• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpicking Made Easy

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think GGs is the ONE stage in the game that works against him

FD is just completely neutral and is thus worse for him than the other stages in the game

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yoshi's Island Melee works about the same. It's barely legal, so it doesn't have a lot of testing, but I consider it on the same level as Green Greens.

Though GG is better. :p

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
the new rule set came out
some counters such as corneria are now banned, so i think we should start changing some of these

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
With the new stage list out, I've been meaning to remove all the newly banned stages. Let's take a look at the characters which benefited and which were harmed by the new list.

Corneria
Donkey Kong, Fox, Game & Watch, Ike, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Toon Link
Jigglypuff, Kirby, Lucario, Peach

Green Hill Zone
-
-

Mario Circuit
-
Ganondorf

Onett
Olimar
Peach

Skyworld
-
Donkey Kong, Marth, Peach

Nothing incredibly significant beyond Corneria, a few characters simply lost or gained a few obscure counterpicks. Corneria seems to be the most drastic change though - while the heavy hitters of the game mourn there loss, the lighter characters rejoice. Specifically Peach who lost all her potential counterpicks. Convenient that I main her, no? :bee:

Well, now that we're running a little low on a few charcacters, I wouldn't mind more input on what to stick in the empty slots.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I move that Final Destination be put on the list as one of sonics best stages.

I also move that Delfino Plaza beput on the list as one of Sonics worst stages

If you need an explanation why, let me know.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Also, Sonic is ****ing awesome on Brinstar. Delfino is indeed one of his worse stages. Also, Castle Siege is pretty useless for Sonic.

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
green greens is great for olimar cuz he can camp well but it is small enough they can't run away and the blocks help get time for pickmin pluck. a purple to the bomb is deadly. platforms make aeirials and smashes easy

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
sheik does fine on japes.You can really CP sheik IMO.

Wolf does fine on lylat.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
green greens is great for olimar cuz he can camp well but it is small enough they can't run away and the blocks help get time for pickmin pluck. a purple to the bomb is deadly. platforms make aeirials and smashes easy
Another reason why it shouldn't be allowed. Olimar already camps far better than anyone in brawl.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how Norfair is a good counterpick for Pikachu. Would someone like to explain to me how this is so?

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
While I was looking at the thread I noticed Peach does not have a worst stage. Can anybody explain why or was it just a mistake?

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
While I was looking at the thread I noticed Peach does not have a worst stage. Can anybody explain why or was it just a mistake?
They probably haven't found a "bad stage" for her yet....

or Peach is just that good...

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
With the new stage list, Peach lost all her worst stages. Notably Corneria, then the more obscure Onett and Skyworld.

We need to find new ones. Lylat is good for Peach Dekuu. >___>

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
With the new stage list, Peach lost all her worst stages. Notably Corneria, then the more obscure Onett and Skyworld.

We need to find new ones. Lylat is good for Peach Dekuu. >___>
Rainbow Cruise and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) are her worst stages.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Here are my thoughts on some of the characters who dont have all 3 stages for best/worst yet.

Donkey Kong
Best: Brinstar, Jungle Japes
Worst: Frigate Orpheon, Rainbow Cruise

For DK I would put his 3rd best stage easily being Luigi's Mansion, his ground pound is vicious here.

Ice Climbers
Best: Final Destination, Smashville, Pictochat
Worst: Rainbow Cruise

For Climbers I would put Norfair as one of the Climbers worst stages, Platforms maake it a bit harder (though not to much) for them to get there grab, and alot of characters with disjointed hit boxes will outshine them here.

Marth
Best: Battlefield, Delfino Plaza
Worst: Brinstar, Jungle Japes

For Marth... Marth likes Platforms so I would honestly say that Final D is a not so great stage for him, Marth easily adapts so its hard to CP him, but I would go FD.

Ness
Best: Delfino Plaza, Brinstar, Pirate Ship
Worst: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island (Melee)

I dunno what the everyone else thinks but I would say Luigis Mansion hurts Ness...

Snake
Best: Norfair, Halberd, Smashville
Worst: Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise

I personally would say that Lylat is better for snake than Halberd...but thats me.

Wolf
Best: Smashville, Yoshi's Island
Worst: Lylat Cruise

I would think Frigate Orpheon would be bad for Wolf because of his awkward recovery and the lack of grabable edges.

Feel free to discuss or disregard, lol.

urfat

Smash Cadet
a far worse counterpick for ivysaur then port town, is is summit... he gots no ledges to latch! possibly should be olimar's biggest counterpick too? but for my pokemanz summit= ivy ****

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
ORLY? What's worse for him then?

Also, Brinstar is one of Snake's best stages IMO. There are a couple characters that you shouldn't take there (i.e. wario and MK) but other than that Snake completely ***** on that stage. You can add that stage if you'd like to.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
MK has some stupid way to abuse every stage in the game, except final D

Its not a bad stage for him, becuase its very neutral but it is his worst stage just because of the overall neutrality of the stage, and the fact that people that have GR shenanigans on him like marth, shiek, ZSS and sonic, dont have said moves inhibited by this stage

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Nope I don't think so. You'd pretty much have to combine every character matchup thread from all the boards to get that, and a lot of them aren't even close to being done with it (the snake boards for example). I think it's a good idea though.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
For Marth... Marth likes Platforms so I would honestly say that Final D is a not so great stage for him, Marth easily adapts so its hard to CP him, but I would go FD.

I dunno what the everyone else thinks but I would say Luigis Mansion hurts Ness...

I personally would say that Lylat is better for snake than Halberd...but thats me.
Thanks, awesome post. I agreed with everything except for these three statements.

For Marth, I couldn't believe a starter stage could be his worst without a Marth main declaring it so. I'll stay sceptical.

Luigi's I know is good for Ness, his PK Thunder can be spammed through the middle and PK Fire on the pillars creates an instant fire wall. Just to name a few tricks.

And Halberd would be superior to Lylat if only for the low ceiling, the only advantage I'd see for Lylat is that it's dark. xD

MK has some stupid way to abuse every stage in the game, except final D
^^^
This. Plus the MKs told me so.

is there a "character" counterpicking made easy list?
I don't believe there is. Interesting idea though.

Top Bottom