• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The only "pictures" (which was the one I posted), and the Iwata Asks thing state that characters like them wouldn't be playable if it wasn't plausible for them to fight.

Nowhere did it mention anything about one being considered.

And how does being from NeoGAF make any difference? Did you forget that spoilers from Kid Icarus Uprising came from there?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While I agree with your point Triple Dash, this all just seems like a rumor that just hangs around without any proof. I want proof of this, not accepting something as the truth without any feasible evidence. Plus c'mon-we're getting it from NeoGAF. There is all kinds of people there who'll make up anything for no reason!!! :rotfl:

Seriously one of us needs to google every issue of Famitsu from 2002! It gets referenced too much for it's own good... unless it really is true! :laugh:
Some of this stuff does hold to some extent though.

Marth got Leaf colors.
Sakurai has mentioned liked the music from Dr. Mario
Mentioned that he liked the idea of Charizard playable (goes well with the results of the Melee poll that had Ash, Squirtle and Bulbasaur)
The clones to buff up the roster.
Ganon's body type.
Roy getting in.
Wolf and Dedede also fit in with that other rumor.

I'm still very scepticle of this though, so I would like to hear from a few more people who know this stuff even better than I do.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yay for off the wall E3 rumors:
I've posted a lot of rumors over the years. Some of them are outrageous while others are definitely plausible. Every once in awhile there's a rumor that I can't decide on posting or not. This is one of those rumors...and I figure I'll give it a post. Wait until you hear this one.

- a marketing agency in Sacramento, California teamed with Nintendo for an E3 video
- the video features rapper Eminem
- post production work on the video will be going on this week
- video includes footage of a Nintendo-published Wii U title called "Acid Ghost", which is aimed at older gamers
- Eminem will play the game in this video
Yeah, I told you it was a crazy one. Now who wants to take a bet that this is the real deal!? Thanks to our anonymous source for the heads up.
This is so crazy I want it to be real, just for kicks and giggles.
If Eminem does this at E3 2012, I will crap my pants, eat the squirrel my cat killed this weekend (RAW!), and become a professional rapper (not raper).

And there's a lot of good, young, raw smashers up in Sacramento with a great Melee and Brawl scene. Some good kids, too. Sacramento is also a nice city, covered with trees.

Still, there's not many video editors up in Sacramento. At least not as many as in the Bay Area and Silicon Valley. As a Northern Californian, I know that San Jose, San Francisco, and even Oakland and small towns like Plesanton have more video editing jobs than Sacramento. There's all kinds of those jobs here in the Bay Area! :laugh:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
First time I've heard of this, and that is saying something considering I've been a part of the Super Smash Bros circle since 2003.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The mention of Forbidden Seven makes me think of Plusle and Minun and how they could function if they were in (assuming that the data is really them, I mean, it seems likely, but I hesitate to commit 100% with it for some reason). Something I might throw together with some free time tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

Although, if he did go with the original Trainer idea, it would've been the G/S Trainer with the Johto starters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Nintendo really wanted a cheap video editing team, there's all kinds of such places in LA, where E3 is located this year (and most years).

I mean, Hollywood is there (even if weird Scientologists run around in their in their creepy vans). That's where the bulk of the new video editors for such LA events come from.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except the Story in Brawl made perfect sense due to the official Smash story. Master Hand being the one controlling them like toys. And no, I would never accept their "official canon story" being thrown into a non-canon game. The stories just don't fit well together. Not with the amount of serious grimdark and how light and fluffy others are. They had to create a story that mixed them up well. Which they did a pretty good job of overall. Albeit, some characters needed more, but that's it.

And yes, I want every part of the Forbidden 7 playable. Good or Bad.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh! The forbidden 7. Yeah, I wonder if (assuming it is the actual 7 we think of) they might get in next time. Perhaps Sakurai will want them in seeing as he couldn't get them in to brawl. If that's the case, it brings some otherwise potentially non-choices in to the fray, such as plusle and minun and a couple others. The only problem being that a couple of them would now be a bit outdated, but hey, that hasn't stopped Nintendo before *looks at pit* :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Could this have been a possibility in the past?
(Or even be one now?)

God, I would love it, since Feraligatr is one of my favs (and my original starter), and I have the most experience with Johto, as that's when I started Pokemon.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Hyper
Just give me the basic story from the previous games, & I'm good. After that, make it all new & all revolving around these characters' worlds, stories, & battles all the time! :shades:
But this was 10 years ago, 10 years! Back then the majority of us probably weren't even worried about possible roster exclusions to the same extent that we are today. Not to mention this was the japanese Famitsu only and apparently has never been officially translated in another magazine. I don't see why this is so hard to believe, nothing appears to be over the top.
Yes, but we have quite a number of posters on here from Japan. They would have said something. Plus, most of us Melee and Brawl players know a lot of what Sakurai said back then. After both games' release, he said a lot of things, and none of this had leaked beneath the cracks before. Why would it suddenly happen now=???

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Possible, but if he gets in wouldn't he push Kanto trainer out of business? The problem with that being that we all know how darn popular Charizard is...

@Golden: Ahhh, but charizard is my favourite pokemon. :p Feraligatr is pretty cool, but the dragon (WE ALL KNOW HE IS!!! D: ) tops him for me.

D

Deleted member

Possible, but if he gets in wouldn't he push Kanto trainer out of business? The problem with that being that we all know how darn popular Charizard is...
IMHO, Charizard can fly the coop if it means Feraligatr gets in.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We ain't getting any new Pokémon Trainer! :laugh:
There are some basic, but dramatic changes that could make it a lot of better.[COLLAPSE="Click here for Kuma's awesome seven points:"]1. Break up the storyline into perspectives. Like in BlazBlue, you see only that character's side of the story. Maybe even include branches so you can get joke/bad endings.
2. Every character's storyline focuses on character interaction with action in between to keep the pacing up.
3. Let the storylines merge at a certain point and you obtain more freedom on who your "team" is at this point.
4. Let the characters talk, for God's sake. That's one of the biggest killers of the SSE.
5. Keep the levels interesting. SSE's levels were absolutely boring. There were no real puzzles and it wasn't really branching as it was ultimately about getting from point A to point B.
6. NO CRAPTASTIC ORIGINAL ENEMIES!
7. Put some freaking strategy into the bosses.[/COLLAPSE]
This, this, THIS! This is the truth, ain't it=???

While I disliked BlazBlue's story, I like how it presented each character uniquely. This doesn't need to be done with different results, but you should be able to control different characters at different points. Brawl did this, but once someone was grouped with someone else, they were grouped together for the rest of the game. Characters need to freelance a bit more than that. For instance, Lucas/Pokémon Trainer is boring after a while. Mix 'em up. Make it like Toon Link/Lucas and Pokémon Trainer/Jigglypuff at one point or another. That and have such groups mix up with other groups for super groups once in a while. And at the end, give us EVERYONE in a SUPER BATTLE! :shades:

However, I do like the multiple endings part. It doesn't need a trillion endings, just a few. I also agree that the characters need to talk... at least the ones that talk. I want to hear Snake make funny comments about (for example) something like traveling through a Hyrule dungeon with Ness! :laugh:

The boss ideas make sense, too. Just take a few nods from Mario, DK, Zelda (II), Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, Sonic and other such 2D side scrolling games in said series.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
IMO it's the Forbidden 6. Although with all the hacking, you'd think the hacking community would have found the random character file by now and be able to prove it.

If it was Plusle and Minum, they would have separate data from each other, just like PT, Zelda/Shiek, Samus/Zamus, and even Dixie.

@2nd Gen Trainer: Pretty sure it was the concept of a trainer, not the generation. We have Red and Charizard now, Gold and 2nd gen starters, let alone any other trainer or starter can't even come close to them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Fox sounded like a D&D nerd in Brawl. It was awful. Fox's Japanese voice was epic. That sums up Brawl voice acting in a handbag. English voice acting mostly sucked, while Japanese voice acting kicked butt. Everyone was pissed when we couldn't use Japanese voice options in Brawl for English versions of the game because they were localization cuts.

Also, Nintendo got all of the voice actors from Star Fox 64 back to re-record the voice acting in Star Fox 64 3D. Why can't they do that for Smash Wii U/3DS=???

Well it sounds like it. Ash's new anime voice actor sounds pretty generic.
Fox sounded just fine to me. I don't know what a D&D nerd sounds to you, but he sounded like a normal person in Brawl. And the only actors from 64 that returned for the remake were Fox and Slippy's.

Does that make the Forbidden 7 much more feasable?
Or will there be some things not done, like Toon Sheik?
I hope not. I don't want Toon Sheik to show up. I'd much prefer Tetra. The day we get to "original" characters is when something is wrong.

That being said, I think it makes a good chunk of the seven viable. Mewtwo and Roy are practically givens. I could see Dr. Mario work if they pull a Devil Jin (revamp Mario and give his old moveset to Dr. Mario). I don't think we'll see Pra_Mai make the light of day at this point. Dixie could return as a redone Diddy-Dixie group (especially if we get **** like stance cancels) or as a standalone character ala Milia Rage. Toon Zelda I think is another viable option. I think it really depends on what they'll do with Zelda though.

That guy in your avvy looks badass, Holder.

Where's he from?

Smooth Criminal
Hades in Kid Icarus Uprising.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
D&D nerds sound like that creepy guys at my school's cafeteria who yell over D&D and Magic: The Gathering. They sound exactly like Fox in Brawl, which is really lame. :ohwell:

Also, the fact Fox's voice actor returns proves that Fox's voice actor is still up in the air, and the change back is still possible.

Here is a link to a translation of the Melee Dojo.

Note: Mars = Marth. Metanaito = Meta Knight. Not sure who Gui is.

D

Deleted member

"He thought about having a trainer summon the second generation starters, but there wasn't time/resources for such a labor-intensive character."

Reading helps, man.

EDIT: Do you really want the change back, John? I think your nostalgia goggles are on too tight, as he sounds nowhere near as good as he did before. In fact, he sounds worse than what you make out his Brawl voice to be.
And Gui is Gooey.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Watch; Newcomer: Pokemon Trainer 2. :troll:
I swear if charizard gets pushed out for a new poke trainer I will murder someone. :3

But in all seriousness, I admit I liked the interactions between the characters, even if there was no speech, what annoyed me was there wasn't enough of it. I would have loved seeing Lucas and Ness doing heaps of stuff together, and yoshi doing cheeky stuff to link (like jumping on his head) and perhaps Mario getting a powerup and boasting about his power to Pit before his powerup runs out.

I dunno, stuff like that. I don't care as much if there is speech or not (although speech is hard to get right, and if they do it wrong even once it could scar my view of a lot of characters...) just as long as there's some nice interaction. Honestly, my favourite parts were the more funny ones or ones where characters interacted or worked together. For instance, Diddy Kong's antics with the star-furries, and peach's reaction to fox and sheik fighting. Even Lucas and the pokemon trainer bravely standing up to Galeom (or something like that) was enough to bring a smile to my face. I just wanted more of it rather than the longer, more repetetive level design.

And by the way, I'm pretty much a D&D nerd (well i know quite a lot about the game and am not afraid to discuss it) and I sound nothing like fox. In fact i'm often told my voice sounds very sophisticated and mature for my age. I actually quite liked fox's voice in brawl though hehehe. ;)

Then again.... I am australian.

D

Deleted member

I swear if charizard gets pushed out for a new poke trainer I will murder someone. :3

But in all seriousness, I admit I liked the interactions between the characters, even if there was no speech, what annoyed me was there wasn't enough on it. I would have loved seeing Lucas and Ness doing heaps of stuff together, and yoshi doing cheeky stuff to link (like jumping on his head) and perhaps Mario getting a powerup and boasting about his power to Pit before his powerup runs out.

I dunno, stuff like that. I don't care as much if there is speech or not (although speech is hard to get right, and if they do it wrong even once it could scar my view of a lot of characters...) just as long as there's some nice interaction. Honestly, my favourite parts were the more funny ones or ones where characters interacted or worked together. For instance, Diddy Kong's antics with the star-furries, and peach's reaction to fox and sheik fighting. Even Lucas and the pokemon trainer bravely standing up to... Ummm... whats-his-name... Anyway! Even those two standing up to him was enough to bring a smile to my face. I just wanted more of it rather than the longer, more repetetive level design.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You were talking about Galleom, not Wario. Heh.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Kuma
D&D nerds sound like that creepy guys at my school's cafeteria who yell over D&D and Magic: The Gathering. They sound exactly like Fox in Brawl, which is really lame. :ohwell:

Also, the fact Fox's voice actor returns proves that Fox's voice actor is still up in the air, and the change back is still possible.
In other words, D&D nerds sound just like everyone else. I suppose your interests aren't reflected in your voice. Well I'll be a kung fu panda's uncle. But I guess that's the line of thought you get when you're the jock type, ja?

Fox's 64 actor returning doesn't mean anything. It's a remake and his voice would not suit the post 64 Starfox games at all. Seriously, go watch a play through of Assault while imagining it. It would kill your ears. It's like hearing Guile with that Big Bird voice he has in ST or Sagat not sounding anything like a Scary Black Man.

Gui is Gooey.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Mewthree: Um, no. Plusle & Minun would've been treated like the Ice Climbers, except possibly without only one being KO'd. Er, I mean, no matter who gets KO'd, they both do. They're considered the same overall. They, if it was them, were listed as one file.

The other files were: Dixie Kong, Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik. There were exactly 7 listed characters.

We still don't know if Pra_Mai meant Plusle & Minun, even though it makes sense. Especially when they would've actually replaced Pichu. Much like how Toon Link replaced Young Link.

@Johnknight1: Why would they have a story from their basic games... when they're not actual from them? I think you keep forgetting that the Mario you play as is a TOY and not the real Mario. The trophy descriptions are referring to the original character, but the actual ones in the game are copies, if you will. The Super Mario Bros/World/Etc./Party/Kart/RPG's versions of Mario are not the same one in Smash. Applies for every character. That's why their personality doesn't always match up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Mewthree: Um, no. Plusle & Minun would've been treated like the Ice Climbers, except possibly without only one being KO'd. Er, I mean, no matter who gets KO'd, they both do. They're considered the same overall. They, if it was them, were listed as one file.
Actually the Ice Climbers had their own separate files as well. One for Nana and one for Popo.

Still you are right, we'll never know. I'm just stating my own opinion on the matter.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
Regardless, I want Fox's Star Fox 64 voice actor back. He just... "fits." Better than any of Fox's other voice actors... especially his Melee voice actor! :laugh:

Although to be fair, Fox's Melee voice was pretty awesome, even if it didn't fit Fox as a character. :cool:

@ Triple Dash
That is why people who try to mod Brawl have issues with the Ice Climbers. They both are separate, and if you change Nana's files around, you get all kinds of crazy reactions. :ohwell:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Assuming that set of information is true, it shows that Sakurai put a lot of thought into the Melee clones. Leaf being considered was nice. Its too bad Krom exists, else Leaf would really have a chance of being the fourth Fire Emblem character (if FE were to get four playable characters in Smash 4).

I have long suspected that King Dedede would have been the non-clone we would have gotten. I also concur with Sakurai's reasoning for why he placed in Dr. Mario, and why he decided to not place in Wario as Mario's clone.

The fact that Sakurai thought Roy and Falco stood out more than Leaf and Wolf shows that aesthetic appearances do play a role in determining a place on the roster is also intriguing. I think that spells bad news for Zoroark and Krom (who bear a strong resemblance to Lucario and Ike).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly, I think that Diddy Kong was probably the character in question that may have gotten in over the 6 late-ish add-on Melee clones.

Also, I'm pretty sure either Dr. Mario or Roy were added last, not Ganondorf. At least Ganondorf has an original-ish attack in his forward air.

These are unprovable theories... at least unless Sakurai proves them wrong. :cool:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
A guy from Neogaf posted this, he say's its from a 2002 issue of Famitsu.

From Cednym http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506

Pretty interesting, some of these things i've never known before. Anyone remember this stuff from Famitsu way back when to validate some of it?
Interesting. I thought Dedede was planned for Melee seeing as the original plan was for just 20 characters.

It would be great if we could confirm this.

"Waits for Chrono to see Leaf and freak out in someway"

Some of that stuff holds up, such as Dr. Mario and the music, and Sakurai thinking about the PT concept.

That Wolf and Dedede stuff, kinda goes back to that other post from a while back. I'll have to dig it up in the info thread if anyone wants.
Go ahead. I'm surprised you kept all of that.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The fact that Sakurai thought Roy and Falco stood out more than Leaf and Wolf shows that aesthetic appearances do play a role in determining a place on the roster is also intriguing. I think that spells bad news for Zoroark and Krom (who bear a strong resemblance to Lucario and Ike).
I wouldn't read too much into it, but it is indeed food for thought. I think it only applies for certain situations. If I had to make clones, I'd like to make them similar looking just in terms of clothes. Hair, fur, skin colors being similar would make it look more like a hack job. If Wolf would've ended up like a head/pallete swap of Fox, I'd go with Falco in a heart beat.

Come to think of it, wouldn't this actually help a lot of the girls people have been asking for? Put together such Palutena, Medusa, Krystal, Kumatora, Dixie, Lyn, Mona, Capt. Syrup, and Sheeda, they don't look anything alike save for inherent series similarities (i.e. art style/fashion).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Go ahead. I'm surprised you kept all of that.
I'm guessing that you haven't seen what I posted in the Disscussion Group's version of the info thread. ;)

Here. It's another rumor, so I haven't put it in the discussion group yet, but it does match up with this one to some extent.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm guessing that you haven't seen what I posted in the Disscussion Group's version of the info thread. ;)

Here. It's another rumor, so I haven't put it in the discussion group yet, but it does match up with this one to some extent.
I saw it. I saw ALL of it. Which is why I've missed a few things.

And yeah, I did see the Wolf thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually the Ice Climbers had their own separate files as well. One for Nana and one for Popo.

Still you are right, we'll never know. I'm just stating my own opinion on the matter.
I know. I was referring to the gameplay aspect.

However, Plusle & Minun, if well, existed, were solely one file. I do not know if maybe he meant another character, or if they played in a similar conjunction to the Ice Climbers, or more or less kind of like Pokemon Trainer, where you "switch spots". I believe that was Sakurai's plan with Dixie + Diddy, and since it didn't work, he forego the plan on Plusle & Minun and made Lucario instead.(let's be honest, a smarter choice at the time)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well Wolf was added later Chrono, so I don't think having similar body types is that big of a deal.

Plus to be fair, Mewtwo and Lucario have similar body types. Actually, so do Mario, Luigi, and Wario! :shades:

Still, I think King Dedede was cut a little earlier in Melee's development. I don't think he would be cut for clones. Diddy Kong, on the other hand, with the huge legal question mark on his head due to the whole Rare situation, would be a character most people in that situation would be willing to "replace" on the roster with a few clones.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I saw it. I saw ALL of it. Which is why I've missed a few things.

And yeah, I did see the Wolf thing.
I'm gotta work on updating it sometime as well. I haven't posted everything yet, not to mention I want to add some good posts from the old SSB4 thread (for Shortie).

It's going to be fun when we can finally show off our finds come the announcement for SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Please, Wario has quite a different body type, due to his stout frame.
Luigi is just a slightly taller Mario.

EDIT: But remember that Dedede was planned for 64. (And before you go "but there is no source", remember that one comes directly from the pre-Melee poll, which you yourself posted)
Why would he deliberately not even try to include a character planned for a previous game (a character he made anyway) while trying to get one with supposed legal issues?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well Wolf was added later Chrono, so I don't think having similar body types is that big of a deal.

Plus to be fair, Mewtwo and Lucario have similar body types. Actually, so do Mario, Luigi, and Wario! :shades:

Still, I think King Dedede was cut a little earlier in Melee's development. I don't think he would be cut for clones. Diddy Kong, on the other hand, with the huge legal question mark on his head due to the whole Rare situation, would be a character most people in that situation would be willing to "replace" on the roster with a few clones.
Quite a lot of people have similar body types. That's why the 4 figures you verse in the cruel brawls and the endless brawlsd and so on can either be said to be 4 characters, or all of them, seeing as most of them fits at least one of those body-types.

Which reminds me... You'd think brawl would have more, but it makes me laugh that smash 64 uses more basic structures that you fight than in brawl(12-4) :p

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
"Design" was probably a better word that "body type" in regard to Wario. My mistake.

If I were really comparing body types, we'd talk about how similar Luigi and Peach are body-wise.

Also, we're gonna be many of the leaders of the post-E3 Smash Wii U and 3DS discussion my fellow smash brothers!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
"Design" was probably a better word that "body type" in regard to Wario. My mistake.

If I were really comparing body types, we'd talk about how similar Luigi and Peach are body-wise.

Also, we're gonna be many of the leaders of the post-E3 Smash Wii U and 3DS discussion my fellow smash brothers!
Awww, I feel honoured! :-D

Being a leader and source of advice appeals to me :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom