• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
"Whats a good way to greet your opponent before you're about to brawl?"

Heey! *Start a nice chat*
----
Lets kick some @$$!
---
Show me your moves!
---
Just be nice

"Whats a bad way to? Examples? etc."

Hey, I'm gonna *** you up!
---
WTFFF, YOU'RE PLAYING WITH *charachter*?!?! WHAHAHAHA!!!
---
I will win anyway. You just suck
---
Fight me.
---
Are you my oppenent? You must be joking!
---
*Pick Meta Knight*
---
Be an @$$h0le.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
One of the best ways to introduce yourself is be polite. Simply a "hi, how are you?" and that works wonders. If conversation starts, then keep going with it! Get a chance? Swap names!

Bad way is to look down on the people you're talking to. Any trash talking should not be done (unless both players clearly know its kidding around), because if you do, you can ONLY win. Otherwise, hello to your new rep as a player who can't back his/her words up. And if you win, you may get your name out there, but you'll become notorious for being an arrogant jerk.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I've always wondered, if you were to wear say something like a gorilla suit to a tourny, would people pay attention and be nice to you? Would it be disrespectful to be really good and wear something like that and potentially embarass someone? Don't worry, I don't plan on doing this...just, would it be respectful? (Assuming you say the regular "Hi, nice to meet you." etc.)

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I've always wondered, if you were to wear say something like a gorilla suit to a tourny, would people pay attention and be nice to you? Would it be disrespectful to be really good and wear something like that and potentially embarass someone? Don't worry, I don't plan on doing this...just, would it be respectful? (Assuming you say the regular "Hi, nice to meet you." etc.)
I don't see why it would be disrespectful, unless they start using their clothes and looks as a means of bashing people, THEN its bad.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Against an MK hater...

Me: *picks MK*
Them: Aww what the f***! You use MK, that broken son of a Sakurai!
Me: April fools, son. *picks other character*
Them: Why you little...
Me: DO A BARREL ROLL!!!! (out of randomness)

I have a messed up mind.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Mr. Numbers dude, lets again not involve Metaknight in this. Too many people have too many different views on it, and we don't need this thread to go up in flamers from either side. Plenty of people think he's broken, and plenty of people have no problem with him. I certainly know I don't. But again, that's a conversation for a Metaknight Pro/Anti Thread, not a Brawl Common Courtesy Thread.

Greeting people in Brawl. If you don't know anyone around you, you can be all alone and to yourself. You appear to be Emo, but there's not necesarally a problem with that. People have talked about Cockiness alot too, ergo "YOU PICKED "Insert character here"? N00B IMA PWN YOU! :p ", or other examples such as that. People like that need to remember IT'S JUST A GAME! Until you get good enough to be in tournaments where $500+ is the grandprize (which by then, you'll probably be too focused on your own game to try to do it), being braggy or cocky is going to end up getting your butt handed to you on a silver-smash themed-platter. There are very few times where the cocky person makes it to the end and wins. He/she usually gets his/her mouth shut up pretty fast, and then storms out after knocking over someone's drink. :p This is one of the few areas I admit I have a problem with. I usually open up to people nicely (because they notice my music, or are already talking about something I know), but then once the tournament officially begins, I tell them how I'm going to ace it, and I start freaking out and everything. But I don't let it get too out of control, and I tell my next opponent how I'm sorry if I've done anything rude, and that I hope for a Good Game. I then extend my arm, and wait for a hand-shake, which from most players usually comes within seconds. Serious people, I just smile and say goodluck, expecting an uber intense match from, and if I find someone as cocky as me, I stop talking, pick my person, and end their miserable existance as soon as possible. At that point, I tell them (shut the door on the way out. It's cold outside), and go find the nearest drink. :p If people can learn to restrain themselves, even telling someone "I'm gonna win this" usually isn't disrespectful. It's just confidence. As long as you aren't being a jack-butt (the real word is censored on here), and you typically know when you are being one, you can talk about as much trash as you want, beginning, middle, or end, of a match. Just make sure you have the skills to back that mouth up. :p (something else I say a lot, when I know it's from a respectful player)

And as for the picture for this, I still think the one with Wolf giving the Bird next one of the Heroes bowing or doing a graceful pose would be a good image for the Origonal Post.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, I was at my first tournament a few months ago. Most of my matches started the same.

"Hey man, how's it going" or something along the lines of that

Make a little small-talk or whatever. I play the match, say "good games" and I usually chat with them for a bit. I played every person I played in the tourney in friendlies later that day and I became friends with a few of them too.

There are bad ways. It happened to me a few times.

"Hey, I ban Norfair, let's do double-blind"

They play their matches

"Good games" and they walk away.

Then there's also the smack-talking jerk who shows up. They're the worst. They're full of johns, insults, and are just plain rude.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
I think the best way to start a match is with a simple handshake and a statement of 'good luck' or some other encouraging words. I go to tournaments to meet with other smashers, have fun, and improve my game. People who trash talk and always give out johns take away from that spirit of having fun. I guess it depends on attitude, some people take smash very seriously. Personally, I just like to have fun with it, and will gladly shake the hand of a competitor who three stocked me and wish them well for the next match.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Don't annoy the opponent with your advice.
Like "I wouldn't pick *insert character here* if I were you."
Or "Are you SURE you want to pick *ICH*?"
"If you pick *ICH*, you're as good as dead."

I had this happen to me at my first tourney.
I hadn't played Brawl in like 4 weeks, and I forgot who I was best with.
My opponent was the champion of the tourney, and I was in the semifinals.
It really bore down into me as I fought, thinking "Should I have picked someone else?"
Sure, call it a john, but honestly.
Don't meddle with other people's affairs.
It can really get on their nerves, and can even screw up their gameplay.
But that's just my view.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it is a necessity to do 3 things before a match:

1) Introduce yourself. Unless you are playing pools, it's very likely you'll be fritzing about looking for your TV number/station and you might not be sure who you're playing. Once you get to the station, ask if that person is your opponent. If yes, handshake -> name (or smash name) -> maybe a little chit about how the tournament is going.

2) Wish your opponent best of luck. It might be a common thing to do, but at the very least it lets your opponent know that you want the best match from him he has to offer. There's also that awkward silence during the loading screen if you decide not to, so you'd have to deal with that as well.

3) Avoid the degrading comments. A little joke here or there is alright, or even one small remark during the match (extreme maybe here though), but there's no reason to down talk your opponent AT ALL. Besides, if you lose, it only makes you look foolish.

This experience is from only a handful of tournaments I've been to, though I really want to attend more >_<.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
NEVER go back to the character selection screen just to change colours when you/your opponent chooses the stage. It's ANNOYING.
Except for Co-Op Tournament Colors, I'm glad I never have that problem. White/Black Lucario looks awesome, and anyone who ways otherwise is a Heathen. :p But yeah, people should have their choices planned as soon as possible. All decisions should be final, since there is certainly no going back in batttle!

As for greeting people at tournaments, it depends on the maturity of your enemy... but still, unless you're including a dirty word that you know you shouldn't be saying at all, even saying "I'm gonna kick your butt!" can be acceptable, depending on how the person knows you feel about it or takes it. You could be saying that just to hype the battle or to boost either side's confidence, or to let your enemy know that you intend on being serious. And even that phrase, which can also be construed as an insult, is still okay. Alot of what you say is more dependent on how you get your message accross, rather than the message itself. A good guideline that I follow is this, and I know this doesn't apply to everything, but it's still good to use, none the less: Would you honestly speak to your Elders that way? That poor old Grandma that hasn't been out of her house since before the Kennedey years, would you say what you said the way you said it to her? If not, then you're probably saying or conveying your message bad. This doesn't apply quite to all, but it's still a good guide.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I can't wait to see what people have to say when we move on to something like when people trip.

Too bad that's even an option to consider, silly Sakurai.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Hmm, when I'm playing someone in a tourney that I don't know, I always start out with "Hey dude" and then follow that up with "what character do you use?" Because I'm interested in that! I don't ever tell them not to use a character, and I usually don't get too excited if they pick a low tier either - have you noticed that mid and low tier mains are usually REALLY good?

But I always say "good games" afterwards, and if there was something I noticed that the person could've done, but didn't, I'll tell them so!

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I can't wait to see what people have to say when we move on to something like when people trip.

Too bad that's even an option to consider, silly Sakurai.
I'm pretty sure we'll all agree that Tripping is stupid, but the chances of it happening apply to absolutely everyone, and completely equally, not to mention people can do dodges and attack once they've triped, so attacking someone who tripped is fine.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I'm pretty sure we'll all agree that Tripping is stupid, but the chances of it happening apply to absolutely everyone, and completely equally, not to mention people can do dodges and attack once they've triped, so attacking someone who tripped is fine.
Ice climbers trip twice as much as every other character in the game.
And they have ****ing CLEETS.
Uncoordinated much?

Scott!

Smash Lord
I thought Luigi had a 2% chance of tripping compared to the standard 1% of everyone else, or at least double the chance, whatever it is.

As for the IC, use the tripping to desynch! :D

Barge

Nana chooses the best time to trip.
During chain grabs, oh how wonderful she is.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
yeah i hate nana sometimes... lol... but at least when ice climbers trip... usually only one of them trips so the other one can still attack... :)

DyranMahBoooiii

Smash Cadet
I've never been to a tournament, I want to go to one, but I live in the suck town of Texas, and being 13, I can't really go anywhere. But I would just greet someone with a handshake, hello's and such. A bad greeting would be the middle finger.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Okay first off sorry I havent been on here reading and replying so much but ive been really trying hard in school and im always on the phone now. xD
BUT, I do keep up with updating the first post. (and I go back and read the posts on here)
So just wanted to tell you guys that a new topic is open now so check the first page.:

SECTION A- DISCUSSION 4: STARTS NOW.

Please send ideas for further weeks, expecially in section B. Thanks.

Barge

Yes, take advantage of their tripping, it leaves them wide open, and if you dont take that chance then you lost a chance at winning that game.
The trip doesn't last that long, if you react fast enough you can get back up quick.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I have KO'd someone due to tripping in a friendly and it just seems kind of stupid because they were Bowser and they had such a long lag they couldnt help that, that happened.

Barge

Blame sakurai, lolol.
But still, you shouldn't feel bad for attacking someone when they trip.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Tripping is dumb. I personally have no problems attacking someone when they do trip. But if hypothetically I was in the final round of a tournament, final match, I would have trouble getting the last KO due to a trip. If I'm going to win, I'd rather win for real rather that "lol he just won cause I tripped" johns. But if I were down, and it was my only chance, I'd probably go for it.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Tripping is stupid, and I believe that in tournament play it should be hacked out.

That being said, I take full advantage of anyone who trips if I have the chance and if I'm not playing like a moron. It sucks, but I'd expect them to do the very same to me. I've won a match because of tripping, and lost a match because of tripping. It happens, it sucks, but you have to capitalize on it when your opponent trips.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Sad to say, but its part of the game. Want to do well in tournaments? Gotta take advantage of the unlucky guy/gal that takes a spill.

A win is a win.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Tripping is dumb. I personally have no problems attacking someone when they do trip. But if hypothetically I was in the final round of a tournament, final match, I would have trouble getting the last KO due to a trip. If I'm going to win, I'd rather win for real rather that "lol he just won cause I tripped" johns. But if I were down, and it was my only chance, I'd probably go for it.
Agree. If I were against someone that I definitely know would blame me for winning just because he tripped, then I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of saying so.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I like Brawl. Despite some of the things that people object to, Brawl is my absolute favorite game.

However, Sakurai, you did a bad thing with tripping.... In the Cartoon World, that kinda thing would be okay, because the kiddy little characters usually always trip at the worst times... But in the Video Game World, especially in a fighting game (yes, I believe Smash is a fighting game), tripping is one of the most backwards and insane things you could put into the game.

That being said, everyone's chances of Tripping seems to be EXACTLY the SAME as everyone elses. I don't care that there's 2 IceClimbers, or that Luigi seems clumbsy. Show me some research to back up your claims that any character trips more than any other character. Until I see otherwize, it seems that the chances of a trip are the same to all. You know what that means? Tripping is fair. It's stupid, but it's fair. If the enemy is far enough away, you can still choose to get up and resume fighting. You're not going to be tripped into a trap (except by Diddy Kong and his Banana's, which is a viable technique for him), so it's not like tripping is the end of the world. Not to mention that you can do a rolling dodge from the trip, and you can even attack while getting up. I actually killed a Jigglypuff that misspaced it's Pound attack, trying to set me up for a combo. :p But still, tripping isn't the end of the world, you aren't defenseless by it, and it happens evenly to everyone. So if you see someone who trips, you shouldn't feel bad at all for Smashing them into next-week while they try to stumble back onto their feet. It can just as easily happen to you, it seems completely random, and it's not that big of a disadvantage to the trippie. So go ahead, and charge up that F-Smash, while the victim sees it and cusses under his/her breath for being unlucky enough to trip. Granted, being that it's a luck thing makes me hope that Sakurai takes it out of SSB4, assuming we get another one, but it's not really too much of a bad thing that it warrents too much attention. If you get Ko'ed while tripping yourself, its either a once in a match event, or you were probably at the point where you were about to die anyway. So don't get too mad, and just keep playing.

To Recap, Tripping is stupid, but it's fair, so punish someone for tripping, and try not to get punished too bad for it. Just hope that Lady-Luck is on yourside.

DyranMahBoooiii

Smash Cadet
Luigi trips twice as much as other characters. I think Sakurai may have even said that on Smash Dojo. Also, tripping has never been a big game-breaking occurence for me. It's annoying, yeah, but I don't see a really big deal with it.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I'd honestly like to see if anyone can compile any information about tripping. I tried looking through the Dojo, and couldn't find anything myeslf on the chances of it or who does it more or less than anyone else.

Edit: Thank's for the link, Ochobobo. That does seem to confirm how random tripping is. It doesn't confirm Luigi tripping more than anyone else though.... the only thing that says it is on Smash-Wikia, which I hope is more accurate than most Wiki's...

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably the only one to like thie inclusion of tripping coz I find it funny :D. But ye if given a chance I wud attack sum1 who's tripped over as tripping is just based on luck and can happen to you just as it has happened to your opponent. It doesn't even put the person who tripped at a severe disadvantage because you can roll or attack from a trip meaning your not as defenceless as you might appear. So In My opinion take full advantage if your opponent trips and don't have any regrets :)

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Aqua: next time you're at the same tournament as me and someone pulls some nonsense like they did to your brother let me know. There's no need for that kind of disrespect.

In fact, next time we're at the same tournament period let me sit down with you and/or your brother and I'll give you guys some pointers to try and help out. Real pros are nice guys , not *******s like that guy was. I hope that one guy didn't ruin the reputation of all of the people who really do play this game because they love it :)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I like Brawl. Despite some of the things that people object to, Brawl is my absolute favorite game.

However, Sakurai, you did a bad thing with tripping.... In the Cartoon World, that kinda thing would be okay, because the kiddy little characters usually always trip at the worst times... But in the Video Game World, especially in a fighting game (yes, I believe Smash is a fighting game), tripping is one of the most backwards and insane things you could put into the game.

That being said, everyone's chances of Tripping seems to be EXACTLY the SAME as everyone elses. I don't care that there's 2 IceClimbers, or that Luigi seems clumbsy. Show me some research to back up your claims that any character trips more than any other character. Until I see otherwize, it seems that the chances of a trip are the same to all. You know what that means? Tripping is fair. It's stupid, but it's fair.
It's only clear that it's fair under one definition, and in a trivial way.
I don't know if we are interested in that definition. Equal chance is fair... but do we have to put up with it? Elite discussion had agreed... it adds nothing to the game, it only makes it worse. It's unheard of for such a factor to be in place, but in this case it is, and except for logistical and other concerns, it would have been tourney standard to mod it out of the game.

Also, IF every character has the same chance of tripping, then we actually know Ice Climbers are worse off. They're chance is 1.99% that at least one of them will trip on any running occasion, assuming the trip chance is 1%.

*~*~*~

I really appreciate the discussion produced in section B. Sometimes it hard to think of something to say to begin the match. I have this problem... I don't like saying "good luck" when luck is not a factor / I honestly do not want luck to be factor. In our case in particular, luck is not supposed to be a factor... so wishing it is, technically, bringing something bad into the scenario.
But I seem culturally bankrupt of any other "charm" with the same conversational applicability but without the strict meaning.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Since most people seem to enjoy using trips to de-synch the Ice-Climbers to help set up easier chain grabs, wouldn't the ice-climbers tripping be much more helpful for them? Not to mention that if you lose a stock (or much worse a match) just because you tripped, unless you are pro of the highest calibur, you were probably going to lose anyway. I doubt the split second of vunerablity is going to be much that newbies or even standard skilled opponents are going to use to turn an entire match around, not to mention that it doesn't seem like a standard or pro move to allow yourself to be that increidbly vunerable from a simple trip. If you just started playing and never triped before, that might be your only excuse for losing a match from something as small as that. Otherwise, you're probably Johning if you lose over that.

And despite how much we've tried to keep it down to a science, no one will constantly give 120% of every single tournament, every single cell, every single match, every single battle, every single stock, every single second of their lives. We aren't machines (despite how society will eventually allow them to take over at this rate :p), so perfect gameplay won't be a constant. Some of my instructors have told me how a person always does 90% of their best practice. So you usually have to cover up the other 10% by being a little bit lucky. Again, no items, no final smashes, no random stage mishaps, and there is still the element of luck, simply in gameplay. So wishing it for yourself or for the other player isn't really a bad thing, even if you do want to eliminate it as much as possible.

Top Bottom