• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Major announcement:

After talking it several other SSB64 TOs from the Northeast, HYRULE IS BANNED FOR APEX 2014

So, mentioned Hyrule was banned on stream, Alex Strife says "no official rulesets have been put out yet for Apex". He and others in the stream seemed confused at this announcement.

So, now I DEMAND details on how this decision came about and if it's real or not, because this is kinda feeling off now.

nintendude banned it.

I get the concept, it's just odd that when I said it Alex Strife himself said there was nothing for sure on rules yet for Apex.

It's why I'm even MORE interested in how this decision came to be, I think we are owed a better explanation is all, it surprised a LOT of stream people actually.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Nintendude has a history of doing things on his own, so he might have lied to please the community. who knows.

Maliki

Smash Ace
I read a comment on Facebook that Alex had written that said something like I haven't heard of this decision it might not be true.

But who knows..

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
seems you are too new to be demanding things...?

I demand whatever I want :p

I had an older account admittedly and the email that made it no longer existed and I couldn't get the password, so I just made a new one. Still, isn't it a bit weird that all we know is some unnamed TOs agreed to ban it when Alex Strife HIMSELF said that the rulesets hadn't been finalized yet? Some people may actually not go to Apex because of Hyrule being banned (which I think is kinda silly but still) it's worth having the whole truth here.

I read a comment on Facebook that Alex had written that said something like I haven't heard of this decision it might not be true.

But who knows..
It was the Crossfire 3 stream, should have taken a screen shot now that I think about it. He was commenting under the stream's name and talking about some Apex stuff. The most I can say is ask people at the stream if Alex was talking there, though they showed him ON STREAM so I'm guessing you'd get a yes on that.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i just realized knitephox has been here since 2005.

yet he seems like he joined around when i did

:awesome:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
what about if you dont feel the need to post in everythread and comment on everything? look at kefit, i think hes under 1k posts and joined in 03

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
With Isai maybe not going you may cut half your players from going. Some come just to see him play and play him. I will hope we can still get Peru to come with hyrule banned..

The Star King

Smash Hero
You thinking that'll stop HALF of Smash 64 players from going is even more laughable than you threatening to not go because of keyboards, which is saying something.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
You thinking that'll stop HALF of Smash 64 players from going is even more laughable than you threatening to not go because of keyboards, which is saying something.
Half maybe a bit much yes, but only time will tell. Yeah I did at one point in time say I would not go due to keyboards. But that has changed I don't really care what rules we have. I go for one reason and that's to play my friends who I have met over the years playing smash and hang out with them as I only get to see them only one time a year.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
It was a collective decision between chain ace, sensei, and myself. We are the TOs that run virtually all Atl North ssb tourneys. that said tho strife has final say on rules (thats why its not "official") and we are taking the initial feedback into consideration.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It was a collective decision between chain ace, sensei, and myself. We are the TOs that run virtually all Atl North ssb tourneys. that said tho strife has final say on rules (thats why its not "official") and we are taking the initial feedback into consideration.

MUCH better explanation. Do that next time.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
a few polls have been made in the past about whether or not hyrule should be legal as well as several other ruleset changes (4-stock, zebes). Every time this happens the losing side will say something along the lines of "half the people that voted don't even enter tourneys so why should their vote count", which is a pretty valid point but at the same time i feel like the competitive community as a whole should have a say about this issue, not just the TO's. This might sound crazy but why don't we hold a vote AT APEX over the ruleset? That way those actually competing will have a say and no one else. of course the ruleset needs to be in place in advanced so it wouldn't effect Apex 2014, but the results of the poll could be used for future Apex and possibly for other tourneys.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
problem is, marbles, probably half the people that go to apex aren't really "competitive" players. apex could very well be their first/only tournament. if we look at the list of people who got 65th/49th and have no smashboards account or haven't ever been to a tourney in their region...should their votes matter? more or less than online only players? or how should votes be weighed for the semi-competitive people who only do two or three tourneys a year?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
problem is, marbles, probably half the people that go to apex aren't really "competitive" players. apex could very well be their first/only tournament. if we look at the list of people who got 65th/49th and have no smashboards account or haven't ever been to a tourney in their region...should their votes matter? more or less than online only players? or how should votes be weighed for the semi-competitive people who only do two or three tourneys a year?
well their votes SHOULD matter more since they are actually competing, even if they aren't very good. Not having a smashboards account doesn't = not affected. It's probably safe to say that a lot of those names from 49th/65th will come up again this year. Maybe the vote should only effect Apex tho.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i wasn't referring to skill really, i meant like, there was a guy SHYGUY88 who didn't have a controller and entered literally every event at apex. sure, he competED, but i wouldn't say he was competiTIVE. there even some groups of people from oos who i spoke to who said they just wanted to enter for fun.

shruggggg

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i wasn't referring to skill really, i meant like, there was a guy SHYGUY88 who didn't have a controller and entered literally every event at apex. sure, he competED, but i wouldn't say he was competiTIVE. there even some groups of people from oos who i spoke to who said they just wanted to enter for fun.

shruggggg
I see the point you are making. It still seems like a good solution to me. You obviously can't pick and choose who does and doesn't get to vote, but we could tell everyone that these proposed rule changes are very important to the community so you should only vote if you are serious about smash 64. I'm guessing the majority of those types of players that you mentioned would abstain.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I thought Isai wasn't a "tournament player" and much prefers friendlies. Why would the tourney ruleset affect his going or not? 12 char battles still start on Hyrule!

Sedda

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, are people going to be using keyboard adapters in this tourny? I wanna see SK pwn some people

Skyfire

Smash Rookie
I find a good DL fox more intimidating than a good fox on Hyrule. Fox is a character that can be on top of you nonstop and be everywhere at the same time. For me, I find it harder to catch a breath and not be smothered nonstop on DL due to the smaller stage.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yobolight and I have a Money Match with the following conditions.

$100.
Apex 2014 rules (Hyrule banned).
I can't use Falcon.
3 out of 5.

Top Bottom