• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone should play League of Legends

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The high-end metagame right now revolves around running around in 4 to 5-man ganksquads for 60% of the game. AoE combos are more powerful right now than they were in 5.84 DotA. No matter how good you are at this game, you simply can't carry a team of idiots. Hell, you can't carry a team with one idiot.
Valldor just went 15-0-17 or something of the sort.

It was me, my two brothers, Thinkaman, and Valldor. Valldor does this consistently, no matter who he is teamed with. I think I've lost once with Valldor on my team, and one of our teammates was 0-12 and I was doing poorly that game as well. You CAN carry a team, it just takes a lot of effort and care.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699

I couldn't carry this team. I don't think anyone could. I'd love to see this Valldor try though.

I was 3-0 before dying the first time...Twitch was 0-6 by then.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Valldor just went 15-0-17 or something of the sort.

It was me, my two brothers, Thinkaman, and Valldor. Valldor does this consistently, no matter who he is teamed with. I think I've lost once with Valldor on my team, and one of our teammates was 0-12 and I was doing poorly that game as well. You CAN carry a team, it just takes a lot of effort and care.
Take a look at Vally's recent games. Straight losses (until you just won apparently). Seriously, when I looked (like 2-3 hours ago) he had 0 wins. Vally is definitely good, but I think he needs a team that works well with him or he doesn't do so hot. He's usually between those 2 extremes as far as I've seen.

Airborne

Smash Lord
In-houses aren't really happening right now since everyone is in a frenzy for influence points now that the store is out. Even if we all got together we probably wouldn't find a team to play against.
...well that's dumb.

I can explain some things that contribute to the teamwork aspect though;
go on... * leans back in chair and makes teepee shape with hands.... lol..... teepee....*

-Summoner spells, particularly heal and teleport. Heal can be used as a surprise counter-gank or just to give your team a little more lasting power for a push. Teleport is essentially a free boots of travel; having that kind of mobility makes you much more able to respond to your team's needs, and also forces the other team to be aware of nearby creeps that someone could teleport to to assist in a team fight.
i do like having a free mek and BoT, tbh.

-As mentioned above, carries are squishy as hell. Unless completely stacked, a carry will need help ganking someone to ensure they don't get killed as soon as someone else shows up to help their target.
all the heroes that i played against in my last game had well over 2k hp, and appeared to be carries or nukers to me.... o.o

-The neutral creeps provide game-altering buffs, and this means you need to be aware of when they are spawning and you need to be able to deny the enemy team their neutral creeps. In DotA they were just an alternate way of getting gold, in LoL they can turn the tide of a fight.
so you get the buffs when you last hit them?

-Nashor (Roshan) provides a superpowered version of the creep buffs to your whole team, meaning he is vastly more important in this game, and being able to ambush the enemy team at him or steal the kill will tip the scales of the game.
i like the sound of that.

-Everyone has a bluepill; an 8 second channeled spell that returns them to their shop but is interrupted by any damage. This makes it much harder to trap someone at low health at their tower and wait for them to come out to gank them because they can just bluepill; it means that you need to know you can get a kill before you commit to it and waste your hp/mana/cooldowns, and usually that requires teamwork.
i think i'd rather pay the small amount of gold for a TP scroll, but it's too easy to get money on this game, so i see why they implemented it... -.-

-Brush scattered around the map that you can hide in allows for more dynamic retreating, juking, baiting, ganking, and even 'mindgames' (for instance you could let your opponent see you enter the brush to make him wary of a gank and sit back instead of last-hitting creeps even though no gank is coming). There's even a convenient wall of brush in front of Nashor's area which is often used as bait for 5-man ganks; as soon as all 5 are missing someone usually gets the idea to check Nashor, and if they go alone they die.
i like how they did this moreso than using trees... although this can't be a fun "MOBA" meme anymore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVpO9qnFS0

-There are almost no entirely passive ranked abilities in this game, and no character has more than 1 passive (although every character has an additional passive buff that is not included in their 4 ranked skills) allowing for far more ability combinations between different heroes. None of that "disabler stuns them then N'aix presses 'R' and eats them; rinse, repeat".
ok so at least it's not as bad as HoN's first attempt at making their original hero, Madman. (press two keys and run in battle; GG! <----- apparently chinese for ***** if said in a certain way...)

well i'll be sure to add some people here, and i'll try to play at least 1 game a day, depending on what I am up to during said day.

edit: btw, my favorite two heroes so far are the armadillo guy and the yeti rider. ^___^

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
My bad for not specifying physical carries. AP carries can be pretty tanky since they all run around with Rylai's and one or more Rods of Ages. Carries like Ashe, Teemo, Yi, Twitch...they all die in a couple seconds of focus fire unless they spent a bunch of money on something like a Banshee's Veil. Also what you may have seen is the current trend of tanks being played as carries. Some tanks like Blitz, Kayle (for physical), Cho and Nunu (for AP) can build as carries and disregard their role as tanks; they end up being nearly as effective as the standard carries but much more resilient. Then there's Katarina who's meant to be a hybrid carry (she can be built as either AP or physical, but AP is much less viable after the nerf to AP scaling this patch) and yet her most effective build is actually a tank build. Basically there's a lot of builds which should be considered unorthodox but are instead becoming pretty standard right now... I'm not sure if anything is being done about this, but it makes things pretty interesting.

And yes, you get the neutral creep buffs when you last-hit them (Ancient Golem, Lizard Elder, and Baron Nashor specifically). Dragon is also worth 165g to the entire team that last-hits it, and Baron Nashor 400g to the team.

edit: Also I just looked up Valldor and noticed he plays Anivia; arguably the best champion in the game right now :). The community calls her cryOP for a reason.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
My brother is down for it too. And Valldor is a good friend of Thinka, so I'm sure he'd be in for it. We could totally have a team of 5 right there.

황미영

Smash Champion
Heck, if anything I could join on it too. O:

I can't play it on my computer but I can play it at a friends house. I forgot the ladies name but she has wings and long purple hair. But that's the character I use.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, i'm tired of everyone on my team feeding.... -.-
i'm 1-2 or 1-3 with games because of it...
i might as well pick someone who can mildly carry just to gank like a son of a *****.

edit: btw, do you guys use vent or anything?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ok, i'm tired of everyone on my team feeding.... -.-
i'm 1-2 or 1-3 with games because of it...
i might as well pick someone who can mildly carry just to gank like a son of a *****.

edit: btw, do you guys use vent or anything?
I don't, cuz the one time I tried it my connection was ****!

Might be getting zoomtown soon though, which should be better than this wireless POS we have going on atm.

and don't worry about your early record. I was going straight 50% for a long time, and as I gained levels the people I played with improved. At low levels you are effectively on "noob island", which doesn't end until you hit level 10 or so. Once I hit level 11 or 12, my win % soared even with solo queing. It's really a ton better, just use this time to experiment with champions and BOs, and send friend requests to whoever does well on the enemy team. Focus on not dying yourself and they'll add you and then you can go with a buddy!

Airborne

Smash Lord
well, i found 2 new favorite heroes: Sion and Teric. went 7-5-17 with my first game as Teric, only because their master Yi was just singling out people, but we still bent them over a table.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I can't stand Taric. So boring to play. I'd rather play Soraka. =P

Sion is pretty beastly though.

Give him bloodthirster and he never has to go home.

Airborne

Smash Lord
well i'm not sure if I've said this before, but I am probably the biggest support wh*** in the world. I am obsessed with playing the disabler, the supporter, the ganker, etc. I even played healing spec'd pallies and priests for the time that I played WoW. Omniknight was technically the first hero that I played on DotA.. It's how I roll. Sure carries carry the team, but they can't do **** without good support and possibly even some babysittin'. =P

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I couldn't carry this team. I don't think anyone could. I'd love to see this Valldor try though.

I was 3-0 before dying the first time...Twitch was 0-6 by then.
Eh, I dunno. After playing with you I didn't really see anything particularly impressive. You're on the same level as most of the "above average" players I've seen, so I don't think you could really carry a team. Valdor has been able to carry pretty consistently, I haven't seen many at his level. It's understandable that you might not have seen it yet.

Airborne

Smash Lord

now isn't this just plain silly? sure, a carry can't turn the tides, but can a tank? yep.

edit: didn't mean for the white space to be there >___>

edit edit: let's just say that they still had 3 of their tier 2 towers left by the time that they were in our base... my taunts are too pro...

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Eh, I dunno. After playing with you I didn't really see anything particularly impressive. You're on the same level as most of the "above average" players I've seen, so I don't think you could really carry a team. Valdor has been able to carry pretty consistently, I haven't seen many at his level. It's understandable that you might not have seen it yet.
Flu johns and stuff. I wouldn't expect how I've been playing to be impressive.

I do know that I've carried countless teams in DotA, but just the fact that champions have more life and do less damage in this game make it much harder to catch someone off-guard and take them down before they can react. The ability to carry in this game very heavily depends on the opposing team's awareness of the map.

edit:

Valldor's definitely good, but I can't say I noticed anything spectacular about him. I can say I noticed something spectacularly bad about my team though. This is why I hate solo queuing, I get the short bus special every **** game. On top of getting these idiots in a solo queue, I got paired against a premade of good players (I actually play with Gnome too).

I was watching Valldor pretty much the whole game when I could, though we were in different lanes...we both stayed around the same record (we were both 4-1 for a while) until my team decided they were going to play with their toes or something and the snowballing began.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Flu johns and stuff. I wouldn't expect how I've been playing to be impressive.

I do know that I've carried countless teams in DotA, but just the fact that champions have more life and do less damage in this game make it much harder to catch someone off-guard and take them down before they can react. The ability to carry in this game very heavily depends on the opposing team's awareness of the map.

edit:

Valldor's definitely good, but I can't say I noticed anything spectacular about him. I can say I noticed something spectacularly bad about my team though. This is why I hate solo queuing, I get the short bus special every **** game. On top of getting these idiots in a solo queue, I got paired against a premade of good players (I actually play with Gnome too).

I was watching Valldor pretty much the whole game when I could, though we were in different lanes...we both stayed around the same record (we were both 4-1 for a while) until my team decided they were going to play with their toes or something and the snowballing began.
this reminded me of one thing actually.... in LoL, not many people call mia's or plan ganks together.... -.- it really bugs me... also, what summoner level do you guys want me at before you'll start playing with me? i'm at a decent level of playing, and i'm a great support/tank user for my skill level.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd just get past noob island. It'll be tough at early levels to play with other people because we have runes / masteries. Level 21 is the big one (almost there myself), but when you're around level 14 or so you shouldn't be far behind at all.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Panda: I've never played LoL, heh. Just doing a troll comment. I've played Dota since version 3ish. HoN pretty much took the same gameplay, but added some very convenient features such as built in team voice chat AND even LANE chat. HoN also did the gamerooms better. Games can be remade a lot quicker. Again not sure how different it is from LoL. Come to the next OUGA tourne and we can discuss this further. :p

So for those who don't know, HoN is like DotA 2 (or will be if they ever catch up on hero amount).

I'll prolly download it sometime next week to give it a try. Name will most likely be and always shall be: TheKiest

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Airborne, OS is 100% right. 21 is the most important level as the 21 point masteries are all amazing (particularly presence of the master, depending on build). Pretty sure the game moves you out of newbie island when you hit 1600 Elo or level 6(?), whichever comes first. Although when you queue with a team it adjusts your Elo upwards a bit, so there shouldn't bee too many newbies floating around.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
New patch in the test realm comin' tomorrow morning apparently. I think Udyr might be playable, too <3

Airborne

Smash Lord
played dota with some of my friends again.... skill level is DEFINITELY higher on average than in HoN and LoL. felt awkward returning to it, but had a blast playing Crystal Maiden, Tidehunter, and Puck as a much better player than i was the last time i had played....

still playing all 3 "MOBA's" though, don't try and talk me out of it; i have friends playing all of them, and all of them think that the one they play is the best of the 3. o.O

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Warwick sucks balls. I mean, he can be great in the right circumstances or with the right kind of team, but for the most part he's laughable.
I hate having a warwick on my team. Half of the time, they are so obsessed with the idea of jungling that they completely ingore the outside world and abandon the rest of the team when the team can't afford to let them do so.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've been having my best luck lately with heimerdinger.

I hear that should be uncommon

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
A lot of people don't have a clue how to use heimer, and it's even rarer for a pug team to grasp how to use him on their team to improve map control. A lot of these people go to the forums and whine that heimer is useless / the worst champ in the game. Recently about 4 or 5 high level players came in and told them all to stfu because heimer is fine and just requires a unique set of knowledge to fully utilize.

Properly placed turrets can make a tower nearly impossible to take down. Or they can take down an enemy tower by keeping the lane clear, or they can give your team an additional pseudo-tower to run to. More importantly though; grenades. Grenades do a ton of damage and damage towers. They damage towers from a range which cannot be defended against. In team fights they will usually stun 1 hero and always blind a few. Rylai's allows his missiles to slow an entire team - once again from a range which cannot be defended against - allowing your team more opportunity to better position themselves for a push or gank.

In other news; I am the best Kassadin in the game. :)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I like to stack my heimerdinger with:

- Mercury Treads
- Archangel's Staff
- Frozen Heart
- Aegis of the Legion
- Rylai's Sceptre
- Zhonya's Ring

that combination gives him, and everything around him (including turrets) good survivability, it gives him awesome AP, it gives him the ability to spam spells and it lets all of his spells slow. I really do think it's quite a nice build. Once I get to the rylai's part, it's hard to take me down.

Heimer has an incredible power when it comes to map control and, if the other team doesn't respect that, they'll fall to you time and time again.

(start with meki pendant -> philosopher's stone of course)

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Heimer is much better with some heal/support on his team. He really shines middle game with Taric/Soracco, but nunu can counter his turrents with his chomp D:

For items I would get more cd reduction sonic, like soul shroud instead of archangels staff. He doesn't need very much AP to be effective, I get cd reduction/mana regen/hp.
Also consider spirit visage in AP-heavy enemy-champion-games

I've been playing around with twisted fate, what do you guys think between going AP vs Dmg with him? Going ap makes his Tri-cards hurt late game, so he becomes an aoe nuke spammer in teamfights, but going dmg makes him the king of bding bases.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
If Heimer gets Rylai's, do his turrets slow on hit?
no. because the turrets are pets.

think of it this way:
he doesn't have to press any button to make the turrets fire.

that would be like if tibbers slowed you everytime he came near, or if amumu slowed you with despair Or nasus with his ult,s aura. or, god forbid, singe's poison trail.

Pretty sure there needs to be a targeted spell.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
edit: ****, meant to combine posts instead of double posting.
For items I would get more cd reduction sonic, like soul shroud instead of archangels staff. He doesn't need very much AP to be effective, I get cd reduction/mana regen/hp.
Also consider spirit visage in AP-heavy enemy-champion-games.
no. His Ult gives you 20% CD redux and the cap is 40%.

as it is, you are wasting 5% with frozen heart, getting more CD redux is completely worthless.

Furthermore, since he naturally gets so much CD redux, he will be able to cast spells often, but his spells cost a LOT of mana.

Without archangel's, he doesn't have a chance to spam his spells. Without the ability to spam spells, what's the use of having CD redux? He's more likely to go OoM than to have everything useful on cooldown even with this build. Replacing his highest mana item with more CD redux just makes the problem worse.

Archangel's staff is a lot of AP, but, more than that, it's a ****-ton of mana and respectable mana regen.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
no. because the turrets are pets.

think of it this way:
he doesn't have to press any button to make the turrets fire.

that would be like if tibbers slowed you everytime he came near, or if amumu slowed you with despair Or nasus with his ult,s aura. or, god forbid, singe's poison trail.

Pretty sure there needs to be a targeted spell.
You'd think that, but Gang's ult slows with Rylai's.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You'd think that, but Gang's ult slows with Rylai's.
it's still a targetted spell. you target an area rather than a person, but it's still a target.

heimerdinger's grenade will slow units in the targetted area as will veigar's dark matter, for example.

And annie's bear WOULD slow enemies on the spot that she summons them if it didn't already stun them, rendering the slow worthless.

heimer's actual ability is to drop the turret. And dropping the turret has no hurtbox.

in order for the turrets to slow, they would have to have rylai's equiped on them, but they don's since turrets are considered their own units rather than extensions of heimerdinger.

if that weren't the case, they would have the effects of ALL of his items, which could make them quite ridiculous.

Top Bottom