• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
I hav a question how come every singl pic of these characters has them T posed? Correct me if i'm wrong but so far they need to have custom animations because using a regular characters animations causes them to contort into disgusting blobs??

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I hav a question how come every singl pic of these characters has them T posed? Correct me if i'm wrong but so far they need to have custom animations because using a regular characters animations causes them to contort into disgusting blobs??
Mostly every picture shown here has the characters in their T-pose, because their bones don't have the same names as Brawl's bone structure, and sometimes the rotations are different than Brawl's (like that one picture that fortwaffles posted of Rock Lee, with his head on its side, and his hand floating out in the front, rotated 180°). So, yeah. They do need to have new animations made for them.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Ugh, Chocobo Tales is in 31% ~.~ wish it'd go abit faster.
And since no one complained about DLing PAL while owning an NTSC makes me feel safe to talk about it

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
@Kei Takaro: If you have the game already, you could just put the disc in your laptop/computer and use MagicISO to extract it, instead of downloading the ISO.
It's not that simple. Not all DVD drives can read Wii discs. There's lots of Wii homebrew out there to dump the contents of the Wii's disc drive, but I don't feel comfortable talking about it here.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I need a CPK extractor because I wanna try to extract models from the Winter Olympics. Can someone either post it or send it to me via PM?

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479
Oh, never mind then. It worked for me yesterday, which is why I said it. :p

Anyways, after I hexed the material1's and polygons in the MDL0 of Feraligatr, I replaced it in the brres file, and it worked. However, when I save it, it says "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Key". So then I press save again and it says "The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\****\Desktop\Feraligatr.brres' because it is being used by another process.'

o.o

Any ideas?
Don't try to save it after importing the hexed MDL0, it won't let you. Besides, you won't be using that BRRES anymore, you only need the hexed MDL0 to replace another MDL0 from Brawl (well, you need the BRRES to extract the textures, but you can do that w/o the hexed MDL0).

Kefrius

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody hex me a model? I been trying to do this but I cant, I want to start on a great proyect of mine. PM me if you could do me this favor. :dizzy:

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
btw, RandomTBush, Bleach Vs Crusade models are not perfect size. You may want to change that in the OP. They need to be scaled, from what I see, like 1.3-1.55. Not that much but yea.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Don't try to save it after importing the hexed MDL0, it won't let you. Besides, you won't be using that BRRES anymore, you only need the hexed MDL0 to replace another MDL0 from Brawl (well, you need the BRRES to extract the textures, but you can do that w/o the hexed MDL0).
No, it does. When it errors, just click continue. The MDL0 will be where it saved.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone tried Twilight Princess?

Hmm... maybe Miis are in mdl0's. Maybe not in the Mii Channel or any place accessible, but Warioware: Smooth Moves has mdl0's, and has Miis in it, too. Then you could pretty much make a character using the Mii thing.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
It's not that simple. Not all DVD drives can read Wii discs. There's lots of Wii homebrew out there to dump the contents of the Wii's disc drive, but I don't feel comfortable talking about it here.
Making the Wii disc into a ISO by putting it in my computer worked fine for me.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Oh, never mind then. It worked for me yesterday, which is why I said it. :p

Anyways, after I hexed the material1's and polygons in the MDL0 of Feraligatr, I replaced it in the brres file, and it worked. However, when I save it, it says "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Key". So then I press save again and it says "The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\****\Desktop\Feraligatr.brres' because it is being used by another process.'

o.o

Any ideas?
Delete anything that isn't the model or textures, then import the new model. It gives you that error because the strings for any animations, etc. in the BRRES don't work properly.

btw, RandomTBush, Bleach Vs Crusade models are not perfect size. You may want to change that in the OP. They need to be scaled, from what I see, like 1.3-1.55. Not that much but yea.
Whoops. I probably thought that because his model was on an Alloy, and those are a bit larger in-game.

@Thatguyyoumightknow. When I save it, Part5Offset goes back into Unknown6 again. =\

So I'll just do what alexjol said.
Ah, yeah. If it's giving you the same problem I originally had, you'll have to close BrawlBox before you save the file. :x

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Wow... Thats alot of research you did Stony. I mean, a REAL lot. This does seem like a bit of a problem doesn't it?

There are so many variables, like all those files named EXACTLY the same thing? This may be a little tougher than I thought...

I'll have to research more, and I would be most greatful If you decided to help me on this project, because you seem to know what your doing, Lol.

Anyways, Thanks a whole lot for your help! I found it really funny how you found "Goron" in there. What is that supposed to be anyway? Gorons never appeared in Super Paper Mario, do they?
I only seem like I know what I'm doing. I mean, I can use a hex editor's search function just fine, but I can't even hex Zack right after getting exact instructions on how to do so, lol.

I'm just speculating here since I know nothing about Japanese myself, but the word "Goron" might be some general-purpose Japanese word or play on words which can be attributed to multiple characters besides the rock-eaters we're familiar with. Maybe it just means "Rock" in Japanese.

Anywho...

I've made some progress on identifying Animal Crossing City Folk Special NPC models (data/npc/special/model).

0.brres is Rover.
2.brres is Tom Nook in his Nook's Cranny apron.
10.brres is Polly.
11.brres is Phyllis.
12.brres is Rover again.
13.brres is Mayor Tortimer.
14.brres is the pelican mailman guy, I forget his name.
15.brres and 16.brres are Tom Nook's kids from Nookington's, Timmy and Tommy.
17.brres is Mr. Resetti.
18.brres is Resetti's brother, I forget his name.
19.brres is Bianca.

None of them have enough bones to be used in Brawl. Tom Nook only has 22, for example.

I tried hexing their materials and polygons, but had to figure out where to delete and insert bytes myself since both materials and polygons are much larger in these MDLOs than the OP claims.

For materials, jump forward 1B8 bytes from the beginning of the materials header and delete the four 00 bytes there. Then jump forward 598 bytes from the beginning of the materials header and insert four 00 bytes there.

For polygons, jump forward 1E0 bytes from the beginning of the polygon header and delete the last four FF bytes there. Then jump forward 224 bytes from the beginning of the polygon header and insert four 00 bytes before the 00000850.

Doing all of this made the offsets display properly in BrawlBox like the OP said they should. Unfortunately, hexing any of the polygons or materials causes the model to not display in the previewer of my version of BrawlBox; I get an error code and a big red X shows up in the window. This exact same problem happened with Zack and I'm pretty sure it's a glitch in my version of BrawlBox, which pisses me off. The only way I can view the models is to hex the MDL0 header and nothing else, which resulted in those pictures up there with half of Nook's face texture facing the wrong way, and both models in grayscale.

I'm running 64-bit Vista, if that matters at all. I've got the latest version of BrawlBox too.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
It shouldn't matter if you use a PAL .iso or an NTSC .iso, right? Both would have mdl0's or not have mdlo's, right? Just wondering.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
As a note, "Goron" is a play on the Japanese sound for rolling, "goro". So it probably means a boulder or something similar that rolls.

Anyone want to try making a custom set of villagers on Smashville with the ones from City Folk?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
It shouldn't matter if you use a PAL .iso or an NTSC .iso, right? Both would have mdl0's or not have mdlo's, right? Just wondering.
The files inside are the same, legally speaking, I'm not sure if one can simply get a PAL Iso for example while owning an NTSC Disc

My DVD drive doesn't read my Wii discs sadly :/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Venusaur has 28 bones, just like Hitmonlee so he won't work for now.

Flygon does however have 33 bones so he will be my project for now.

Edit: I get an error when trying to save Flygon over Yellow Alloy.

''Value cannot be null.''
''Parameter name: key''

If i could get a little help from somebody?

Edit again: Nvm. Doing him over Red Alloy instead.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
Stoney, I would love you if you would find the mask somehow.
There are 129 hats in the game, and all of their files are named "cap###.brres", with the #'s replaced by a number from 1 to 129. The only way you'll be getting the mask you want is by going through every single one of those 129 files until you find it through random lucky chance.

EDIT:
To anyone else who might be hopeful of acquiring a particular Animal Crossing item in Brawl: all of City Folk's item files use a similar naming scheme to the hats, just replace "cap" with whatever category of item you want.

91 carpets. (Carpet##.brres)
345 clothing designs. (Cloth###.brres)
62 fish. (Fish##.brres)
33 flowers. (Flower##.brres)
57 fossils. (Fossil##.brres)
728 pieces of furniture. (Ftr###.brres)
59 insects. (Insect##.brres)
22 paintings. (Picture##.brres)
33 umbrella designs. (Umbrella##.brres)
91 wallpapers. (Wall##.brres)

Basically my point is that. aside from character models (which are helpfully split up into two groups: the "special" models you can see in every town, and the "common" models that make up the random villagers), it is impossible to find a specific item from City Folk on the disc and good luck to whoever tries.

EdgyBluz

Smash Apprentice
I have found the Majora's Mask model in ACCF. It was quite easy, I just went to the last cap numbers.
The name of the file is Cap124. It is located in Data>Item>Cap>Cap124.brres

Anyone care to hex it now? ;)

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Making the Wii disc into a ISO by putting it in my computer worked fine for me.
Again, depends on your drive. LG drives tend to work but some others do too. There's a thread about it on Dolphin forums. I just use WiiHTTPd personally.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
I have found the Majora's Mask model in ACCF. It was quite easy, I just went to the last cap numbers.
The name of the file is Cap124. It is located in Data>Item>Cap>Cap124.brres

Anyone care to hex it now? ;)
You got lucky, congrats. ;P Though this does give me hope that the super-special items based on Nintendo's other licensed properties are at the end of whatever sections they're in. I'll
have to check the last few Furniture items for Warp Pipes and the like later today.

Yeah, I'll hex the mask. Gimme a little while.

EDIT:

Interior of the file is once again different from what is claimed in the OP. When hexing the materials, jump forward 118 bytes from the beginning of the material header to delete the four 00 bytes, then jump forward 4F4 bytes to insert four 00 bytes. When hexing polygons, jump forward 140 bytes from the beginning of the polygon header to delete the last four FF bytes, then jump forward 164 bytes to insert four 00 bytes.

It works a lot better in Brawlbox than the character models did. I guess the character models were just messed up for some reason?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Yes, alloys can get specials. Also, i would love if you came with suggestions for the moveset.
alright then lets see the
down special- earthquake
up special- fly or u turn both would work
neutral special- dragon claw or dragon pulse
side special- outrage
final smash- draco meter
and his smashes could use his claws and wings hope this helps
also i would love to see this as a charcter THE LEGEND OF ZELDA GANONS MASK
http://pokemongypsum.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=70055835 this is wut it would look like

Top Bottom