• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Blue_X said:
Hey, I'm kind of new to this forum, and not that smart due to my lack of age and stupidity, but I'd like to make a selection screen but, how do I put this.......how do I? I'm sorry if this has been answered, if it has you can just scold me and I'll lurk more carefully.
Welcome to smashboards, and you are welcome to post your screen here so we can see and discuss.

And I think Hudson does deserve representation of some sort, but since Bomberman got screwed in the upcoming XBOX360 game, maybe Bonk could sneak in. But move aside old rivalries, Sonic is popular now. Consider Sonic's been there since long time, and he is still a survivor.
Also, Sonic is the character with more fan stuff around the internet.

kaid

Smash Master
Blue_X said:
I'd like to make a selection screen but, how do I put this.......how do I?
MS paint + Google Image search. Find an image of a character you want (it's OK to steal from the other posters here), resize, crop, arrrange as you chose, and repeat 35-50 times, with any backround you can pull off. (or rip off)

Then it's time for a visit to Imageshack for hosting.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
alright guys- it is here

the ultimate smash screen of the Gods...beta version...

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9959/beta6le.jpg

did I miss someone? let me know and I'll add them...I have a few more to add and to make another row I need 11 total so yea this is beta version for a reason...no need to count...154 total characters, too many 3rd parties, and a dream that all of us invision the last ever smash game made to be like...OK well - maybe not the last but close to the last...the last would have even more...this would be like the second- well you get what i'm saying

its beta cuz of some kinks I need to work out but if I forgot a character let me know...this took me weeks and making any selection screen from now on will be a gist

which means new guy who wants to make one: have fun...

please give me some I missed and if its a pokemon that you would rather have too bad unless there's logic (no blaziken...no importance) or if there's other characters (Battletoads and Double Dragons are already meant to go in) let me know...thanks guys and enjoy...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
kirby_fox said:
alright guys- it is here

the ultimate smash screen of the Gods...beta version...

did I miss someone? let me know and I'll add them...I have a few more to add and to make another row I need 11 total so yea this is beta version for a reason...no need to count...154 total characters, too many 3rd parties, and a dream that all of us invision the last ever smash game made to be like...OK well - maybe not the last but close to the last...the last would have even more...this would be like the second- well you get what i'm saying

its beta cuz of some kinks I need to work out but if I forgot a character let me know...this took me weeks and making any selection screen from now on will be a gist

which means new guy who wants to make one: have fun...

please give me some I missed and if its a pokemon that you would rather have too bad unless there's logic (no blaziken...no importance) or if there's other characters (Battletoads and Double Dragons are already meant to go in) let me know...thanks guys and enjoy...
Wow... just wow. Okay, before I comment, just a few corrections:
It's not Gunstar. They have names, and that one happens to be Blue :p
Second off, did you take all of Parrothead's topics and then the Japanese poll for your inspiration? :laugh:
And finally, who is Siren? I should know them. Doesn't look like a Pilotwings character...

Anyways, it's not bad for effort, but I will say one thing: does anybody, or rather, WILL anybody actually play as a character like Koopa Troopa or King Boo or Waddle Dee? My guess it that we all, including myself, would get miffed if we heard they took a spot, then maybe a little excited, play as them, realize they weren't worth it, and go back to somebody else, never touching them again.

And you definitely laid on third parties THICK, but it's pretty much everybody anyone has wanted. Not bad for research :p

Overall, I like it, but I would rather see you nix all the unnecessary generic characters and a few of the more obvious "clones," like Boshi and Toadsworth. Laying on that many Mario characters is too much as well.

EDIT: Siren's the kid from Mysterous Dungeon for the N64. Heh. That would make him third party too, I believe.

Mubariz

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking they might use some folded character selection screen, 3D style . . .

Like this (goggles highly recommended):

Okay, so I hope you get the gist of it. Go heal your eyes now.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I'm still a stickler for that one design I saw where it was all diamonds (hence my own). A globe a la Marvel vs. Capcom 2 would be nice as well.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
yea I know there's too many characters - duh

like i said: this is a dream for smash that we would all hope to want one day, this isn't brawl. and yes I basically took suggestions from smash boards, researched to make sure they could go on there, figured out where each should go and then took time to put them all together.

I know Gunstar has more characters (Red, Blue, Green) but the only difference is colors so I decided to make one generic character and if you wanted to change colors to a different one well there ya go. Siren is from the game Fuuraibou no Siren 2: Oni Shuufui! Siren Shiro. Nintendo published it, Chunsoft developed it. Which means Siren wouldn't necessarily be 3rd party (though it's hard to find out because the game is Japan only)

Will anyone play as those characters you said? Of course. You forget that with the Wii more people will be brought into gaming. Kids who never played Melee but like playing Mario Party or is a huge Mario fan will play as these characters. Yea- Mario characters always had the most, with Pokemon and LOZ right behind. Plus I tried to put characters that were Mario but in essence were Wario, Yoshi, or even for Bowser to have a new sign and those characters to be in.

Sorry - but none will be nix'd unless it is found A) they've never been on Nintendo or B) they're based on anime first (Naruto for example)

but please realize this isn't what I think BRAWL will be like. That was my previous one:
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9294/smash31yi.png

but even that had too many 3rd parties, and I'd prefer others over some of them.

this isn't even done yet either and ya'll are already on my case. At least I didn't put in all 400 Pokemon or superheroes. OK now that we're past the problems, anyone that I missed?

Conker1

Smash Ace
OMGzzz teh bumps!

I've made a new version of my select screen using Kirby Fox's portaits, thanks kirby fox.

I replaced Kooper with PacMan
I replaced Krystal with Baloon Fighter
I replaced Lyn with Takamaru

Blue_X

Smash Rookie
That's nice. Mine's pretty much done, I'm just putting on some finishing touches. My original version sucked, so I made it a little more nicer. I still didn't know how to put a background on so, oh well. It'll be done soon

Blue_X

Smash Rookie
EDIT: For some reason the link isn't working, but I'll try to fix it.
EDIT 2: I fixed the link, and thanks for the help Kaid.

Well I'm finally done! It's not as good as any of the others. Here's a ]link[/URL]

Tell me what you think, I'll take the good, the bad, and the ugly.

List of Characters:
Mario
Luigi
Toad
Bowser
Wario
Geno
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link
Princess Zelda
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Ness
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Eliwood
Hector
Lyndis
Kirby
Gooey
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Captain Falcon
Black Shadow
Fox McCloud
Falco Lombardi
Krystal
Wolf O' Donnel
Pit
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Solid Snake
Megaman
Iron Man
Deadpool
Gambit
Stafy
Pac-Man
Captain America
Balloon Fighter
Rayman
Danny Phantom

A total of 48, my original only had 40, and that's all I planned on but because of the decrease of size of my final copy, I put in a couple more.

And the Player Boxes at the bottom were bigger but I had to shorten them to make them fit.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
kirby_fox said:
alright guys- it is here

Lyn. PLEASE include Lyn. Only then will I consider your admittedly AWESOME select screen to be perfect.

kaid

Smash Master
Blue_X said:
EDIT: For some reason the link isn't working, but I'll try to fix it.

Well I'm finally done! It's not as good as any of the others. Here's a link to it.
C:\Documents and Settings\Eric Reese\Local Settings\Temp\ImageReady\TargetPreview63\Untitled-2.htm

Well tell what you think, I'll take the good, the bad, and the ugly.
You can't link directly from your computer. Get an account at Imageshack.com and upload, then post the Imageshack link.

Conker1

Smash Ace
kaid said:
Krystal's staff moveset needs to be in, and WHERE THE **** IS SONIC! Or LUCARIO!
Lucario looks like a ******** mix of a dog and Klonea or whatever his name is(that Namco guy)

And I don't care about Sonic at all, Bomberman, Pac-Man and Snake are way better than Sonic.

kaid

Smash Master
Lucario is awesome, as you would agree if you had watched his movie.

And it doesn't matter if you care about Sonic, the fact he has 15 years of history with Mario makes his inclusion inevitable.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
being added to ultimate screen:

Battletoads
Double Dragons
Sora
Blaziken
Paula
Power Pro-kun
Shadow
Louie
Ray (Disaster Day of Crisis)
M-09 (Project HAMMER)
Sami
Ashnard
Lyn
Lloyd

Conker1: It's Klonoa, he was on the ultimate screen...i need 7 more to make another row...any more suggestions?

Edit: also adding female character from F-zero (don't kno which yet) and Blue X, no one will copy don't worry (haha j/p dude)...also a note for you umm...Danny Phantom? Iron Man? Gambit??? Sorry to flame but uh...dude Sakurai said no anime characters...those kinda fit into that category, though not exactly anime they are still cartoons and oh...I'm sorry I have...to excuse myself from the horror of you doing that...I'm sorry its...its too much...and that I ain't kidding about...

Blue_X

Smash Rookie
kirby_fox said:
Blue X, no one will copy don't worry (haha j/p dude)...also a note for you umm...Danny Phantom? Iron Man? Gambit??? Sorry to flame but uh...dude Sakurai said no anime characters...those kinda fit into that category, though not exactly anime they are still cartoons and oh...I'm sorry I have...to excuse myself from the horror of you doing that...I'm sorry its...its too much...and that I ain't kidding about...

Well there goes my self esteam. Lol. No seriously, I wanted to fill the last row, so I added some characters that I really didn't want to. Danny Phantom was one of them, Rayman was one, and Captain America, Pac-Man, and Stafy were also some. Gambit, Iron Man, and Deadpool might have been pushing it, but:
1. I had to because they're my three favorite comic characters (and I'm a sucker for comics)
2. Since Snake was in there I thought they could be worked in some how.

But my original version didn't have Stafy, Pac-Man, Captain America, Balloon Figher, Rayman, Danny Phantom, Wolf, or Geno. And I kind of hesitated with Gambit, Iron Man, and Deadpool, I might make a better version, excluding the last nine.

Anyway, your's is awesome. And thank's for the comment of the bad and the ugly. :)

EDIT: Well I deleted the last nine like I said:
]link[/URL]

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
haha - alright, that makes me feel somewhat better Blue X. There are tons more characters though that aren't from comics (see my ultimate screen beta selection for proof) so maybe take some from them...if you'd like, you could even use my beta screen for the portraits for your second one - just credit me like Conker1 and the others.

Though I think Zodiak's background, though awesome, needs a format change for once. I'm tired of it now, maybe I should make my own.

And thanks for saying mine was awesome, I appreciate the comments.

reminder: I still need 7 more characters (or 18 if you want me to add another row) so please give me ideas! I'm running out of stuff here...

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well Kirby Fox While you're at it, I made this Box to fit into the all-inclusive selction bin.

It's not the best looking but at least its 3D and in up-to-date graphics.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...F.D. Link eh? hmm...true he'd fit into the ultimate smash I guess, I just hate having more versions of the same character, I mean Link has 2 already (Y. Link and Adult Link) and Mario only has 1 (Dr. Mario) that's why I didnt add paper mario (then we could have paper everyone and that'd be annoying) so its not really all inclusive but I guess someone can use it...I'll add him in I guess, along with Paper Mario...

EDIT: I should have a vote though- Wolf Link or F.D. Link? the latter would be hard to balance is the only problem but hey, I've seen crazier...and since FD was asked first, Wolf Link is out (4 links is too much, and we only have 1 pikachu)

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
yea, Ill make it so there are many types of character boxes. Different colors and different shapes. I'll make a variety of backgrounds, headers, and several character select boxes. i'll probably compress it in a rar file and release it soon.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Woah, Zodiac...That's too awesome.

I'd request a deep green, with black and blue compliments, or a deep black with blue and purple compliments.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
Well here it is, the template I promised. Its not particularly amazing, but should help some people out. I did spend a good amont of time on this, so if you do use this, a little rep wouldnt hurt. You don't have to credit me or anything. It might be pretty hard to ultilize this in paint, but it is possible if you have to time and effort. Its a zip file, so on the top right of the website it should ask you to type 3 letters. Do that and wait 45 seconds and you should have your download.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P2TIXIWL
http://zodiak-lucien.sitesled.com/ZodiakLucien's%20Brawl%20template.zip
http://rapidshare.de/files/25499635/ZodiakLucien_s_Brawl_template.zip.html
for fonts I recommand www.1001freefonts.com

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well, I finally finished copying and pasting all the components to my Selection Screen. Thanks to all the geniuses who made this possible.

Behold!

In many ways, I tried to "play Sakurai" here and bring in characters I knew would please the crowd as well as some that were just my personal favorites. So if you have any complaints you can cram it, because Sakurai's poll was my primary resource [which is why there's no Sonic] And Since there's no Sonic, I took the liberty of adding Crono.

Yeah, Crono! Crono is someone every RPG gamer loves and remembers, Even people who have long moved on from kiddy Nintendo games. In fact, Crono has such a strong fandom, they actually tried to remake the game in full 3D when Square wouldn't. I don't see that kind of passion for Geno. and besides, with Nintendo probably already talking about Geno with Square, they might as well go the full tilt with RPG characters and bring in Crono, the long retired legend.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
Resting_Fox said:
Well, I finally finished copying and pasting all the components to my Selection Screen. Thanks to all the geniuses who made this possible.

Behold!
three links seems like a bit much and I dont know about crono. I like the addition of mach rider though.

Got Blood? said:
Lucien,I really like your fake box art cover.I'd like to see what else you can make.
http://zodiak-lucien.deviantart.com/ if you want to see more of my stuff, even though its mostly old stuff.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
I feel it nessecary to point this out...

Mixing 2D and 3D portraits kills the value of the hoax.
Because it looks tacky...

Using SSBM graphics kills the value of the hoax.
Because they created new GUI graphics for Melee...

Using the words "2 Minute Knockout Fest" kills the value of the hoax.
Because it sounds dated...

Suggestions:
Try to change the method the character is selected. While they have used the Streetfighter-esque character select method since 64, there is no reason they couldn't do something flashier like what you see in Guilty Gear XX with character selection.

Stay away from characters that lack 3D images. If you use a 2D image with a bunch of 3D images, it will stick out.

Stay away from overused images. Try taking the pictures yourself if you can, or at least get it from an image that isn't seen in every magazine covering the game.

Stay away from 3D models used from melee. With the exception of Kirby, we haven't seen a single model that doesn't have a new look yet, and chances are... all the characters are going to look exceptionally different if they are still in... including Kirby later on of course. Now, if you are trying to make your hoax look artfully convincing and can't get newer looking artwork, you could rely on the beta excuse of placeholder art... but as we get closer to the release date, this option becomes lamer.

Keep your resolution in check. Try to stay away from wierd **** like 500x600... rather, go for gaming resolutions. My advice would be to keep things in 480p.

Character grouping is important... not to a the degree where every group has some perfect 2x4 block or something, but try keeping Mario characters on one area and Pokemon in another. You should stay away from plus formations since it harms the placability of nearby characters to the formation.

Experiment with new GUI methods. You know that hand? It doesn't scream Revolution.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
you're links are broken zodiak...the pictures aren't coming up...

and umm...dude that just entered into this after 13 pages and hasn't shown us any work of himself...hoaxes? this isn't for hoaxes dude, we're not trying to make it look like extra real so we can send it to a site and say "OMGZ LOOKZ AT DIS! IT DA FIRST SCREENSHOT FROM BRAWL!" and sometimes you can't get 3D pictures for the characters. Some have to be from Melee, considering that those are some of the only pictures we have.

There are only 7 characters we can use the new looks for, since we're not even sure of the complete lineup (duh) or 8 if you add Sonic.

Oh and would you mind showing us some of your stuff then since you're so critical?

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
DeeDoubleU: First-off, we're not trying to make this as a hoax. We're not trying to use it to make noobs think this is a screenshot. This is just a better way for showing who we want in the game.

Top Bottom