• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
You would have, essentially, three types of combos and the type is determined by how you end it.
The potential Crux to your suggestion depends on whether they fix the neutral jab lock (well pertaining to a specific group of characters).

I don't know if anyone has noticed it, but after the second input it doesn't matter what other button you push, yet if you even push one at all, the remaining neutral attack (third in sequence) will execute until the whole technique complete.

What a poor choice of designations. I know its one of the reasons I was so turned off to Kirby: why can't his multi hit be dependent on how many times you press 'A'?

Overall, what I'm saying is unless the game itself can register all of these commands as they occur on the dot, the game cannot be enhanced with this depth (which would work WONDERS for the setup in general).

I guess now we'd have to have a keen eye on how this can relate to Smash's current design. Because, as I've mentioned, realistically we have the issue of DI in all its different aspects.

Brosis said:
If only you could see and hear the tilt of my head and the high pitch of my voice.
Ah, Stewie references, legit.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Black Shadow wouldn't be a sword character and got way more mentions in Sakurai's journal than Goroh. Plus we need more villains. Also, to make Ganon a non clone, you could easily give his moveset to Black Shadow and declone him.
I do think you raise an interesting choice of "replacing" Ganondorf's current moveset to get a new moveset. I think you overestimate the impact of Sakurai's journal, though.
Professor Layton has a much higher chance than people give him credit for.
Is Professor Layton owned by Nintendo or not=??? If so, I think Professor Layton has a shot, definitely. If not, then think we can pretty much eliminate Professor Layton.
After my studies in DMA, I've discovered that Game Design is slowly, but surely increasing in the rate of finished products. If you look at before, and then you looked at now, you'll see that games are made faster nowadays. Mainly, because of remakes and better technology. Sakurai said he wants to build up from SSBB, so with a starting point, and a game that revolves around a certain fog (Being fighting of course), I've estimated that the game can, at the max, take 2 to 3 years to finish, from January onwards.
Games are made faster, but it will take longer than 3 years because two games are being made, unless 3 or more full time companies work on these two games.
I look at it now, and I think the 6th gen, out of speculation, could take another 2 years to come out, due to Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect, unless Genesect and Meloetta have a movie together, which for some reason doesn't feel right.
Well the Brawl roster was finalized or near finalized according to Sakurai, which is about a few months before Diamond and Pearl came out. With 2 games, Sakurai will probably take longer to choose characters. Add about 6 months to the length he had in Brawl to finalize the roster, and I think a 6th Generation Pokémon gets strongly "considered."
Mewtwo I would say is the most likely, thought Mega Man, K. Rool, and Ridley are also possibilities.
The character poll may not have cut characters. If so, I think the frontrunners of that would be Ridley and Mega Man. Sakurai may also be "moving on" from Roy and Mewtwo.
Victini and Zoroark on the other hand, will definitely not become the most wanted character period for SSB4 (as much as I'd love to see Victini reach #1). Neither have a general consensus like the other four you suggest and it will likely remain that way for the rest of SSB4 development. But if of course Victini/Zoroark reached #1 and the vice versa has already made the cut, it gives us two 5th gen reps.
Anything could happen. I don't remember Lucario having any competition (Deoxys early on, maybe=???). His popularity made the "competition" insignificant. That may happen again...
They'll be another prerecorded conference from Nintendo on Monday 10:00 EST.
I friggen love you man. All homo, no items pants, your bedroom, Fox dittos for sure! :laugh: :awesome: ;) :bee: :glare: :smirk: :woman: :) If it's at night, though, I'll be busy. Tell me about it afterwards though!
I LOVE YOU ALL
I LOVE YOU ALL MORE! THAT IS WHY I TYPE SO BIG AND GO ON LONG RANTS!!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So he'll get in as if to fill a quota? Not based on his own merits? Purely circumstantial? Conditions maybe attributable to Krom as much as we wish not to? :troll:

If only you could see and hear the tilt of my head and the high pitch of my voice.
Which is why I'm on the fence for him. The problem is that Lucario was also a popular Pokemon. Zoroark was promoted but didn't catch on. But I'm still thinking there will be a 5th gen rep because of the popularity of the game. Another idea I had was a second trainer in N with the starters (N is the most popular human character and the starters are among the most popular and very highly promoted).

Most popular Pokemon

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
December 17th, 2012 would be a perfect time for a trailer... revealing... MEGA MAN!!! Why you ask=??? It would then be Mega Man's 25th birthday! YEAHHHHH!!!

@ SmashChu
The demand and potential for Victini and Zoroark will be impossible to ignore for Sakurai Plus Game Freak could help make a new Pokémon in smash (like with Lucario) again.

Also, what magazine is that list from=??? Popularity via a poll and demand/potential for a great moveset in smash can be the same... or two totally different things. :laugh:
Grandma got run over by a Mewtwo. Running to the Smash Bros. Registry. You can say there's no Mewtwo in Smash Bros., But just ask Doc and Pichu; they believe.
Good song bro!!! ;)
Dr. Mario was a way to pad the roster number for Melee. He added nothing to the game. A costume idea is fine. Having pills instead of fireballs (same size, trajectory, damage) for the costume change is fine. Otherwise, he is a waste of design.
Random Hypothetical Question to confuse your opinions time: If Dr. Mario was added late over 2 items, would you be mad=??? (I'm just curious for your guys' answers)
I feel your pain. The problem is, the 1st generation got too much representation in Brawl. The other generations need some love too.
The reason there are many Generation 1 Pokémon playable characters is because the general public, the SSB development team, and Sakurai feel it has interesting characters.

"Happy Christmas to you! Happy Christmas to you! Happy Christmas to Matthew! Happy Christmas to you!"
I sang this song after my uncle thought my brother's birthday was today and he started singing the "Happy Birthday" song. My brother's birthday is the 4th of July! (twas' silly) :facepalm:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
SmashChu said:
The problem is that Lucario was also a popular Pokemon. Zoroark was promoted but didn't catch on.
Fascinating insight, a character that caught on in popularity later in the series span produced a cliche replica of said character. Its almost cheesy.

Apparently Zoroark's promotion should suggest his importance, but in the long haul he wasn't interesting.

But I'm still thinking there will be a 5th gen rep because of the popularity of the game.
I wonder whether there actually needs to be a playable rep or if indicators representing the 5th gen's significance to the series would suffice.

Thus far, each title has been surprisingly dynamic in what relevance by representation means, its my expectation that we would be surprised again (in the midst of all our assertions/observations)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I gotta go with Smashchu on Lucario vs Zoroark. I remember when both were revealed and reactions to their movies, not to mention their significance to their repective generations. Lucario >> Zoroark, even the IGN poll shows this.

The other problem is the seer popularity of Mewtwo as well, not to mention that Sakurai sees Pokeballs as another form of representation.

Props for bring up N again though. (N uses and brainwashes Starter Pokemon in the manga, so I'm okay with it :laugh:)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ ---
I still think the 5th Generation of Pokémon will get a character without a doubt, even if all the Brawl Pokémon characters, Mewtwo, and even Pichu return. Black and White sold more games in the first hour of its' release than Star Fox has this entire millennium (yet it has 3 playable characters). :laugh: But no, the real reason I say that is Zoroark and Victini are too unique (along with other Pokémon) to not get a playable character. Personally, I think Generation 5 is the best since the 2nd Generation.

Plus Sakurai will ask Game Freak/The Pokémon Company for yet another new Pokémon, and he will get one... from the 5th (or if he waits long enough, the 6th) Generation of Pokémon. The 5th Generation being skipped in favor of the (then upcoming) 6th Generation is the only way I see no 5th Generation Pokémon playable in smash.

Although stranger things (and characters) happen in the world of smash... :laugh:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
So a poll ranking the Gen 5 manz? I suppose those rankings are legit.

The other problem is the seer popularity of Mewtwo as well, not to mention that Sakurai sees Pokeballs as another form of representation.
Pretty much how it went for Deoxys. Thankfully Mewtwo's absence in representation (trophy room I know) is a possible indicator that he's not too far gone.

By every sense Mewtwo >>> Lucario and hopefully if anyone else would need to be replaced, it would be Lucario.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
^^For the record I'm not arguing against a 5th Gen rep, I, just like everyone else, think it will happen. I will admit my bias though, as I personally would perfer to just get Mewtwo back and leave it at that with no Brawl cuts.

But based on personal experience and from what I've seen over the years: Mewtwo >> Lucario >> 5th Gen Pokemon.

Either way, I have confidence in Sakurai that he will find a way to resolve this issue, either that or the time constants excuse.

yani_

Smash Ace
I don't mean to offend anyone, but do people really want Pichu in SS4B? It don't get why people would vote for it (pikachu clone) over other good, not to mention original additions over in the top roster candidate thread. Feel free to slam me if you think otherwise... :)
Well Pichu has a fanbase now after being in Melee, and also some people just hate the fact that characters were cut, and want them all to make a come back. Some people like the fact that he was a 2nd gen rep. Some like the fact that he was a baby pokemon. He also had a very unique ability to hurt himself :troll:. But jokes aside as long as we get the essential pokereps first (pika jiggz PT mewtwo lucario 5th/6thgen) I'd love to see him come back. Or even have him as DLC

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^For the record I'm not arguing against a 5th Gen rep, I, just like everyone else, think it will happen. I will admit my bias though, as I personally would perfer to just get Mewtwo back and leave it at that with no Brawl cuts.
I agree 100%. No cuts, add a dozen new characters (give or take a few) and everybody is happy. Add DLC characters (for free!) later on and nobody with internet will be upset! ;)
But based on personal experience and from what I've seen over the years: Mewtwo >> Lucario >> 5th Gen Pokemon.
I agree in the Pokémon series that Mewtwo is king, but I am kind of even on Lucario and Mewtwo in smash as playable characters. Both really added a lot, and I don't have a particular favorite. It is especially hard to gauge since Mewtwo was awful. If I were to choose between Melee Mewtwo or Brawl Lucario though, I would choose Brawl Lucario.
Either way, I have confidence in Sakurai that he will find a way to resolve this issue, either that or the time constants excuse.
Hopefully the roster is big enough for the 6 Brawl Pokémon, Mewtwo, and a new Pokémon. Sakurai always finds a way to please us, 2 or 3 character decisions per game aside.
Or even have him as DLC
If every character was DLC, the world would be a better place. Too bad not every character can be. But hey, there is always smash sequels! (while maintaining quality!) :cool:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
...Or he could put the simi's in (simipour, simisage, simisear) and make everyone confused. :-P

But to be honest I'd love to see Mewtwo AND a 5th gen pokemon in smash 4. My main problem here is that Lucario would be the likely one cut out, and i actually really like Lucario.

But i know not everything can happen according to my wishes. I dunno what'll happen, but it'll likely be a mix for me, if any predictions i make are correct (then again, that could be highly unlikely)

D

Deleted member

Johnknight1 said:
Is Professor Layton owned by Nintendo or not=??? If so, I think Professor Layton has a shot, definitely. If not, then think we can pretty much eliminate Professor Layton.
I wished, but he isn't.
Johnknight1 said:
Well the Brawl roster was finalized or near finalized according to Sakurai, which is about a few months before Diamond and Pearl came out. With 2 games, Sakurai will probably take longer to choose characters. Add about 6 months to the length he had in Brawl to finalize the roster, and I think a 6th Generation Pokémon gets strongly "considered.
Add into the fact that the Pokemon Company plans very far ahead into the future. If the first episode of Pokemon doesn't have fans realize that, nothing will.
Johnknight1 said:
The character poll may not have cut characters. If so, I think the frontrunners of that would be Ridley and Mega Man. Sakurai may also be "moving on" from Roy and Mewtwo.
I'd add K. Rool to that list of most popular newcomers, since it is regularly mentioned worldwide (probably the newcomer most people are okay with in Japan).

Also, remember that this will be a write-out like it was in Brawl, so they will ask for Mewtwo a lot.
Johnknight1 said:
Anything could happen. I don't remember Lucario having any competition (Deoxys early on, maybe=???). His popularity made the "competition" insignificant.
It could, but as you said, Lucario had no serious competition. 5th gen is a whole different climate in which the contest seems to be between Zoroark and Victini, so the fan base will be split between the two.
SmashChu said:
Which is why I'm on the fence for him. The problem is that Lucario was also a popular Pokemon. Zoroark was promoted but didn't catch on. But I'm still thinking there will be a 5th gen rep because of the popularity of the game. Another idea I had was a second trainer in N with the starters (N is the most popular human character and the starters are among the most popular and very highly promoted).

Most popular Pokemon
I think the reason why Zoroark never reached the height that Lucario did was because it tried to ride off Lucario's popularity. This has helped it become popular, but I think the Pokemon Company focused way too much on him being the next Lucario. It doesn't help that he was an Event Pokemon in Black & White. Perhaps that is why I am not completely sure on him being the 5th gen mascot of this gen (especially since there's still just under three years left for this gen) and why in Japan, Zoroark is almost always referred to as a Lucario replacement.

For the N idea, I like it, but I don't think N with the Unova starters is appropriate. He should use his own Pokemons instead. However, they could opt for a Snivy/Pignite/Samurott team (my personal favorite for a 5th gen team).

As for the poll, I don't think there's much to say about it, especially considering that it was done over half a year ago (before Victini's movies), except that it is interesting to see that neither of the two most popular choices are very high up the list.

But all of this is early. 5th gen has not fully matured yet and we do not know the full extend of the impact Zoroark and Victini makes on the 5th gen.
Johnknight1 said:
Hopefully the roster is big enough for the 6 Brawl Pokémon, Mewtwo, and a new Pokémon. Sakurai always finds a way to please us, 2 or 3 character decisions per game aside.
The franchise is ever expanding with new characters, Mewtwo is relevant again, and Lucario is highly likely to be seriously considered for a return since Sakurai did state he liked all of his characters in Brawl. Brawl should have made an obvious indication that Sakurai cares more for characters then he does for representation (and Melee as well), so I am finally starting to see six slots as a serious possibility.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
While i wish Lucario could stay for the next one, I know that if both Victini and Zoroark get in, i'm becoming increasingly aware that mewtwo is getting quite a large amount of support to come back. If this is in other sectors it may prove to be the tipping point, meaning Lucario likely won't be seeing the light of sm4sh. Hmm... Darn, I really wish sm4sh could just put in all 4 (Lucario, Mewtwo, Victini, Zoroark)!. *sigh*

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
No responses at all to this for the past few pages?

I don't mean to offend anyone, but do people really want Pichu in SS4B? It don't get why people would vote for it (pikachu clone) over other good, not to mention original additions over in the top roster candidate thread. Feel free to slam me if you think otherwise... :)
This is exactly why this thread pisses me off. yani was the only person here to even TRY to answer his question. A guy has a question that wouldn't even take long to answer and y'all just ignore him in favor of whatever stupid *** discussion you were having. Can't say I'm surprised, though

Anyways, to answer your question, I don't really think Pichu is wanted as a whole, but I can see why some people like it

Some people probably enjoyed trolling with it in Melee, as it was a joke character, after all, or they liked the fact that you had a 2nd gen/baby rep in Pichu

I personally don't have a problem with Pichu but he shouldn't get in over say, Mewtwo or any other Pokemon that wouldn't be a clone

While i wish Lucario could stay for the next one, I know that if both Victini and Zoroark get in, i'm becoming increasingly aware that mewtwo is getting quite a large amount of support to come back. If this is in other sectors it may prove to be the tipping point, meaning Lucario likely won't be seeing the light of sm4sh. Hmm... Darn, I really wish sm4sh could just put in all 4 (Lucario, Mewtwo, Victini, Zoroark)!. *sigh*
I'm fairly certain we won't get both; there's no reason to have two, that's overkill. One 5th gen rep is enough as it is if we even get one

Add into the fact that the Pokemon Company plans very far ahead into the future. If the first episode of Pokemon doesn't have fans realize that, nothing will.
This is one reason why I'm thinking Genesect has a better shot than what most people think

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I gotta go with Smashchu on Lucario vs Zoroark. I remember when both were revealed and reactions to their movies, not to mention their significance to their repective generations. Lucario >> Zoroark, even the IGN poll shows this.

Props for bring up N again though. (N uses and brainwashes Starter Pokemon in the manga, so I'm okay with it :laugh:)
I guess I started a Pokemon discussion. This one is moving well.

Mewtwo still seems VERY popular and still manages to pop up when ever he can. No doubt he's coming back. I don't think he'll steal a seat.

nLim8d made a good point in that I think we'll be surprised. Black/White is hard to pin down because no one really stands out. I thought N as he kind of does and if they were ever going to do a second trainer character, it would be with someone like him (a character people really like and is identifiable). The problem is would Sakurai just make another Pokemon Trainer? Then again, he did entertain the idea of another Ice Climber like character so you never know.

On the manga, how is N different. In the game, he is a messed up guy who sees Pokemon as these great things.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
PREFERABLY I'd want Mewtwo, Lucario, Zoroark and Deoxys all playable as they all could be great fighters, and unique. But Mewtwo is my first choice if I had to pick one.

:phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Merry Christmas everyone! In light of the holidays, I've decided to give y'all a gift: I won't repost the PT Idea for this month (mainly because I don't feel like it). Happy holidays.

D

Deleted member

@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: Not to sound stubborn, but I don't think there's much to really say about it. This was done before Victini's movie and just when Black & White was barely out of it's infancy. I think a more relevant poll like this (with more votes if possible) will better indicate where both stands.
SmashChu said:
nLim8d made a good point in that I think we'll be surprised. Black/White is hard to pin down because no one really stands out. I thought N as he kind of does and if they were ever going to do a second trainer character, it would be with someone like him (a character people really like and is identifiable). The problem is would Sakurai just make another Pokemon Trainer? Then again, he did entertain the idea of another Ice Climber like character so you never know.
The N concept does definitely work, but I think that he should use his own Pokemon. Perhaps a team of Scrafty (Never shown in team, but it is an evolution of Scriggly, which he did use to fight you with in one batttle)/Darmanitan (whatever his name is)/Zoroark? Okay, perhaps you could switch out Darmanitan with Carracosta since he actually used the latter.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Problem with N as a Pokemon Trainer (among other things) is that you'd have to think of three stand-out Pokemon instead of one.

I mean, Zoroark is one, but Scrafty and Darmanitan??? I don't think they're even on Jigglypuff's level.

A preemptive "No." to anyone suggesting N using Zoroark, Victini, and Genesect.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If N is even Necessary, couldn't he just... be in the background like Pokemon Trainer... and have Zoroark as his ONLY Pokemon...? With Reshiram/Zekrom as his Final Smash I GUESS.

Protip: Z is just a flipped over N.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If N is even Necessary, couldn't he just... be in the background like Pokemon Trainer... and have Zoroark as his ONLY Pokemon...? With Reshiram/Zekrom as his Final Smash I GUESS.

Protip: Z is just a flipped over N.
Pshhh, I suggested this months ago. Really though I do not care about any of the fifth generation Pokémon. They can be Pokéball exclusive for all I care.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
More like plagiarism. Not very Strong of you Oasis. In fact, quite weak. Quite weak indeed.

Back to the Pokémon discussion if all Sakurai does is retain the Pokémon from Brawl while adding back in Mewtwo. I see that being the outcome that would probably appease the most people.

Protip: M is just an upside down W.

D

Deleted member

More like plagiarism. Not very Strong of you Oasis. In fact, quite weak. Quite weak indeed.

Back to the Pokémon discussion if all Sakurai does is retain the Pokémon from Brawl while adding back in Mewtwo. I see that being the outcome that would probably appease the most people.

Protip: M is just an upside down W.
Under a five slot situation, I agree, however, to appease the most people, add a sixth slot and add Victini/Zoroark.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Although I am inclined to believe that there is actually far less of a legitimate demand for a fifth generation Pokémon six slots would probably appease everyone. Well, except for HyperFalcon and Genesect supporters...

Protip: "W" is spelled "Double U" and looks like two "U"s together. Although on a keyboard they like like two "V"s. Double Vs?

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
But ultimately they got cut. I'm beginning to think it wasn't hesitation on Sakurai's part, but more like they were back-up additions in case he needed to make the roster bigger on a short notice. It would certainly explain Jigglypuff's late addition and her placement in the Brawl data.
I seriously doubt that they would have been added late to "buff up the roster". They were all added into development relatively early, so I think Sakurai intended on having the roster larger then it initially was. Remember that he did state he had a lot of contents he wanted to put in Brawl but couldn't. Had he gotten his way, we would have seen 41/42 characters instead of the 35 it turned out to be.

Roy and Mewtwo were definitely not going to be added late. If not for Sonic taking the resource of those two, there is a good chance they would have returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom