• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garde's Link Guide

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
At the moment, we at the SWF seem to have hit a plateau of SSBM knowledge for now....
Things are going slow for now, when i get my cube back, they'll be more Link discussion. But as for now...

Does anyone know/use Link's short-jump back A then double jump to another back A? I know that sounded a little weird, but if you jump, and immediately do Link's back a, you can pull of another jump and do another back A, with some characters even making it a 4-hit combo. You could also do a foward A or stab during the second jump. It's a good tactic and i don't see too many Link players use it.

X Japan

Smash Lord
that move was added to my Link game a month ago.u can ask Kubuu about cuz me and Mike (Evil Peach18) showed it to him last Wed when he came to my house to play me.we call it jump canceling when u short hop and back+A real quick and after the double kick animation quickly tap up on the control stick and if u did it right u can do any of the A moves with that second jump.the hardest is the stab(since u may accidently fast fall if u miss the A).

this trick can be done(to do the second jump) with either the control stick(easy) or the jump button(hard, but more distance).with the jump button its more timing in evoled.

Garde

Smash Ace
Interesting stuff.

Wow, after watching some vids of some guys play at tournies, I just found out that you can drop to midair jump f-air (Kubuu, I believe that's what you were talking about, I thought you were talking about just jumping from hanging on the ledge) to land on the ground. This is pretty useful with every character, to my knowledge, so for those of you that didn't know of this, start learning it. If you do it right, it'll look like you just jump, you don't drop from the ledge, and some characters can only make it if you time it right (I think Roy is like that).

odins45

Smash Rookie
Not only is was this guide helpful to me as a beginner in Super Smash Brothers Melee but it's very detailed. I liked how all the moves showed the damage percentiles and which ones I should use more in a battle. Helpful indeed...

SNTRL

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm also learned and still is alot since i joined this board.
One moooore thing, this might make me sound like a newbie or somethin but what does f-air means. Like i said im still learning.
Holla!!!

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
One moooore thing, this might make me sound like a newbie or somethin but what does f-air means.
Jump, and push foward A. Simple as that. Most people call aerial A moves foward air, or f-air. I can understand though, people get tired of typing the same thing over and over, so i guess f-air works. And WD into d-tilt, and mabye CC into d-strong to fast fall f-air to baby hop neutral hex WD baby hop d-air cancel repeat :dizzy: you following me?:bee:

Garde

Smash Ace
Quit spamming up my thread! :p

I did follow, although I'm unsure as to what the **** a d-strong is, I'm guessing it's the same thing as a d-tilt, although who knows. Oh yeah, what you said is impossible to pull off. :p That is, of course, unless you left out a lot of the steps to try and make it more confusing.... Oh yeah, I know it was a joke....

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for not posting much. But with 40hours of work a week you kinda lose the interest of posting and go straight for anime...or food. All that can be found at Cory's house :).

Alright for everyones information. I would have posted this sooner but like the above paragraph said, I kinda just didn't want to do it after getting off work you know. Alright about the whole ordeal about more degrees in jumping. Cory made me realize that after picking up sheik like 6months ago (I picked her up for about 2 weeks...thought it would help me learn more about her and increase the speed in my game, which only one of those actually happened and thats the speed part...i learned NOTHING on how to defend myself :p) I noticed that when I picked up sheik it became a habit of mine to pressure drop asap as I lifted off the ground from my first job. Sorry if I got everyone confused on that. There are variations to the jump...just have to pressure drop at certian points for those variations.

Second, Learn what to CC and what not to. I'm all for the sacrifices believe me. But CC'ing a move you have no idea how much impact will deal is stupid. Some move's can't be CC'ed at ALL. They either make you do a standing stun flip (its where someone spikes you from the air and you CC and just end up flipping in place ready to eat something else) or just knock you straight into the ground (aka spikes). But use crouch canceling only when you have something to follow it up with. Just doing a couple of damage here and there isnt going to cut it. Some characters you can down smash at least 3 times before they can recover, that is something that is worth Crouch canceling.

MAKE THIS NOTE PERFECTLY CLEAR FOR THE NOOBS THAT JUST CAME IN....WHATEVER ****ING REASON DO NOT CROUCH CANCEL A PEACH. One certain move actually. You crouch cancel it and you go from 0 to 75% damage in a second. Literally, and theres no way out of it when your caught. So again LEARN what moves not to crouch cancel and which ones you can. Also do not crouch cancel unless you have a follow up with your move.

This is about the F-air and double back kick L-canceling yall were talking about.

Double back Kick- If done correctly there isnt really a reason of jumping away. If done perfect, as in hitting tiptoe and l-canceling, you can do it over and over and over again. Jump back kick l-cancel when landing then do it all over again. This is by far the biggest trouble I have. I can not l-cancel at all really. The down and up stab are the only things I can l-cancel and I mess those up a majority of the time. Fango from Crystal City and also Yokoson from flowermound both use Link, their ability to L-cancel is insane. They can make Link move in ways I cant. Fango can make Link move fast enough to catch up and probably be as fast as a sheik, that goes the same for Yoko. Only reason why I can beat them is because I know Link more. But that sheer ability to L-cancel makes them perfectly protected in each arial move. *Also a note about the downstab.

just to say this so people dont post nonesense afterwards about using C-stick.....To those that think using the C-stick is gay, I really don't care what the reasons are, thats your opinion and problem, they have no barring on this or blah blah blah blah blah...there you happy now?? good so dont post anything about this, just either go with it and say "HEY thats so much better or cooler blah blah blah", no post about how using the c-stick makes your a sissy or loser or blah blah blah.....and that should do it

Use the c-stick. It solves all your problems about short hopping and downstabbing. C-sticking has no directional influence WHATSOEVER. (would like to reinerate that this was mastersword that used this move initially with great accuracy and skill) Use the c-stick.

About the f-air. The reason why people use it in the air and pressure drop with it (those that have known about great job those that dont know why....well here goes) the sword takes time to pull out. Any actual Air move your might want to use will be the sex kick. The f-air is a great powerful attack when used to follow up on attacks or hitting ground enemies. Notice I said following up. This move is really slow, and the problem with that is against any other character...they probably already pulled out an attack before you could swing your sword. Using it as a follow up makes sure they cant gaurd it or attack faster than it. Hitting grounding enemies is perfect for the soul purpose of the sheild stun. If l-canceled you are perfectly safe. Using any first upper part of the sword to connect keeps you well out of grab range and eats the shield like a mother.

Well I'm gonna go to sleep now....I know I didnt touch on everything I wanted too....but I'll try. I have really got to finish version 2 of my guide and other stuff....STUPID WORK....actualy its alright...i get to eat at Cory's afterwards so its nice :).

Those are my 2 cents

Garde

Smash Ace
Ok guys, I have some info for you all.

I couldn't remember if you guys were doing the b-air from a short hop or a normal one, so I tested it out in training mode. Just to let you know, in my version, it's impossible to jump out of a short hopped b-air. In my version, I checked, and the animation of the attack doesn't end until after you land on the ground (I zoomed up close and was testing to see if you have a landing lag animation, and it does). Now, if you're talking about L-Cancelling the first one and then double jumping backwards to the opponent, I can see that happening, but you can't short hop b-air and then jump out of it to another one, or any aerial attack, unless you're jumping off of something so you have more air time than usual. I have the last version of the game, so they might've made the attack have a longer animation, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna share some tricks with you...

Using the neutral or b-air on an opponent in the air (higher than short hop height) allows you to advantage WD (WD coming from the air) and you can get some crazy distance (as with any advantage WD), but it allows you to keep a juggle going for a lot longer by sliding on the ground towards the opponent who's still in the air.

Here's another trick for those of you like me who can't WaveDance. Instead of WaveDancing, I've found something almost exactly the same in effect. It mixes DashDancing and WaveDancing together, so you dash and WD back repeatedly. I think it's faster than WaveDancing and gives you almost as many choices.

I've been playing training mode only for a while, cuz my brother doesn't like to play too often, and I've just been working on coordinating my attacks and multi-tasking, if you will. Doing things like attacking to WDing, catching a bomb and WDing when I land, etc.

There were a lot of things I wasn't so good at when those vids were made (don't think I ever posted the link in here, so here it is: http://garde.codetime.com/ssbm/ , Kenshin, you better post something about them!). I've mostly fixed my L-Cancelling problems that were there, and I'm slowly learning how to WD instead of roll, because WDing is harder to punish in most cases. And I've learned to NOT jump into Roy or Marth's f-smash, that's a no-no. I'm pretty sure those two are the only ones that have an attack used regularly that covers a fair range in front and above them, although I'm thinking Falcon's and Samus's up-tilt might be similar, although they're not really used too often, in my experiences (mainly edge guarding moves). I don't d-air as much, and I use a lot more of my aerial moves, and I'm even learning how to time them so that they finish before I land so I can advantage WD from them to keep my opponent in the air more effectively.

Kenshin, good luck with Guide ver. 2, are you gonna be starting a new thread or keeping it in the old one? Oh yeah, not posting is completely understandable, you were busy, but I WAS wondering where you had been....

Garde

Smash Ace
Originally posted by odins45
Not only is was this guide helpful to me as a beginner in Super Smash Brothers Melee but it's very detailed. I liked how all the moves showed the damage percentiles and which ones I should use more in a battle. Helpful indeed...
How rude of me... I'm sorry, for not replying to this sooner... Thanks for the compliments odins45, I put a lot of time into this guide, so when people say I did a good job, I feel like it was worth all the effort I put into it. :)

I'm probably going to revise it in the future, although it was such a huge task to begin with, I don't really feel like going through it and making a lot of corrections. There are a lot of tactics and tricks not mentioned in there for Link that are now part of my casual gaming, and I have had a lot more game experience since I wrote it, so some of the information in there is false, and I need to change it. A lot of the info was based upon my experiences, and I had never played against skilled players until I met the DA, I have learned a lot ever since I played them (and lost to them), but I just don't feel like going through my 32 page guide and fixing everything.... If you want to catch up on everything, I highly recommend skimming this thread for some useful info, most of the stuff I've learned is in here somewhere....

SNTRL

Smash Lord
I can now practically WD anytime i want to but when i use it Link doesn't seem to go very far(guess cause high traction or somethin or maybe im not pushin forward and back far enough). I don't beleive its that i'm not pushin far enough. My real problem is that i can't immediately attack after the WD animation is finish, which leaves me open a lil?
Holla!!!

Garde

Smash Ace
I have the same problem, and I think everyone does. The thing is, Link's traction is so high that by the time he's able to perform a move, his WD is over (not to mention that his moves are slow)...

His WD is mainly used to escape things (going backwards, then f-smashing out of it), but he does seem to go faster and farther from advantage WDing than normal WDing... I had always thought that advantage WDing took people farther, but someone told me it's just that I hold down a more horizontal direction on the controller, I disagree with them now. I was holding the control stick at a 45 degree angle downward and I got far more distance from advantage WDing (it was also faster) than with a normal WD with the control stick held at a 45 degree angle downward.

X Japan

Smash Lord
its really based on timing of ur hand and eyes.cuz when i was 1st doing this tactic i would WDback and be standing there like a fool for a good sec and try to smash forward+A, but i would either miss the whole ending animation of the WD and be standing there not doing anything or finally getting the WD out and forward+A, but it took me a while to really perfect it.so it just takes some time.

with Link's WD even though it doesn't go to far ppl won't think u will use it in battle so u have a short time advantage in battle and u should be able to avoid attacks in the air or a grab, but these also needs timing to be work on also.

Garde

Smash Ace
I can do an attack by the end of my WD, but I can't perform an attack while Link slides. Can you X Japan? I don't remember you attacking while sliding, I remember you attacking after you finished sliding, like right after you finished sliding though.

X Japan

Smash Lord
misunderstanding sorry i mean after i do the WD i do forward+A so it looks like its in one big movement.u can't cancle in to a attack during the WD(i'm not sure, but now it makes me think to try next time i play).had to clear that up.

oh yea i'm taking a 2-3 day break from smash due to that i had my fill of smash for the week.with this time now i can put more time into my drawing and play some SC2.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
I did follow, although I'm unsure as to what the **** a d-strong is, I'm guessing it's the same thing as a d-tilt, although who knows. Oh yeah, what you said is impossible to pull off. That is, of course, unless you left out a lot of the steps to try and make it more confusing.... Oh yeah, I know it was a joke....
lol, in the beginning it was just random stuff, but the CC into d strong(down smash, i heard someone say that and thought it was pretty cool:) ) is a good tactic with Link. Like Kenshin was saying, you gotta know what to CC and what not to CC, but a downsmash immediately afterwards is a quick counterattack.

The whole baby jump fastfall twist shine stuff was Fox's infinite. I kinda switched characters in the middle, but hey, it was meant not to make too much sense.:D

Onto the whole attack during an WD. I don't think you can do it. Only guys like Marth and Luigi can pull stuff like that off. Plus, Link has like, one of the shortest WD's, along with Peach and Zelda, so many think it's not too useful. My opinion? You have a wide variety of moves, WD'ing makes them wider.

I couldn't remember if you guys were doing the b-air from a short hop or a normal one, so I tested it out in training mode. Just to let you know, in my version, it's impossible to jump out of a short hopped b-air. In my version, I checked, and the animation of the attack doesn't end until after you land on the ground (I zoomed up close and was testing to see if you have a landing lag animation, and it does). Now, if you're talking about L-Cancelling the first one and then double jumping backwards to the opponent, I can see that happening, but you can't short hop b-air and then jump out of it to another one, or any aerial attack, unless you're jumping off of something so you have more air time than usual. I have the last version of the game, so they might've made the attack have a longer animation, but I doubt it.
hmmm....man i wish i could put vids online...

I actually don't know about it being different from the different versions, i've never played the newest version (the PAL one, i think) so i can't help you there. All i can say is do it immediately after your jump. Right when you leave the ground, you should start kicking, and then start mashing the jump button, cause it's tough to time it and press jump again once(if you press up on the control stick x japan, you probably got it down pact). That's about all i can help. But in all honesty, i rarely use this move. I always go for the short-jump back a fastfall cancel repeat. This is just good to throw off a persons game.

Hey X Japan, am i suppost to officially challenge you in the NYC topic? Cause you not gonna avoid the Link ditto match we're having at Game Over.:beezo:

D

Deleted member

When I use Link (rarely cause I suck) I use WD alot actually. Which is good I guess, considering that I don't use roll dodge. But a quick WD to grab or WD to up B is helpful from time to time. Of course, you can WD in and light shield for an easy shield grab once in a while, when Link tries a WD in, there's always going to be some lag before an attack, and the opponent will *usually* try to exploit this. But shield has no lag, so I cancel the slide with the shield, and immediately grab. If your opponent tries to grab you during shield, it's ok, your grab is longer so you'll get it.

I can actually USE Zelda and Jiggly good, and I WD with them constantly. WD is useful with all characters. But it's much more difficult, I agree.

X Japan

Smash Lord
Originally posted by SS4Ricky
Right when you leave the ground, you should start kicking, and then start mashing the jump button, cause it's tough to time it and press jump again once(if you press up on the control stick x japan, you probably got it down pact). That's about all i can help. But in all honesty, i rarely use this move. I always go for the short-jump back a fastfall cancel repeat. This is just good to throw off a persons game.

Hey X Japan, am i suppost to officially challenge you in the NYC topic? Cause you not gonna avoid the Link ditto match we're having at Game Over.:beezo:

whatever dude.i just want to play the game.

SNTRL

Smash Lord
About Link's WD, i can pull his off about 4/5 of the time but with other fighters i use like sheik,Y.Link,and Marth. I can pull of too easy for them. So my question is that do Link jump faster than them or somethin?
I know this might sound impossible, but he sometimes jumps before i can use the stick and L/R to make him WD.

X Japan

Smash Lord
have u ever try to WD with Koopa.its dumb hard.some ppl say Link's WD is almost as bad as Koopa's.i don't know all the details but i think it has to do with the Heavyness of the Character

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
nah it's the starting time/laggyness of the jump.. bowser has the laggiest jump in the game so naturally you won't be hitting the trigger to WD at the same time as say Fox, Sheik, or Pichu who all have pretty much instantaneous jumps with minimal starting time

Garde

Smash Ace
There are several frames before Link actually jumps, you can't press L/R during that time, otherwise he'll just jump. That's probably what you're doing. I even mentioned it in my guide, that if you're jumping even if you're pressing L/R, then you're probably pressing it too fast. The characters with laggy jumps (Bowser and Link) have much more difficult WDes, while everyone else's are around the same time, these characters have unique timing involved in WDing. The rest of the characters don't have the same timing necessarily (although some do, it all depends on the amount of frames that are before the actual jump), but the frame difference is so small that you can WD with most characters with little diffficulty if you can WD with one (the reason I always get screwed up when I start WDing with people other than Link).

ZelgadisQmega

Smash Apprentice
linkdashing

For some reason I find it easier to wave dash with Y and R than X and R with Link and other slower characters like Ganondorf, But I wave dash easier with X and R with fast wave dashers like Samus, Luigi, Mario, and Y Link.

DMStudios

Smash Journeyman
Arrowed. . . .

I don't know if this has been brought up before(I read most of this thread), but does anyone use Link's bow effectively? I mean it is great for coming back from oblivion to deter edge-guarding, and it is great for setting up forward-aerials'. (jump, uncharged arrow, forward-aerial, or double jump forward-aerial, or even WD as you land into grab, or down smash) I find it extremely useful against Shin Ganondorf, amongst other people. Just wanted to know what your guys' opinion about the Bow is.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the arrows are mad useful, but don't seem to find their way into many people's tactics. I use the arrows as a means of added delay. This is to say that if I throw a bomb at someone from far away, and it connects, I'll try to get an arrow of over there as a means to juggle while I work my way towards and enemy. Most of the time though, I try to keep my opponent busy with others things so I can get off a fully charged arrow. It's really useful for opponents who tend to catch items alot. If you can manage to throw a bomb and have them attempt to catch it, you'll have enough time to send an arrow their way while they're busy with the bomb. It's also excellent for stopping projectiles such as fireballs, ground thrown radishes from peach, Ness' PK fire, etc. If you're fast enough, you can shoot through enemies projectiles when they toss them at you, in most cases causing explosive items to blow up on them. It's also good for starting standoffs and preventing rushes. And since you can temporarily stow a bomb away while you take a shot, it gives you control of the ground and air, as in if the opponent attempts to jump over the arrow, you have a bomb waiting for them. However, the arrows get ranked 3rd in my projectile hierarchy, with bombs on top.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Punt....dag yo.

I don't really use them too much, but when i'm facing projectile happy samuses, or needle spamming sheiks, i pull it out. Not only do they give that "tap" you need to set up a combo, they'll stop any projectile while their on the ground. So I always try and leave a few around just in case. Charged up in a 1v1 isn't that good, i always try and keep 'em light. But yeah, i use them. If i go to spam mode, i'll pull out the bombs, arrows, boomerangs, hookshots, everything to play keep away. But my style's more in your face Link action so...

TopVideoGamer

Smash Journeyman
I know that I don't use them enough. They're really useful for stopping projectiles and from short hops (especially backwards if you can do it without turning him around). Kenshin's Link Guide had a bunch of strats with arrows...

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Arrows are useful to some point. Just for everyones knowledge on how powerful those arrows are, they really aren't that powerful, absolutely no priority unless its on the ground or fully charged.

For anyones wanting to try or gain knowledge from what I'm saying its this. Take a falco, forward smash through an un-fully charged arrow. Enemies can also arial neutral "A" through it.

Arrow does have uses mind you like people said before recovery purposes or edge gaurding. But I rarely ever actually use it offensively. The bomb to boomerang works pretty fast and pretty well. I'll use the arrow in that combo sometimes. But other than that I would really dis-recommend using the arrow.

Also about shiek's needles. Annoying yes, but trust me...if you went against a l-canceling falco laser....then shieks needles are like a noob trying to ping you with the baseball bat. No matter how fast the opponent is they cant use the needles that fast...even if they could..you could just stand there and take the hits with your sheild.

Well I'm pretty sure I just rambled on....work...tired...sleeping...have no idea what im typing lol

I wouldn't use that arrow that much.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Originally posted by Kenshin

if you went against a l-canceling falco laser....
just popping in here to make fun of kenshin (do i honestly need any other reason? i think not!) you don't l cancel falco's blaster, it's automatically cancelled once he lands, something i wish doc had with his pills... oh man... imagine the sheer pillage i could do...

ZelgadisQmega

Smash Apprentice
The arrow

I use Links arrows as an aerial attack. I like to small hop to an uncharged arrow then fast fall so I when it connencts with my opponent I'm already on the floor and at the same time leaving them vulnerable for a forward smash or up+B for a split second. It's also useful for Samus players who like to recover with bombs, you can take out most of them if your accurate. And also, an uncharched arrow can take out a fully charged power beam from Samus.

Garde

Smash Ace
**** man, that's a good idea. I've never even thought of shooting their bombs before... So you blow up their bomb so that they can't jump off of it, right? If that's the case, that's ingenious, and now that I think of it, a pretty obvious thing to do... Why the **** had I never thought of this?!

The GERM

Smash Ace
The GERM

Hello, I'm registered under my own name now. And I'm no longer using ZelgadisOmega. I've reincarnated into.................THE GERM. Guarde, I'm looking forward to seeing your Link at the 0C, I don't really trust vids.

X Japan

Smash Lord
Garde's Link is pretty good i'll have to say after facing him like 3 months ago.i can say how he is now, but i think it's gotten better hopefully.

oh yea Garde it looks like i'm not going to the OC due to i don't have a job and i'm broke.hopefully if the OC or TG have another tourney sometime in the spring i'll try my hardest to come to those to face u again and see how much u improve.sorry about this.

BrandedRage

Smash Cadet
Man, when it comes to projectiles you can't catch and close range combat, you'd be suprised how much neutral A,A or A,A,A (if you don't mind the slight recovery) can help. A,A,A= an annoying, quick, and long ranged 14%

TopVideoGamer

Smash Journeyman
Garde, I was in training and you can do a short hop b-air into another. You have to be REALLY fast though, starting just as you leave the ground and having good enough timing (or fast enough mashing) to jump before you hit the ground.

Try it again in 1/4 speed. First note the standard jump landing animation. Next try the b-air landing animation. Keep the two seperate and try the short hop b-air and you should see the standard landing animation if you were quick enough. That means you did regain control in the air and CAN do another jump.

I'm going to be putting lots of prepratory hours into training mode, so maybe I can come back with something new...

Garde

Smash Ace
TopVideoGamer, I realized that I was wrong when I continually tried with pressing the A button earlier. I can now do it much more often, and I guess I should've posted about it... Sorry for the confusion guys...

X Japan, my Link isn't pretty good, he's only decent. I'm a lot better now, although I think my YLink is getting close to being my #1 now because of his ability to WD... A lot of tactics I've come up with work MUCH better because YLink can WD quite a bit farther than Link in the same amount of time. But hey, I'm not giving up on Link THAT easily, I'll find some things that Link can do better than YLink, other than the obvious ones like taking more hits and overall more powerful attacks. Hehe, I just remembered what you and Wes said when I played you guys... "If only Link had a wall jump..." Man, if he did, he'd be so much better...

Anyways, I have no clue what I was saying anymore....

Oh yeah, The GERM, good to see that you have your own board name now, it should be a little less confusing now. ;)

ZelgadisQmega

Smash Apprentice
bombs

Do you guys throw bombs with the "A" button?
Sorry, I don't know why my name isn't appearing anymore. Look Like it's back to Zelgadis for now.

X Japan

Smash Lord
ZelgadisQmega - its depends on the person i usually use Z

its time to bring this thread back to life.
what has happen to all the Link players.

Top Bottom