• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clash of the Titans 5! ~ Twitter Updates @vVv_ChiboSempai

Status
Not open for further replies.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
alright, I got off work for these days so I'm good to go ^_^ from GE we got me TKCK mav and prodigy planning to come.

$1 mms anyone, melee or brawl?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
only 63 registered players really?
lol with 11 days left to register and it not actually mandatory just highly recommended, you arent going to get alot of registrations until the last day, per usual smasher protocol

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Just as long as people sign up by the 31st im fine with that

a lot of people should be signing up at ktar this weekend with me

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Problem with CoT5

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Unfortunately there has been a problem with CoT5, and I need to bring this to all of your attention.

First off please know that I am 100% committed to making sure everything is 100% right and in the event of any problems, no players registered will be out anything at all.

Yes, the venue was setup and everything was ready to go. I had a verbal contract with the sponsor Triple Tramp Athletics that they would be taking the financial "risk" for everything with the tournament, and we were days away from signing the actual venue contract when online registration started. When I say signing a contract, I mean that they were going to sign the contract with the people in control of the venue at Drexel, then we would decide money after the tournament, because of in-person sign ups. If there was a loss, so be it, it was on them. If there was extra money, we give an extra pot, pay staff, decide profits, all those things.

Then all of a sudden, Triple Tramp Athletics fell completely silent. They are a legit company, they sponsored Battle Royale 3, a tournament in PA with no problems at all and even had a large guaranteed pot that was paid out the day of with no problem at all. It was a shock to me of what was going on. They stopped replying to any of my emails, they never answered any of my calls, etc. This wasn't until about a month ago, but I pressed on with my tournament as everything appeared to still be ok. I'll get into the finances later in this post.

However I learned terrible news yesterday. The owner of Triple Tramp Athletics (the direct person I was in contact with) was diagnosed with cancer and is in very poor condition as of around the time this all started. I do not know the exact details, if he is bed ridden or still hospitalized, but it is bad enough to the point that both of his companies (Triple Tramp Athletics and another business) are both done. He is unable to run either of them and this was so sudden that neither of them are in operation any more. This really makes me quite sad to know this happened to him, but relieved to know that they weren't dodging me out of trying to get out of the deal we had. My condolences go out to him and his family.

But with this news now and only one week (well, like 8 days or so) until registration is over, I need to figure out what is going to happen. This tournament is going to be amazing, you all know that. There's a great line up of attendees coming so far, we've got all the West Coast strong-hitters coming to an East Coast event (that's not MLG), more players coming from Canada than any other US tourney in the past, etc. But I'm sure you all know what the problem is, there isn't enough people signed up. Could a million people all sign up the last day? It's possible, but it's not something I can rely on 100% and I've been doing everything I can to get people signed up. Are people being just lazy or is attendance not looking to be as good as it should? I hope (well it should) be neither. It's the next national tournament and it's right in tri-states back yard. Tri-state hasn't had a national in since August of last year.

But here is the problem, the money. The reason for the early registration end date was because the money is due to the venue on June 3rd. 100% of the venue fee money, which is when a contract is signed (it could have been signed earlier but wasn't because of the issues with TTA).

Money is needed above all else to cover the venue. If I come up a little short by the 31st, that's whatever, I can cover it myself, but with only give or take 67 entrants at the moment (I need to update the list), it can't happen at the moment. I was hoping to get a bunch of registrations at KTAR, but I got 2. Where are all the local players?

Money is needed beyond this for things such as staff, and most importantly VGBootCamp, since they are providing something around 40 TVs, 20 Wiis, and the entire Livestream works for this event, not to mention they were generous enough to host the CoT5 website on their server. These however, can be dealt with closer to the event and not on May 31st.

For me to cover the venue 100% at the moment from venue fees alone (without dipping into player money at all) I need approximately 95 more entrants. Remember though, this does not include the extra stuff like staff and VGBC. This means I basically need CoT5 to be in the 150 entrant ballpark range. If you had told me during the planning stages that CoT5 won't hit 150 I would have laughed at you. With how much I've been bugged and urged to run this tournament, how many people enjoyed CoT4 (lol classic), and it's location - 150 seems easy. Especially with tournaments like KTAR 5 just getting in almost 120, 150 for a planned national seems easy... right? But it's looking to be harder than I imagined.

So the options?

I am 100% committed to making sure no one is out any money and at the event players being paid out what they deserve.

Now if we can get 95 more entrants this week, amazing - everything is fine. Even if it's a little less than that, I can tap into entry fees and put my own money back into the pot before the tournament in the time between June 3rd and June 25th.

Another option is, make this a 1 day tournament. I have to find out the details with the venue, but by changing the venue reservation to only one day more or less cuts the price in half (well, almost) to only needing 42 more people to go even with venue, instead of 95. However I do not feel right charging $30 venue for a one day event, and in the event of something like decreasing it to $25 venue and giving those that have paid $30 so far a $5 refund, would make it more than 42 people.

The other option is, well cancel. I'm not in the situation to take a MASSIVE financial hit and be out potentially $1,000 or more. I'm just graduating college, have been living paycheck to paycheck off of my part time job since I have to pay my rent and utilities at school, and do not have a job lined up yet after I graduate next month, despite applying for jobs for months now.

If this is canceled, everyone will receive a full refund (and the $75 lost in Paypal fees already will be taken out of my own pocket) and anyone who has paid money in travel with proof will be given the money back to it, or something similar. This means a lot of money coming out of my own pocket, even if it means giving up my college graduation present I'm getting 100% to instead get money to pay everyone back, I will do it. I do not want to screw anyone over, and I do not want anyone to be out any money, this is how committed I am to this, giving up this money out of my own pockets. Now if the loss from hosting the tournament is instead less than a refund, then of course the tournament will instead be hosted and not canceled.

Above EVERYTHING

I want this tournament to happen.

Tons of players want this tournament to happen.

Everyone needs to sign up immediately, or this may be changed to a one day event or possible canceled.

Do not be scared to sign up in fear of it being canceled, because in the event that it is (and I don't think it will be personally - but this post is to alert people of how serious this situation is), you will receive a full refund and be out no money at all.

Register today at http://cot5.vgbootcamp.com

Any help at all from fellow peers is greatly appreciated, I hope this problem can be rectified asap. My sorrows go out to the family of the owner of Triple Tramp Athletics. Know that whatever happens to you, the attendees, you guys are what's important and I will do anything and everything to make everything good for you whether or not this tournament happens.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yea, even though there were others who told me before the event that they would pay me there, they ended up not having the money on them, etc.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Xzax is making one, I've been wanting to make a second but I really don't have time to. I will after May 31st, but not before. I have 3 weeks of college left forever till I graduate so I'm in project crunch mode time.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
thanks for letting us know what the situation is to make sure opposed to taking the pound 5 route. people need to sign up for this!!!!!!!!

dabuz

he name searches, he should be here

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
thanks for letting us know what the situation is to make sure opposed to taking the pound 5 route. people need to sign up for this!!!!!!!!

dabuz

hard read?

anyway, ill sign up by tomorrow

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Working on getting this done for at LEAST a spectator pass, I hate having my parents keep things so that there's no way to get outside of a 30 mile radius :(. I really wanna see this tourney be successful, and even if I can't enter the tourney itself, I'd like to at least be there for a bit to take part in friendlies and support it.

:205:

M@v

Subarashii!
Damn, this is the only national tourney I can make this year too. If your going to sign up people, do it NOW, not LATER. He needs help, support him! I'd hate it to see this reduced to a 1 day, because it would really hurt the attendance and hype imo. Even worse would be if it got cancelled. D:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Thx for the good words so far everyone

Just did some more finances and stuff, if this becomes a one day event (I REALLLLY want it to stay as is though, as do many) lets say I reduce venue to $25, give people who paid $30 a $5 refund, I would need about 52 more entrants to cut even, which isn't terrible. This is a much more likely fall back plan instead of the event being canceled. Also if it's a one day event I would get the venue times extended beyond what they are now, like closing @ 4am instead of 2 to make sure for time purposes, etc.

But I know we can come together as a community and still make this happen originally as planned with it being 2 days!

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Serious time hurr :017:

This news isn't at all discouraging to me, in fact it should fully motivate our community to step it up and get them entrants jumping hard body this week, we're not a dead community so lets show it. Like it's not hard to scrape together the venue fee money and at least singles to make sure this happens, it would be horrid for us to not have an EC event that's not MLG that has West Coasts finest players attending. I've already taken off and registered so I'm def not going to lose any hype cause I've got faith in this event. Ktar showed me we can still make EC the chillest and hype filled Brawl spots in the world(get @ us oversea hoes). This is the summer event to be at, the EC Genesis if you will, don't pass this **** up.

Spread the word and open yo pockets to keep this **** 2 days and 2 hyped. Even Gunblade is coming thro despite being 2-0d by TonyT in a MM, now THAT'S some dedication.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Don't forget there will probably be a ton of people that were just waiting to register last minute so that should help out.

What was last minute registration for pound 5 like?

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
i would of entered but all these tourny's lately been hurting my pockets. this was jus scheduled at a bad time. with genesis and SIIS around the same time and right after ktar its jus hard to keep up.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

dabuz

name-search successful, target has been acquired

BTW, considering going to this, if i go, anyone wanna team?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
lol EE too good

im only registering tomorrow and not like 3 hours ago because i have to go deposit cash into my bank account

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Working on getting this done for at LEAST a spectator pass, I hate having my parents keep things so that there's no way to get outside of a 30 mile radius :(. I really wanna see this tourney be successful, and even if I can't enter the tourney itself, I'd like to at least be there for a bit to take part in friendlies and support it.

:205:
how are you gonna get here? bring pav!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom