• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think only socially awkward people didn't like the silence of the SSE. They don't get out much so they don't recognize non-verbal cues.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Don't forget that Resident Evil 5 turned off many Resident Evil fans, Viewtiful Joe has been forgotten, Devil May Cry is now officially going to the crapper (more on that below), Okami has disappeared, and Lost Planet went to hell quickly. Heck, it seems every new Capcom IP within the last 10 years has either disappeared, gone to the crapper after a good start, or was awful to begin with.

Plus after Street Fighter and the Capcom/Street Fighter crossover games long hiatus, now we're getting a game a year, a remade/re-release a year, and overpriced DLC twice a month. It's like with Street Fighter and Capcom/Street Fighter crossover games we either get too much or nothing. Capcom also doesn't fix glitches in previous versions of the games, instead opting to re-release the game to get $43 off of you after getting $65 off of you, and all that money in DLC.

The new Devil May Cry is gonna suck. *rant incoming* The new Devil May Cry developer of the series' take on the series (even if non-canon) looks terrible. It probably will be worse than Devil May Cry 2. Also, Dante's new look is absolute garbage. He went from something of a bad a** to a little emo girl. :mad: :urg: :facepalm:
And don't forget Dino Crisis and Breath of Fire. They never had a sequel since their last games because they sucked so hard.

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ugh I hate non-verbal cues. I'm not even looking in their general direction because I am too busy staring at the ground.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Oh yeah: Mario stage, Zelda maze, Metroid escape, and F-Zero run.

Maze was the only one that I didn't hate after getting all the all-star trophies, so more random stuff is good.

no, I don't have Diablo III yet

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think only socially awkward people didn't like the silence of the SSE. They don't get out much so they don't recognize non-verbal cues.
Kinda makes you wonder if they enjoy any non-Uprising Nintendo games. They wouldn't last 5 minutes playing any game in the Metroid series.

EDIT: Except Other M.

Too many talkies, that's their problem.

How much of Melee's adventure mode was actually platforming?
Only Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and Ice Climbers had platforming. Throw in 12 stages, that's not very many overall. Short but sweet is a good way to look at this.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Too many talkies, that's their problem.
Come to think of it, since the SSE was geared towards those with no friends to give them a lengthy adventure rather than fight computers, maybe their social awkwardness fueled complaints are legitimate.

I also think double posting is against the rules only because OCD people are in power.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
...I come in to make a short post and I already regret it. Going back to lurking until something interesting comes up. D:<

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Palutena is the only newcomer Kid Icarus is ever going to get. Sakurai has gone on the record to say he most likely will never make another Kid Icarus game, and that it will probably be another 25 years before some other developer makes a new Kid Icarus game.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Sakurai also said he wasn't going to work on another smash game after Melee and here we are cursing his name after tripping in Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai also said he wasn't going to work on another smash game after Melee and here we are cursing his name after tripping in Brawl.
The difference is that Sakurai said with Kid Icarus that he placed every idea he had for that series with Uprising, whereas, even with Brawl's release, Sakurai lamented that there was still more stuff he wanted to put in but couldn't due to time constraints.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kinda makes you wonder if they enjoy any non-Uprising Nintendo games. They wouldn't last 5 minutes playing any game in the Metroid series.
Well, look at it this way. SSE communicated only by playing charades. Every other game with communication was in the form of text when it didn't have voice acting.

I would've easily settled for text dialogue as that's in style for most of the characters.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think Palutena is the only newcomer Kid Icarus is ever going to get. Sakurai has gone on the record to say he most likely will never make another Kid Icarus game, and that it will probably be another 25 years before some other developer makes a new Kid Icarus game.
I find it funny to see people acting surprised that it'd be another 25 years. Hades did say that in the end game credits. lol

I guess it also shows Sakurai's attachment to the series, so it's not Kirby in Melee. At this point it's all up to the fans.

Well, look at it this way. SSE communicated only by playing charades. Every other game with communication was in the form of text when it didn't have voice acting.

I would've easily settled for text dialogue as that's in style for most of the characters.
I was just joking about that. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I may have said this before, but you know how whenever you clear Classic Mode and All-Star Mode, you will see a congratulations video for the character that you were playing as!?

Maybe after clearing those game modes with specific characters, you can rewatch their ending cinemas at any time; for example, if you clear the game modes as Mario, you can rewatch his ending cinemas. It would be more convenient than having to redo the game modes again.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Speaking of which, does anyone want to see any more with these cinemas? Like an epilogue or something?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Hey, I think we should post pictures of ourselves! I'll start.

[COLLAPSE="Me"]
[/COLLAPSE]

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hey, I'm back. I'm sure you all missed me.
There are some basic, but dramatic changes that could make it a lot of better.

1. Break up the storyline into perspectives. Like in BlazBlue, you see only that character's side of the story. Maybe even include branches so you can get joke/bad endings.
2. Every character's storyline focuses on character interaction with action in between to keep the pacing up.
3. Let the storylines merge at a certain point and you obtain more freedom on who your "team" is at this point.
4. Let the characters talk, for God's sake. That's one of the biggest killers of the SSE.
5. Keep the levels interesting. SSE's levels were absolutely boring. There were no real puzzles and it wasn't really branching as it was ultimately about getting from point A to point B.
6. NO CRAPTASTIC ORIGINAL ENEMIES!
7. Put some freaking strategy into the bosses.
Not bad. I dont think they could have each character with their own story, but archs could work. And yes, the levels could be better.

Maybe. I'm not sure what the problem with non verbal cues are. In fact, it think it works better because communication is more body motions than words. Plus, it works when half the cast can't talk.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe. I'm not sure what the problem with non verbal cues are. In fact, it think it works better because communication is more body motions than words. Plus, it works when half the cast can't talk.
My problem is that it leaves a lot to be desired in the story telling process. Can you imagine how Kid Icarus Uprising would've been told if we left it all to miming?

Non verbal cues aren't bad, but there were a number of times in the SSE where it seemed like it left way too much to the audience to understand the context. I mean, what the heck was Yoshi doing and why was he going with Link. What adventure was Link going on before the purple rejects started to show up? Why's Zelda with Peach? What's the context of the opening fight if being a trophy is worse than death?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My problem is that it leaves a lot to be desired in the story telling process. Can you imagine how Kid Icarus Uprising would've been told if we left it all to miming?

Non verbal cues aren't bad, but there were a number of times in the SSE where it seemed like it left way too much to the audience to understand the context. I mean, what the heck was Yoshi doing and why was he going with Link. What adventure was Link going on before the purple rejects started to show up? Why's Zelda with Peach? What's the context of the opening fight if being a trophy is worse than death?
Zelda was with peach because Mario just wants cake, and Link whines all the time

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
That's a bad example because uprising isn't really told through cutscenes and the way the game is handled you need tips/hints on the fly. Plus a lot of the dialogue in the game isn't really building the story but rather developing the characters which the characters in brawl have had multiple titles to do.

After playing mp5, I can conclude koopa kid > bowser jr/ baby bowser.

:phone:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I guess I must be socially awkward 'cause the SSE's vehicle for storytelling did not engage me at all. There were a few instances that elicited a guffaw or two (Diddy and Falco were amusing), but when the rest of the story is a bunch of piecemeal scenes where the basic unit of communication is inarticulate gesticulation or exaggerated emotions, and the plot's advancement is forced and linear as a line...well, I could go on.

But, I could care less about the story for a Smash Bros game. The story doesn't take away from the fact that it's a solid series. I'll uphold my lofty standards for storytelling to those mediums where it applies. I care about the gameplay and all that comes along with it for these kinds of games.

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

For a new story mode: As I said, expand Melee's adventure mode. That's what most people want to see and the best way to involved as many Nintendo worlds as possible.
I'm feeling that he may use up all of his ideas for Smash 4 this game as well, so I have a feeling this will be the last Smash game in a long while.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess I must be socially awkward 'cause the SSE's vehicle for storytelling did not engage me at all. There were a few instances that elicited a guffaw or two (Diddy and Falco were amusing), but when the rest of the story is a bunch of piecemeal scenes where the basic unit of communication is inarticulate gesticulation or exaggerated emotions, and the plot's advancement is forced and linear as a line...well, I could go on.

But, I could care less about the story for a Smash Bros game. The story doesn't take away from the fact that it's a solid series. I'll uphold my lofty standards for storytelling to those mediums where it applies. I care about the gameplay and all that comes along with it for these kinds of games.

Smooth Criminal
I guess you are. Anyway, no one's saying the story wasn't crap. But dialogue won't help that. So it's pretty much unnecessary any way you look at it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Riiiight.

Weren't you just saying that people were socially awkward for not "getting" the non-verbal cues?

Well, I didn't "get" them, and that sure as hell doesn't make me socially inept.

...am I really justifying myself to a monkey? **** this.

Smooth Criminal

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
The smash bros. story is cool.
Ok, I got some time to burn, so here goes......

The Smash Bros. Story is essentially about coming of age, and the drawbacks of adulthood. it is effected in how the series changes in look with each game.

the first game was of course,the youthful era, in which it had a more childlike, bright look to things. the Master hand represented imagination and creation, which all children bare at the time. as such, the stages were all represented with toys, which the Hand acted and manipulate the events of.

The sequel melee reflected the Pre-teen in the being. they long abandoned the toys for collectible Trophies, much like how boys branded stuffed toys for action figures. in this era, camethe Crazy hand-which represents one's rebellious desire to destroy one's creation. they experimented with new concepts of how to make kiddier characters look better-like How Bowser has a monstrous form.

Brawl reflected Puberty.the older being took obsession with more mature features-like snake, and the sensual design of ZSS. not only that, but the subspace army seeked to erase that which came from their youth, to reflect upon the inevitable fact of childhood. master Hand was manipulated in such a way to showcase how sometimes we are dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood, which we cannot stop, but wish to do. this is why the being was called Tabuu-for he reflects that that must happen, but we always don't want to do: abandoning that from our past, and forcibly growing up into the unknown.

and that's the story.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Was watching to see who would finally answer that question to see who is the nicest among us. Congratulations Metal Overlord, you're not an ***. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom