• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
@DeeDoubleU

First of all, I want you to know I agree with what you have to say, initially. However, you must understand, that many people want to make character select screens based off of who they want to see in Brawl. Because of this, there are several characters not in SSBB who do not have 3D models, and therefore only appear in 2D. Should these characters be excluded simply because they have no 3D models? I do not believe so.

I understand what you're trying to say though, and 3D models should be used whenever possible. But disallowing 2D figures to be used in select screens limits the amount of characters you can use. And besides, we know these are all fake anyway.

But other than that, I agree with you.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman

Well, here's mine, with 48 character total. Know it's a lot, but it's possible. I also realise that I left out character icons and the cursor hands, but I couldn't find any appropiate resources. And there wasn't enough room for actual character names. Oh well, I still think it came out nice enough.

Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Geno, Bowser (Mario) NOTE: This may be too much, but I really want Geno and Toad was put in because he's likely (though I don't really care if he appears or not, despite what my sig says)

Yoshi, Kamek (Yoshi) NOTE: Kamek was added in because I like him, but he probably won't make it in.

Wario, Mona (Wario) NOTE: To hell with people saying that Wario doesn't deserve to be split from Mario.

Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)

Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh, Deathborn (F-Zero)

Fox, Falco, Krystal (Starfox) NOTE: I'm still torn between Krystal and Wolf, but Wolf could be fitted in as a costume

Ness, Jeff, Duster (Mother) NOTE: I would've put in Pokey, but I prefer Jeff and Duster more.

Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede (Kirby)

Samus, Meta Ridley, Weavel (Metroid) NOTE: I think that Weavel, if any Metroid Prime Hunters character gets in, is the most likely seeing as he's the closest thing you can have to a Space Pirate without straying into enemy drone territory.

Link, Zelda, Gannondorf, Skull Kid (Zelda) NOTE: I figured that Skull Kid was a better idea than Vaati (and has a larger fan base), and I just figured that Young Link, Wind Waker Link, classic Link etc. could be a costume for Twilight Princess Link.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Mewtwo (Pokemon)

Ice Climbers, Pit, Mach Rider, Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Little Mac (Classic) NOTE: I figured that obscure Japanese characters like Starfy and Lip were too obscure to make it in the game, sadly. :(

Marth, Ike, Lyn (Fire Emblem) NOTE: I'm really just following what seems to be the prefrence of Fire Emblem fans for this one. I really don't know who these characters are besides Marth, or why so many people want Roy out, but whatever.

Solid Snake, Sonic, Banjo Kazooie (3rd Party) NOTE: Sonic I think is almost a given due to his huge support for this game, for better or worse, and Banjo Kazooie was put there because I wanted him to be there. And there's no denying that if Rare was still 2nd party to Nintendo, Banjo Kazooie would appear in Brawl.

Comment would be appreciated. :)

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
nice design muffinman- very different from what we've seen for backgrounds (thank God you didn't just use Zodiak's lol) and though I dont agree with the whole diamonds, mainly because they cut off more of the picture than boxes do.

I don't agree with your selection either, specifically Duster, Weavel and Banjo (*tear*). I'm not a big earthbound fan, but Paula seems to be more likely if not Poo, Starman, or Flint. Weavel- though it would add to the characters for Samus- is highly unlikely seeing that Hunters came out recently and we don't have any idea how far these characters will go. If they only appeared in this one game, why should we add them to brawl? A Chozo or even Kraid would be better choices (even though Kraid is huge). And I don't deny Banjo would be in if Rare was still second party...but they aren't *tear* and so no Banjo...or Joanna...or Conker...

*goes and cries in the corner for Nintendo's mistake of selling them*

Conker1

Smash Ace
I like your selection Muffin Man, all I would do is replace ROB with Stafy, I'm assuming Stafy is popular in Japan seeing as he's about to get his 4th game, and I'd replace Ike with Hector because we need a guy with an axe.

An although I want Banjo-Kazooie in as well, it prabably won't happen, so I'd replace them with Bomberman.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Muffin_man said:
Character-wise, that's got to be one the best character selection screen I've seen. I don't like the background as much as Zodiak's but it's still very nice.

The only I'd add is Sigurd and some of the others guys that the others mentioned.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Not a bad selection at all Muffin_Man. Missing some of my personal picks and faves, but eh: what can ya do? It's a free world.

It's your roster, so you can do what you want, but if this were actually the game I would see Banjo-Kazooie, Weavel, and Jeff being dropped. BK is much harder to get access to now, seeing as Rare has been absorbed by Microsoft. Weavel is popular, and your reasoning is actually pretty true, but I think they would shoot for a more unique looking fighter like Noxus or Sylux if they wanted to go with a Hunter. Jeff is cool and all, but I'm still of the school of thought that we're done with Mother 2, and any new characters would be from 3. Otherwise, it's not a bad list. Meowth I like, but some 3rd or 4th gen Pokes are more likely.

Btw, your background really really kicks ***. I love your presenation; it's slick ;)

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Duster was really only added seeing as he's one of my favorite Mother 3 characters so far and he's the easiest character from that to think up moves for. I know Flint's more popular, but after playing the game, you'll realise just how generic most of Flint's moves are compared to Duster. And Jeff's there because he was on Sakurai's poll so he has a chance and he has a larger chance of not being a Ness clone (which is why I didn't put in Lucus from Mother 3). And while Poo's more original, he's also a horrible, horrible character personality wise (BECAUSE HE AIN'T GOT ONE). Starman I'd assume would return as either a normal drone on an Earthbound level in Adventure Mode or a boss.

Banjo Kazooie was again only put there out of my personal prefrence as other than Snake and, as most people strongly believe Sonic, are only two 'definate' choices for the game. Everybody else is fair game. I know it's extremily unlikely, but it isn't impossible what with some Rare characters still being on Sakurai's poll such as Lupus.

And in terms of Fire Emblem characters, I really just went with what I thought was the general flow. Chances are if I were an actual fan of the games I would've swapped the character slots around a bit.

Anyway, thank's for the appreciation. That actually took a while to brainstorm up and put together.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
nice work muffin man. Though I think you went a little overboard with the amont of yellow outer glow used. The background could use a little work too (I can help you on that if you wish). The positive points though is that you used a diamond layout which is fresh to see. The full potraits on the bottom are also a nice touch.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the reason why I used so much glow on some of the pictures (especially the poses) was because there was too much white gunk for me to get rid of on the renders so I'd figured that adding some glow would help hide it. I was also a bit lost on what I could do for a background so I just continued the diamond theme with the background.

D

Deleted member

Manual resize with Gimp or something.

Photobucket also has resize options if you need 'em.

I really wanna see your opinion on this by the way, Marshigo.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
After realizing how boring and bland all these character selection screens are, I decided to make my own.

Testing.......

FAQ time!

1. Q: Why didn't you use photoshop?
A: Paint > Photoshop

2. Q: Who were you trying to please with this screen?
A: Everyone, except the people who care for pokemon, which is everyone.

That's about it, tell me what you think, who you want added, and I might actually do it....

And I don't want to hear this "You're not supposed to color outside the lines" crap either.

D

Deleted member

Marshigio, thats the best one I've ever seen :).

Zamus and Lyn are in a great positions (Kyrstal too... :confused: ).

How long will it take for me to get some of my choices on there (spelled correctly)...*grumble*

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
magar said:
People And There Selection Screens *sighs*
People and their inability to spell their correctly.
Now, stop complaining and click on my masterpiece!

Thanks Windguru, soon enough everyone will be saying the same thing.

magar

Banned via Administration
WoW, Someone Actualy Speaks The Truth
NOT!

btw, I love the *** picks, they make me as horny as a mother****er

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
No problem, I figured you'd say something like that.

Any suggestions anyone?

magar

Then Ofcource, We Have Smart ***** as Well, *Bangs Head On Desk & Breaks Desk*

Im Not Calling No One One Though........

Or Am I? :p

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I guess being a smarta** is better than being a dumba**,

Im Not Calling No One One Though.......

magar

Marshigio said:
I guess being a smarta** is better than being a dumba**,

Im Not Calling No One One Though.......
Or Are U?

& Dont Dodge *'s

It Should Be Smart *** & Dumb ***

Not SmartA** & DumbA**

Im Not Flaiming No one Though

Or Are I? ;)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ok, i think i finished it. sorry that it has zodiak's feel to it, but i like the wii look he gives it. and i think when you are choosing a character, his symbol should light up for the heck of it.

Top Bottom