• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl's Coding reveals intended character content

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Had this been the full roster, we would have had another two clones (Dixie/ Toon Zelda) and a character nobody wanted (Toon Shiek?). What were they on when they thought of the unlockable characters?

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Had this been the full roster, we would have had another two clones (Dixie/ Toon Zelda) and a character nobody wanted (Toon Shiek?). What were they on when they thought of the unlockable characters?
Don't forget about Dr. Mario and Roy!

S2

Smash Lord
Well maybe you're right then.
I got the idea that WW Link was outsourced from this quote

"The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles. "

It's from Iwata asks vol. 5

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
\effect\assist\ef_wright.pac, size:17632 off:2A226A80

PHOENIX WRIGHT????

OBJECTION! This is... stupid!

SloppyJimbo

Smash Rookie
toon zelda is not in the code......seriously
You're blind. Scroll down a little bit until the \effects\fighters\ section, and you'll see ef_toon_zelda and ef_toon_shiek listed after ef_toon_link. It's near the top, not in the other areas later on.

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
Any one else notice Pichu is the only Melee character not on the list? Even when they were going to keep in everyone else, they were still gonna scrap Pichu.

EDIT: Kittah4 beat me to it...

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
Toon Sheik sounds really cute... I wouldn't have minded Tetra playable either

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
Yeah yeah, I heard about it 30 mins ago.
Dr. Mario? I would never put him in a Smash Game unless it was an anniversary edition.

S2

Smash Lord
This kind of reminds me of the Fire Emblem stage in Melee.

If you got into the debug menu, it was listed. But the stage itself did not exists on the disc. So you couldn't actually play it, even with a cheat device.

We'll never know anything about it beyond that we knew it existed or was planned at one point.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I wikipedia'd pra_mai in hope to find something, the first videogame character (which was the 2nd thing to appear), was, a Chao
Chao for brawl?

DarkDisco

Smash Cadet
NNID
n8RhymesWith
3DS FC
2707-1751-6632
I am going to choose to reject this information... sakurai has already killed by dreams of mewtwo once... i can't afford to get my hopes up -_-

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Yeah. Notice how Geno is NOT, I repeat, NOT here.

Stupid rumor.
Remember. Nintendo could not physically add Geno to the game without Square-Enix's permission. So he was probably only PLANNED to be in the game, and those plans were canceled last minute, if the rumor is true. Also, had he been removed, don't you think Nintendo would have been super careful about leaving any evidence of him being in the game, lest lawsuits ensue? Duhh.

Just in defense of the Geno rumor.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What if this could mean...

Characters unlocked through other methods...Such as Downloading...

But only the available characters

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
I am going to choose to reject this information... sakurai has already killed by dreams of mewtwo once... i can't afford to get my hopes up -_-
While I'd love to dismiss this...I really have no reason to...and yes, I completely understand how you feel, as I am in the same boat as you.

*crosses fingers* here's to hoping there's and x-pack or downloadable content.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Guys, Kimarhi Ronso on Gamefaqs (a respected member/translator there) suggested that Pra Mai was probably Plusle and Minun. The fitting name coupled with the fact that Pichu nowhere on the list, it just makes perfect sense! Two Pichu clones with similar models as a duo, it was probably intended to happen very early in development...

Dixie was probably meant to be a duo to Diddy from what it seems. But, they were willing to make a Toon Sheik but NOT A TOON GANONDORF? It amazes me how Sakurai and the team kept overlooking Ganondorf's potential for a completely unique moveset...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Guys, Kimarhi Ronso on Gamefaqs (a respected member/translator there) suggested that Pra Mai was probably Plusle and Minun. The fitting name coupled with the fact that Pichu nowhere on the list, it just makes perfect sense! Two Pichu clones with similar models as a duo, it was probably intended to happen very early in development...
Plusle and minun!?
Now I REALLY hope these are possible DLCs! 0_0

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
Chepe is probably correct.
Plusle in Japan is Purasuru
Minun in Japan is Mainan

Pura_mai=Pra_mai?
indeed that seems to be it...

Now if only we can ether A) trigger this stuff with a Action replay in game or B) make a program and rip some bit mapping!

...I'm really looking for a AR here...I'm sooo buying one right now for US version...

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
My best guess is DLC chars.
The mewtwo thing could be the fact that he's a boss, but fights like a character.
This may be AR accessible only...hmmm. Time to do some digging. I'll report back on this in an hour once I talk to some people.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Pikmin is on there. Because he is called "Pikmin and Olimar" it makes sense.

peachy!

super princess

Dixie was probably meant to be a duo to Diddy from what it seems. But, they were willing to make a Toon Sheik but NOT A TOON GANONDORF? It amazes me how Sakurai and the team kept overlooking Ganondorf's potential for a completely unique moveset...
Well, notice how "pra_mai" are together and could mean a duo. But Dixie is not together with Diddy so probably she was alone. And by the way, Toon Ganondorf is in SSE.

It seems like Sakurai went too excited with Toon characters :freak:

S2

Smash Lord

Interesting. 2 Pichu's would have been double cute.

As for Toon Ganon... he was my favorite version of Ganon. 2 Katanas ftw.

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Anybody have any idea who Earth Chappy and Queen Chappy are? At first I thought Earth Chappy was Cappy from Kirby, but then I saw Cappy on the list.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My best guess is DLC chars.
The mewtwo thing could be the fact that he's a boss, but fights like a character.
This may be AR accessible only...hmmm. Time to do some digging. I'll report back on this in an hour once I talk to some people.
Mewtwo isn't a boss (...?)

and enemy data looks different from character data

Top Bottom