kirby, eggs are really useful. They outrange most if not all of what Kirby has, and they're a better projectile than Final Cutter. I find that usmash is useful against Kirby's who like to approach from the air (which they probably will), and bair is also useful against him as well. Kirbycides are definitely something to watch out for, or pseudo Kirbycides (when they inhale you, fall off the stage but spit you out farther than you can recover), but it can be pretty easy to tell when they're attempting it. Oh, and Kirby's dair is too good, so watch out for him when he's trying to edgeguard you. 5:5
Kirby's a small target so eggs won't always hit, but when they do they work very well, as even Kirby's most ranged moves won't outprioritize eggs. I don't think he should be using final cutter as a projectile anyway, but keep an eye out for it... it's a viable ground option for damage-racking.
When Kirby approaches (he'll have to) Yoshi has either ftilt or usmash to stop his bair and fair. Watch out for his dash attack, which has decent priority, and of course his fsmash, which he will be using a lot just because it's a great move and it beats your tilts. Aerial hammer will outprioritize everything but bair, and Yoshi will end up off the stage... somewhere he does NOT want to be in this matchup.
Once Yoshi is off the edge, Kirby will likely go for the dair-footstool combo, which hurts Yoshi more than anything else in this match. If you can afford it or see it coming, go for the uair, which will beat him. If all else fails, airdodge just after you begin your second jump and you'll fly by him.
Once Kirby is off the edge, you should hang way back. Remember that, when recovering, Kirby can inhale from quite a distance and will likely perform the dreaded "stick-under-the-stage" maneuver that Yoshi can't hope to beat. Just spam eggs, and don't try to gimp his stellar recovery.
This matchup sound horrible the way I've described it, I'm sure. But I'm focusing on the negatives... Kirby's air game = Yoshi's, Yoshi's ground game > Kirby's, and both can combo the living **** out of each other. Kirby excels offstage but if you keep your distance you should be fine. 5:5.

Ganondorf: Eggs, pivot grab, and chain grab all help make this match pretty easy. He's powerful yes, but Yoshi could camp him, chain grab him, and stop some of his favorite approaches. Repeated dair is pretty dangerous, but nothing an egg or a well placed bair can stop. 7:3 Yoshi
Honestly, there's little to nothing to fear here. Yoshi's moves come out faster than and outrange Ganon's. Egg spams are brilliant, CG is b0rked.
Note: Beware the Ganon-Stomp. Don't get psyched out, because it's pretty intimidating to have that big thing bouncing toward you like Yoshimitsu in Soul Calibur (Anybody? Nobody? OK). Any of Yoshi's rangy attacks will get the job done, and to make it worse, Ganon doesn't even have a good aerial to break Yoshi's combos. 7:3, possibly even 8:2 but that's a stretch.

Just a few suggestions, you should post the PT's Pokemon separate as a sub category. Like

Pokemon Trainer - 6:4
- Squirtle - 7:3
- Ivysaur - 5:5
- Charizard - 5:5 (I think that the chaingrab gave the boost to make it even. Plus even the PT's agreed)
I had thought of that, but I thought it cluttered up the main page. I guess it would be fine to add it. BTW I thought Ivy would be 6:4 Yoshi.

Also Wario should be an advantage to Yoshi, and I think we have enough agreement that Yoshi is Even to MetaKnight.
The matchup was in Wario's favor until the CG became fully fleshed out. Pivot grabs shouldn't be hard for anyone to pull off with a little practice.
And I'm still very skeptical on the MK matchup. I dunno, maybe I'm the only one he's good against, but to say it's even seems like an act of main bias, or at least treason.

R.O.B. - 6:4 Disadvantage

Gah! ROB is such an annoying character to deal with. Where do I start? First of all, his Nair and Bair are a pain to deal with! While it has alot of Start-up Lag in his Nair, It cover's it's entire body and just plain hard to counter, even with Yoshi's Bair. Bair is also pretty bad, but it only has hitboxes at the back, so it should be quite easier to delt with. The other Air's are easy to avoid except for maybe his Fair. Yoshi's best bet is to come from underneath with an Uair. His Egg's also deal with him quite nicely.

His Ground game's is not that bad, but **** his Dsmash is ANNOYING! He has some pretty mean Jab's too. Not much to say, His Fsmash is slow, and his Usmash is hard to hit with. The other big thing is his Projectiles, While an Uncharged Gyro is easy to see coming and easily Blocked/Dodged, his Laser is bothersome, but usually not Life Threating. Yoshi's Egg's are pretty good at scaring those who want to charge the Gyro, but he can also reflect the Egg's with the Side B also. Finally, His Recovery, while one of the best, is actually really easy to intercept because you can Airdodge out of it, making him really vernable. Conclusion, Fight ROB is like Fighting Lucario, A really hard to approach character. Unlike Lucario, Yoshi has more options and once he finds a hole, then he can quite easily take care of him. I say a 6:4.
Although ROB's aerials are tricky, do remember that he has a blind spot right behind him. There's enough startup lag on his bair to make it a lot less useful, but ROB won't really be facing Yoshi that often. Now fair and uair, THOSE are problems. Uair is mostly just useful for juggling, so don't use your second jump too often. Fair is great for WOPs... but unfortunately for ROB, Yoshi can just jump out of them. I would second the uair comment, as it outperforms ROB's dair any day.
Eggspam can keep ROB at bay for a while due to his slow aerial and ground speed, but keep in mind that once ROB gets closer, he can just use his reflector (no matter how laggy it is). I've found that it's actually brilliant for harassing ROB's recovery since he can't airdodge directly out of his jetpacks, but it's not like it will stop him from recovering anyway. ROB usually won't get a chance to edgeguard Yoshi either, unless he uses the laser to rid Yoshi of the second jump. ROB's spike is also pretty pointless since Yoshi has super armor.
If you're approaching ROB, go from a bair or from a ground option. Dair will get usmashed and you will die, to put it bluntly. Beware of his fsmash and dsmash on air and ground approaches respectively. I wouldn't say he's as hard to approach as Lucario or (gasp) Zelda is, but it's no cakewalk.
Basic stuff I may have forgotten: Yoshi can combo ROB well due to his size and weight. ROB lives forever so save up your kill moves. DownB from the ground is actually a good kill move if he's spamming dsmash.
I'm getting more and more tired as I'm typing this so I don't think I'll put in my input for a ratio until tomorrow.

Captain Falcon - 6:4 Yoshi Minimum

SHOW YOUR MOVES! Ok, so I haven't really played many Falcons yet, but from the what I can tell, He can't Approach Yoshi at all, Because all of them (Dash, SideB, DownB, and Airs) can be countered with a Pivot Grab, resulting in a Chaingrab for massive damage! Yoshi's Air beat out Falcons and Yoshi's Grounds beat out Falcons. Falcon cant really play a defencive game that well either. The only thing is that trying to Physically Edgeguard Falcon is pointless because you'll usually get yourself killed. Just use the Egg's. I haven't played many Falcon's yet, but Yoshi has a clear advantage.
Falcon's priority makes Yoshi look like G-Dub. Easy, easy match. CG's destroy him and so do combos. Avoid tossing an egg at the beginning, because he'll just run up to you and hit you with something. Ground speed is about all he has here, so just avoid eggspam and it will be smooth sailing.

Ice Climbers - 6:4 Yoshi

IC's Airgame is about Equal to Yoshi's. And on the Ground they're pretty Equal too. The specials though are a pain. DownB makes it hard to approach, and SideB can be quite annoying, but easily countered if on an even surface. Their legendary chainthrows are **** scary if they know how to use it.

That being said, Yoshi can outdo them on two accounts. The first being that Yoshi is probably the easiest character to use to separate them. Bair, Nair, SideB and Pivot Grab's almost always results in leaving Nana open, for you to easily pick on with her relatively stupid AI. Once she's gone, then this battle is all you.

The second is that Yoshi can gimp the IC's Recovery so easily, It's actually funny :D. One Dair is all it takes if they're using UpB and it will mess up the entire thing, if in the middle, or about to. In the middle it cancel's it out and makes them fall to their death. If before, it screws up Nana's AI causing her to attempt to UpB herself cauing her to die and as the result, Popo also dies. They're SideB is also pretty easy to gimp. Dair or Egg's usually cause them to scatter, making them SideB separate and losing the height and usually resulting in a death depending on the distance. Conclusion, When together, it quite even, but slants in IC favour. But if you can separate them or get them over the edge, then it should easily fall in your direction
I would actually say the IC's are very lacking in the aerial department... dair is an awful move, fair is just like Yoshi's fair, uair has range and can juggle but doesn't do much damage. Bair will occasionally pose a threat, however... think DK's bair, but less rangy and less killy.
Excluding CG's, their ground games are pretty equal. The main reason IC's falter slightly here is because Yoshi stays in the air and uses ranged attacks on the ground, leaving them with relatively few chances to get a CG going. Like Mmac says, Yoshi can separate the IC's fairly easily, but be CAREFUL. Don't do anything reckless or you'll get punished nine times.

Bah, I've got more to say on this matchup but I'll say it later. I'm going to bed >_>

Mmac

Smash Lord
This isn't a Matchup Discussion. This is a novel in disguise! O_o

I remember the Ivysaur being 5:5, but slightly in Yoshi Favour also.

Doh! I meant that Yoshi has an Advantage over Wario, but I said the opposite >_<

While I won't be lying that MK has a slight advantage, Yoshi can still deal with him well with tons of counters, Usually with Pivot grabs, which lead to Chaingrabs or a free Usmash. Due to that Free Usmash, Yoshi doesn't need to work as hard to Kill MK unlike the other characters.

Ah Pivot Grabs. Is there anything they can't do?

Hmm... I never really found ROB's Uair bothersome, probably I have been rarely hit with hit. The Best ROB I've faced was a "Booster Jet" user, meaning he mostly use Nairs and Bairs. Trust me, they're not as weak or non-useful as you say they are. Though it sounds like your going for a 6:4 Disadvantage too.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Egg Lay still destroys the Ice Climbers.

God bless that wonderful move.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
This is a great thread guys, keep it up.

On the ROB matchup, look out for that Fair off the stage, I have had it hit me out of my 2nd jump at relatively low %s (under 70) and from there its easy to carry yoshi to where he cant recover with just eggs anymore.
Also the glide toss with the top is annoying as ****, dont let him set that up.

Im am still confused as to why you guys think the Yoshi Kirby matchup is even, Kirby's ground game is in my opinion one of the best in the game. With fast high priority smashes, a dash attack thats hard to punish and the ability to crouch under half of the cast's moveset in brawl he is hard to beat imo.

Also the Egg recovery seems to get me killed with Kirby's Neut-B cause of the lag or inability to airdodge without risking falling past the ledge. Any help on this one would be nice.

Edit: Your guy's thoughts on the marth / luigi matchup, between the obscene amounts of disjointed hitboxes / neut airs of infinite priority i have a hard time with these 2 matchups.

D

Deleted member

Lucario is definately not 7-3. He doesnt have anything that shuts yoshi down. He really isnt all that hard to approach, lucarios main defensive moves are his smashes. His air game is pretty good, but its nothing too threatening, except u usually cant go for uair kills. His recovery is terribly easy to gimp, and he cant gimp yours. He has low damage output until higher percents, and if u gimp him, he will have major problems catching up(not yoshi specific, just a flaw with his character). I dont see the problem with his CG, just dont let him side b grab you. He has trouble when you are close, but outside of his attacking range, because most of his close range options are a little slow. I say even, but no way 7-3.

Uhhh Ill do rob, im not sure if it should be 6-4 or 7-3 now that i know how to do it better :
Rob has a strong projectile game, that yoshi has a little trouble with (though not as much as i initially thought) You cant outspam him so you have to approach, but eggs are still helpful.Shield gyros. Full hop double bairs so that you land behind him, else you are likely to get shield grabbed, but mix up your approaches with FH nairs, sh bairs, and egg lays or DJC egglays. its not good to get grabbed by rob. After a full hop double bair, if you expect a dsmash, shield it, because yoshis shield can actually take the dsmash and sg him afterwards. Robs blindspot is under him cuz his dair is so slow, so if you can land a bair, you can often rack up alot of damage through juggles. When off the stage, make sure you airdodge fairs, gyros and lasers. His spikes timing can throw you off if you arent used to it so be careful. The games are going to be long if you can avoid gimps, because neither of you are good at killing. He has his nair, fsmash and gyro mainly, and you have all of your kill moves. Try to avoid the nair, it has strange startup lag and super priority, so i usually run away and throw an egg. Also, his glide toss is really really good, watch for glide toss to fsmash or grabs.

Uhhhh... Thats it i guess =P Id say 6-4, the main thing was approaching Rob. =/

/WOT

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Wow, I had no idea I had typed that much.
So I gotta finish the IC's first.

I would actually say the IC's are very lacking in the aerial department... dair is an awful move, fair is just like Yoshi's fair, uair has range and can juggle but doesn't do much damage. Bair will occasionally pose a threat, however... think DK's bair, but less rangy and less killy.
Excluding CG's, their ground games are pretty equal. The main reason IC's falter slightly here is because Yoshi stays in the air and uses ranged attacks on the ground, leaving them with relatively few chances to get a CG going. Like Mmac says, Yoshi can separate the IC's fairly easily, but be CAREFUL. Don't do anything reckless or you'll get punished nine times.
Yeah, basically the reason that this match is actually in Yoshi's favor is because the IC's just can't get to him. They'll probably just end up hanging around waiting for a mistake, which is code for "disadvantage". They can't outspam you while they're waiting, so just toss a few eggs or something.
When it comes time to separate the IC's, tilts from the ground and nair/bair from the air usually work best. It's risky to go for a grab since it might take a while to set up and one Climber can still attack you, but egg lay usually works a whole lot better. What other move would you need if you wanted to keep one Climber incapacitated and the other at the mercy of stupid AI?
A few things to look out for: IC's aren't all about CG's. With two Climbers, blizzard can screw up Yoshi's recovery if you don't catch it in the super armor, and squall is a great move in any situation. As for the IC's recovery, I haven't found it to be as easy to screw up with two Climbers as Mmac says, considering that it sweetspots the ledge. But maybe that's just me. At least we agree that one Climber recovering with squall is basically just egg bait.

@ Mmac: I was planning on staying away from .5s on this thread... but would 5.5:4.5 MK work? I dunno, it just looks so... stupid...
The big thing I think you're saying is that Yoshi has a relatively good way to deal with MK. That's actually saying quite a lot, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's in his advantage... MK usually gets a 7:3 minimum against most characters.
Did I say that nair wasn't useful? If I did, I certainly didn't mean to. It covers all his bases well and, if timed right, can shut down most approaches. Bair, I think, is a lot less useful just because he will rarely even be facing back to Yoshi, and it has tons of windup and cooldown lag. Besides, why use bair when he could use fair?
And yes, I would probably put this one at 6:4 ROB. Like burntsocks says later on, approaching him is the main problem, and it's not nearly as tough to do as Zelda.

@ Cliche: First of all great name, I lol'd. :laugh:
Yes, Kirby's ground game is uderestimated and very powerful. It would be a lot MORE powerful if Yoshi actually spent time on the ground, though. Plus there's the whole "grabs outrange all of Kirby's ground options" thing.
For recovery, consider throwing an egg first to screw up the inhale he's probably spamming, then using your second jump from there. If necessary you can DJAD (which I'm totally thinking of copyrighting since no one else seems to do it) past his inhale and follow up with a dair, which would capitalize on inhale's ending lag. Just some things to try. :p
Also, don't tell anyone but I'm saving the Marth matchup for last. It's the most disputed matchup Yoshi has, and it has been since Melee.
But Luigi would be fine, I think. Anyone want to start it up? I'm usually better when I'm responding to the first post.

@ burntsocks: Among other things, Yoshi just has to lose this matchup because he can't kill that well. Against anyone that's murder, but against Lucario it's triple homicide. And like you said, uair gets beaten by dair, meaning that there's only the smashes and nair left (the last of which doesn't work until like 150% anyway). Otherwise I agree that it would be even, but the multipliers are just too much to handle.
Good ROB analysis. ROB will try oh-so-valiantly to edgeguard your recovery but he will fail. Like I said, you said, and Mmac said, approaching is the main problem.

Whew, this thread is getting to be hard on my hands. I'll update the first post now. As always, any arguments on what I've said are appreciated.
Anyone want to start Weegee?

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Yay for more random commentary!

Lucario: Everyone's said this already but I agree: Lucario is dangerous. A spammable projectile that can kill at decent percents when fully charged, a godly dair, a great aerial game, and powerful smashes all make Lucario a tough opponent. Add in the fact that Yoshi has a hard time killing and Lucario only gets stronger by taking damage, and that is not a fun match. I've found that the best way to kill him is to star KO him since his ftilt is pretty fast and seems to have decent priority. A good way I've found is to use the grounded down B or, if you can time it, the up air. But easily the most dangerous part about him is the damage multiplyer; it's just bad news for Yoshi. 7:3 Lucario

Olimar: Maybe it's just me, but I found that campy Olimars are extremely difficult for Yoshi. Egg roll, while nice if the opponent doesn't expect it, can be outprioritized by fsmash and grabbed out of. Eggs are useful against him, but he can always spam pikmin and get your damage up quickly as well. What I like trying to do is egg lay and then down smashing the pikmin on the ground. It works especially well on FD because you can continue putting pressure on him after you reduce his pikmin count. I find that he's also relatively easy to edgeguard, just watch out for that spike of his. Overall, I think this matchup depends on how the Olimar plays. 5:5 or 6:4 Olimar

Ice Climbers: I'm not sure if I should do this, my only IC experience is from Wifi, but oh well. I've faced three IC users in the past (one of them being Chaco, so maybe he can back me up on this) and I find it really easy to seperate them. Down smash, back air, and a quick running grab to back throw all work at seperating the two for those few crucial moments you can use to strike. Eggs help as well if there's distance, but they can start using ice block if that's the case. Blizzard is also very annoying, high priority that makes a good interrupting move. Of course, if you get grabbed you die, but if you manage to separate them enough it shouldn't be too much of a hopeless battle. 6:4 Ice Climbers

Chaco

Never Logs In
Or if you like me you can beat Les by camping on his *** with squall. =D

Chaco

Never Logs In
Good stuff, Chaco. I can hear the IC's echoing in my head right now, lol

Oh, and you showed that belay hurts. <_<
Yes, yes it does.

And whoever said IC's are lacking in the aerial dept. has not played my solo Popo. I rack up two stock with just Popo in a triple threat tourney...y'know what I'm getting the link to that vid...

Prepare to be amazed...

D

Deleted member

If you arent DJAD, you're doin it wrong (unless you are talking about the name DJAD xD)

Ics have desynched short hop blizzard which is really really annoying and damaging, and their cgs. Also desynched iceblocks beat your egg spam i think because they can just shield the eggs and the iceblocks still go. I dont have enough IC experience but id think itd be even.

The thing with lucario is doesnt have enough to make him dangerous. Yoshi has trouble killing, but not gimping lucario, and the pull back on yoshis usmash can soemtimes let him avoid a dair and punish (its pretty cool). Yoshi doesnt have much trouble approaching lucario like people are saying, and lucario isnt exactly good at killing either (he might have it worse than yoshi, besides that brokenly ranged fsmash, but thats really slow anyways). Lucarios close range options are on the slow side, and yoshi can get him in the air and chuck eggs, because lucarios so floaty.

On MK, i think 6-4 is better because if the MK knows the matchup (which we should assume), he wont just run into pivot grabs, so grabs arent exactly easy to get, and MK completely destroys yoshi in the air, and does well on the ground too.

Im not gonna comment on zelda because tho i think its easier than you guys make it out to be, i dont know enough about it.

Approaching rob isnt that hard now that i know how to do it, that was the main reason i had so much trouble, but now that ive been doin full hopped bairs more against rob, its made approaching a lot more managable.

We already discussed olimar. go back a few pages.

I also dont know enough about weegee besides pivot grabbing him if he spaces bairs and nairing him after he nairs you.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Eh, I'm always late with these matchup discussions >_< Most of the characters I have opinions for have been discussed already and I honestly just write commentary as I think of it, lol.

As for Luigi, even though I second him, I don't have enough experience in the matchup to say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom