• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MIST - Results topic up! http://tinyurl.com/3qvnl58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
This is a terrible mindset.
At first I thought you meant my expectation to have 80+ players. Then I realized you just meant the "if you don't think you'll progress out of pools, it might be better to save your money and just play more friendlies" part. But keep in mind, he is talking to a girl. So it's not THAT bad of a mindset...is it? You're coming to this, right?

Kage, maybe we can get Saffy to marry you and then you both can move to Springfield ^_^

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage if im here i challenge you to a MM if we don't play in bracket
MM anyway if we do meet in pools/brackets? =P

Saffy, I'm entering singles bracket even though I know I'll just get wrecked. But then again, I'm only contributing $15 to the bonus pot.

Also, I'd totally pay $5 to get 3-0ed by Kage. It's kind of like a money match, but without the chance of making it back.
LOL, that's funny to think like that. But I mean I'm only human, I can be beaten as well. <3

Agreed, tournament experience is usually the best experience you can get.

Edit: Zivilyn, LOLLLL. But I mean I actually would do it... =D

Zantetsu

Smash Master
"pools will probably knock people out rather then be just for seeding so if you don't think you'll progress out of pools, it might be better to save your money and just play more friendlies.."

I'm not trying to say she won't make it at all, I'm saying if she doesn't think she'll make it, she might enjoy the tournament more by saving 15 dollars and getting more friendlies in instead. I don't see how that's a terrible mindset. You can get a lot more matches in with your preferred opponents from friendlies, rather then waiting on your bracket matches to fight against people who are going to have the mindset "play to win."

I find it easier, if you're starting melee, to play with people who can teach you while you play and play characters they're not particularly good with so the person learning has a bit of a fighting chance. I do agree that fighting better people gets yourself better, but that only goes so far. If you're trying to learn melee and you're just getting 4 stocked all over the place by a person who's been playing for a long time and who's playing at their best, I don't see how you can learn much from that.

Edit: Lol @ 2 posts being posted in the time it took me to write this one. I hate it when that happens.

Tink

Smash Hero
kage, i request a bunch of MMs! something like, marth/peach/fox/falco vs ganon.....all 5$ best of 3. get at me!

edit: Lil englands prolly thinking of it from a, if this person wants to get better, standpoint......friendlies are just like they sound....not serious and friendly for the most part....u dont really even get nervous in friendlies, but in a pool/bracket match, its a completly diff beast. all smashers know this 0_0!

i suggest saving the 15 bux and going around and 1/2$ mms ppl untill you make a bunch back or are outta the 15$!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
kage, i request a bunch of MMs! something like, marth/peach/fox/falco vs ganon.....all 5$ best of 3. get at me!

edit: Lil englands prolly thinking of it from a, if this person wants to get better, standpoint......friendlies are just like they sound....not serious and friendly for the most part....u dont really even get nervous in friendlies, but in a pool/bracket match, its a completly diff beast. all smashers know this 0_0!
****tt, all those matchups? Alrighty!

Tink

Smash Hero
loll...we could do some for friendlies/1$....i just wanted the first 2, and tacked on the 2nd 2 since i hear your good vs spacies :p.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
loll...we could do some for friendlies/1$....i just wanted the first 2, and tacked on the 2nd 2 since i hear your good vs spacies :p.
I'm good vs spacies? I guess I'm alright, but I don't think I'm super exceptional vs them lol.. but i can still try i suppose.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master

i suggest saving the 15 bux and going around and 1/2$ mms ppl untill you make a bunch back or are outta the 15$!
There is no substitute for tournament experience, especially since the game's days are numbered. You should play in the tourney because who knows when you will be able to play in another one of this calibre.

Tink

Smash Hero
pshhh...chicago just had a 38 person biweekly 0_0.....whats going away?

also kage, you gotta remember that your gonna be playing a MW player thats most likley going to be veryyy high...u got thattt!

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
@BHLMRO This is how I see it. Even though your post was directed towards Saffy, it was indirectly also posted towards anyone else who is unsure of their ability to perform in tournament. If you're going to a tournament, ENTER the tournament. Don't beat around the bush because you don't think you'll do well. Get the tournament experience. This has proven time and time again to be the best way to improve! Ask questions about the match after the set, whether you win or lose.

Overall, people are just too tense when it comes to tournaments. Just relax play your game and have fun!

Tink

Smash Hero
pshhhh....lil england doesnt speak of chicago tournaments where if ur not good and play me, i lecture you during the match at what ur doing wrong :pPP.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
pshhh...chicago just had a 38 person biweekly 0_0.....whats going away?

also kage, you gotta remember that your gonna be playing a MW player thats most likley going to be veryyy high...u got thattt!
Very high huh? loll.. Then we have to do the MMs when I'm high too or else it's not fun. =) Smoke me up a little? =P

Lance, lol, well then.. I can do the same, I'm not afraid either!

Zantetsu

Smash Master
@BHLMRO This is how I see it. Even though your post was directed towards Saffy, it was indirectly also posted towards anyone else who is unsure of their ability to perform in tournament. If you're going to a tournament, ENTER the tournament. Don't beat around the bush because you don't think you'll do well. Get the tournament experience. This has proven time and time again to be the best way to improve! Ask questions about the match after the set, whether you win or lose.

Overall, people are just too tense when it comes to tournaments. Just relax play your game and have fun!
I, myself, have thrown money away by entering a tournament and not getting through pools. Do I regret it? No. I agree with you that tournaments are the best way to improve, no doubt. But do you really believe that a tournament will make you improve if you're not able to L cancel, wavedash, etc.? I'm sorry, but I still stand by my beliefs that there is a line where you will not progress if you are not of a specific skill level and that friendlies with other players may be a better way to improve.

I don't want this to sound like I'm calling Saffy a noob, but the last time I remember her talking about melee, I heard she said that she wasn't able to L cancel or wavedash very well. This could have changed, and if she has improved, I suggest that she may want to enter the tournament. But if she hasn't practiced much and still doesn't feel too sure on her progression, it might be better for her to play friendlies.

I like to put it in a Pokemon perspective. A lvl 5 will fight against a it's own level just fine, or improve by fighting those a bit higher. But we can all agree a lvl 5 can not compete with a lvl 25 so the lvl 5 might not want to fight in a tournament full of lvl 25-50's until the lvl 5 levels up by training against people of the same level or slightly better.

I'm sorry for the long reply. I'm terrible at explaining the way I think, lol.

Smoke me up a little? =P
Haha, awesome.

Bout TO WRECK SOME HOES AT DIS
Prove it. Show up. My friend said he'll only come if you show.

Saffy

Smash Ace
JUST SAY IT I'M A NOOB. No I really am I know nothing of Melee. I won't get offended or anything. I just need to improve ;3.

I can wavedash with luigi perfectly now. I can't incorporate L-Cancel though.
I might enter just so I can let Kage win more money? YES? Sounds like a good plan.

Apparently I am getting married again. I feel like one of those polygamists...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I spent approximately 2 years without winning a GAME in tournament. My first tournament was MLG Chicago.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I spent approximately 2 years without winning a GAME in tournament. My first tournament was MLG Chicago.
At least you have 2 years of experience. I've got only 5 legit tournaments under my belt since 06. 3 of them being this year. That's sad, sort of. At least my number increased by more than double in a year.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thats all it takes, playing, having fun, learning, ect. Everyone learns in their own way, and playing serious against people who are also serious is a really good way to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom