• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Matt07

Smash Master
Went and seen Apollo 18 last night. Pretty good movie, jumped at a few parts lol. If you like sci-fi/horror films you should check it out.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Isn't that the one that has SMELL O VISION or whatever? How did that work out?
The "smell o vision" was pretty much a scratch and sniff card.

Numbers would appear onscreen, and you would scratch the corresponding number on the card.

In addition to being really tacky, they gave you nothing to actually scratch the cards with, so I found it impossible to smell anything.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Rebels of the Neon God

This movie (and director Tsai ming-liang in general) had an incredible impact on me when I first saw it many years ago. It was one of the movies where I realized that filmmaking is a boundless art. Even now, several years after, I am still constantly getting surprised and rejuvenated by movies.

This is an interweaving fabric of young adult Taiwanese urban life. It's awkward, meandering and subdued. The story mostly follows two young thieves as they steal arcade machine harddrives, pay phone change, etc and how their actions weave into other people's lives. Any description I give won't suffice. It's the experience of the movie, and the strange realness of the characters that makes it special. Watch it, or don't. You might like it or you might not. If someone ever asked me about Taiwanese cinema, I would no doubt point out this movie before anything else.

4.7/5

Network

Simply one of the best movies I've ever seen. For some reason, the most well-known and remembered part of this movie is the "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" monologue...But this movie is PACKED full of perfect, perfect monologues. It is an eerily prophetic film, and at the same time incredibly farcical. Pretty much everyone who has a speaking role in this movie won an Oscar, and if they didn't they should have. Peter Finch was the only person to posthumously win Best Actor for this film until Heath Ledger.

The story is about Howard Beale, a long-running news anchor whose ratings are starting to drop severely. This leads to his company letting him go, with a two weeks notice. Howard uses his next broadcast to announce that "next Tuesday I'm going to blow my brains out on live television".

Howard is immediately fired, of course, and given the opportunity to apologize to the public on his last broadcast before turning the show over to another anchor. He uses this broadcast to rant some more, and freely speak his mind. The network heads froth at the mouth in anger...until the ratings come in. Before you know it, Howard Beale has his own Glenn-Beck style doom-mongering show, and the network is showcasing a variety of other gimmick pundits in order to get on top of the ratings.

Peter Finch's performance is great and well-deserved of his Oscar...but I feel like I have to overemphasize Faye Dunawaye's performance. Although she also won Best Actress that year, you don't really hear people talk about her role in this movie as much as Finch. She's immaculate, as someone so obsessed with her work, and raised on television programming that she is barely a real human and sees it as an impossibility to connect with people on an actual emotional level.

Oh yeah, and I CAN'T forget my favorite monologue in the film. It's not even done by a main character but it is so immaculately written and performed and is so horrifyingly true that I can't get it out of my head.

[yt]v3vbCxj2ifs[/yt]

5/5

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Got round to watching Kick-***.

Not what I expected, but I enjoyed it.
Hit Girl <3

NTA

Smash Lord
I watched Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and 13 about a week ago. Finally got to see them all the way through. I think Eleven was my favorite one.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Horror Time. For months, I have been waiting for [REC] 3: Genesis to be released. So, I watched The first one and the sequel again before the third one comes out. It gives me Mad Hype to watch this.

On the otherhand, Quarantine 2: Terminal. It's not good.

NTA

Smash Lord
I've been looking for movies that give me chills or make me jump. I haven't seen any of those in a while. The last one I got chills from was Quarintine.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I reeeaaally liked Quarantine. Imo it uses first-person better than anything else. That is, if everyone else used it like they did, I wouldn't doubt that perspective's contribution to a movie so much.

clever with its placement of scares and foreshadows and its tension
good character construction
and subsequent destruction ;)

I think either that or The Thing are my favorite scary movies

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Naw, man. The reason why the staff and crew made quarantine is because they took the idea from [REC] and made it american.

I guarantee you that the spanish horror film is much better than that movie as it has a better storyline. Which is the reason why it's still going to be very popular instead of American Movies.

Same with "The girl with the dragon tatoo" and "Let the right one in".

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I thought Quarantine was only okay :ohwell:
The thing I liked about it though is that
there were no survivors, and the last girl died at the end. Normally with movies like this the main character would make some near-death escape, but this one didn't. I personally like being surprised with movies, since I wasn't really expecting her to die.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Which is why [REC] is way better.
The story continues as her body is possesed. Not killed in the american version.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Burn After Reading

The first time I saw this, I was entertained but coming out I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about the movie. Seeing it again, I'm gonna have to say I don't like it very much. Malkovich is a CIA analyst who gets fired and writes a memoir about his career. This memoir ends up in a public gym locker room and is found by Brad Pitt who thinks it's high security CIA codes.

Brad Pitt basically carries this movie and his final scene is definitely the most memorable in the entire film. It all goes to crap very quickly after that.

There are some great parts, but overall the characters are so insufferably stupid, self absorbed, or just complete *******s that it gets pretty annoying.

2/5

and for the hell of it, because I love tier lists:

COEN BROS RARE BASED TIER LIST

omg SO RARE

Fargo=Big Lebowski>Barton Fink=No Country For Old Men>Miller's Crossing>Blood Simple>O Brother Where Art Thou?>Burn After Reading>Raising Arizona>The Ladykillers>Hudsucker Proxy>Intolerable Cruelty

wish I saw all of them :*

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I saw Unknown with Liam Neeson, kinda made me think of a mix between Memento (near the end) and Bourne Identity. It wasn't as good as either one, but I enjoyed it. One of the few movies of that nature that I didn't figure out before the end.
I figured that the switch had something to do with an assassination attempt, because of Jurgen looking up the attempts online. I also really liked the double twist ending, with both the attempt not being on Shada's life, and the identity of Neeson.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
The movie was just weird and humorous. Never Scary.
But it was worth a watch. Ridiculously funny.

Also, Tower Heist seems to be on its tippy toes once it gets to theaters.
Is anyone going to watch that?

Staz

Smash Lord
never even saw it, I just saw the trailer and I lol'd

thought it would be great to hear what you guys thought of it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Aww yeah! Went and saw Lion King. Amazing on the big screen, seriously one of the best Disney soundtracks <3 that opening scene with Circle of Life omg.

Went through it all like I was a kid again. Had that smile on my face!
The 3D didn't do all that much, but I didn't care.

Also watched No Country for Old Men
Very different film, extremely tense, at times confusing directing choices and unsatisfying ending. Exactly as planned. Enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I saw O Brother Where Art Thou for the first time a couple weeks ago. I hate most movies but damn, this movie was fantastic and now I can't stop listening to the Soggy Bottom Boys' #1 hit single.

I love the scene where George Clooney is arguing with the store clerk about Dapper Dan. "I don't want FOP god dammit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Just got back from watching the movie "Contagion".
It was pretty good actually. Pretty interesting concept. It'll definitely make you think twice about touching things.

The ending
was kind of too happy for me. Everything ended up being fine. I was expecting a huge twist at the end.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I saw Lion King 3D last night, was pretty cool. Slow mo fight scene with Scar was siiiiick.

Fun fact: part of Contagion was filmed at/near one of the middle schools in my district.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Just got back from watching the movie "Contagion".
It was pretty good actually. Pretty interesting concept. It'll definitely make you think twice about touching things.

The ending
was kind of too happy for me. Everything ended up being fine. I was expecting a huge twist at the end.
Man I saw that movie's trailer on the television the other day, it kinda reminded me of "The Crazies" a little, at least from what I could tell from the preview. It also had some good cast in there, I'll probly end up watching it shortly.

Top Bottom