• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
LMAO
how savagely disappointing would it be if they made a smash bros game with out multiplayer capabilities?
hahaha

Osi

Smash Ace
Hahahahah, that would be so bad. Such a scary thought... lets hope sakurai the destructor never finds this page hehe. Single player only.... man that's a nightmare.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if he's in charge of it again, they'll still have multi-player.

the issue is that he will remove KO's from the game because they "discourage" the player.
LMAO

majora_787

Smash Hero
if he's in charge of it again, they'll still have multi-player.

the issue is that he will remove KO's from the game because they "discourage" the player.
LMAO
They'll also remove the heroes because the heroes tend to discourage the villains, and so there will be Bowser and Ridley righting in a box....because blast lines and doscouraged characters discourage the player.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
There will only be Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, and anybody else that is neither Hero nor Villain.

There will be KOs but no score to keep.

The results screen will say "This game winner is...YOU!"

majora_787

Smash Hero
There will only be Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, and anybody else that is neither Hero nor Villain.

The game will say, "The winner is....Players 1-4 and all spectators! Smiley face!!"

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198

The game will say, "The winner is....Players 1-4 and all spectators! Smiley face!!"
LMAO
i thought i would get flamed for saying that. but it's begining to look beautiful.

someone should make a thread like this but for the version of smash that will be made only by sakurai. because it's already made me LOL too much!!!!

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575

That's totally wrong. The Ice Climbers discourage polar bears, so they can't stay. Mr. G&W discourages people from being 3D and wearing clothes. ROB discourages the human race, since robots will rule the world in the future.

The only playable character should be Sakurai, because he removed the characters that discouraged villians, heroes, polar bears, 3D people, and humans. But you are totally right on the rest of the stuff.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
That's totally wrong. The Ice Climbers discourage polar bears, so they can't stay. Mr. G&W discourages people from being 3D and wearing clothes. ROB discourages the human race, since robots will rule the world in the future.

The only playable character should be Sakurai, because he removed the characters that discouraged villians, heroes, polar bears, 3D people, and humans. But you are totally right on the rest of the stuff.
but sakurai discourages competitive players. LMAO
so the next smash game will be called "purgatory" hahahaha

with tons of unlockables

majora_787

Smash Hero
but sakurai discourages competitive players. LMAO
so the next smash game will be called "purgatory" hahahaha

with tons of unlockables
Honestly, video games discourage old people who hate electronics. So we need to make it REAL VIOLENT COMBAT...but with no losers and only WINNERS :D

Linkshot

Smash Hero
There will be 54 characters, all of them either Mario, Link, Kirby, MK, D3, Fox, Falcon, Snake, Pikachu, or Marth clones.

Every series will have max 7 characters (min 2) except Sakurai's, Kojima's, and Pokemon which will have 12, 4, and 10 respectively.
EDIT: All other 3rd Parties get 1 rep that is a clone of Mario.

Stock Mode will be replaced with Damage Mode, where the goal is to deal the most % total.

1P modes will cost nothing except points to continue with a max of 10 stock.

Adventure will consume 75% of the disc's memory. 10% for VS and the rest for Bonus Features.

Chronicles will only feature 20 seconds of Super Mario Bros, 30 seconds of Legend of Zelda, 1 minute of Pokemon Yellow, and 30 minutes of every Kirby game released to its date.

Adventure will have Kirby, MK, and D3 as the heroes while all others are villains that stand in their way of spreading dreams.

This will be the placeholder. If the game meets at least 70% of these requirements, I will avoid the game at all costs.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There will be 54 characters, all of them either Mario, Link, Kirby, MK, D3, Fox, Falcon, Snake, Pikachu, or Marth clones.

Every series will have max 7 characters (min 2) except Sakurai's, Kojima's, and Pokemon which will have 12, 4, and 10 respectively.
EDIT: All other 3rd Parties get 1 rep that is a clone of Mario.

Stock Mode will be replaced with Damage Mode, where the goal is to deal the most % total.

1P modes will cost nothing except points to continue with a max of 10 stock.

Adventure will consume 75% of the disc's memory. 10% for VS and the rest for Bonus Features.

Chronicles will only feature 20 seconds of Super Mario Bros, 30 seconds of Legend of Zelda, 1 minute of Pokemon Yellow, and 30 minutes of every Kirby game released to its date.

Adventure will have Kirby, MK, and D3 as the heroes while all others are villains that stand in their way of spreading dreams.

This will be the placeholder. If the game meets at least 70% of these requirements, I will avoid the game at all costs.
Some of those are so horrible I'll avoid it if ONE of them happens. Well, more than one of the horrible ones.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
LMAO tooo goood
hahah
man, i'm telling you. make a separate thread for it. haha
then pm me or something so i don't have to look for it LMAO

majora_787

Smash Hero
LMAO tooo goood
hahah
man, i'm telling you. make a separate thread for it. haha
then pm me or something so i don't have to look for it LMAO
Calm down, I don't think SSB Fail suggestions will be that good of a thread. It might even be mistranslated as melee or brawl flaming and closed. :laugh:

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Calm down, I don't think SSB Fail suggestions will be that good of a thread. It might even be mistranslated as melee or brawl flaming and closed. :laugh:
you're post could be considered "flaming" my ideas and you could get an infraction for it. lol
yeah. i know it would get closed almost immediately. lol
but i would still get my laugh.

majora_787

Smash Hero
you're post could be considered "flaming" my ideas and you could get an infraction for it. lol
yeah. i know it would get closed almost immediately. lol
but i would still get my laugh.
How am I flaming your idea? Those things listed above sound a LOT like a Smash Bros. fail to me. I think it would be a hilarious thread, but a closed one.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Alright alright alright XD I think we've been beating on this enough. Let's leave what we don't want it to be in the dust.

I'd rather the game not be focused too much on 1P. Maybe 20% of the time should go into that for the less socially fortunate.

I'd like around 10 new characters, mostly to rep series not rep'd yet. I want SSB4 to focus mainly on decloning the cast and canonising them to their games (Looking at Toon Link, Lucas, and Ness here. Also Samus' projectiles.)

Projectiles should be nerfed in terms of priority. Alternative to this is a RPS-mentality of priority, where A beats priority B, B beats C, and C beats A. Elements should play a part in Priority, too. Aura beats Darkness, Fire beats Ice, Ice beats Water, Water beats Fire, Darkness beats Lightning, Lightning beats Aura. Fire beats Lightning, Lightning beats Water, etc until the elements are in balance (thrown Wind in there). Poking beats Bashing, Bashing beats Swiping, and Swiping beats Poking. The more disjointed a move is, the less priority it has against its own classification.

I totally lost my general train of thought. Anyway, any other suggestions to balance the game more?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
How am I flaming your idea? Those things listed above sound a LOT like a Smash Bros. fail to me. I think it would be a hilarious thread, but a closed one.
you weren't. lol
i was just being dumb.
and i agree with you fully.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Alright alright alright XD I think we've been beating on this enough. Let's leave what we don't want it to be in the dust.

I'd rather the game not be focused too much on 1P. Maybe 20% of the time should go into that for the less socially fortunate.

I'd like around 10 new characters, mostly to rep series not rep'd yet. I want SSB4 to focus mainly on decloning the cast and canonising them to their games (Looking at Toon Link, Lucas, and Ness here. Also Samus' projectiles.)

Projectiles should be nerfed in terms of priority. Alternative to this is a RPS-mentality of priority, where A beats priority B, B beats C, and C beats A. Elements should play a part in Priority, too. Aura beats Darkness, Fire beats Ice, Ice beats Water, Water beats Fire, Darkness beats Lightning, Lightning beats Aura. Fire beats Lightning, Lightning beats Water, etc until the elements are in balance (thrown Wind in there). Poking beats Bashing, Bashing beats Swiping, and Swiping beats Poking. The more disjointed a move is, the less priority it has against its own classification.

I totally lost my general train of thought. Anyway, any other suggestions to balance the game more?

Okay, people always say Melee had fast paced combat. I think we should make the game SUPER-fast paced and with huge arenas and make attacks more devestating. XD Just to make it look and feel more extreme.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Say I was wondering? YOu guys think R.O.B. has a chance of returning for SSB4. I think he is. When I heard about him confirmed to be in Brawl. I thought he would suck and I really thought he was a waste of a Character. However I gave him a chance and he ain't that bad. So any chance he'll return.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Considering ROB is a beast of a char that actually needs nerfing, I think he'll make it back.

He's very iconic to Nintendo. Of course they'll keep him.
Good. You know when I first heard about him being in. I thought he was a waste of space. Also I seem to consider him a Joke Character. But he is good.

I always thought he was a Joke Character, but is really good now that I play as him sometimes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
ROB is SUCH a beast. He NEEDS to return.

But anyway my previous idea...

1. All stages are grounded stages. Side KOs and Sky KOs only, except for some that have holes in the floor, or in half the screen, like a mountain or something.

2. Characters have more power, more speed. They can jump higher abd can be bigger or smaller so they can be more accurate with strength, abilities, speed, and jump height. Special attacks and final smashes are more devestating.

3. Overall make it an extreme fighting game in superspeed.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
My other idea is....NO MORE CLONES!

(Toon Link *I know yur goign to say his and Link's moves act different but still it is still considered a clone*, Falco, Wolf, Lucas *Except PK Freeze that is the only different move he has apart from Ness)

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
well they are going to become more and more different... but still be clones to a certain extent

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Yeah that is true. Out of all those clones. The clones I consider to be the most clonest is Falco, Wolf, and Toon Link (Yes I know they act different but still their clones)

For example.

Fox

Blaster

Falco

Blaster

SAME!

Even there final smash is. How about if Sakurai was kind. He could give Falco a different final smash and have Falco do something like use his arwing and shoot at characters with it. Gee Sakurai you and your mind.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm surprised nobody's said anything to help my EXTREME smash idea. Someone at another form even suggested the name "Super Smash Bros. Adrenaline" for it. :laugh:

Heavyweights, ROB and Captain Falcon would be BEASTS in an ultimate smash bros.

Captain Falcon would be superfast and his falcon punch would give Bowser a heavy concussion. XD

Bowser, he would just be epic.

gantrain05

Smash Master
smashbrosmike, i have a feeling you play smash by running around mashing on the C-stick and pressing the B button, because most of the characters in brawl really aren't "clones" anymore, if thier moveset is not the same they are not clones.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'd be surprised if he used the c-stick. ANYWAY.

Any suggestions for balancing the game that doesn't require turning it into Pokemon like somebody just pointed out that I did? >.>;;

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd be surprised if he used the c-stick. ANYWAY.

Any suggestions for balancing the game that doesn't require turning it into Pokemon like somebody just pointed out that I did? >.>;;
I gave you my suggestion, but I'm not saying it again. Scroll up to read it. :bee:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
REX

Rex is a large plastic dinosaur toy, and the undisputed king of unintentional humor in each film. Much of this humor stems from the fact that he is much more simple-minded than the other toys. Although Rex has brief moments of bravery, he is neurotic and becomes hysterical at the slightest problems.

STATISTICS

Power: 10
Size: 9
Weight: 9
Fall Speed: 7
Aerial Movement: 4
Jumps: 3
Movement: 3
Traction: 3

Surprise, surprise, Rex appears to be typical heavyweight fodder...right? He's certainly got the weight part down, as well as an additional method to stick around. Both of these are vital to playing as Rex, as they are the key to unlocking his power. Rex has to take some damage in order to send characters flying, and once he's taken enough damage, Rex's power is nearly unlimited. He's far from the next Lucario, though; not just any damage will power him up, and his strength buff is far from permanent.

SPECIALS

Neutral Special - Rooted to the Spot
Rex claps his little hands together and whimpers in place, with .1 second startup lag. He has super armor in this pose; if he's attacked once, though, he'll instantly exit the pose with a yelp, losing the armor in the process. He can hold this pose for up to two seconds, before he exits it with a second of lag, due to laughing in relief; you can cancel it by tapping B again, with identical lag. Rex can also perform any of his grounded attacks to cancel this pose; the super armor is given to the attack before it vanishes.

Now, for the bread and butter of this move: all the damage Rex endures in this pose with his super armor is transferred to the next Smash he uses. When Rex is more terrified from being attacked, he becomes more desperate to finish the match in one piece. The knockback of his Smashes also increases as extra damage is awarded to Rex's Smashes, similarly to Game & Watch's bucket. Rex is much better off absorbing strong, single hits, rather than multi-hit combo moves that Rex will flinch from after the first hit, and not add too much damage to a Smash in the first place.

You'll also want to use the move rather conservatively; if you miss at all, Rex will undergo some very bountiful punishment, courtesy of the lag he suffers. Although Rex does have some crafty ways of getting foes to attack him while he has super armor, you should never just throw out this move. Of particular interest, Rex can use this move while a character is grabbing him; unless his captor throws him quickly away during the move's startup lag, Rex will absorb the damage from the next throw (albeit still taking half the knockback, preventing chaingrabs). He can also use this move while in a prone position, allowing him to use a get-up attack with super armor, as well as avoid laser locks.

Rex can play a match building damage on his foes gradually, while using this super armor to take damage and stick around, while buffing a single Smash, then unleash all his might in one fell swoop to obliterate an opponent. The damage and knockback added to Rex's Smashes does not cap, allowing him to dominate stupid aggressive players easily. However, if Rex doesn't take enough hits while in this pose before Smashing, if he whiffs his powered-up Smash, or if he is KOed before he is able to use it (as he'll have still accumulated a lot of damage with his super armor), all his effort will have been for naught.

Side Special - Use Your Head!
Rex lowers his head and screams, charging forward at Fox's dash speed, after .45 second startup lag. Unlike Potato Head, Rex will stop at edges, with quite a bit of ending lag. Also, Rex can actually turn around mid-move or jump once, to continue pursuing opponents (or to recover). Rex can tap any button to cancel the move early, with not too much lag.

Characters who hit Rex take a hefty 20%, but the ensuing vertical knockback won't KO until upwards of 190%. To stop Rex from charging into them, characters must hit him with an attack that deals at least 10%. This causes him to take the damage and fall into his downed position, a comical faint, completely punishable. Rex does have a solution to this, though, and it can really pay off for him: he can use this move out of Neutral Special, charging forward with his super armor (which lasts until the charge ends, rather than merely two seconds).

Rex will take the damage, but now, he won't lag at all, while the damage of the attack that halted him is added to a Smash attack. To prevent this from being a major tool in Rex's arsenal, opponents will want to stop Rex with their weakest attack that will still end his charge with sufficient damage, preventing him from powering up his Smash too much. Considering Rex can continue pursuing them, however, dodging can be difficult to pull off; the opponent is left with the choices of taking quite a bit of damage, or contributing to Rex's power.

Up Special - Hysteria
Rex waves his arms in fear and lets out a yell, jumping up Mario's height in the air. He has .2 second lag on both ends of the move. During the startup lag, you can direct Rex's jump in any direction. Rex can use this move out of Neutral Special to direct his jump into an opponent's attack, adding damage to a Smash, if he is unable to position himself in their attack's range to begin with.

If Rex presses this input during its cool-down lag, he'll jump again rapidly; he can perform multiple jumps to get around rapidly, keeping his opponents on edge all the while. If he does so with super armor, it will last until his final jump (it caps at ten, just to prevent infinite armor jumping). He can also use this jump to recover; if you jump while directly over an opponent, Rex will footstool them with double the normal force.

Down Special - Scary Roar
Rex spreads his arms and says "Roooaaar!" in his normal voice. He has .25 second lag on both ends of the move; Rex can hold out his roar for up to three seconds, after which he collapses, exhausted. Characters half of Battlefield in front of Rex, at his height, are blown back with slightly more force than Dedede's Inhale, taking no damage. Any projectiles launched at Rex or traps in the vicinity are also blown back by the force of his roar.

Your primary use from this is as a defense from multi-hit combo characters and projectile-spammers whose hits can't all be absorbed by your super armor. Even if Rex takes in a few of these hits, the others will pepper him to the point where he'll have difficulty sticking around to power his Smash up sufficiently (remember, you can't hold the armor out after you've been attacked). On the flipside, make sure you don't blow away juicy Gordos!

SMASHES

Forward Smash - T-Rex Roar
Rex rears back for .3 second, before unleashing a full-on T-Rex roar for half a second; here, he roars with the T-Rex sound from Jurassic Park , rather than his normal voice. His roar creates a circular shockwave around his mouth; the wave increases with the attack charge, varying from Party Ball size to nearly the size of a Smart Bomb explosion. Rex lags for roughly half this move's startup time. Rex can angle his roar slightly up or down before letting loose.

Characters hit by this attack without any extra damage added take 8-14%, as well as a...tiny bit of stun? It goes without saying that Rex needs some added damage and knockback from Neutral Special to KO with this move...When he gets this, though, he can send characters flying with ease. If around 25% or higher is added to the move, it can KO at around 70%. If you take the time to harvest even more damage, you'll reap the rewards of an even lower KO percentage.

Just so you know, if Rex is attacked while using a Smash out of Neutral Special, only the 'added armor damage' gained prior to the Smash is awarded to the it; the damage taken during a Smash is instead added to the next Smash Rex performs.

Down Smash - Tail Bludgeon
Rex yells out, "I can't look!", before turning around rapidly in a circle, smacking characters unknowingly with his tail, which reaches out a fair distance. Rex has .3 second startup lag, while the move itself lasts around .75 second. Characters who come into contact with his tail take 11-15% and trip, if no damage is added. If so, the tail starts slamming foes away horizontally, with the potential to KO around 75% after enough damage is added. Although the move is rather slow, opponents may still be hit if they try spot-dodging (or even rolling if they're too close), due to the large hitbox being out so long and hitting all around Rex.

Up Smash - Sinking Your Teeth In
Rex rears upward, opening his jaws and taking a large bite out of the air above him, with .3 second lag on both ends. If he catches a victim, he'll chomp down on them for 10-14%, launching them a set distance vertically. A nice tool to set up for U-Tilt, but surely no KO move, right? Well, you guessed it; add some damage to it, and Rex's bite starts launching foes to a vertical KO at around 80%. Although this Smash is Rex's weakest, it's also his fastest; just possessing it with added damage is enough to intimidate foes out of the air. Rex can hold his own in the air, but his slow ground attacks are little defense against lightweights too wussy to come down and fight.

AERIALS

Neutral Air - Flail
Rex flails his tiny arms around, scratching characters at a very close range multiple times. There is little lag on either end of the move, but you won't actually be using it to hit characters. I mean, how useful can four hits 2-3% without knockback be? First of all, Rex's pitiful tiny hitboxes here are tempting for foes to attack through (which they can do with ease), only for Rex to absorb their hit with Neutral Special (he doesn't go helpless in the air after using it, fortunately). This isn't reliable enough for you? Read on...

Rex's aerial game can play a big part in adding damage to his Smashes: for every second he remains airborne, 1% is added to a Smash, due to Rex's fear of heights. This aerial can be used multiple times to keep Rex flailing around in the air, slowly adding damage to a Smash. The best part is...he takes no damage doing so, while damage is still added to a Smash.

This is definitely incentive for characters to approach Rex and get him out of the air, opening up more opportunities for Rex to absorb their hits. He can't really play a match adding damage to Smashes by staying airborne alone, as he lacks sufficient spacing moves, and the damage doesn't build quite fast enough this way.

Forward/Back Air - Tail Copter
Rex simply spins to face the opposite direction of the move input, smacking characters with his tail in the process. His tail deals 10% and a bit of set knockback, reaching out quite a ways to strike characters. Rex has a bit of ending lag to deal with, but if he manages to perform it multiple times in a row (around three or four), the ending lag will evaporate, as Rex begins spinning around like a helicopter, having lost control of his momentum.

Spinning in such a fashion both slows Rex's fall (much more than spamming N-Air) and defends him with a high priority hitbox. While spinning, Rex can slowly move back and forth; this is more to avoid characters attacking your from underneath (where you -are- vulnerable), as Rex may not have the time to activate this as a recovery. Rex can cancel the spin any time by air-dodging, returning him to his regular aerial state. Characters will definitely want to get Rex out of the air before he starts spinning, preventing him from staying up there and buffing his Smashes without the risk of being clobbered.

Up Air - Fearful Flip
Rex attempts to perform a bicycle kick and hit characters with his tail (takes .2 second), only to fail and start falling mid-way through the move at Toon Link's D-Air speed. While Rex is falling, 3% per half second is added to a Smash of his. He has high priority as he falls, but a truckload of ending lag to compensate. Characters who hit Rex take 13-14% and are spiked, although Rex will KO himself as well if he attempts this offstage. Your best use of this alternative to staying in the air as long as possible is when facing aerial characters who can own you out of the latter. This way, you still buff your Smashes a bit, while keeping yourself in their territory for a much shorter period of time.

Down Air - Tail Pogo
Rex points his tail downwards and plummets to the ground, with minimal startup lag. His tail deals 12% and spikes characters it hits, but you won't be using this to actually hit characters most of the time. Trying to second-guess the reason for this? It's not typical heavyweight landing lag that's the problem, if that's what you're thinking; you'll actually be wanting to land while using this move, most of the time.

When Rex hits the ground, he suffers a small bit of lag, before springing double the height from which he fell before initiating the move. Considering Rex's jumps are far from suitable for getting into the air, where he can stack some damage onto a Smash, he can perform a D-Air or two to get up there, before using any other aerial to supplement this aerial portion of his game. You'll want to use this before your opponent gets to you, though, considering they can simply punish your landing lag at close range, as minute as it is.

BASIC ATTACKS

Jab - Sticking Your Neck Out
Rex extends his neck half a Battlefield platform and begins spinning his head around and around at a moderate pace. This deals around 4-5% to characters, while pushing them away slightly, a bit like Dedede's jab. Rex can't build damage nearly as well with this move, although he can still hold it out for up to five seconds to trap characters against a wall. Generally, Rex will want to use this move out of Neutral Special, to extend his hurtbox to enemy attacks. If used out of Neutral Special, the super armor stays on Rex for as long as he holds this jab, subtly coaxing impatient foes into smacking him out of it.

Dash Attack - Fearful Charge
Rex performs a charge, essentially identical to Side Special, but with one key difference. The attack itself deals 1% and a tiny set knockback, and can be stopped by any attack, with Rex falling to the ground, just like Side Special. Considering both charging attacks are viable out of Neutral Special, however, Rex can toy with his opponent annoyingly, by mixing up which charge he uses.

You see, if a character lightly hits Rex out of dash attack while he has super armor, very little damage goes to a Smash of his. But the character has no way of knowing whether or not they'll need to hit Rex with a stronger move to avoid taking quite a bit of damage. This mindgame can be a valuable source of damage for Rex's Smashes, if you mix the charges up enough to confuse your rivals.

Forward Tilt - Cower
Rex waves his arms frantically, stepping backward in fear at Mario's walk after .25 second. By holding the input, Rex can cower backward as far as he wishes. The hitbox here is Rex's tail, which deals 6-7% and set backward knockback. Considering Rex's jab is sufficient enough for attacking from the front while extending his hurtbox forward, the lack of a hitbox in front of Rex is no issue here; instead, his backward movement opens other options for him.

Should Rex want to back carefully into an attack, rather than having to charge and turn around, or jump with Up Special and potentially miss the attack, this is your go-to tilt. If Rex ever wants to avoid an attack for any reason (you are unable to safely use Neutral Special and need to back away from conflict), he can simply back out, defending himself from behind in the process.

Down Tilt - Panic
Rex begins screaming and stomping his feet in terror, with the startup lag of Hand Slap. His stomping creates shockwaves on either side of him slightly smaller than said attack, albeit with a different effect. Rex's shockwaves deal 5% and knock characters into their downed position, from where they have four options; stand up, roll left or right, or use a get-up attack. Rex can use Neutral Special to absorb the damage from the latter, buffing a Smash a bit more. Also, if he can read the opponent and predict which of the other three actions they will perform, he can punish their movement with an attack (maybe a powered-up Smash?).

Up Tilt - Surprise
Rex yelps in shock and springs up a Ganondorf and a half, before crashing down; this action takes place over slightly longer than a second. There are a few different hitboxes on this move; Rex jumping up deals 8% and low vertical knockback, while Rex's underside as he falls deals 10% and knockback that KOs around 165%. If a character is standing under Rex as he lands, they are buried in the dirt temporarily.

As with D-Tilt, Rex has various uses for this move throughout matches. Obviously, it can pop characters into the air, which may prompt them to use an attack you can absorb with super armor (imagine the look on Ganondorf's face when his stomp backfires on him so egregiously). If Rex uses this move while he has super armor, the armor stays out as Rex falls, and even as he lands, preventing foes from punishing this ordinarily laggy move without contributing to his Smashes in the process. Finally, if he ends up burying some gullible opponent, Rex can easily blast them out of the ground with a Smash to their vulnerable mug. Of note, Rex can cancel his jump at its apex, not going helpess; this can be a nice set-up for bounding into the air with D-Air.

GRAB AND THROWS

Grab - Hug
Rex walks forward a Stage Builder block, reaching out with his tiny arms to attempt to grab a foe (how could he ever hope to do so by remaining stationary?). If used from a dash, Rex walks forward double the distance at a slightly faster rate while grabbing. He has about .3 second ending lag here, but very little starting up. Rex holds characters tightly against his plastic body once they're in his grasp.

Pummel - Shake
Rex shakes his victim up and down vigorously, dealing 1-2%. He can shake a character fairly rapidly, and if he manages to get in three or more shakes in a grab, his victim will become dizzy upon release.

Forward Throw - Light Toss
Rex attempts to toss his opponent forward like Bowser, but his tiny arms give out halfway through, dropping his victim a short distance in front of him in a prone position. This 'throw' deals 4%. Although they're just far enough away to prevent an immediate re-grab, Rex can easily follow up this throw with a charging move (Side Special or dash attack), no matter how his opponent reacts. They'll be pressed to defend quickly when you charge, buffing your Smashes a little more.

Back Throw - Dizzy Dino
Rex spins around three times before releasing his opponent behind him, dealing 7% to them and causing them to spin in a cartoony blur for a second. Spinning characters become a hitbox, dealing 5% and light knockback to whoever they hit. Rex can either follow up on his spinning victim with an F-Tilt, or simply use Neutral Special in front of the victim to stack damage onto a Smash.

Down Throw - Weak Knees
Rex moans, as his knees give out and he collapses on his victim, putting them both in a prone position, albeit with Rex on top. This deals 9% to the victim and pins them down, preventing them from rolling away or standing up. They're left with two options: they can use a get-up attack to knock Rex off, or grab him and throw him away. Rex can either use Neutral Special from the ground to add the damage of his victim's get-up attack to a Smash or activate the super armor while being held to absorb their throw's damage.

Up Throw - Chew Hurl
Rex grabs his victim in his teeth and hurls them up a short distance, dealing 7% in the process. Rex can follow this attack up with an U-Tilt, or simply sit back and wait for opponents to try and attack him from above, and absorb their damage when they try.

FINAL SMASH

Final Smash - Insecurity
Rex lets out a loud roar with the echoing Final Smash effect, but upon hearing it echo back at him, Rex loses it. You see, his greatest fear is that he'll be overshadowed and replaced by a scarier dino toy. As a result of his fear, Rex has constant super armor for fifteen seconds. Just like with Neutral Special, any attacks that hit Rex have their damage transferred to a Smash of his.

Speaking of Neutral Special, during this Final Smash, it causes Rex to scream in horror in place, with little lag on either end. During his scream, 3% per second is added to a Smash of Rex's, not damaging him in the process. If characters run and hide from Rex, rendering his super armor buff useless, he can simply sit back and add damage to his Smashes, still benefiting from the Final Smash.

PLAYSTYLE

Despite being a large heavyweight, Rex has the misfortune of lacking a KO move, initially. Of course, this is where adding damage to your Smashes comes into play. Whenever Rex takes damage during Neutral Special, damage is added to the next Smash he uses, accompanied by extra knockback. Rex can also award damage to a Smash by remaining airborne as well, although it accumulates very slowly up there. Rex will need to focus on adding sufficient damage to a Smash to KO his opponent, then landing the Smash.

At the start of most matches, Rex will want to get into the air to get damage onto his Smashes before his opponent closes the gap between them. The damage Rex adds to his Smashes in the air won't be added to his percentage, so it's always good to get some damage stacked on early up there, so you'll have to endure less damage from opponents to power your Smashes. Use D-Air, possibly preceded by an U-Tilt, to get airborne, then use N-Air or a F-Air/B-Air copter to stay there as long as possible. If your opponent is an aerial character who wants you in their territory to begin with, get up and drop down with U-Air, still adding some damage to a Smash, but not staying airborne long enough for them to take advantage of you.

When the time comes to stand up to some damage, Rex must play slightly differently, depending on his opponent. You see, he'll want to add enough damage to his Smashes to be able to KO his opponent, but not so much that his opponent will have an easy time finishing Rex off in return. Remember, he's got super armor, not invincibility; he takes the damage that's added to his Smashes from attacks. Facing lighter characters, you won't need to take much more than 15% before Rex will be able to send them flying. Against other heavy brutes, 25% or higher may be needed to launch them. Considering how light characters use weaker attacks, and vice versa, this isn't difficult to account for, but must be accounted for nevertheless.

Now, onto what attacks you'll want to absorb. Rex will always want to attempt to absorb one-hit attacks; if he attempts to use Neutral Special on, say, Fox's jab, he'll absorb maybe 2% from one hit, then get ***** by the remaining hits due to his size. That said, combo characters are annoying for Rex to face; sometimes, he's left with no choice but to space from them with Down Special and add damage to his Smashes in the air. Against other characters, however, one or two slow single hits absorbed will be enough to power yourself up sufficiently.

Now, Rex will have a lot of trouble getting damage added to his Smashes if all he does is jump at characters and use Neutral Special. This is where Rex's positioning game comes in. Rex has several attacks that can be used out of Neutral Special to position him in the range of an enemy attack. He can use Up Special to leap into an attack (a short-hopped aerial, perhaps), jab to lean into one, F-Tilt to back into a move, or U-Tilt to leap up into one. Because the former two can be held out, retaining their super armor all the while, Rex can use these moves a bit more liberally; if his foe punishes him, they'll be contributing to Rex's power in the long run. All these moves can also be used after Rex has sufficient damage on his Smashes to move Rex out of harm's way; you don't want to be taking more damage than is necessary, of course.

Another form of positioning involves Rex putting his opponent in a situation where they are likely to attack. If you use either Side Special or Dash Attack out of Neutral Special, your opponent will become flustered, not knowing whether you are using a powerful damaging move that they need to defend against or a mere joke attack. Use these two moves enough throughout your match and your opponent will most likely use a strong attack to stop Rex, with him automatically stacking its damage onto a Smash. Other opponent-positioning moves include D-Tilt, B-Throw and D-Throw, which put Rex in a prime position to absorb their get-up attack, or U-Tilt and U-Throw, which allow Rex to take in any moves they try to rain down on him with.

Now that Rex has enough damage to score a KO, he's got to land that finishing blow he's worked so hard on powering up. You never want to just throw out your Smash lest you risk wasting all your extra damage and knockback. Before using his Smash, Rex will want to stun his opponent to ensure a direct hit. D-Tilt puts opponents in their prone position, U-Tilt can bury them, and multiple pummels and B-Throw flat out stun characters, giving Rex a clear shot at them. Play it safe and land one of these, to ensure your added damage gets put to good use.

Rex plays quite differently from the average heavyweight; his potential power is unlimited, considering there's no limit on how much damage he can absorb. However, his path to achieving enough power to win a match can be quite rocky. You've got to learn how to take hits, which hits to take, and when to say enough is enough and finish your opponent off. Judging these facets of a Rex match can be annoying to adapt to against different characters, and takes practice in some cases. Many Rex match-ups depend on what kind of punches his opponent throws, and how well Rex can adapt to them.

EXTRAS

Up Taunt - Fearsome Foe
Rex cocks his head to the side and asks his opponent, "Did I scare you?"

Side Taunt - Pacifism
Rex backs up a step, waving his arms and calling out, "I don't like confrontations!"

Down Taunt - Great Unknown
Rex raises his arms and yells, "I hate all this uncertainty!"

Entrance - Disguised Dino
Rex tries to sneak onstage unnoticed, holding up a bundle of leaves to take on the appearance of a bush. Unfortunately for him, the leaves fall out of his arms and blow away, bit by bit, until he is left holding a single leaf. Rex chucks it away with a nervous laugh, as the fight begins.

Victory Pose #1 - Jumping for Joy
Rex jumps around onstage, yelling "Hooray!" and creating small shockwaves as he goes.

Victory Pose #2 - Triumphant Roar
Rex opens his jaws and lets loose an echoing realistic roar, before looking into the camera anxiously.

Victory Pose #3 - Shocking Win
Rex claps his hands and says, "I did it...I finally won!" in utterly disbelief. He then collapses to the ground, weak at the knees, but stays conscious, a little smile on his face.

Loss Pose - Solemnity
Rex claps his tiny hands, more solemn than scared while doing so due to having lost.

justaway12

Smash Master
ROB is SUCH a beast. He NEEDS to return.

But anyway my previous idea...

1. All stages are grounded stages. Side KOs and Sky KOs only, except for some that have holes in the floor, or in half the screen, like a mountain or something.

2. Characters have more power, more speed. They can jump higher abd can be bigger or smaller so they can be more accurate with strength, abilities, speed, and jump height. Special attacks and final smashes are more devestating.

3. Overall make it an extreme fighting game in superspeed.
i'll try and offer some suggestions to make it better (hopefully this works better than last time)

i like the first idea first idea i can't tell you how many time my peach died because she fell by accident although i think that more stages should have it, stages like final destination should stay the same as long as they add a lip or something

i like the more power for some characters ideas *cough*peach*cough* don't have kill moves but her small jump is good not for recovering but for spacing/dodging i like your ideas exept for that jumping thing but maybe I'm being bias

it sound like your describing fast mode in melee i think it should be kept the speed the same as melee other than that is it's a great idea

majora_787

Smash Hero
i'll try and offer some suggestions to make it better (hopefully this works better than last time)

i like the first idea first idea i can't tell you how many time my peach died because she fell by accident although i think that more stages should have it, stages like final destination should stay the same as long as they add a lip or something

i like the more power for some characters ideas *cough*peach*cough* don't have kill moves but her small jump is good not for recovering but for spacing/dodging i like your ideas exept for that jumping thing but maybe I'm being bias

it sound like your describing fast mode in melee i think it should be kept the speed the same as melee other than that is it's a great idea
What I mean by faster paced is fast running like in Melee, fast falling, and fast attacking. That's all, not like UUUUUBER speed or anything.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Overseen Chainthrowers will rule the tiers. Maybe make it more like Rumble Falls in the sense you see a platform across the whole screen but it ends right there, and then the blast zone is a little further.

Can anybody think of something that can give short range characters something to fight against long range with?

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I don't think that they should attempt to balance SSB4 100%. Even four tourney viable characters would be fine with me. If your main is low tier, then just go to a low tier tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom