• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I tried to draw a story where all the characters only communicated through body language, it was actually pretty tough

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No talking from those who don't normally.

Leave it to Text Boxes, please. They're far better and we don't have to worry about crappy voice acting(which is guaranteed).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
My problem is that it leaves a lot to be desired in the story telling process. Can you imagine how Kid Icarus Uprising would've been told if we left it all to miming?

Non verbal cues aren't bad, but there were a number of times in the SSE where it seemed like it left way too much to the audience to understand the context. I mean, what the heck was Yoshi doing and why was he going with Link. What adventure was Link going on before the purple rejects started to show up? Why's Zelda with Peach? What's the context of the opening fight if being a trophy is worse than death?
I never had a problem understanding the story without voices. One thing you mentioned is we don't know what the characters are doing this, but we don't need a huge back story to get the picture. Especially since the story is really just "Go beat up X." When you have 30+ characters and trying to get them to all have some spotlight, it's probably better to just get the point across and move on. Most of the time, they fight because they are good guys as is the case a lot of the time. I'll give you that some details will get missed, but it works for a game to just get a point across.

I had a really good reason a while back and I forgot it. Dang it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There are some basic, but dramatic changes that could make it a lot of better.

1. Break up the storyline into perspectives. Like in BlazBlue, you see only that character's side of the story. Maybe even include branches so you can get joke/bad endings.
2. Every character's storyline focuses on character interaction with action in between to keep the pacing up.
3. Let the storylines merge at a certain point and you obtain more freedom on who your "team" is at this point.
4. Let the characters talk, for God's sake. That's one of the biggest killers of the SSE.
5. Keep the levels interesting. SSE's levels were absolutely boring. There were no real puzzles and it wasn't really branching as it was ultimately about getting from point A to point B.
6. NO CRAPTASTIC ORIGINAL ENEMIES!
7. Put some freaking strategy into the bosses.
1: Branching out endings probably isn't the best option.

2: Agreed, depending on who is involved.

3: Agreed.

4: No voice acting please.

5: Certain stages do need more versatility.

6: As long as most of the enemies are the classics, that's all that matters.

7: Primarily debatable.

D

Deleted member

No talking from those who don't normally.

Leave it to Text Boxes, please. They're far better and we don't have to worry about crappy voice acting(which is guaranteed).
This. Some characters CAN talk in text boxes, but apparently not outside them, namely Zelda, Ganondorf, Dedede, Bowser (though he did talk once. Not pretty.), etc.
So in order to have more characters talk that wouldn't be strange, text boxes are the way to go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1: Going to say no. Too many characters. Now, if we could do factions, similar to how Sonic Adventure 2 did it(actually, very similar to how it was done in the SSE, but more direct)
2: With dialogue, yes.
3: Goes with #1.
4: Dialogue Boxes. Only.
5: But of course.
6: Nah, they're fine, just lower amount. I loved the Primids, really.
7: They already did. Just like fighting a regular character.

@GY: Indeed. Although I didn't mind Bowser's voice acting. Your Mileage May Vary, of course.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I never had a problem understanding the story without voices. One thing you mentioned is we don't know what the characters are doing this, but we don't need a huge back story to get the picture. Especially since the story is really just "Go beat up X." When you have 30+ characters and trying to get them to all have some spotlight, it's probably better to just get the point across and move on. Most of the time, they fight because they are good guys as is the case a lot of the time. I'll give you that some details will get missed, but it works for a game to just get a point across.

I had a really good reason a while back and I forgot it. Dang it.
I never said they had to have voice acting. Text boxes like Zelda would've been just fine. For me, "Go beat up X" does not suffice for me, not when Sakurai makes such a big deal about it and everyone hyping it as if it were the next Kingdom Hearts.

We had a story discussion a while back and I came up with something decent that could work without centralizing anyone like what happened with Kirby characters (surprise, surprise). Make it where the hunter from Duck Hunt is a dimension traveler with Duck Hunt Dog collecting trophies in a The Most Dangerous Game fashion. Unlike some of its influences like Battle Royale, make it where everyone works together to stop the hunter.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still on SSE?

I think it should stay silent for the most part, characters, however, should show a bit more personality not just random grunts. I want Mario saying "Here we go!" and "Momma mia!"

Characters like Sonic, Snake, and Pit, however, should get some speaking lines, of course, but none that are too over the top or conflict with the mostly silent cast. Although the former can also pull a classic Sonic as well.

The other problem with SSE is that it was obviously rushed. Sakurai explaining that much of the story on the dojo is rediculous, he even admitted that several important scenes were cut.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: If they go with simply expanding Melee's Adventure Mode, I would agree, but if we're getting another SSE, then I think some characters could do well with speaking lines.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let me just say for the record that I don't think Smash NEEDS a story mode. Melee's Adventure Mode was good.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just a few more ideas to help bring out the characters and story a bit more:

End of the Stage Victory Taunts - Ex. Sonic saying "Not Bad"
Death Quotes - Ex. Mario saying "Momma Mia," Pit saying "I'm done for," PT getting a text box saying "PT is out of useable Pokemon. PT blacked out." Fire Emblem characters saying (in text) their standard Death Quotes.
Opening Quotes - Ex. Mario saying "Here we go"
Maybe a few more NPCs - Ex. Who the heck was flying the Great Fox? Have Bandana Dee help Dedede trophy Luigi.

Also could have explained the boss characters a bit more. Like having Ganondorf giving out orders to Ridley. Rayquaza getting annoyed by the Star Fox team. Wario ordering around Petey while he sits back and relaxes.

Also explaining the whole story helps as well. I want to see the Halberd getting stolen. I do think though, that SSE2 will be much better prepared for this next game.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No voice acting. Period.
Voice acting is fine, as long as the English voice acting isn't crap again. Mario, Luigi, Wario, Samus, Meta Knight, Falco (lol New Yowrk; I prefer his Star Fox 64 voice, though), The Pokémon Trainer (it's the actual voice actor for Ash), Lucario (epic), Captain Falcon, Marth, and Snake all had great voice actors, though.

Get the actual voice actors of the characters. Peach (get her Melee voice or canon Mario voice actress back), Ike (his PoR/RD voice actor is good), Pit (his Uprising voice), Fox (preferably his Star Fox 64 voice actor), Wolf (Star fox 64 voice; he can't let you do that whoever you are!), etc. By the way, I'm not counting playable characters that don't talk.

Obviously Sonic would get his new voice actor, which is a major improvement. I actually think it's Sonic's best voice actor yet. *inserts a sad yet epic Urkel reference*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I really wanted Jaleel White to play Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations. That would've filled my heart with rainbows.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I thought your heart was already turned to rainbows when you found out someone else here wants Impa playable too. ;) :grin: :smirk:
Too many talkies, that's their problem.
Only Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toon Link, Samus, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Mewtwo, Lucario, the Pokémon Trainer, Captain Falcon, Marth, Roy, Ike, Pit, Snake, and Sonic have talked much out of all of the playable characters in smash thus far. And even then, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Toon Link are unlikely to talk much, if even at all. Also, so far in smash Marth and Roy only speak Japanese.
How much of Melee's adventure mode was actually platforming?
Not much. However, it showed a small window of the platform-styled feel of each franchise that could be built upon. More than anything, Melee's adventure mode shows potential for what could be an epic quest through all the franchises represented with characters in smash... and maybe a few more.

D

Deleted member

Voice acting is fine, as long as the English voice acting isn't crap again. Mario, Luigi, Wario, Samus, Meta Knight, Falco (lol New Yowrk; I prefer his Star Fox 64 voice, though), The Pokémon Trainer (it's the actual voice actor for Ash), Lucario (epic), Captain Falcon, Marth, and Snake all had great voice actors, though.

Get the actual voice actors of the characters. Peach (get her Melee voice or canon Mario voice actress back), Ike (his PoR/RD voice actor is good), Pit (his Uprising voice), Fox (preferably his Star Fox 64 voice actor), Wolf (Star fox 64 voice; he can't let you do that whoever you are!), etc. By the way, I'm not counting playable characters that don't talk.

Obviously Sonic would get his new voice actor, which is a major improvement. I actually think it's Sonic's best voice actor yet. *inserts a sad yet epic Urkel reference*
*twitch* *twitch*

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS?!?
Michele Knotz, the voice actress for Pokemon Trainer, NEVER voiced Ash! Ash's actress is Sarah Natochenny!

And Samantha Kelly, Peach's Brawl voice actor, has been voicing Peach since Mario Strikers Charged. She is the canon voice now.
Her Melee voice was her old actress, Jen Taylor.

EDIT: Don't know why you list Fox under "needs actual voice actor" either. His Brawl voice was Assault voice, Jim Walker.
And Wolf, while not having any of his actual actors, has a voice similar to his Assault voice.
The fact that they aren't 64 must throw you off, but you need to let go. It's been years. And I don't think they've returned for the remake.
EDIT2: Never mind, they did. However, from what I gathered, they didn't do as good a job like they did before.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Fox sounded like a D&D nerd in Brawl. It was awful. Fox's Japanese voice was epic. That sums up Brawl voice acting in a handbag. English voice acting mostly sucked, while Japanese voice acting kicked butt. Everyone was pissed when we couldn't use Japanese voice options in Brawl for English versions of the game because they were localization cuts.

Also, Nintendo got all of the voice actors from Star Fox 64 back to re-record the voice acting in Star Fox 64 3D. Why can't they do that for Smash Wii U/3DS=???
Michele Knotz, the voice actress for Pokemon Trainer, NEVER voiced Ash! Ash's actress is Sarah Natochenny!
Well it sounds like it. Ash's new anime voice actor sounds pretty generic.
And Samantha Kelly, Peach's Brawl voice actor, has been voicing Peach since Mario Strikers Charged. She is the canon voice now.
Her Melee voice was her old actress, Jen Taylor.
She makes Peach sound like she's a Japanese person from Japan... at least in Brawl. In Galaxy 1 and 2, she sounds fine. Still, I thought Peach's Melee voice actress was the best.
Also, did I miss anything? I just checked up on Pokemon, and them new formes are ridiculus...

http://serebii.net/black2white2/forms.shtml <- Wtf?
Hence why many people here refer to some of these Pokémon/Pokémon transformations as "Digimon."
It is Arkansas.
Does that mean you like to ride motorcycles with your mistresses=??? :smirk: Or are you not that Strong! :reverse:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
A guy from Neogaf posted this, he say's its from a 2002 issue of Famitsu.

From Cednym http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506
I can't remember if I posted this on NeoGAF, and it isn't really 100% on topic, but I made bullet points of the old 2002 Famitsu translations I found on my old computer pertaining to Melee. There's some good insight in here, I think. It's interesting that a lot of these concepts ended up making it into Brawl.

It was decided early on to separate the newcomers into two even groups for balance reasons: fan favorites (as determined by a survey) and unique, unexpected characters.

Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, and Marth were culled from the fan survey.

Zelda, Sheik, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch made up the other group.
Just in case Sakurai couldn't get approval to use Marth from Intelligent Systems, he had some King Dedede concepts ready as a backup.

Wario placed third in the poll, but with Bowser and Peach pencilled in, Sakurai didn't want to include 3 Mario newcomers.
Sakurai considered adding a character from Pokémon Gold/Silver during planning, but none of the popular options were feasible.

He thought about having a trainer summon the second generation starters, but there wasn't time/resources for such a labor-intensive character.
Pichu was promoted as the main Pokémon from those games, but it would have been too similar to Pikachu, so Sakurai passed on it.

Thinking back to Pichu is partly what made Sakurai want to include clones.

Clones were not included in Melee's planning documents.
Sakurai had a hard time deciding on all of the clones, though some choices came easy like Pichu and Young Link.

Sakurai says that he probably could have finished Dedede in the time it took to make the 6 clones, but he's glad he was able to beef the roster up a bit.
Wario was briefly considered as the Mario clone, with low speed and high attack power, but Sakurai felt that Wario deserved better.

Dr. Mario made sense for a few reasons: he's from a critically-acclaimed retro game, the team wanted to include his music, and because a doctor would probably be on hand at an event as violent as Smash Bros.

Wolf was considered as Fox's clone, but with shared animations Sakurai felt he would just be perceived as a gray-colored Fox, so he went with Falco for his drastically different appearance and excellent jumping capabilities.

Leaf was considered as Marth's clone, but when Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for approval they gave him an early look at the GBA Fire Emblem, and he agreed that Roy would be a better fit. Sakurai mentions his fire properties as making him stand out.

Ganondorf was the last character added to the game. He was only included because he was popular, had a similar body type to Captain Falcon, and because Sakurai couldn't really think of any additional plausible clones.
Pretty interesting, some of these things i've never known before. Anyone remember this stuff from Famitsu way back when to validate some of it?

D

Deleted member

*spits out random drink out of nowhere*

WARIO WAS CONSIDERED AS A MARIO CLONE?!?

Well, it kind of makes sense, he tosses fireballs in his debut appearance, but still. WHAT?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No wonder Sakurai did not want to say who or which characters originally planned for Brawl were cut [post-Brawl IGN interview]; look at how many of his ideas from Melee ended up resurfacing in Brawl. Pretty sure whomever he had in mind back in Brawl are going to be first in line now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, he is a clone of him in some games.(Mario Parties) He's also rather similar via Super Mario Land.

But on a serious note, thank goodness he decided against it.

^ Which also means, perhaps we can get some of the Forbidden 7(the new characters), well, besides obviously Dixie, into SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Does that make the Forbidden 7 much more feasable?
Or will there be some things not done, like Toon Sheik?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
"Waits for Chrono to see Leaf and freak out in someway"

Some of that stuff holds up, such as Dr. Mario and the music, and Sakurai thinking about the PT concept.

That Wolf and Dedede stuff, kinda goes back to that other post from a while back. I'll have to dig it up in the info thread if anyone wants.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've never seen that before, and it does not include a link. Besides, I'm sure someone has a copy of such an Famitsu from 2002 that we would have read before. I'm calling "fake."
I saw the giraffe before, but not the other thing. Can't unsee it.
I thought it was a plant and not a woman. Now all I see are women! :urg:
oh god, why? Cannot unsee!!
Welcome to the internet! :awesome:
And don't forget Dino Crisis and Breath of Fire. They never had a sequel since their last games because they sucked so hard.
Never heard of that before. I doubt I will hear of it again! :cool:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Does that make the Forbidden 7 much more feasable?
Or will there be some things not done, like Toon Sheik?
I don't think it really pertains to the Forbidden 7 per se as I believe, at least the impression I have gotten from Sakurai, is that there were quite a few characters not implemented apart from those.

D

Deleted member

"Waits for Chrono to see Leaf and freak out in someway"

Some of that stuff holds up, such as Dr. Mario and the music, and Sakurai thinking about the PT concept.

That Wolf and Dedede stuff, kinda goes back to that other post from a while back. I'll have to dig it up in the info thread if anyone wants.

Here you go.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, I don't remember Wario getting too many votes on the Melee poll. He was overshadowed by Peach and Bowser, whom got a ridiculous amount of votes.
I could care less about the story for a Smash Bros game.
Story: Sonic and Mario. Teaming. Together. Admit it; all of you who were Sonic and Mario fans in the 90's torn by being torn between two lovers just had a fangasm.
You'd be surprised who cares. ;)
Well, other than you. :p
Like noted, it only counts on a technicality. I barely count it.
Agreed... I guess. :bee:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Here you go.
That's an odd way to save things. lol

Still IF true, if Sakurai goes back to old ideas to this extent, I think this helps Dixie's case a lot. I am interested to see how he'll handle cut characters though (probably the same, but I would like to hear some sort of comforting Sakurai quote).

EDIT: Ah well, true or not, might as well add this to info thread.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
While I agree with your point Triple Dash, this all just seems like a rumor that just hangs around without any proof. I want proof of this, not accepting something as the truth without any feasible evidence. Plus c'mon-we're getting it from NeoGAF. There is all kinds of people there who'll make up anything for no reason!!! :rotfl:

Seriously one of us needs to google every issue of Famitsu from 2002! It gets referenced too much for it's own good... unless it really is true! :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@johnknight1: Isn't the fact you're fighting to make a better story means you care about it? ;)

As for Dixie, it's the one I expect the most(that hasn't been confirmed). The others are all very good choices, IMO.

D

Deleted member

While I agree with your point Triple Dash, this all just seems like a rumor that just hangs around without any proof. I want proof of this, not chit chat chatter.

Seriously one of us needs to google every issue of Famitsu from 2002! It gets referenced too much for it's own good... unless it really is true! :laugh:
If we need proof for this, we need the Famitsu that states that Dixie was originally a tag-team for Diddy but couldn't work, as well as the Famitsu that says Animal Crosser was planned.
Otherwise, those two are just "rumors that just hang around without proof", and no, word of mouth from anyone here doesn't count.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I've never seen that before, and it does not include a link. Besides, I'm sure someone has a copy of such an Famitsu from 2002 that we would have read before. I'm calling "fake."
All anyone ever does on these boards is site Sakurai's words with almost no back up. Usually we don't argue because half the time we know what interviews were being discussed.

But this was 10 years ago, 10 years! Back then the majority of us probably weren't even worried about possible roster exclusions to the same extent that we are today. Not to mention this was the japanese Famitsu only and apparently has never been officially translated in another magazine. I don't see why this is so hard to believe, nothing appears to be over the top.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yay for off the wall E3 rumors:

I've posted a lot of rumors over the years. Some of them are outrageous while others are definitely plausible. Every once in awhile there's a rumor that I can't decide on posting or not. This is one of those rumors...and I figure I'll give it a post. Wait until you hear this one.

- a marketing agency in Sacramento, California teamed with Nintendo for an E3 video
- the video features rapper Eminem
- post production work on the video will be going on this week
- video includes footage of a Nintendo-published Wii U title called "Acid Ghost", which is aimed at older gamers
- Eminem will play the game in this video

Yeah, I told you it was a crazy one. Now who wants to take a bet that this is the real deal!? Thanks to our anonymous source for the heads up.
This is so crazy I want it to be real, just for kicks and giggles.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If we need proof for this, we need the Famitsu that states that Dixie was originally a tag-team for Diddy but couldn't work, as well as the Famitsu that says Animal Crosser was planned.
Otherwise, those two are just "rumors that just hang around without proof", and no, word of mouth from anyone here doesn't count.
See, I've actually been linked the sources, and they are legitimate.

The Animal Crosser one gets shown every once in a while (with pictures), and I think it was even in the Iwata Asks Brawl article.

I could go dig it up on the Back Room info thread.
@johnknight1: Isn't the fact you're fighting to make a better story means you care about it? ;)
Yes. However, I want the story in Brawl destroyed, and I just want it to be all about the playable characters and universes they are from, as well as many a few other universes from series without playable characters. Maybe have a "smash world" at the end of the story like in previous classic/adventure modes.
As for Dixie, it's the one I expect the most(that hasn't been confirmed). The others are all very good choices, IMO.
Yep. Dixie is a great choice. Without Diddy Kong overshadowing her (well, K. Rool kinda is), she will definitely get a few good looks from the smash bros developers. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom