• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #1: Meta Knight | Complete!!

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
Potential now effects match up ratios? (joking)
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here or if you misunderstood what I said a post ago so I guess I'll try to make it more clear for everyone?... I think the matchup is 45-55 MK favor now, but I think that after we learn more about the matchup, I think fox could have (as in, I'm not really sure but I think it's possible) the potential to go even against MK.

almost everything you said goes against the same reasons why other people thought this match up was close.
Yeah because I think I know more about how to play this character, how to play MK, and the game in general :p... (I don't mean to be a ****, but there's really no nice way to say that so I hope I don't offend anyone.)

Fox can't force marth to create holes. Again, Marth can poke, causing shield pressure, forcing fox to approach, and Marth can beat out all fox's approaches.
Marth can't poke at fox without getting punished if you read him right and I seriously think you're underestimating fox's speed. And if Marth is in the air, good luck getting down without taking a lot of damage if the fox knows how to walk and read people right... on top that marth cannot follow up any attack that sends fox a little ways in the air because of fox's shine, his ff speed, his air dodge, and most importantly, his side b that you can cancel and make it impossible to punish. (I do think Marth v Fox is only 55-45 in fox's favor though)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
What you need to remember people is that a match-up is all about how the tools of both character's interact.

Brawl is very much a poke based game that is all about committing as little as possible while trying be safe and still control your opponent.

Speed by itself really isn't enough. If it was CF would be winning tournies left and right as well as Sonic.

If you look at all the good character's in Brawl they all have great pokes and/or the ability to limit their opponents really well using their moves while not putting themselves at risk.

Before I go on let's clarify something.

Punish = You blocked a move and then hit someone during recovery frames.

That is what it means to punish.

You cannot punish a poke from Marth , namely fair and d-tilt and the same goes for MK.

Now let's continue.

Oh and also, reading the opponent = fighting the player and not the character. That's not how you get ratios. Ratios = character vs character. I hope I have cleared that up.

Now when we look at Fox as a character what do we see? We see what looks like some solid base attributes. He has great speed and some solid killing ability. His laser lets him do damage while staying mobile. He also has high comboability that lead into great damage. Shine is good for stalling and messing with an opponent's timing and side b can be used to get out of sticky situations.

But Fox is lacking in terms of his movelist. Although his moves are fast they are lacking in range and overall safety. And he can't really control his opponents that well because of this. So now he must either rely on hit and run tactics while building damage with laser and running away with side b or play a high risk high reward game and attempt to go for combos, although all of Fox's combo starters are unsafe.

Now let's look at MK. As a character there is no comparison. MK is far superior. With the fastest and safest pokes in the game he can easily control his opponents and limit their options. He attacks as fast as a character without a weapon but he has great range as well tanks to his sword. His tilts are as fast as foxes coming out at 3 frames and 4 frames. His aerials are far superior as well.

Movelist wise MK is on a whole nother level.

So let's look at the match itself. What are MK's options? The safest thing to do is just slowly advance while attempting to zone and control space with pokes and aerials. MK can do some random stuff too like Nados and dash grabs but zoning is more then enough.

How does Fox respond and what are his options to take control? Well, he really can't control MK in anyway or limit his options. He's fast sure but that's not enough and tourney results have proven it. Speed isn't enough without the moveset to back it up. Fox is lacking here. He can try to run, but he will run out of stage eventually and put him self in a bad situation. He can also die b past MK but this is risky and could lead to Fox taking damage or even losing a stock. It's not really worth it.

So the question becomes...what can Fox do as a character to beat MK as a character? Well...he really can't.

See that's what it means to have a bad match. When one player cannot fall back on his character's tools and must rely on reading and baiting to win a match.

Fox has some traits here and there that seem like they would be good vs MK. He can kill early since MK is light and U-smash is a good kill move. Dair can beat Nado when well timed and well spaced. Fox isn't super easy to gimp which will help him live longer.

But when you look at solid play overall. Just safe simple play Fox doesn't have the tools to deal with it. Does this mean Fox can't win? Hell no. Of course he can. But what it means is...that a Fox player can't walk into this match thinking his tools are all that viable.

They aren't and he/she needs to know that.

Bowyer had it right. You will have to read MK and try to punish his patterns. Meaning you need to OUTPLAY him completely.

Marth beats Fox for the same reason. I mention this because Boywr brought it up. He of course was incorrect in his assumption that Fox beats Marth. That's impossible. Fox lacks the tools.

Having a whole bunch of random ways to beat random things that MK's might do means little when you can't stop their actual gameplay. The stuff that makes MK strong or ANY character strong isn't their gimmicks. It's the stuff that makes or breaks any character in any game. Their fundamentals. Fox's fundamentals are too weak plain and simple.

I call this match as 65/35.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Bowyer had it right. You will have to read MK and try to punish his patterns. Meaning you need to OUTPLAY him completely.

--^ is the truth

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I just tested, and

D-air does not beat Shuttle Loop.
B-air does not space against his shield to avoid all attacks (iffy)

The first, flat out, is D-air doesn't beat Shuttle Loop. I've tested this quite a bit of times, with different parts of the shuttle loop and different timing for the D-air, from a grounded and aerial shuttle loop, and D-air doesn't beat it. 99/100 of the time, D-air doesn't beat it. I say that because one time it did beat it (although I think that was more of a spacing issue, the actual shuttle loop attack didn't and wouldn't have hit him even if he hadn't D-aired) and one time they clashed.

The second is that B-air doesn't space out of the way of MKs other attacks to be perfectly safe on shield, however framewise it might be, I'm not sure. At max range of his B-air, OoS Shuttle Loop will hit Fox, but Fox might have the frames to shield or run back or something before that happens.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
What you need to remember people is that a match-up is all about how the tools of both character's interact.
You aren't thinking very creatively and looking at what all the tools have to offer.

Brawl is very much a poke based game that is all about committing as little as possible while trying be safe and still control your opponent.
Not entirely. Sure some characters are like that, but many are not. Fox is not about pokes. He's about getting a single hit and then following that hit up over and over again.

Speed by itself really isn't enough. If it was CF would be winning tournies left and right as well as Sonic.
Pika's very similar as well so I'll talk about him here too... Fox has the explosive speed and quick punishing moves that Sonic doesn't have so he can quickly get in and his single dash dance is great. He also has a good walking speed that CF doesn't have. It let's him have much more control over his positioning than Sonic and CF do so he is actually able to follow up moves unlike them. He also can lead into his kill moves unlike Sonic, CF, and Pika. He also has very good aerial control, a great fall speed, and a crazy good side b that make it near impossible to follow up attacks or edge guard him. He's better than Pika in most ways except without the cg though he does combo very well at low percents... It just takes a level of reaction that not many people have.

Look at CF in melee. He was low on the tier list for a long time until people realized how to play him.

IMO this is the hardest style to understand, and no offense to anyone but not many people have come close to understanding much about it. Look at Pika. For the longest time Anther was the only Pika worth even noting. Now Pikapika is stepping it up. Fox doesn't have much for stand out players but the potential is most definitely there.

If you look at all the good character's in Brawl they all have great pokes and/or the ability to limit their opponents really well using their moves while not putting themselves at risk.
SF is about pokes. This is not SF. This game used to be about pokes but that's the old metagame. Now it's about follow ups.

Before I go on let's clarify something.

Punish = You blocked a move and then hit someone during recovery frames.

That is what it means to punish.

You cannot punish a poke from Marth , namely fair and d-tilt and the same goes for MK.
Not true, Fox can get inside of a whiffed or powershielded fair and dtilt with crazy timing. It's the same way MK can get into it. But Fox follows up moves on marth much better than near any other character.

Oh and also, reading the opponent = fighting the player and not the character. That's not how you get ratios. Ratios = character vs character. I hope I have cleared that up.
By reading the opponent, I mean, reading his options. You put him into a position where he can do one of a couple things and then you can punish all of them after you see what they do. You can use that to get ratios.

0/Now when we look at Fox as a character what do we see? We see what looks like some solid base attributes. He has great speed and some solid killing ability. His laser lets him do damage while staying mobile. He also has high comboability that lead into great damage. Shine is good for stalling and messing with an opponent's timing and side b can be used to get out of sticky situations.

But Fox is lacking in terms of his movelist. Although his moves are fast they are lacking in range and overall safety. And he can't really control his opponents that well because of this. So now he must either rely on hit and run tactics while building damage with laser and running away with side b or play a high risk high reward game and attempt to go for combos, although all of Fox's combo starters are unsafe.

Now let's look at MK. As a character there is no comparison. MK is far superior. With the fastest and safest pokes in the game he can easily control his opponents and limit their options. He attacks as fast as a character without a weapon but he has great range as well tanks to his sword. His tilts are as fast as foxes coming out at 3 frames and 4 frames. His aerials are far superior as well.

Movelist wise MK is on a whole nother level.
Fox is not lacking in move list and MK doesn't have a move list on another level. MK's fair and bair are eh. With buffered SDI they aren't great and he can't follow up those moves well period. MK's dair and uair however are fairly intense though they are not as great against fox as most characters. Fox relies on playing near your opponent, having them not know when you're going in, making them throw out a single move, and instant reacting to get inside that.

If MK is in the air and whiffs a dair when fox is in a neutral enough position, he can jump up and hit him in the few frames of MK's lag. If you can force an airdodge because they think you're going at them, it's a free upsmash. And with mixing it up at a speed that is very hard to react to, you're going to catch them often doing nothing forcing them to want to throw more moves out creating holes to punish.

Fox can also count MK's jumps and if you know when they're going to land, you can run in, throw up a shield to powershield attacks and play your options from there.

MK on the other hand has a very hard time following up moves against fox, though he is the best at it. It becomes a chess game and IMO fox has the upper hand in it if you understand all the options. Fair also work wonders if you approach from the correct angle.

So let's look at the match itself. What are MK's options? The safest thing to do is just slowly advance while attempting to zone and control space with pokes and aerials. MK can do some random stuff too like Nados and dash grabs but zoning is more then enough.

How does Fox respond and what are his options to take control? Well, he really can't control MK in anyway or limit his options. He's fast sure but that's not enough and tourney results have proven it. Speed isn't enough without the moveset to back it up. Fox is lacking here. He can try to run, but he will run out of stage eventually and put him self in a bad situation. He can also die b past MK but this is risky and could lead to Fox taking damage or even losing a stock. It's not really worth it.

So the question becomes...what can Fox do as a character to beat MK as a character? Well...he really can't.
1st that "random stuff" that MK can do will get punished every time because it's easy to see coming. If MK starts up a tornado, he should get upsmashed every single time because of fox's explosive speed. MK can't just force Fox to the edge. If he gets to close and does any move, he will get punished. And running away with fox is about the worst thing you can do. Granted if the MK is running away, the fox shouldn't chase but should shoot lasers to make the MK approach, but MK can't force fox against the edge of the stage.

See that's what it means to have a bad match. When one player cannot fall back on his character's tools and must rely on reading and baiting to win a match.

Fox has some traits here and there that seem like they would be good vs MK. He can kill early since MK is light and U-smash is a good kill move. Dair can beat Nado when well timed and well spaced. Fox isn't super easy to gimp which will help him live longer.

But when you look at solid play overall. Just safe simple play Fox doesn't have the tools to deal with it. Does this mean Fox can't win? Hell no. Of course he can. But what it means is...that a Fox player can't walk into this match thinking his tools are all that viable.

They aren't and he/she needs to know that.

Marth beats Fox for the same reason. I mention this because Boywr brought it up. He of course was incorrect in his assumption that Fox beats Marth. That's impossible. Fox lacks the tools.

Having a whole bunch of random ways to beat random things that MK's might do means little when you can't stop their actual gameplay. The stuff that makes MK strong or ANY character strong isn't their gimmicks. It's the stuff that makes or breaks any character in any game. Their fundamentals. Fox's fundamentals are too weak plain and simple.

I call this match as 65/35.
I'm sorry but you don't understand the speed/punish style of play very well in this game and I don't think you understand the follow up game very well either if you think this game is about pokes. You don't understand what fox is capable of and you don't understand all the tools there are in this game.

So IMO 55-45 MK though there's potential for fox to move the matchup more in his favor.

Palpi

Smash Hero
What does Fox do to avoid Fair? Bair is easily MK's worst aerial against every character so no need to bring that up. (fair) It is barely punishable. Rookie explained that this is one aspect of Metaknight that starts the stupid stuff that Metaknight does and fox has trouble handling.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
MK fair = meh. You can see it coming, learn to buffer SDI. And how's he gonna follow up it. If MK does a fair and doesn't retreat, you can run in after and punish it. If he is retreating, then he's going towards the ledge where you can try to corner him. Granted it's hard to stop him getting around you, but fox has a fast jump and can get some hits in with keeping himself safe.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Marth can't poke at fox without getting punished if you read him right and I seriously think you're underestimating fox's speed. And if Marth is in the air, good luck getting down without taking a lot of damage if the fox knows how to walk and read people right... on top that marth cannot follow up any attack that sends fox a little ways in the air because of fox's shine, his ff speed, his air dodge, and most importantly, his side b that you can cancel and make it impossible to punish. (I do think Marth v Fox is only 55-45 in fox's favor though)
If you READ him.

A fundamental fact of the game, if you're forced to read when somebody will attack in order to do anything, that's a situational disadvantage right there.

Why? Because that means you need to time it in order to be successful, and most of the time, the guy tossing out the poke is safe. Of course, this isn't always the case (for example, in some match-ups dtilt from Ganondorf is safe on block, but for a variety of reasons it almost never saves him, mostly because the margin of error for predicting him is too great in most match-ups).

Now let's look at Marth, he generally has 3 potential poking moves, dtilt, fair, and nair.

That automatically means something, if those moves have unique counters required, then the odds are against you predicting the right move automatically. If they've got different timings to be successful then it's the same factor, and what do you know, the answer is yes in both categories.

And then you gotta take this into account, Marth's aerial pokes can be used in multiple ways in terms of whether they're advanced then retreated, fast-falled, combo'd with something else (please note that in certain patterns, nair won't actually hit your shield, but it's still safe, and does zone, and you can fall into if you predict wrong, especially since it's got a second hitbox (third if you try to get behind), meaning you it can be used to react to what you do to a degree.

Then take into account the fact that marth can also vary these patterns further, by full-hopping (if not read, Marth can cover it) or using over b to stall for a bit. He also has the aerial mobility to make most of these options safe except on prediction.

And if you predict wrong? Marth's got a great punishing game, if you hit shield, dancing blade works very effectively, and at higher percents there's not a single move that you have which can't be dolphin slashed on shield (some on hit too), and it kills. Marth's also got a ton of other moves which will beat you out on reaction, retreating fair beats almost everything for example, uptilt also works for a lot of stuff, so does jab, so does dancing blade, retreating nair has it's uses.

Marth's pokes only leave him open when he's read, and you've gotta read him really well if the marth player is utilizing his options properly.

And after that, Marth's got a pretty good follow-up game, owing to tech-chasing (dancing blade) and the general properties of his moves being very safe, long ranged and very disjointed, allowing reading the opponent (in a far easier situation then above, and a far less vulnerable one) produce results. Juggle trapping against fox is fun btw (yes, Marth is vulnerable from below, but marth makes up for it in general by making everyone vulnerable to being below him). Shine stalling is beaten by proper timing (there are locations that you will get hit whether you shine stall or not), airdodging by timing and spacing (uair is a moving hitbox, it's more then possible to make sure the end hits, making it a guessing game which Marth has the advantage, and if you fall through him, he still has options), fastfalling is simply not enough, and side-b, are you sure it's not punishable, the hurtbox on that move is awefully far behind the hitbox, and properly spaced, certain options hit both (dancing blade can for example), not to mention that you've got plenty of warning.

Also, chaingrabs, especially buffed chaingrabs if he gets a grab in. They punish hard.

Off-stage, fox has major issues with recovery, and Marth edguards very well.

Sure, fox has his advantages, nice combos (oh, beware dolphin slash), hurts marth a lot from below, and marth is vulnerable to gimps.

However the overall problem is that Marth forces him to read him in order to actually approach (as in, make it so marth is in fox's safe melee zone, Marth has to move through fox's laser zone, but there is no true resistance there, just the probability of taking damage). Honestly, it's not even about speed, it's about ability to keep options open, and fox really doesn't have that. If he was fast enough that it was impossible to react to, that would be a different story, but he isn't.

And now for the part that brings this whole tangent back on topic and explains why this is important:

Ultimately, fox has the exact same issues against MK, he has to read MK to move so MK is in fox's melee safe zone, and MK punishes him for it, hard if he messes up. Sure, fox has tools, but he has to commit too much, and when that happens, MK ***** him.

Yes, if you read him like a book, you can win. And if my ganondorf reads your fox like a book, I can win too. Doesn't mean Ganondorf isn't bad at the match-up. The risk/reward factor is just too much against fox to consider him a counter or even a neutral against either, simply because he can hit hard, but the odds of him getting in at the top of the metagame are too low.

edit:

You aren't thinking very creatively and looking at what all the tools have to offer.
That's because the tools he has don't leave him with enough options open.

Not entirely. Sure some characters are like that, but many are not. Fox is not about pokes. He's about getting a single hit and then following that hit up over and over again.
Ummm... pew pew pew. That's fox's poke.

Projectiles and melee pokes are functionally similar in that they force people to approach. The problem with lasers here is Mk's/marth's safe melee zone begins before Fox's so he doesn't need to cover his approaches.

Pika's very similar as well so I'll talk about him here too... Fox has the explosive speed and quick punishing moves that Sonic doesn't have so he can quickly get in and his single dash dance is great. He also has a good walking speed that CF doesn't have. It let's him have much more control over his positioning than Sonic and CF do so he is actually able to follow up moves unlike them. He also can lead into his kill moves unlike Sonic, CF, and Pika. He also has very good aerial control, a great fall speed, and a crazy good side b that make it near impossible to follow up attacks or edge guard him. He's better than Pika in most ways except without the cg though he does combo very well at low percents... It just takes a level of reaction that not many people have.
Pikachu has methods of keeping his options open, QAC is probably one of the most important ones.

Look at CF in melee. He was low on the tier list for a long time until people realized how to play him.

Again, Captain Falcon has ways of keeping his options open while still being threatening, and then a very good follow-up game. Why do you think dash-dancing is so important in melee? It serves exactly this purpose, forcing people to commit then punishing the commitment. Sonic is much more like Melee Falcon then brawl fox.

SF is about pokes. This is not SF. This game used to be about pokes but that's the old metagame. Now it's about follow ups.
Pokes and follow-ups together both define the risk/reward system in smash. Follow-ups define what you get, pokes force the pace.

Not true, Fox can get inside of a whiffed or powershielded fair and dtilt with crazy timing. It's the same way MK can get into it. But Fox follows up moves on marth much better than near any other character.
With crazy time... aka READING, and there's a very small margin of error here.

By reading the opponent, I mean, reading his options. You put him into a position where he can do one of a couple things and then you can punish all of them after you see what they do. You can use that to get ratios.
Which fox is very bad at because he lacks pokes and zoning tools. Both MK and marth define the pacing of the match and they set the options available. Because he can't poke, and has to commit to everything, fox CAN'T do what you're suggesting in this match-up.

Fox is not lacking in move list and MK doesn't have a move list on another level. MK's fair and bair are eh. With buffered SDI they aren't great and he can't follow up those moves well period. MK's dair and uair however are fairly intense though they are not as great against fox as most characters. Fox relies on playing near your opponent, having them not know when you're going in, making them throw out a single move, and instant reacting to get inside that.
Except a smart opponent with these characters isn't gonna throw out an unsafe move unless the opponent is committed, so you gotta predict them. If you could maintain your options then it would be a different story but... dash-dancing in brawl sux.

If MK is in the air and whiffs a dair when fox is in a neutral enough position, he can jump up and hit him in the few frames of MK's lag. If you can force an airdodge because they think you're going at them, it's a free upsmash. And with mixing it up at a speed that is very hard to react to, you're going to catch them often doing nothing forcing them to want to throw more moves out creating holes to punish.

Fox can also count MK's jumps and if you know when they're going to land, you can run in, throw up a shield to powershield attacks and play your options from there.

MK on the other hand has a very hard time following up moves against fox, though he is the best at it. It becomes a chess game and IMO fox has the upper hand in it if you understand all the options. Fair also work wonders if you approach from the correct angle.
We get it, fox has options once inside, now get inside, please.

As for mk, he's fast too, and his options control a great deal more space and are often far more guaranteed anyway. In non-guarenteed situations, he can follow-up better because there are few safe options then against fox, it's a guessing game, but mk has the advantage in the guessing game.

1st that "random stuff" that MK can do will get punished every time because it's easy to see coming. If MK starts up a tornado, he should get upsmashed every single time because of fox's explosive speed. MK can't just force Fox to the edge. If he gets to close and does any move, he will get punished. And running away with fox is about the worst thing you can do. Granted if the MK is running away, the fox shouldn't chase but should shoot lasers to make the MK approach, but MK can't force fox against the edge of the stage.
What frame does tornado come out?

What frame do most of MK's moves come out?

I'm sorry but you don't understand the speed/punish style of play very well in this game and I don't think you understand the follow up game very well either if you think this game is about pokes. You don't understand what fox is capable of and you don't understand all the tools there are in this game.

So IMO 55-45 MK though there's potential for fox to move the matchup more in his favor.
So how exactly can fox threaten while maintaining his options, how can he force mk to do stuff so he can punish?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Crazy good side B? The one that has 20 frames of start-up, 25 frames of ending lag, and a one-way distance?

Not sure about CF and Pikachu, but Sonic is able to follow-up moves and lead into kill moves, so I'm not sure why you say he can do it unlike them. His ground speed, initial dash, fox trotting, etc is good, but his aerial speed isn't as much; it's pretty average. He isn't overall exceedingly fast; in the time he could avoid moves with running away, he could shield and punish most of them.
Where are you getting this information, and what proof do you have to say this? I'm not saying, "Oh this game is all about pokes," or "Oh this game is all about follow-ups," but to deny that pokes and being able to space yourself as safely as you can are important is silly. Both are very important, I would say more-so than follow-ups (not to say that those aren't important too, but...)

Pokes allow a character to be as safe as possible while still dealing damage. If someone has follow-ups from a poke or really safe move, that's great, But if you're saying that just follow-ups are more important than pokes, then no. Getting 10% from a safe hit is generally better than getting 20% from a very punishable hit (as the latter will be punished by good players).

There's a reason why characters like Ganondorf (or Fox) aren't that high on the tier list or aren't super viable like other characters; sure they have good follow-ups from attacks, but those attacks are generally punishable. Moves like Fox's D-air in most cases is predictable and punishable even if it hits, and moves like Ganondorf's Side-B have great follow-ups and reads, but really shouldn't contact anyone who knows the match-up.

Assuming that MK whiffs the F-air. Even then, a whiffed retreating F-air I don't believe can be punished by anything other than lasers. Are there instances where you can predict a F-air and power-shield (because it's not something you can react to). If so, is it something that you can bait so that MK F-airs and only F-airs in those instances (and if he doesn't, a shield will beat the other options). If the answer to either is no, it's situational and shouldn't honestly be considered much. It would force you to predict something (which is more player vs. player than anything), and you'd have to predict it when he has a bunch of other options that he can do.

Can Fox do this to MK? You kind of avoided the main point. Can Fox consistently or reliably do this to MK?

Fox is not lacking in move list and MK doesn't have a move list on another level. MK's fair and bair are eh. With buffered SDI they aren't great and he can't follow up those moves well period.
But they're safe.

Again, pokes>follow-ups. Does Falco's laser camping have follow-ups? No, if you don't count another laser. But it's safe and ideal, and better than rushing in and hoping for some very punishable d-air tech chase combo. As Palpi said, B-air isn't often used anyway, and retreating F-air, like Marth's retreating F-air, is very safe, as well as just a normal F-air well spaced. He can hit Fox's shield, fall (or rise), and shield himself or OoS upB or something before Fox has a chance to do much.

MK's dair and uair however are fairly intense though they are not as great against fox as most characters. Fox relies on playing near your opponent, having them not know when you're going in, making them throw out a single move, and instant reacting to get inside that.

If MK is in the air and whiffs a dair when fox is in a neutral enough position, he can jump up and hit him in the few frames of MK's lag.
With what aerial? Honest question.

If you can force an airdodge because they think you're going at them, it's a free upsmash.
With what? Why can't MK F-air, N-air, or rising D-air if they think you're going to go after them? What if you aren't on the ground or he doesn't air-dodge close to the ground?

And with mixing it up at a speed that is very hard to react to, you're going to catch them often doing nothing forcing them to want to throw more moves out creating holes to punish.
Good players will react to that speed and not fall for that trap, but I honestly don't see the speed that's hard to react to. Dashing around? Does that really make someone whiff attacks? I understand being able to jump in range quickly, I don't understand, "Fox is fast, so a good opponent will whiff a lot of attacks that you can punish." MK can cover his fast speed regardless with things like D-tilt and retreating F-air.

Any character can do that. Honestly, you can't count on a power shield. What if the opponent doesn't do an attack and just grabs you, or does an attack earlier or later than you thought they would?

Following up is difficult, sure. But since when was MK a character with great combos, or many combos at all. MK is very good at being safe, having good pokes, and having fast CQC options frame-wise. So while he may not be able to follow up moves (which Fox honestly can't "truly" do save jab cancels and u-tilt chains at low percents), he can actually land attacks safely and much more consistently than Fox can.

Fox's F-air is easily SDI-able, and MK can punish it at any angle (U-air from above, D-air from below, F-air from ahead, B-air from behind).

1st that "random stuff" that MK can do will get punished every time because it's easy to see coming. If MK starts up a tornado, he should get upsmashed every single time because of fox's explosive speed.
Which will only work if MK is at the right height above you. If you're above MK, to the side of him, or if both of you are directly on the ground, he won't get up-smashed. He won't put himself in a situation where he can get up-smashed, so most likely he's not going to space a Tornado to the point where he can be punished as many times as possible.

MK can't just force Fox to the edge. If he gets to close and does any move, he will get punished.
Vague?

What if he retreating F-airs, or D-tilts your shield, or rising D-airs, or does the first hit of F-tilt, or Tornados your shield and retreats on a platform or away or something before it ends (or pokes your shield). Saying, "He'll get punished if he does anything," is vague and untrue.

And running away with fox is about the worst thing you can do. Granted if the MK is running away, the fox shouldn't chase but should shoot lasers to make the MK approach, but MK can't force fox against the edge of the stage.
I agree with shooting lasers when he's away. However, I don't see how Fox can't be forced to the edge of the stage. It definitely won't happen 100% but it's something to be aware of; you're pressured into two bad situations. You either retreat towards the edge of the stage and risk punishment or being gimped, or you attempt to cross-up MK, in which case D-smash, Tornado, U-air, F-air, and shuttle loop can all stuff your attempts.

Again, saying, "He can't be forced into X situation because he'll just punish all of your attacks," is silly.

MK fair = meh. You can see it coming, learn to buffer SDI. And how's he gonna follow up it. If MK does a fair and doesn't retreat, you can run in after and punish it. If he is retreating, then he's going towards the ledge where you can try to corner him. Granted it's hard to stop him getting around you, but fox has a fast jump and can get some hits in with keeping himself safe.
Again, really really vague. What are these hits that keep him safe. How does Fox corner MK without MK just jumping over him or crossing him up. What does having a fast jump have to do with anything?

Inform me of his speed/punish style or why following up is more important than pokes (with evidence). Please inform me of all the tools in the game, or what Fox is capable, or why Fox has potential to move the match-up more in his favor that MK doesn't have.

You can't say, "You don't understand X," and not explain X to me, otherwise I'll think that you don't understand X either and are just saying that just because.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Avarice and adum are just ****** this thread for free. There was a time when I alone walked the path of enlightenment.

These two make this old Marth sage proud.

Bowyer: When are you going to say something substantial?

Like how Fox takes control.

Everything coming from you is based on Fox reacting to what MK does.

So by your own admission MK controls the pace. Fox is left predicting what MK will do. And you want to call this even? That's not how it works. You either have the tools to take contro land maintain it or you don't. Fox has no real tools in this match. He just has his base character attributes to help him out.

You have nothing substantial to back up your claims. Your argument can be boiled down to Fox runs around trying to call a move so he can land a combo or a kill move. Essentially just trying to predict MK the whole game. This is super high risk and will get you killed.

Seems to me like supporters of this match being close to even have no real evidence. All they have to say is if you predict so and so...well of course if you predict someone and guess right you will get in good damage. That's the human factor at work. We aren't tlaking about that. We aren't talking about the patterns and things that Fox should be watching for.

We comparing the best character in the game with the best tools to Fox.

Fox who has far worse poke moves and space controling moves.

I mean in terms of space control nado is ridiculous. MK becomes a moving high priority hitbox that he can control and pass over his opponent with. You can hit confirm it as well. If they block just go past them and land safely with no recovery time. If it hits mash the button for the full damage which pops them up in the air and gives MK advantage.

Pure insanity.

What does Fox have that compares to this move?

What about MK's tilts? A well spaced f-tilt or d-tilt creates a tilt trap and gives MK enough time to react to **** near anything his opponent does. If you drop your shield MK can tilt again. If you roll then MK is not at risk and if you rolled towards him you take damage. Your best bet would be to sh back and in this situation MK gains ground.

Foxes pokes can't compare to MK's.

And when MK spaces them well Fox has no real answer. He must take a risk.

Avarice and adumbrodeus what say you both?

Am I crazy to think MK pretty much dominates this match?

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
wow, this is not worth my time.

Bottom line...

Close to every move in this game is punishable given correct positioning and intense intense reaction speed and timing... guess what, I have a good enough reaction speed and great timing.

He's got explosive speed that not many characters have (including Sonic).

Aside from MK and Jiggs, fox is probably the hardest character in the game to follow moves up against and you can't juggle him.

Fox has one of the single hardest recoveries to edge guard and is extremely hard to gimp.

You're character is about pokes, mine is not. I only use moves that are going to hit and if I'm doing it right, I will never hit your shield unless I know it will shield poke.

And...

AvaricePanda said:
You can't say, "You don't understand X," and not explain X to me, otherwise I'll think that you don't understand X either and are just saying that just because.
Yes I can because it would take months and months to teach and not being in person makes it especially difficult... Ya wanna know why MI is so **** good at brawl?... Bingo, you guessed it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Seriously, your argument was flawed because you had no argument in the first place.

Fox doesn't have the tools. Period.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
But that has nothing to do with the facts that I'm stating and every single argument brought up by you has been shot down and you have no real evidence to refute it.

Teach me?

Son, I taught a whole character board.

Anyway are you going to actually back up your claims now with some real proof? (this is impossible btw, Fox is factually an inferior character to MK with inferior tools) Still it would be nice to see an actual attempt on your part.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
I really don't mean any offense by this, but I'm a busy person and debating this is not worth my time. I'm not going to spend hours and hours debating this and telling you how to play how I play. If you want to learn, then watch vids of the top MI people. It's how we all play. I go close to even with the top MI people using fox (granted I'll get wrecked by Anther's Pika and Lain's IC's cause they're stupid bad matchups), I've played with Ally when he was at SPanda's and my games against his snake were all close and I'm 2-0 against his MK (he's got a **** good one), and Judge is the only player in MI who is able to beat my fox with MK.

I'm not saying you should play Marth how I play because I don't think that would be the best strat, but IMO and from what I've seen, this way is by far the best way to play quick characters... (sonic is not quick)

Palpi

Smash Hero
Saying the same thing, that we disagree with and completely disregarding everything everyone said, then going back to your same point doesn't help match up discussion, nor does it make any actual sense bowyer. Your approach to this discussion is foolish, not to mention your actual perspective of this match up.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
Saying the same thing, that we disagree with and completely disregarding everything everyone said, then going back to your same point doesn't help match up discussion, nor does it make any actual sense bowyer. Your approach to this discussion is foolish, not to mention your actual perspective of this match up.
Hmm... I go even with top MI people, this is how I play and think, and you think that I'm foolish? Interesting that you would tell someone who is a lot better than you that they don't know how to play... interesting...

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am not saying that you don't know how to play because I know you are a great player, but I am just saying that your presence in this discussion is nothing more than boldly stating inaccurate statements, with little to no representation of factual evidence.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

Bottom line...

Close to every move in this game is punishable given correct positioning and intense intense reaction speed and timing... guess what, I have a good enough reaction speed and great timing.

Aside from MK and Jiggs, fox is probably the hardest character in the game to follow moves up against and you can't juggle him.

Fox has one of the single hardest recoveries to edge guard and is extremely hard to gimp.

You're character is about pokes, mine is not. I only use moves that are going to hit and if I'm doing it right, I will never hit your shield unless I know it will shield poke.

And...

Yes I can because it would take months and months to teach and not being in person makes it especially difficult... Ya wanna know why MI is so **** good at brawl?... Bingo, you guessed it.
In order:

Humans have limits. Not everything will be punished all the time, you know that. Also, no one likes seeing people rub their own wiener. :p
Okay, great.
I could argue against that. There are combos on Fox that don't exist on other characters simply because of his falling speed.
Seriously? MKs nair and fsmash beats out Fox's illusion reliably, and firefox is easy to read/gimp/punish.

The rest I don't care about.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
I am not saying that you don't know how to play because I know you are a great player, but I am just saying that your presence in this discussion is nothing more than boldly stating inaccurate statements, with little to no representation of factual evidence.
I'm telling you what goes through my head when I play and think about matchup discussion. I play purely on positioning and reaction, 99% of people don't. You don't understand what I'm saying so you're instantly assuming that I don't know what I'm talking. How am I supposed to prove that fox can punish things that you say he can't. I know he can, you think he can't and I know I can react fast enough, you think I can't, and I'm the one who's wrong? Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I know exactly what I'm saying and it's good as ****.

In order:

Humans have limits. Not everything will be punished all the time, you know that. Also, no one likes seeing people rub their own wiener. :p
look, I'm not trying to be overly cocky, but I have to be because nobody understands how much time you actually have to react to things. Just keep your cool, know all the possibilities that could come and react fast as hell when you see it.

Seriously? MKs nair and fsmash beats out Fox's illusion reliably, and firefox is easy to read/gimp/punish.

The rest I don't care about.
If you're side b'ing through them, you're doing it wrong.

Curaga

Smash Ace
Factually: MK is 70/30 everyone based on how he's read on paper.

Realistically: Fox is a champion and does well against this fierce top tier character.

This post is silly at the moment, but I'll edit it later and throw in some fun things. I just hung out with HRnut yesterday; played some Fox vs MK as well, and we both think its closer to even than most people think.

Party on dudes

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
When you're trying to recover and MK is edge guarding you?

BTW, relax. Taking things too seriously.
I'm relaxed and not taking anything seriously... I just enjoy cussing and using harsh language :) lol

Melo everyone knows when fox does his illusion above you, you can't punish it. Gentlemen's code.
lol, it's actually near impossible to punish if you cancel it right and you're smart about using it.

Palpi

Smash Hero
On a stage with immobile platforms, I agree, but on smashville or FD I think it is very easy to punish, even when cancelled.

I can just read your recovery right? :)

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
On a stage with immobile platforms, I agree, but on smashville or FD I think it is very easy to punish, even when cancelled.

I can just read your recovery right? :)
ha, it's impossible to read because you have to make the first action and then I get to react to what you do. And I go really far away... And on smashville, I could shine til the platform got to me, or if you come after me, I can get by you and get to the stage. Fox's recovery is really really good.

Only one person can be the reader at a time... and fox is good at forcing you to act first and being able to punish or avoid anything you can do.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord

Bottom line...

Based on what?

Why can't you juggle him? Why can't you follow up moves against him? With your fast fall weight, Diddy has it easier to combo into things (early percent u-tilt chains, trip to jab to double d-tilt to maybe something because you won't be popped high by the d-tilt until high percents, etc).

Hard to gimp, it differs by character, although generally yes it's pretty tough to gimp him.. Definitely not one of the single hardest recoveries to edge-guard though. He has multiple recovery options but they're all linear. Firefox can only go certain ways, as can illusion, as can rising F-air, and there's generally a best option per situation; they're all predictable.

And how do you know the attacks are going to hit? How are you never going to hit someone's shield? And if follow-ups>pokes, how come Diddy isn't the best character in the game (a character who has great follow-ups and great "pokes", although they're more spacing tools than an actual poke)?

And...

Actually no, I didn't guess it. Because the players are good?

Maybe it takes months and months to learn. It certainly shouldn't take months and months to give a brief overview of all of your claims. So what if you have to spend an hour typing about how Fox works at high levels of play, or how the speed and punishing game is stronger than what most people think. Oh darn, an entire hour of your time. Don't brush it off as taking months to teach; months to learn, and maybe a while to teach thoroughly, but not at all long to simply explain so that people know you aren't just spouting nonsense.

No offense, but your entire argument seemed to be, "I'm going to say this and this with no evidence and you can't challenge me because I'm Bowyer and go even with really good people like Ally who are you you aren't good so you can't know what I'm talking about!"

Just because you're good, doesn't mean you're good at analyzing a match-up. Just because you beat or go even with good MKs with Fox, doesn't mean that the match-up is even.Vice-versa. You may have more experience and generally would be better at the match-up than the average person, but it doesn't mean you can actually analyze the match-up and know precisely what happens, what matters, and why. And maybe you do really know the match-up, but if you don't take the time to actually help the Fox boards out and explain to people why the match-up is the way it is in-depth and with some solid proof, people won't believe you.

I don't care if you're Ally or M2K or Lain or Fiction or whoever. I don't care if you beat Dojo and Tyrant with Peach or Wolf or Fox or whoever; if you say something like, "Peach vs. MK is 55:45 Peach, none of you know the true potential of Peach to understand though," I won't believe you. Nobody should believe you.

So bottom line, you're ignoring all of the arguments me, Emblem Lord, and adumbrodeus posted and what we specifically said about the match-up and the flaws we challenged in your arguments, say the same things that we've challenged without responding to our challenges, and it honestly seems like you're trying to influence people because you're good and are competing with these top players.

Factually: MK is 70/30 everyone based on how he's read on paper.

Realistically: Fox is a champion and does well against this fierce top tier character.

This post is silly at the moment, but I'll edit it later and throw in some fun things. I just hung out with HRnut yesterday; played some Fox vs MK as well, and we both think its closer to even than most people think.

Party on dudes
False.

Factually, MK does better against some characters than others. On paper, his match-up against people like Fox, Wolf, Peach, and Luigi look bad for the opponents, and his match-up against people like Snake, Diddy, ICs, and Wario look pretty even.

Realistically, while the match-up is still winnable for a Fox player, they'll either have to understand the match-up better, be the better player, or understand their opponent better (AKA be better). With closer match-ups, there doesn't have to be as close as a gap.

MK isn't automatically 70:30 against everyone on paper simply because he's MK, I don't really know where you were getting with that.

Curaga

Smash Ace
Recovery isn't a real issue in this match up.

Only time its problematic is when you're below stage level, or you were pushed off and being pressured into a gimp. But that is pretty much true for any one haha.

And to note, I side-B through my opponent or to ledge. Shine stalling helps throw it off, but typically Up-B is better until you're adjacent with the stage/platforms. I personally don't side-B over someone.. because when I land I'm getting grabbed or smashed.. o_O

Palpi

Smash Hero
if the metaknight just waits there and you illusion through him and he consistantly eats it then you are most likely the better player.

Curaga

Smash Ace
if the metaknight just waits there and you illusion through him and he consistantly eats it then you are most likely the better player.
Totally love your new avatar..

And based off this, I might just be the best Smash player in Florida! Haha. :D

Tornado is a good MK option to a side-B recovery, because they can make it last long enough to suck in Fox even when Fox is stalling or exploiting other means of making it back. But this also kind of leaves ledge open. N-air and smashes and stuff work too, but its harder to manage because Fox can be tricky when returning. They DO work though if you catch Fox in that manner.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it takes months and months to learn. It certainly shouldn't take months and months to give a brief overview of all of your claims. So what if you have to spend an hour typing about how Fox works at high levels of play, or how the speed and punishing game is stronger than what most people think. Oh darn, an entire hour of your time. Don't brush it off as taking months to teach; months to learn, and maybe a while to teach thoroughly, but not at all long to simply explain so that people know you aren't just spouting nonsense.

No offense, but your entire argument seemed to be, "I'm going to say this and this with no evidence and you can't challenge me because I'm Bowyer and go even with really good people like Ally who are you you aren't good so you can't know what I'm talking about!"
Ha, no **** I was doing that but I have the know how to back up my claims, but not many people have a clue what I'm saying because they don't understand it. I try at times, but unless you actually want to hear the way I play it's pointless. And I don't like spending tons of time on this site, hence the deletion of my other account, and I like helping people (which this doesn't), so instead of spending all my time debating here, I'd rather have fun talking to people and then spending a little time helping them out instead.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
8 frames is best humanly possible. Anything above that is prediction.

But he lacks a way to keep his options open

You can follow up moves on anyone. Period. You can also juggle pretty much anyone (snake being one the few exceptions because of frame 1 grenades).

Really... because as I remember when fox is below illusion level, he becomes amazingly easy to edguard. Also his recoveries give a ton of warning.

You'll never to do something eventually, otherwise I'll shield pressure you until your shield breaks or I shield-stab you.

East coast is a ****load better.

Honestly, you may be good at this game, but at a theoretical level, you really don't seem to understand it.

Hmm... I go even with top MI people, this is how I play and think, and you think that I'm foolish? Interesting that you would tell someone who is a lot better than you that they don't know how to play... interesting...
Just being good doesn't mean that you understand how to discuss the game and apply the principals of it to match-ups. Honestly, often being good often means that you're biased in favor of your character because you misinterpret your own ability to predict as part of your character's ability.

I'm telling you what goes through my head when I play and think about matchup discussion. I play purely on positioning and reaction, 99% of people don't. You don't understand what I'm saying so you're instantly assuming that I don't know what I'm talking. How am I supposed to prove that fox can punish things that you say he can't. I know he can, you think he can't and I know I can react fast enough, you think I can't, and I'm the one who's wrong? Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I know exactly what I'm saying and it's good as ****.
I'll tell you how you can prove it. Frame data.

Again, what frame does tornado come out? You said you can reliably beat it on reaction with f-smash, and the limit on human reaction time is 8 frames. So, prove that it's not just your own prediction skill.

lol, it's actually near impossible to punish if you cancel it right and you're smart about using it.
It's got a nice long start-up animation, which makes it easy to punish on reaction, properly spaced moves with persistent hitboxes will hit either variation.

Ha, no **** I was doing that but I have the know how to back up my claims, but not many people have a clue what I'm saying because they don't understand it. I try at times, but unless you actually want to hear the way I play it's pointless. And I don't like spending tons of time on this site, hence the deletion of my other account, and I like helping people (which this doesn't), so instead of spending all my time debating here, I'd rather have fun talking to people and then spending a little time helping them out instead.
Dude, it's pretty easy to understand how you play, you rely on prediction to get in, and then use follow-ups. The problem is... the predictions that you get are a result of you simply being a very good player. You can actually calculate based on raw chance the odds of successfully predicting MK's moves, and timing it right. It's rather unlikely.

Your success isn't the match-up, it's you.

Or, of course, it's your opponents. In this match-up, MK really isn't supposed to play aggressively, he's supposed to camp and poke and force you to play aggressively. The thing is, a lot of metaknights are "b***s to the wall" aggressive, and that gives false impressions about a ton of match-ups.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Guys, I play Zeton on a pretty regular basis.

This match-up is 65-35 MK's favor. 60-40 at best.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Post stuff like that in the general discussion thread, please.

Top Bottom