• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
You obviously haven't seen all the other ones then, including mine. That or you have no taste.

colbusman, that screen is pretty good, although the text below the characters are a bit boring. I'm not going to rate anyone's selection screen on character choices, because then there'd always be someone unsatisfied. Nice job.

magar

Banned via Administration
Well, i Have Tast For Things That Have Flavor,
Ur Screens Are As Sour As The Patch kids :)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Marshigio said:
You obviously haven't seen all the other ones then, including mine. That or you have no taste.

colbusman, that screen is pretty good, although the text below the characters are a bit boring. I'm not going to rate anyone's selection screen on character choices, because then there'd always be someone unsatisfied. Nice job.
i did the same thing you did dude. i did it on paint

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Nevermind what I said then, doing it on paint takes a lot more skill than on photoshop as shown in my screen. Instead of nice job, it's an excellent job!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ok, first off, i was NOT putting up to his crap. i was just stating why the words are bland. i did it on paint because that is all i have.

i am not concerned if the screen looks bad. i am concered on what you guys think of the characters. so what if it looks crappy or really good. I DON'T F***IN CARE!!! i want to give you ideas of characters so you can say "hey, that is a good idea, they should put him/her/it in brawl"

sorry to sound tense, but i just want to get a point across and not be hassled about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm with colbusman on it. Yes, a nice looking screen is good, but so is character selection. It's no different from good graphics vs gameplay.

Anyway, magar, shut up already. We don't need pointless spam that only insults all our hard work.

And yes, I do use Paint, and as you can see from my image, the way I made the characters fit was well done(considering remaking names using the already gotten letters would look horrible, this way, it isn't). I don't own Photoshop, nor do I intend to. I like doing sprites, and that best requires paint. Other than that, I need to do more jpegs...

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
OK colbusman- nice screen, though the symbols lighting up yea...not so much a fan of...

also not a fan of Dark Samus or Wolf Link...mainly because Dark Samus is just a more powerful Samus (I mean c'mon) and Wolf Link...I don't want to even think of Link as a wolf really...I'd take Y. Link or Skull Kid over wolf Link...

Also updated my old selection screen to make it look a little bit better
Old: http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9294/smash31yi.png
New: http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8002/smash44en.png

Not too much of a difference, but it looks a little nicer...

Still working on the bigger one, but I've had work so I haven't had time to do it (nor have I felt like it) but I'm still taking suggestions. Just so no one has to go back and look in case they have ideas here's the old one again: http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9959/beta6le.jpg

Yay for ultimate screens!

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
colbusman said:
i hate that place now. everytime i try to log in, it says i don't exist! and i have even tried reinstering my info back on, but it screwed me over. i think i will stick with geocities.
geocities is one of the worst, I have had no problems with sitesled. Try using Domaindlx.com.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
kirby_fox said:
OK colbusman- nice screen, though the symbols lighting up yea...not so much a fan of...

also not a fan of Dark Samus or Wolf Link...mainly because Dark Samus is just a more powerful Samus (I mean c'mon) and Wolf Link...I don't want to even think of Link as a wolf really...I'd take Y. Link or Skull Kid over wolf Link...

Also updated my old selection screen to make it look a little bit better
Old: http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9294/smash31yi.png
New: http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8002/smash44en.png

Not too much of a difference, but it looks a little nicer...

Still working on the bigger one, but I've had work so I haven't had time to do it (nor have I felt like it) but I'm still taking suggestions. Just so no one has to go back and look in case they have ideas here's the old one again: http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9959/beta6le.jpg

Yay for ultimate screens!
Dont get your hopes up on EVERY SSBM character, and 55 characters...

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
The giagantic screen if you had read isn't for Brawl...it's just to show what a future smash game could potentially look like- our dream persay...

and yea- the 55 character one I'd slim down some (mainly third parties) but because of how I set it up I decided to just make it look the way it does...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Okay, I explained why I didn't have Sonic in my stupid picture. It's just a fan picture, and just because everyone else has Sonic in there doesn't mean I have to. Sorry I wanted to use my freedom of expression, whoever you were. :dizzy:

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Muffin_man said:
Aye, that be my favorite select screen too. But I'm biased under the idea that I tke to the select screens that have my favorite characters, and not the amout of time that goes into the art and fluidity in the screen itself. Luckily for me however, the select screen itself is extremely well done.

Go see if Sakurai is hiring.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
hemightbegiant said:
Best one in my opinion. the one done by paint is also cool. :chuckle:
Which one? Many were done by Paint. Maybe you could point out so we know what you're talking about.

/shameless plug for attention

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Warning: Long post.

This is my personal character select screen, with all of them having a decent amount of chance, which I will list somewhere below. Note that I needed 2 evenings and 1 afternoon to:

-Think about the characters
-Find images and resize them
-Position the images
-Upload the select screen
-Typing all this text

And all of this happened with Google, Paint and ImageShack. First of all, before looking at the image, please note that it still needs a lot of names under lots of characters's mugshots, in the black part, the same way as some characters already have their names(Please watch closely how I type every character's name below the image, they have to be typed the same way in their mugshots in the end). Furthermore it needs a good looking background and 4 boxes where the selected characters go, along with 4 cursors to select a character. And lastly the words "Free for all", "Brawl" and "Go Back". I would like to see the colors red and gray appear somewhere around these parts too. If someone would kindly make my character screen even better I would thank him greatly and perhaps even give a good reputation report for giving me an updated character select screen back.

And now, behold the character select screen, take a quick look, then go down to see every new character to be introduced into the select screen:

Meet:

-Below Luigi: Waluigi from Mario Tennis N64
-Below Yoshi: Kamek from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
-Below Samus: Ridley from Metroid
-Below Pit: Lip from Panel de Pon
-To the right of Pit: Tom Nook from Animal Crossing
-Below Pikachu: Vaati from The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
-Below Jigglypuff: Captain Olimar(Typed C.Olimar) from Pikmin
-Above Fox: Deoxys from Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald
-Above Falco: Krystal from Star Fox Adventures
-To the left of Mewtwo: Geno from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
-To the left of Falco: Wolf O'Donnell(Typed Wolf) from Star Fox 64(Originally from the cancelled Star Fox 2 game)
-Above DK: Diddy & Dixie Kong(Typed Diddy & Dixie K.) from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
-To the left of DK: King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country
-To the right of Ice Climbers: Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog
-To the left of Ice Climbers: Ray 01 from Custom Robo
-Above Bowser: Jr. Troopa from Paper Mario
-To the right of Bowser: Andy from Advance Wars
-Below Marth: Hawke from Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
-Below Andy: Kindle from Advance Wars: Dual Strike
-To the left of Marth: Sothe from Fire Emblem for the Wii(uncertain if it's Sothe, but change this character's name if it's not him)
-Below Meta Knight(Btw put a space in between Meta Knight's name): Lolo & Lala from The Adventures of Lolo
-Above Meta Knight: M-09 from Project H.A.M.M.E.R. for the Wii
-To the right of Ness: Lucas from Mother 3(And the cancelled Mother game for the Nintendo 64 as well)
-To the left of Ness: Toad from Super Mario Bros. 2
-To the right of Captain Falcon(Typed C.Falcon): Samurai Goroh(Typed S.Goroh) from F-Zero
-Below Captain Falcon: Stafy from Legend of Stafy
-To the left of Mr. Game & Watch: Meowth from Pokémon Red and Blue
-Below Stafy: Little Mac from Punch-Out!!
-To the left of Kirby: Isaac from Golden Sun
-In the middle: Mega Man from Mega Man NES

Why:

Waluigi: To complete the second bros. of the Mario games(Even though we don't know if Waluigi and Wario are brothers), and to give Waluigi more popularity, which he really needs so that he can get his own game in the future. He would play completely different from Mario, Wario or Luigi. Besides, all of them should play completely different apart from a few moves each other.

Kamek: So that Yoshi has a villain on his own. Kamek could become pretty interesting with original magic attacks as well.

Ridley: So that Samus has a villain on her own. Resize him a bit like they did for Bowser and he's ready to go with his fast flying attacks, similar in a way perhaps to Pit and Meta Knight.

Lip: To have more females in the game itself basically, but don't underestimate Tetris Attack and Panel de Pon's popularity. I am pretty sure the developers could make an interesting moveset out of her as well.

Tom Nook: To represent the Animal Crossing serie. Tom Nook might not fight in his own games, but with some items from those games being used and some original moves from the designers themselves he could become pretty interesting.

Vaati: So why him and not Skull Kid or Majora? Well, Skull Kid is basically nothing without Majora's Mask, and I think that Majora's Mask could easily be implented as an item as well. There's also Tingle mentioned in some other character select screens but I think that Vaati needs more attention with his humanoid and demon forms first before we give the fairy man a chance.

Captain Olimar: To represent the Pikmin serie. Olimar could command the Pikmin to attack his enemies while he himself could hold quite a fight as well.

Deoxys: Mainly because I thought it would be very interesting to have him fight in 4 different forms in Brawl. Secondly to insert another strong Pokémon like Mewtwo.

Krystal: To have more females in the game itself basically. Krystal should definitely use her staff when she will fight in the game.

Geno: Think of it like this: It's a doll that has range attacks, that's pretty cool. First of I thought Geno was not important enough to add to the game but the fact that he's a doll makes things pretty interesting. Even though I like Mallow more from Super Mario RPG, Geno would work better.

Wolf O'Donnell: So that Fox has a villain/rival on his own. What, would you rather have Andross in the game first as he looks like now in all of the Star Fox games before Wolf? Nah, not yet for me, I think Andross needs some legs and a lower and upper body first in a future game before you could consider him. Don't just think of a Fox/Falco clone just yet, just Luigify both Wolf and Falco strongly so that the 3 of them are almost completely different in their movesets.

Diddy & Dixie Kong: For some reason I think they would work better together, because in the Donkey Kong Country games you could switch from characters as well. Not that you really could with the Ice Climbers in SSBM, but hopefully you got my point. They are in so that DK has partners to rely on, and so that more kongs can represent the Donkey Kong franchise on it's own.

King. K. Rool: So that DK has a villain on his own. So why him and not say, King DeDeDe from the Kirby games? Well, the only true reason is that Kirby has Meta Knight as a villain/rival already, nothing else. DeDeDe could work, but Meta Knight is already in to face Kirby.

Sonic: Perhaps the most important 3rd party character to add in Brawl, he should be in so that many, many gamers(not myself) can finally consider starting the true "Mario VS Sonic" battle they have all been waiting for for so many years. Sonic is ok for me as well, as I recently started playing his games and enjoying them.

Ray 01: To represent the Custom Robo serie. I'm not so sure with the other games in the serie, but Custom Robo for the Gamecube really impressed me with it's large amount of objectives to customize on the robots in the game. Ray 01 is as far as I know the most popular robot character in the serie.

Jr. Troopa: Here's an interesting read: There are too many Koopa Kids to choose from, Baby Bowser is just Bowser himself, Bowser Jr. is nothing interesting without his Paint Staff from Super Mario Sunshine or his alter ego from the same game(The staff could be made as an item as well), and don't even mention the colorfied Bowser Jr. clones from the Mario Party games. What remains for myself as an interesting koopa villain is Jr. Troopa from Paper Mario. He could present the Paper Mario serie better than Grodus or Lord Crump, because he has appeared in the first two Paper Mario games, you fight him numerous times in the first game with some variety every time you fight him, and he could use objects from the serie he normally does not use in the games themselves if he got in Brawl. He could have some attacks from Bowser as well, since he has a spike and a staff who can cast fire. And lastly he has bat like wings and can hide in his egg shell like Yoshi in the Paper Mario games.

Andy: First of all, Advance Wars seriously needs to be represented in Brawl, because the serie has been very good so far and it has interesting characters in them as well. Andy just happens to be the main character from the first two games, and he has wrenches to accompany him in his battles as well.

Hawke: Because he's the only major villain who from we know has survived the serie so far, unlike Sturm(SPOILERS: Even though Von Bolt is alive as well, he is basically nothing without his chair, which is destroyed), and he's basically the biggest villain in the serie right now. He could have vampire like attacks, seeming his CO Powers sucks the life out of units.

Kindle: For two reasons: To have more females in the game itself, and to have another major villain(just under Hawke) to represent the Advance Wars serie. Seriously, Advance Wars is rich for it's interesting characters, and Kindle just happens to be the 2nd most important villain who has survived the serie so far. She could have fire based attacks, since the first 3 CO's of the Bolt Guard in Japan are named Zippo(Jugger), Chakka(Koal or Zak in PAL) and Candle(Kindle or Candy in PAL).

Sothe: Well, it was a hard choice to choose between Ike, Ephraim, Hector and Lyn, but then I figured why not represent the new Fire Emblem with it's main character, just like they did with Roy from Fire Emblem 6 in SSBM?

Lolo & Lala: To have another duo based character(s) enter Brawl basically, but also of course to represent the Adventures of Lolo serie.

M-09: His hammer is made for one thing: To smash everything. Does that ring a bell to you? Also to represent the new Project H.A.M.M.E.R. game.

Lucas: Another hard choice to choose between Poo, Jeff and Paula, but then, just like Sothe, I figured to include Lucas into Brawl instead. What I heard is that his attacks are similar to Ness in Mother 3, but If they could Luigify him enough from Ness he would be an interesting character as well.

Toad: So that the last character of Super Mario Bros. 2 gets in as well basically. He's a really popular character with a high chance of getting in and there's lots of other reasons as well as to why he should be in.

Samurai Goroh: So that Captain Falcon has a villain/rival on his own. He has a samurai sword as well, which scores big points for him being available in Brawl.

Stafy: To represent the Legend of Stafy serie.

Meowth: To add another popular Pokémon character to Brawl. As far as I know he almost appeared in every episode in the first few seasons of the Anime, making him very memorizable. He could have interesting coin based attacks as well by the way.

Little Mac: To represent the Punch Out!! serie. This guy screams for smashing attacks, and that's no wonder considering it's a boxer serie we're talking about here.

Isaac: To represent the Golden Sun serie.

Mega Man: To represent the Classic Mega Man series, and perhaps other Mega Man series as well in the form of throphies. He is my most anticipated character in Brawl, so that's why I put him in the middle of my select screen. He also has a high chance of getting in, has many, many fans around the world and is a rival of some kind to Samus as well, not to mention he could have endless attacks from either his Brawl enemies or his enemies from the Classic serie: the Robot Masters.

And that's all there is to this post. Did I miss anything? If so, please remind me of it.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how you use the exac same boxes and text that I used for mine...along with some of the same pics too...you didn't by chance forget to say that you took some from mine did you? I'm j/w...

Bad layout too...you grouped the characters completely wrong and why would Megaman be in the middle when he's a 3rd party character?

and only 2 probs with your selection I myself have...Diddy and Dixie were in the original games yes- but now Diddy has become a much bigger character then Dixie. By combining them both it'd just really suck. M-09 isn't very established, and what if that game flops and we never see another one? It won't be classic...won't really be a new franchise since it'll be done and over with...so I say wait until the franchise establishes itself before putting in either M-09 or Ray.

Other than that...nothing too major...

kaid

Smash Master
You left out Lucario and your franchises are scattered all over the place. Plus, Megaman is not important enough to be at the center of it all.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh ya, that's what I forgot, thanking you for the mugshots and texts under them. Sorry!

As for the rest of your reply, I suggest you read my whole post closely before judging the image only and not reading as to why I did things like this and things like that.

EDIT: I scattered the biggest Nintendo franchises because I thought having every character from different big franchises sit to each other in a random way would not look good enough. Biggest exception is Pokémon though. Upper Left= Mario, Lower Left= Zelda + Pokémon, Upper Right= Intelligent Systems, Lower Right= Star Fox + Pokémon, Middle= smaller franchises mainly.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
First of all, he can leave out Lucario if he wants. I thought the point of a Character Selection Screen was to put the characters YOU want in(unless they were really important obvious ones, like Mario, Link, Samus etc. and that's something Lucario isn't)

If your main reason for adding M-09 was for advertisement, that makes sense, seeing as how he's going to be a completely new Nintendo character. kirby fox, your example of the game he's in being a flop is a weak argument. That's the main point of adding him in, for publicity, so people will buy the game so it WON'T be a flop. Obviously Nintendo didn't think like that when they added Roy to Melee.

I don't like the layout. The most normal thing to do with laying out characters in groups like that, is to have characters that are from the same game(game series) be near each other, which they aren't obviously.

Obviously, add a background, because that screen looks bland. You also might want to add a WTF character, just to surprise everyone.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Kereokacola said:
I tried looking for a similar topic, but couldn't find it... but I do know we have a topic regarding this. Oh well. I made one a day or so ago, and this topic is here, so I am going to post it.

I saved it as .jpeg and the quality isn't as good... but oh well. I have a slow connection and I don't feel like redo-ing it. You can at least get an idea of what I did.

I really like the layout you put. Its a good background the design is great and it isnt crammed together.
I would change some of the characters but other then that I like it.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's what I said in my other post, I still need a background etc to make it better looking, but I only have Paint in my possesion and I didn't think about what kind of background to put in yet. I just wanted to show you guys which characters I would like to see.

So, there's nothing major or "WTF" about seeing Lucas, Jr. Troopa, Lolo & Lala, Sothe and Kindle in that pic?

xianfeng, that Ganondorf pic is messed up.

King Ganondorf

Smash Apprentice
Fox_Rocks said:
good stuff.. currently working on mine.

By the way,I think I know how nintendos gonna have the select screens look. Because theres gonna be so many characters I think you pick a symbol from the game in which your characters from and then it loads up all the characters from that game...like picking the triforce would give ya ganondorf, link, etc... then picking the toad lookin symbol would give ya all the mario world peeps and sooo on.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
Flok- those characters you mention don't have a "WTF" in it, except maybe Koopa Jr. cuz no one knows who that is kinda sorta...

but the rest: Lucas- not the best choice but was meant to be a main character, Lolo & Lala- never played their game but they're in the Kirby cartoon now for some reason, Sothe- would be just like Roy as you said, and Kindle- enemy that's a female...sure...I'd take Capt. Syrup probably over her but hey...

and King Ganondorf- though I like your idea about how it'll work, that won't happen for one reason. Mainly because if you have symbols and people don't know who is under what symbol it doesn't help much and then there are the characters under a symbol that are only one character- like Pit or Snake.

Still trying to get characters...it's going kinda slow...because I'm over 33 extra characters now...so...yea

Top Bottom