• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat 9

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Jax has an unblockable move he can FEINT, a safe, pretty fast overhead, fast normals, and can close in from full screen in no time. He's not bad anymore. He was terrible pre-patch.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Jax has an unblockable move he can FEINT, a safe, pretty fast overhead, fast normals, and can close in from full screen in no time. He's not bad anymore. He was terrible pre-patch.
Pound can only be canceled towards the end of the (extremely) slow animation. It's nice, and it helps, but it doesn't stop Jax from being a bad character. Anyone who just crouches and blocks avoids almost everything good Jax can do, other than possibly f4, 1, 4, which just basically resets position, which is bad for Jax.

Not much has changed since the patch, unless I'm missing something. To my understanding, all that was changed was the ability to cancel pound and some armor on EX dash punch. Neither of those things are enough to make Jax a good character. His combos potential is extremely small against anyone half-decent, damage output is mediocre, zoning is non-existent, has a hard time keeping the pressure on, blah blah blah. Seriously, next time you fight a Jax, just zone and crouch block, and see what he can do to you. Pound you can avoid on reaction, and safely at that to avoid a punish if he cancels it.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I think Jax WOULD be good if they just game him some way to do a bnb outside of the corner. That feint on the unblockable is gdlk though. Even if it is slow do you try to punish? He could cancel and **** you up or you could maybe predict that and eat an unblockable. ****s gay. I like it though.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I think Jax WOULD be good if they just game him some way to do a bnb outside of the corner. That feint on the unblockable is gdlk though. Even if it is slow do you try to punish? He could cancel and **** you up or you could maybe predict that and eat an unblockable. ****s gay. I like it though.
Right, he needs some damn launchers, haha.

The patch hasn't hit 360 yet, but I hear that the cancel is pretty late in the animation, which is sad. Still, opens up some options, and I like it.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Honestly, there's characters that are better than others in this game, but the balancing is pree darn good compared to other fighters. Sure people like Jax, Baraka, Sheeva are a little below par, and Raiden and Kung Lao and a little better, but they could compete ...

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Not really, but I got blown up by a Stryker, Sheeca, Baraka player last night.

WHO PLAYS THESE CHARACTERS

And the thing is, he was ****ing good with them.

I was getting wrecked cause I have no idea how to play them.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Time to engage in Mortal Kombat like its 1999!

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurple Raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Zone

Smash Champion
Um... From my experience smoke is still good lol. You shouldn't be hardcore rushing down. You should play a reactionary defensive smoke. Jade had no good overheads. Down back 2 is slow enough you can hit her out on reaction or stand block on reaction. But jade gets in by abusing space, range, and using safe block strings and tricking you into believing you're safe. And you have to bite the bait sooner or later and take the risk or you'll feed her meter and take a ton of chip. Smoke can be played sort of the same way effectively.

:phone:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So I pretty much main Jax now, he's just too much fun. Once you start getting momentum, he just rushes down so hard. Crazy fun.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I wanna get this game and **** people, old skool MK II style (the only Mortal Kombat I was ever any good at). Jump kicks, sweeps and uppercuts all dai.

What do ya'll think of Cyber Sub-Zero? He's probably going to be one of the first characters I try when I get this game.

Smooth Criminal

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I play with a really good CZ a lot (even though he mains Kano) and he's good. He doesn't do a lot of damage but he has a lot of options.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I've played against a few Skarlets, and I'm not a fan, haha. She can play a pretty safe keep-away game and it's pretty frustrating, especially as Jax. Her rush-down game is okay, but it seems hard for her to keep the pressure on. All-in-all, my first impressions are that she is lame as hell. At least to fight against.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I heard she's hard to play, so give em some time before you see the rushdown. Like they always say, zoning is always what comes up first, then people learn the rushdown.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I play with a really good CZ a lot (even though he mains Kano) and he's good. He doesn't do a lot of damage but he has a lot of options.
I've watched a few vids with CZ gameplay. His damage is balls. Lol. Good to know he has options. I like characters that have a lot of options.

I hate saying this 'cause I haven't really played him yet, but that freaking dive kick of his...it looks really unsafe sometimes. What do you think of it, Twists, having been up against it?

Smooth Criminal

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
If you do it too high you're gonna get ****ed up, but you can play with the height to make it safe. Plus you can bait the punish sometimes by doing it at a height where it doesn't look safe but that ******** counter will come out instantly and punish if they attack. Plus it's really hard to punish the counter.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Kenshi looks a lot more fun than I expected. I need to get Skarlet, but I can't help but feel they'll make a package with all dlc characters.

Top Bottom