• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Sakurai has told:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai ain't never going to post anything about Smash Bros. until these 2 games come out.

@ Metal
He is trolling. It's a picture of a cat. I've been following Sakurai for months on Twitter, and he hasn't mentioned Smash at all, aside from his short description of himself.
I fail to see how Meowth, Pit, and Peach hold more weight than this "Wolf nonsense" when considering the only thing we have of those three is word of mouth. At least the guy that claims Wolf was planned lists Famitsu as a source, and if Famitsu is enough for people to believe that Sakurai considered a Villager from Animal Crossing for Brawl, why wouldn't it be proof enough for Wolf in 64?
If Peach was planned at least, wouldn't Sakurai make note of that when he talked about Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede on the pre-Melee poll page? I mean, Peach DID get 2nd place.
As for the inevitable "He didn't mention Wolf" counterargument, remember that Wolf wasn't even in the Top 20, so why would he mention Wolf at that point in time?
The proof we have in Peach and Pit is a bit more concrete. Obviously Peach is one of the 3 or 4 main characters in gaming's biggest and most important series. As for Pit, Sakurai referenced Pit fighting again heavily in his Melee trophy, and also made a new Kid Icarus game. As for Meowth, he seems to have a lot of data in Smash 64, although I don't agree that he was ever planned as a playable character (however, I think he was tested, much like the LITERAL Zero Suit Samus).

I'm not saying it is true or false. I just need sources. I haven't seen said Famitsu article. If I saw it, I would be a little more convinced.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a dozen characters were tested or "heavily considered" for Smash 64. For Melee and especially Brawl specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if many more characters were considered. If 40 characters were tested or considered for Brawl, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

D

Deleted member

The proof we have in Peach and Pit is a bit more concrete. Obviously Peach is one of the 3 or 4 main characters in gaming's biggest and most important series. As for Pit, Sakurai referenced Pit fighting again heavily in his Melee trophy, and also made a new Kid Icarus game. As for Meowth, he seems to have a lot of data in Smash 64, although I don't agree that he was ever planned as a playable character (however, I think he was tested, much like the LITERAL Zero Suit Samus).
That is not proof at all. Just what are you trying to pull?
Zelda is the namesake of the Zelda series, so obviously, she was planned for 64. Ganon/Ganondorf is the main villain of said series, so clearly, he was as well. How about Ash? He was more or less known as the "main" character in Pokemon, so he was planned to be playable and have Pikachu at his side.
That's pretty much what you are saying when you talk about Peach being planned simply on the basis that she's a prominent character in her series.
The only ones with legitimate proof are Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede, and that's because Sakurai said they were. While Sakurai hasn't actually confirmed Wolf, this finding is much more credible than simply what role so-and-so had or how popular whatshisname is.

And saying "Will Pit ever fight again?" at the very end of his Melee trophy isn't proof that he was planned for the previous game, but that he would be in the next game (which is what happened).

What data are you claiming Meowth has? His role as a Poke Ball summon? Welp, guess that means Waluigi was planned for Brawl.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Holder of the Heel, you my man, but be honest nah, did Sakurai REALLY say somethin about Smash 4, or are you just trollin' us

:phone:
Baha sorry Metal. And, according to my translator, it says:

"And get out of a bath, there are living things, it was always waiting. Toilet to wait also. Geno confirmed for SSB4."

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That is not proof at all. Just what are you trying to pull?
Zelda is the namesake of the Zelda series, so obviously, she was planned for 64. Ganon/Ganondorf is the main villain of said series, so clearly, he was as well. How about Ash? He was more or less known as the "main" character in Pokemon, so he was planned to be playable and have Pikachu at his side.
That's pretty much what you are saying when you talk about Peach being planned simply on the basis that she's a prominent character in her series.
The only ones with legitimate proof are Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede, and that's because Sakurai said they were. While Sakurai hasn't actually confirmed Wolf, this finding is much more credible than simply what role so-and-so had or how popular whatshisname is.

And saying "Will Pit ever fight again?" at the very end of his Melee trophy isn't proof that he was planned for the previous game, but that he would be in the next game (which is what happened).

What data are you claiming Meowth has? His role as a Poke Ball summon? Welp, guess that means Waluigi was planned for Brawl.
Speaking of proof, where's the Megaman model you said Capcom had made for Brawl, John. :glare:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Smash Wimp is still here? I don't see sw96 anywhere.. anyway the new rival from Black 2 and White 2 is officially badass

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Smash Wimp is still here? I don't see sw96 anywhere.. anyway the new rival from Black 2 and White 2 is officially badass
His name is now yusuke, apparently.

Is there only one rival now? Or still 2?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm not even going to argue Golden. I'm not arguing any of the "rumors" of characters in Smash 64 holds much ground when compared to the characters confirmed by Sakurai, but they do have some good points.[COLLAPSE="I'll go through simple points:"]
  • Peach back then was a trillion times more important than all Pokémon and Zelda characters COMBINED! (minus Pikachu) This is probably still true, although not to that extent.
  • Zelda back then hadn't sold 20 million units. Mario had sold about that many with 2-4 games at that point. Seriously, Zelda would have had only 3 characters in Melee if not for clones. Mario's Big Four were probably in from the get go. Peach and Bowser overshadowed all potential newcomers before Melee's reveal by HUGE margins.
  • For the record Donkey Kong had sold several million more units than Zelda back then. If it wasn't for Rare debacle, I think Diddy Kong would have gotten in over Sheik or Young Link and Ganondorf.
  • Pokémon was bigger and has remained bigger than Zelda after it's 1st 2 years of existence.
  • I'm not arguing that these rumored characters were "100% confirmed" to be in the works. Rather, I am saying they may have been worked on. Again, I think literally the Brawl "considered" roster could have been upwards beyond 100. If 200 characters are "considered" for Smash Wii U/3DS I wouldn't be surprised
  • Sakurai's love for Pit seems like it goes a while back. Again, I'm not saying Pit was playable. I am merely saying Pit seems like he was considered.
  • Meowth has more data than just about every NPC. Waluigi didn't. The character with the most data that wasn't playable in Brawl was Mewtwo. Meowth also had quite a bit more graphic-related data than other NPCs.
[/COLLAPSE]Stop playing the gotcha game. If I wanted to do that, I'd watch pundit news.
Speaking of proof, where's the Megaman model you said Capcom had made for Brawl, John. :glare:
I posted a link to a GameFAQs thread on it that claims to have a source. I thought it had a valid source for such a claim, but it doesn't. If it did, it doesn't have it anymore. :ohwell:

However, it is well known Capcom wants Mega Man in Smash (look up Street Fighter X Tekken) and Keiji Inafune wanted/wants Mega Man in Smash.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Peach is easily the best Super Smash Hoe of all-time! :awesome: (also, Marth)
I want Nintendo vs Capcom, dammit :cry:

I want to be able to use Viewtiful Joe against Nintendo characters even though he won't get into Smash 4
Meah I prefer Smash the way it is today. I prefer Sakurai to just make Smash with Nintendo characters and a few cool (and at least somewhat important) guests.

If Capcom were to make such a game, it would be 10 times worse than MvC3. Capcom would make them 60 bucks plus w***ing by making DLC for 40 dollars and making an "Ultimate" or "Super" version of said game for over 40 dollars. That's not a game, that's an investment.

If that w***ing out didn't happen on Capcom's part, then I would totally want such a game to be made by Capcom. In other words, Capcom pre-the 7th Generation of Gaming! :laugh:
Ronald MC Donald for SSB4!!!! :troll:[COLLAPSE="Click here for the picture:"]
[/COLLAPSE]
McDonald's doesn't even use him anymore... ;)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Real quick, John, what portions of playable character data does Meowth have?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Wait, you said you got the "info" of Capcom "having a Mega Man design created for Brawl" from GameFAQs? You should know better than to trust them lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Heyoo guys, I dunno if I can stay today for chatting, but, just leaving these links here.

These lead to the Pit & Palutena-Codecs I've done so far now, so wish you read them and tell me what ya think of them.
*Scroll down the pages if you don't see the codecs right away*

Starfy & Lip

Alice & Ridley

Mewtwo

Toad

Tom Nook

Many have been asking for appearances of other characters like Viridi or Hades, and I'm gonna use them. I just gotta get to know their personalities more clearly, so I can incharacterise them effectively.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I really like the Pit and Palutena codecs. I hope we actually get them in SSB4

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Poppy
"Playable data" is hard to define. Nearly every character in Smash 64 had the same 1 or 2 tilts, aerials, grabs, and smash attacks. So giving Meowth or any character those same attacks would not be hard at all. The only thing that would need to be worked on would be his 3 special attacks, of which he could just "steal" one from his Pokéball Pokémon data.

Pretty much all I know Meowth has more data than all the other Pokéball Pokémon in Smash 64. Granted, most of them didn't have very much data at all.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@ Poppy
"Playable data" is hard to define. Nearly every character in Smash 64 had the same 1 or 2 tilts, aerials, grabs, and smash attacks. So giving Meowth or any character those same attacks would not be hard at all. The only thing that would need to be worked on would be his 3 special attacks, of which he could just "steal" one from his Pokéball Pokémon data.

Pretty much all I know Meowth has more data than all the other Pokéball Pokémon in Smash 64. Granted, most of them didn't have very much data at all.
Well, basically I mean what does he have that gives him the most data out of the NPCs in Brawl?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hmm, here is another interesting tidbbit I found on NeoGAF. We always hear about the quote where Sakurai discussed ditching the Animal Crosser idea, but the full context of the statement is actually interesting.

"I considered adding the protagonist from Animal Crossing, but because I could only include so many characters, I had to prioritize. I decided that there were characters more suited towards the violent nature of Smash Bros., so I held off on him. It would have been possible to make him fight using things like the shovel and net, though."

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hmm, here is another interesting tidbbit I found on NeoGAF. We always hear about the quote where Sakurai discussed ditching the Animal Crosser idea, but the full context of the statement is actually interesting.
It's things like this that make me wonder if the Forbidden 7 is more than 7, but nobody's found the others.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Don't suck the radioactive pinapple's nipples! o.O

@ Poppy
I was talking about Meowth in Smash 64, not Brawl. In Brawl Meowth doesn't have any extra data. He's just a regular NPC "helper" character.

Now if you're talking Mewtwo, go look up the files. He's got a SSE picture (I think), a victory pose (Wolf doesn't have one; he just uses Fox's frame data with Wolf voice data/voice acting), and frame data for about half of a "complete" move set.

@ Star
That is exactly what I mean by characters being "considered." Back in Melee, Sakurai mentioned he'd like to add Lip, Takamaru, and Sukapon, and he tested the Mach Rider, the Balloon Fighter, Bubbles (from Clu-Clu Land), the Excite Biker, and the Urban Champion.

I figure since we have the Forbidden Seven plus 39 playable characters, mentions of such characters like the Animal Crosser, and so many NPC "helper" characters and bosses, all these well-designed trophies, and a rich history of characters on Nintendo's part, you gotta figure there's at least a roster that is equal or greater in size considered that wasn't playable in Brawl than the one that was (39 characters strong).

That's why I'm saying that Smash Wii U/3DS could literally have 200 characters "considered." It sounds far fetched, but if you think the roster ends up having 50 characters, you gotta have a wide range of "possibilities" to come up with the most "complete" and "entertaining" roster in the end. In other words, for every 1 character in, 3 characters didn't make it. The same thing happens in just about everything from politics, to sports, to buying a product, to job searching. That's oddly enough a factor in how society functions! :laugh:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Porpy: There are characters he considered before actually creating any sort of data in the game. You have to cut down on those ideas early on to lessen the work load. It's probably safe to say that characters that did have data were considered a bit more seriously, however.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@ Poppy
I was talking about Meowth in Smash 64, not Brawl. In Brawl Meowth doesn't have any extra data. He's just a regular NPC "helper" character.

Now if you're talking Mewtwo, go look up the files. He's got a SSE picture (I think), a victory pose (Wolf doesn't have one; he just uses Fox's frame data with Wolf voice data/voice acting), and frame data for about half of a "complete" move set.

@ Star
That is exactly what I mean by characters being "considered." Back in Melee, Sakurai mentioned he'd like to add Lip, Takamaru, and Sukapon, and he tested the Mach Rider, the Balloon Fighter, Bubbles (from Clu-Clu Land), the Excite Biker, and the Urban Champion.

I figure since we have the Forbidden Seven plus 39 playable characters, mentions of such characters like the Animal Crosser, and so many NPC "helper" characters and bosses, all these well-designed trophies, and a rich history of characters on Nintendo's part, you gotta figure there's at least a roster that is equal or greater in size considered that wasn't playable in Brawl than the one that was (39 characters strong).

That's why I'm saying that Smash Wii U/3DS could literally have 200 characters "considered." It sounds far fetched, but if you think the roster ends up having 50 characters, you gotta have a wide range of "possibilities" to come up with the most "complete" and "entertaining" roster in the end. In other words, for every 1 character in, 3 characters didn't make it. The same thing happens in just about everything from politics, to sports, to buying a product, to job searching. That's oddly enough a factor in how society functions! :laugh:
I knew about Mewtwo. That makes a lot more sense. I must've read it wrong. I was sitting here thinking, "Wait... Wouldn't that be Starfy?"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Poppy
I'm glad I could clear that up. ;)
With Oasis' Weak Strong Help
:laugh:
There are characters he considered before actually creating any sort of data in the game. You have to cut down on those ideas early on to lessen the work load. It's probably safe to say that characters that did have data were considered a bit more seriously, however.
That's exactly what I mean. The "considered" roster gets cut in the planning, the initial development, the pre-character model creation, the beginning of development, the initial character testing, etc. It's a long process. While many characters are "cut," in rare instances (maybe the Melee clones=???) they could be revived, more than likely as clones. :reverse:

By the way (on a somewhat random side note), if I seem like a **** in my last 6 or so posts it is not on purpose. I was foolish enough to go for a 3 mile jog with an aching stomach bug. That made it a trillion times worse. I gotta stop doing dumb crap like that! :chuckle: I may or may not come across as p***y. I don't mean to come across that way. :bee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom