• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon Fighter For Smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
He's not just murdered, he's also sadistically cut open and ravished so he'll never be able to be in a Smash game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Come one, people. Don't lose hope just because Villager references Balloon Fight.

He also hits with boxing gloves, yet Little Mac supporters aren't even bothered by this.

And remember there are other characters sharing moves that aren't necessarily clones:

-Charizard and Bowser (Flamethrower)
-Squirtle and Mario (Water gun and FLUDD)
-Kirby and Dedede (both have a hammer, both suck, both have multi jumps)
-Luigi and Pikachu (side B is essentially the same with different animations)
-Link and Pit (kinda)
-Jigglypuff and Sonic (rollout and spindash1 and spindash2)

So yeah... don't stop flapping those arms and keep supporting Balloon Fighter. He's as much of a Nintendo icon as Little Mac, the guy has had so many cameos lately... even a whole Nintendo Land segment dedicated to him.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I'm still holding out for Balloon Fighter. He's the one character I dearly hope makes it into the roster. I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

But who knows, what if Balloon's Fighter final smash was making everyone flying around on Balloon and you had to pop them?

Again, not getting my hopes up, just wishful thinking.

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
Anyone who wants Alice from Balloon Kid (including myself), are in bad luck, because I assume that Balloon Kid is more of a spin-off than a sequel to Balloon Fight, and it was mainly marketed towards the North American audience (yeah I know there's Balloon Fight GB). Along with that, a Balloon Fighter is more prominent due to being included in the WarioWare series, e-Reader cards, NES Classics for GBA and so on. Although Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB have high ratings in the Nintendo eShop, that doesn't help enough, because I heard that VC sales don't count.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I preferred Alice because:

-She´s a little girl, and we only have Nana for that
-She has a backstory, something Balloon Fighter lacks.
-She can handle herself without balloons, where as BF would simply die.
-She has actual foes and a nemesis too.
-Pencilvania would make a terrific stage.

.. But I've LOOONG since given up on Alice, and I've started approving of the regular Balloon Fight, just for how iconic he is. I don't even think Villager ruins his chances.

Besides, I think both are competing with Tingle as well. :(

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think I'm in the small boat of people that actually feel like Villager having the balloons increases balloon fighters chances.

I'm not as sold on him as I am for Little Mac, But I would not be surprised at all if Little Mac and Balloon Fighter got announced and Sakurai was like "I already hinted at them why did you doubt it??".

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think I'm in the small boat of people that actually feel like Villager having the balloons increases balloon fighters chances.

I'm not as sold on him as I am for Little Mac, But I would not be surprised at all if Little Mac and Balloon Fighter got announced and Sakurai was like "I already hinted at them why did you doubt it??".

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Maybe the Balloon fighter can be an AT...

Maybe... definitely seems like a low power AT, but that's totally fine.

I think I'd like to see his balloons as an equippable item that lets you jump infinitely and fall slowly until someone pops them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Would be great. Balloon Fighter is WAY too iconic to be cast aside by another character. This is one thing that doesn't help me like Animal Crossing one single bit more.

I don't think Villager raises nor decreases BF's chances. If anything, I bet BF could be unlocked in an event where you have to beat him as Villager.

It would be a real missed opportunity not to have him around yet again.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I really don't think Balloon Fighter's chances are affected at all by Villager's move.

In fact, I think Balloon Fighter's quirks with the balloons is right up his alley.

Like he can have a move that inflates balloons, and his balloons can act as their own hurtbox that would get popped. So he'd have to blow up more balloons.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know, I never did post this here. Oh well, better late than never I suppose. Obviously no obligation to use it or anything Wario Bros. but I might as well share it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Does anyone know where that render is from? That's not the Melee trophy.

Also, what is he wearing around his neck? That scarf-like thing? Was he hanging around the Icicle Mountains looking for the Giant Fish?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's where the render is from. Pretty much the only good 3D art of Balloon Fighter.

As for what's around his neck... your guess is a good as mine. Some fuzzy collar thing I guess. :laugh:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ever since I saw the trailer with villager with the balloon fighter hat his chances went ker plop now the Mach rider gets a spot light he would get In the same way has Capt. falcon

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Count me in as a supporter. I'm currently underway of attempting to make a comic of forgotten Nintendo heroes. Guess who's a member? He's one of 9 heroes who have to stop some forgotten villains and save the heroes who's shadows they live in. And, yeah, the leader's Ninten. So I think it's going to be good.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Count me in as a supporter. I'm currently underway of attempting to make a comic of forgotten Nintendo heroes. Guess who's a member? He's one of 9 heroes who have to stop some forgotten villains and save the heroes who's shadows they live in. And, yeah, the leader's Ninten. So I think it's going to be good.

Heh, I had a similar project. I've kind of preferred not going on with it, but just because I found it to be a little bit deep in development, I decided to at least finish the first chapter.

But do PM me when you're done with yours. :)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
PM me when done.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
AEM/Ariand had a pretty incredible moveset for this character way back on one of the old SSF2 forums. It was honestly one of the best movesets I've ever sen for any character. He's a member here, did he not post it here?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Thought I'd post this here as some fan-art...

Worked pretty hard on it, I may make separate pics for each character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thought I'd post this here as some fan-art...

Worked pretty hard on it, I may make separate pics for each character.

Looks sweet!!! :O

Is that DK jr, and Geno on the sides?
Love how much personality Stanley appears to have. :D And well, Mike looking pimp as always with the baseball bat.

Already mentioned this before but... dat villain team. (I can't believe I forgot who the bird-looking guy at the top right was)

Can't quite take BF seriously looking menacing while holding a balloon out, though. But that's part the fun of course. XD

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Looks sweet!!! :O

Is that DK jr, and Geno on the sides?
Love how much personality Stanley appears to have. :D And well, Mike looking pimp as always with the baseball bat.

Already mentioned this before but... dat villain team. (I can't believe I forgot who the bird-looking guy at the top right was)

Can't quite take BF seriously looking menacing while holding a balloon out, though. But that's part the fun of course. XD

You spoiled everything XD. Balloon Fighter is supposed to be a comic relief character, in some ways, always talking about his air-ventures. And, yes, if the star and J didn't give it away. yes, that IS DK Junior and Geno. So much for secrets anymore. Maybe I shouldn't have made it so obvious.

Well, off to write the first chapter.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You spoiled everything XD. Balloon Fighter is supposed to be a comic relief character, in some ways, always talking about his air-ventures. And, yes, if the star and J didn't give it away. yes, that IS DK Junior and Geno. So much for secrets anymore. Maybe I shouldn't have made it so obvious.

Well, off to write the first chapter.

Aww... I'm going to edit my last post. :(

You're talking to the SSB community here, lol. We can see characters in inanimate CLOUDS for pete's sake. XD

But again, it looks great!

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
Seriously??? A character that from a game where you are not supposed to touch the ground and just runs into enemies Lack of Moveset Potential. How can you have a character to not touch the ground makes more sense as an assist trophy. The balloons are a move for the village most likely due to his lack of moveset potential. Also I think bubbles has more references than Balloon Fighter:
Trophy in melee
Unira as an item in Brawl
Clu Clu Land music in Brawl
Unlockable playable in DK king of the Swing
Appears in 9volt/18volt mini games as a cameo

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Seriously??? A character that from a game where you are not supposed to touch the ground and just runs into enemies Lack of Moveset Potential. How can you have a character to not touch the ground makes more sense as an assist trophy. The balloons are a move for the village most likely due to his lack of moveset potential. Also I think bubbles has more references than Balloon Fighter:
Trophy in melee

Says the guy with the Malon thread.

(I'm not going to argue with you about potential, because others can prove it for me, so have fun avoiding a large amount of researched valid points against you. No pressure.)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Trophy in melee
Balloon Fighter has had:
  • Trophy in Melee
  • Flipper as an item in Melee
  • Music in both Melee and Brawl
  • A Game Boy sequel to his game
  • Semi-playable appearances in Wario Ware: Twisted and Smooth Moves
  • An homage in Tingle's Balloon Fight
Have you ever played Balloon Fight? Touching the ground is perfectly acceptable, and at times, strategically valid. Besides, even if what you said were true, a character who can't touch the ground and simply rams into enemies is no more lacking in moveset potential than Bubbles, who just turns around in circles and shoots.
Not that I have anything against Bubbles of course. Clu Clu Land is a good game and a pretty notable retro title in Nintendo's catalogue. But what makes it more qualified than Balloon Fight? This is the game that is referenced on a constant basis by the company, always available as a re-release on every platform they produce, and likely overshadows even Ice Climber in terms of popularity.
I know I probably just fed a troll, but whatever. This thread got bumped recently. Might as well contribute. I've always supported the Balloon Fighter. Always have, and likely always will, though my morale has been shot by the Villager's recovery move. On a related note, it's interesting that Villager has such a move to begin with. There are certainly other possibilities for an Animal Crossing-inspired recovery, but they went with a direct Balloon Fight reference instead. This only further expands on my point: Balloon Fight is an important title to Nintendo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
To be fair, the NES games given to members of the Ambassador program were Super Mario Bros., Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II - The Adventure of Link, Ice Climber, Yoshi, Donkey Kong Jr., NES Open Tournament Golf, Wrecking Crew, and, you guessed it, Balloon Fighter.

Obviously, that's recent proof that they hold Balloon Fighter in as high a regard as titles like Ice Climber and Yoshi at least.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
BF also had representation in Tetris DS

And more importantly, NintendoLand.

Denying Balloon Fight's importance is just silly. It's perhaps the most important retro franchise (outside Punch Out, but P.O. is no longer considered retro)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I feel like Balloon's Fighters importance is enough to translate into a Smash character. But I'll still be hell confused why Sakurai gave Villager the "Balloon Fighter" move.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I would still consider Balloon Fighter to be a very viable candidate if the Villager was not given the Balloon Fighter helmet. That makes me think that Sakurai considers Balloon Fighter fairly insignificant or just difficult to make a moveset for.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
BF also had representation in Tetris DS

And more importantly, NintendoLand.

Denying Balloon Fight's importance is just silly. It's perhaps the most important retro franchise (outside Punch Out, but P.O. is no longer considered retro)

I just like the fact that silver Warp Pipes are in Balloon Fight.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
You know, I never did post this here. Oh well, better late than never I suppose. Obviously no obligation to use it or anything Wario Bros. but I might as well share it.

Thats just freaking awesome.

Balloons gimmicks have a great ground to work and we can definitely have at least 4 characters with that feature.
I also think villager acutally gives some hope on the character, but in my opinion, takamaru takes the lead in this smash.

Maybe next time, but i support anyways, pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom