• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I fought a computer character because my wi-fi sucks and I have like 2 good friends which are always busy... X_X

And I have been brawling for about a year now. I just don't have much experience as Dedede.

I usually play as Diddy, Marth, Ganon and a few others.
Use his tilts more, Utilt kills really quick if they approach in the air use back air if they approach on the ground shield grab and chaingrab/tech chase his dash attack will not work in an actual match unless you catch them off guard you fsmash alot which is easy to avoid

Jupz

Smash Master
TBH, I stick with one character. That way you know what to do instead of just playing different playstyles that may **** you up in the end.

Yeah, I go pretty much all DDD in tourney except for against Olimars and IC's. I also sometimes use MK against Falco or Pika.

Jupz

Smash Master
You should play friendlies almost as seriously as a real tournament match as it will help you to improve the most :)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I don't post here very often, but I do read a lot of the Dedede boards stuff. I never had the ability to post videos of myself playing, but a recent tournament happened to record my set. Any and all advice/ tips/ jokes at my expense are appreciated. Thanks for making this thread btw!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czZ41nuqbOc
I shall point out your weakpoints and strongpoints.
0:03 and other parts of the video... you were doing too many unnecessary wall-of-pain back airs, which needs to be fixed, especially when those come out of habit. It is actually effective in certain matchups such as Wario, Peach and Luigi, but not against Lucario but you need to cut that habit anyways.
2:29 - 2:34 Yes. I was impressed by this. Do more mindgames than just that young one.
During several parts of when you chaingrabbed, you weren't pummeling. Your opponent can only break out fast enough in percents before 50%. So pummeling will benefit your game because it will guarentee you extra damage in between each grab, and the pummel will go in the "attack queue", making it that much easier to refresh your other moves eventually. One pummel is guarenteed of them not breaking out when over 50%ish, so I recommend it.
1:44 - 1:46 Never do this! Never fastfall a down air to the floor unless if you know that you can time it correctly to when you'll deal the knockback frame of the attack. The lag will be too much to bear for King Dedede when he gets punished. It's better to do a falling neutral air or a correctly timed down air when coming down to stage.
Generally, you need to work on perfecting more of King Dedede's moveset because that's what builds his various maneuvers to defeat his opponent with mix-ups. There was an unbalance in the moves you used. I suggest doing more approach short-hopped down airs, more short-hopped Inhales, and forward smash for the kill here and there. You underestimate that smash.... And you really need to use your sideB more often! I think you're not using it because of the lag on it, or either you're too caught up in just playing too calm/slow with back airs (approach more). Destroy those habits. 2/5
Everybody has the same potential. You're getting there. I hope this helps you.

Countcocofang

Smash Cadet
The dairs into the ground thing is a bad habit that I've been trying to stop, hehe. But besides that, you basically think I should waddle more and mix up my approach more, plus pummel? Sounds good Beefy, thanks for the help!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Just so you know Coco, the best part about the pummel is not the damage, but it unstales your moves. That plus the downthrow means that every one of your moves is a kill move again. That, plus the tiny damage you gain makes the opponent almost always in kill range.
Just in case you were wondering why to pummel :)

Countcocofang

Smash Cadet
I understand the concept, I just find that I dont pay enough attention to remember to only pummel when they are at higher percentile, so I will either never pummel or pummel always, both of which are bad! Something to work on!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Just so you know Coco, the best part about the pummel is not the damage, but it unstales your moves. That plus the downthrow means that every one of your moves is a kill move again. That, plus the tiny damage you gain makes the opponent almost always in kill range.
Just in case you were wondering why to pummel :)
I already said that in my quote master...

(I'm still waiting for your input Jupz!)
The dairs into the ground thing is a bad habit that I've been trying to stop, hehe. But besides that, you basically think I should waddle more and mix up my approach more, plus pummel? Sounds good Beefy, thanks for the help!
**** how does everybody think of that name so fast....

Jupz

Smash Master
Beef basically summed it all up nicely :)

As beef said, don't always Bair up so high. The lucario could have come from underneath and he kept timing his Fair to hit you in between your Bairs. And don't fastfall SH fairs. They should mainly be used to retreat. Also use Dair OOS more :)

Stealthstoat

Smash Cadet
Another thing, when a character that can't fly is on the ledge, make it as difficult as possible for them to get back on the stage. They'll more than likely allow you to deal 20%+ damage to them in exchange for landing safely back on stage.

Now I have a question of my own...

I'm going to a tournament tomorrow, and Rich Brown is going to be there. Chances are I'll face him in the winners bracket, and I've never played a good olimar before.

Any matchup tips?

Stealthstoat

Smash Cadet
Short hop inhale, punish usmash with bair, tech chase dthrow, f tilt like crazy? :[

That sound about right?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
You just have to be patient lol, I'm not online here all the time. I have a life :).
I'm taking my quote from the matchup thread because it's my opinion on how I dealt with past Olimars. I suggest checking out the "Grand United Royal Guide of King Dedede" in Part Five where the matchups are so you can see much more though.

I would say this is one of the most annoying matchups for King Dedede. Olimar's got everything to trigger the king's weaknesses: he outcamps you badly with his sideB. His smashes have more range than our grab, and he can combo us like ****.
His number one combo on us at 0-10% is: Down throw > Up smash > Up air. Maybe another up air if you're not prepared. Pretty much Olimar's game is camping with sideB, then grabbing or smashing when close.
Best way to finish that match early is to gimp with back air, but watch him for when he does a whistle or a airdodge, then back air. Mindgaming with a fastfalled forward air while offstage works wonders too.
Three things we should use most in this matchup: Inhale, Spotdodge and Up throw.
Preferably fastfalling inhale on him because it screws with his ground game and it sends him in the air, and that's the purpose to keep up throwing him too. KEEP HIM OFF THE GROUND as much as you can. Play as smart as you can to juggle him so he doesn't continue with his smashes and grab. And whenever he's still on the ground, always spotdodge instead of shielding. Spotdodgegrabbing because his grab range is more than ours and has less lag. Then up throw him and try to keep hm up there.
Really good counterpicks for Olimar are Halberd and Frigate.
Halberd's platform guards you when you up throw him, up tilt kills Olimar early at 75-80% and I would assume he's easily gimpable instead of neutrals. Frigate has no ledge on the first transformation so that'll be gamebreaking for us.
The two neutrals that you should try to not bring Olimar to: Yoshi's Island and Final Destination. Just believe me there, no need to explain.
Otherwise, you just have to play smart with spotdodging, no shieldgrabbing unless if you need to stop your running momentum, but still spotdodgegrab.
Matchup I think is 60:40 Olimar -_-.

Countcocofang

Smash Cadet
Is there a thread about Dedede in teams matches? I'd like to know what people think are good teammates for a Dedede, does he only like teaming with aggressive characters like MK rather than campy characters like snake? Any tips about how to change your play style for doubles would also be appreciated!

Technodeath

Smash Champion
i seemingly play ganon better than i do D3, a lot better. but i dont want to use someone who fails so terribly in the tourny scene. but maybe thats just against my friend. lol.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
to use ganon or to use D3 is my initial question now, because my outcomes in the matches with my friends vary a lot using ganon and D3. i win more with ganon because i space better etc. where as im still doing something wrong with D3 most of the time, i'd try and get a video up for critique but i have no way of doing it

T3h Albino

Smash Master
It boils down to whoever you feel most comfortable with. If you feel the most comfortable with ganon you will probably do better with him. Seibrik and Afro once had a legit Kirby and Ganon team "When N64 met Melee" i believe it was called.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Is there a thread about Dedede in teams matches? I'd like to know what people think are good teammates for a Dedede, does he only like teaming with aggressive characters like MK rather than campy characters like snake? Any tips about how to change your play style for doubles would also be appreciated!
To tell you all the truth, there doesn't need to be a doubles thread because I can you tell you all King Dedede's best partners, and how King Dedede can maneuver in doubles. Nothing else will matter, except I can probably answer all questions concerning a declared partner for King Dedede and how they can be a good team. (Possibly)

First and foremost, during a general doubles match, a player should be applying 75% of what they would be doing in Singles (meaning knowing your matchups, using certain moves at the correct times, and just executing your overall metagame of your character). The other 25% are the tactics and playstyle you should be paying attention to during doubles. (In this case, our playstyle as King Dedede would be the defensive/passive teammate, and setting up ways to kill with your partner.) If King Dedede is partnered with someone who is not fast, your chance of winning are slimmer. Two slow defensive/camping characters don't mix.

In competitive doubles, there should be an offensive... or a racker. This position is meant to approach the other team and deal the damage with the possibility of killing opponents anyways.
And the other position is the finisher/killer who should be defensive the entire game. (Except when the team is facing one opponent....this depends on who has higher percent/low stock etc. That depends on who should approach and who should camp.)
Due to King Dedede's weight and extremely high capacity of moves that can kill, he's considered to be the finisher and/or the defensive player and that's his role in doubles and the playstyle you should abide by.

King Dedede's best partners are Meta Knight and Wario.
Meta Knight obviously represents the racker offensive player. There's no need to go into detail. Other than the fact that King Dedede never needs (or can) to come help him if he's in trouble because Meta Knight can handle it himself.
Wario: Is in my opinion King Dedede's best partner above Meta Knight because he's a hybrid. He can approach all he wants while in the air with his godly airdodge. The only ground game he needs is his forward smash for doubles. The hybrid part comes in when since he's good at approaching, he is also a tank because of his weight class who can survive at good percents. And on top of all this, he's got his fart. Okay now there are many opportunities for this handy butt to come thru with. The Wario player can whisper to his opponent when he has a "half waft", and King Dedede can down throw into a guarenteed fart. Or he can just down throw into Wario's forward smash for God's sake.
King Dedede should be the camper for these partners, just to sum it up for King Dedede's role.

King Dedede can do good team combos with mainly his down throw into any smash.

would be an idea, me and my friend want to do doubles at a tournament this weekend. i main D3/Ganon he mains Kirby/Marth any decent pairs out of them?
With teams..it's all about not getting hit as much as possible by "3 characters". So I would say Marth is decent since he can do throws into King Dedede's up tilt, and he's just good in doubles entirely. Kirby... not so much, but like I said, it all comes down to how smart both players are on a team. (Forget Ganondorf.)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
so far me and my mates best team is Marth and Ganon :/ we'll need to do more experimenting
Yes I suggest you do that. You're going to need to work extra harder with Ganondorf because he can lose stocks early if people gimp him.
what are some good setups for uptilt? so far i've just been using spot dodge ---> uptilt.
There literally isn't a single set-up to do an up tilt kill. But the only true combo we have to an up tilt is: Fastfall a neutral air to an up tilt (must be at percents 0-5%ish, no higher.) It's hard to hit with up tilt to be honest because many pro players can see it coming while in the air and because of it's lack of a hitbox horizontally until his head starts to nod down.
If you mean in terms of killing somebody, the best ones I've used are:

1.) Air dodge downward while you're opponent is in the air, to an up tilt.
2.) It's easiest to hit with while under a platform, especially if somebody does a laggy attack.
3.) And yes, also we can do it after we have shielded or spotdodged something.

Otherwise, you're just going to have to use it at the correct time very wisely, depending on your opponent's skill.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Thank you Jupz.
Well...To be general with you all once again, any team is good if both teammates are smart enough in most situations. So don't panic if you can't acquire a Meta Knight or Wario for your team
What sort of suggestions would you guys have for a D3 + Pikachu team?
For this team, Pikachu should be the racker. I'd say he's similar to Meta Knight because they both have at least one good smash attack, and they're both fast. If you're the Pikachu, utilize his neutral B projectile in doubles because he can jump and spam it with it going diagonally down on the other team, while King Dedede can throw a waddle dee here and there right below Pikachu. I like how there can be two chaingrabbers like this on a team. If you see your partner chaingarabbing, depending on where the victim's partner is, let them grab once more, then the other guy go for a smash attack (If you're King Dedede, possibly an up tilt too.) King Dedede's forward smash is high tier in doubles in my opinion, so timing that attack after Pikachu does a couple grabs will boost your lead in the match. King Dedede can do a down throw into Pikachu's forward smash, or even better, his up smash. I don't think up smash will kill extremely early though, but a combo is a combo. If you see Pikachu do his thunder attack, we can back throw, or any other throw into it. Or vice-versa if you're the Pikachu player. If you find that these tips don't suffice, then you just have to play smart wih the basic strategy being that King Dedede is the defensive/killing, and Pikachu approaches and will sometimes kill.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I came for the chat to ask Beav something, and I saw this, and had to add just something tiny.

If you downthrow someone you can't chaingrab, try to get the pikachu to do the quick attack lock, you won't be able to do it for long if the team mate it out, but just a few is all you need to get your opponent in your fsmash killing range, which he will not be able to avoid if timed right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Ze71AhoLo

Stealthstoat

Smash Cadet
O_________________________________O

So today I just realized that I beat DEHF's diddy three times in socials at a tournament on Sunday.

I didn't know who I was playing, I just thought he was some random black guy named Larry.

Turns out he's the third best player on the West Coast.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
O_________________________________O

So today I just realized that I beat DEHF's diddy three times in socials at a tournament on Sunday.

I didn't know who I was playing, I just thought he was some random black guy named Larry.

Turns out he's the third best player on the West Coast.
DEHF was obviously just playing Diddy Kong for fun. What Crashic said. Please put all random posts in the social thread.

Top Bottom