• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Nah, I'm glad they did. I was tired of the back and forth in the old SSb4 thread of people saying that there wasn't going to be a next game.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think the initial thrill of speculation will wear off rather soon, and things will probably slow down a good deal until next year.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Star, your Kirby is coming along very nicely. Have you thought of some yummy Slime alternate colors? I'm thinkin' metal, she-slime, and one with a crown would be cool. I haven't played DQ for a while. I should really finish Sentinals.

Linky and I'll give you a legitimate post about it.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13157167&postcount=71

It's starting to look good.

My advice is that you study how Kirby is shaded in official art. There's a good bit of ambient lighting happening, and the color temperature does change a bit as you go towards the darker parts of the shadow.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the shape of the shading itself. It makes kirby look slightly flat, as the shadow's form doesn't properly wrap around Kirby's head in an elliptical fashion. It looks rather like the edge of the shadow is the shape of an eye, when it should be the shape of an oval.
The shadows are being run by filters right now. I see what you are saying though, that is something I'll work on. I'm trying to get a better grasp on shading and lighting so I'm still trying to work out some of the kinks.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I'm not sure about that, the SSB4 thread had a fairly high constant activity, and this was before anything was revealed.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I'm not sure about that, the SSB4 thread had a fairly high constant activity, and this was before anything was revealed.
This site as a whole has high constant activity. =p

Or are you saying the old SSB4 thread moved as fast as this one does? I go to sleep, and when I wake up, there are like, 14 new pages. XP

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
well let me bring up this topic, do you think it would be a good idea to distrubute 3rd party characters as dlc this way ppl who want them can have them and the one's that want it to be a pure nintendo experience can have it 2.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
well let me bring up this topic, do you think it would be a good idea to distrubute 3rd party characters as dlc this way ppl who want them can have them and the one's that want it to be a pure nintendo experience can have it 2.
What about online play?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This site as a whole has high constant activity. =p

Or are you saying the old SSB4 thread moved as fast as this one does? I go to sleep, and when I wake up, there are like, 14 new pages. XP
It didn't move nearly as fast as this one.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
It didn't move nearly as fast as this one.
Heh, that's what I figured. I dunno if it'll ever slow down to the point of being like the old thread, but I do think it'll slow down. People will grow sick of constant bickering over the same old characters, and people have to keep inventing things to discuss, given there's no real information to talk about.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dang if only I could remember how to use clip masks...

Yeah the old thread didn't move as fast as this one. You could go days and no one would post anything.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah it didn't go at this speed, but I think it was still the fastest moving thread on SWF at the time.

(Besides social threads)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah it didn't go at this speed, but I think it was still the fastest moving thread on SWF at the time.

(Besides social threads)
Well that'll happen when you dedicate a single thread to any and all hypothetical sequel discussion. XP

Kantrip

Kantplay
That would be bad. How about tournament play? Besides, it's not just having the character on your game and playing as them yourself, it's the fact that they exist and you are fighting against them that ruins the pure nintendo experience.

Which is stupid to begin with. Who needs it to be pure nintendo?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Filters atm. I know using clip masks will give me the ability to curve my shadows more, but for the life of me I cannot recall the way to do it in Fireworks? lol
Ah, so you're using Fireworks? Interesting... fireworks isn't really meant for artwork.

Just make system updates to give the players with out the dlc the code to recognize the character. They will not be able to use them but will be able to play against those characters.
That defeats the purpose. Masking the "problem" doesn't get rid of it. If you can still fight Sonic online, then what's the point of erasing him from your own system? All that does is make your game incomplete.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ah, so you're using Fireworks? Interesting... fireworks isn't really meant for artwork.
Yeah... I know it's primarily for websites and other web related things. But it works for now, and I'll make it work! Probably once I take my graphic design courses I'll be able to snag me a discounted copy of Photoshop. Heck, think I can even do that now?

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Just make system updates to give the players with out the dlc the code to recognize the character. They will not be able to use them but will be able to play against those characters.
Things I want in SSB4's online:
• Game updates/patches.
• Allow you to select regional/worldwide matches like Mario Kart Wii.
• Even though the Wii U single-handedly does this: better connection to other players overall. Sakurai most likely learned from his mistakes with Brawl's online.
• Allow sharing of stages, screenshots and replays better such as a Top 10 list.
• Allow the use of the Wii U's microphone and tablet to input messages. There can be an option for kiddies/parents who don't want to see this messages.
• When you select 'region'/'worldwide' you can then select the match type. Basic Brawl can just be 2-3 minutes like in Brawl. Taunt parties can be placed there. Stock match can allow up to 5 stocks, and depending on how many stocks you want the game will find other people wanting the same stock. So if the community rules the SBR sets (let's say 4 stocks), that means if you want to fight good people you can set the stock limit to 4. That way you'll find good people. You can also select Team Battle which can either be 2-3 minutes or use the stock system I specified. You can also input a tag that others can see and, like with the microphone, be toggled on/off.
• The Roster system in Brawl was good so they can keep that but probably change it up a little.
• Allow replays to be infinite in time. There was no point in having the limit at 3.

I know Sakurai wouldn't want this but I'd think it would be cool to have a level system. Depending on how many Wins/Losses you get they will be averaged. Whoever has the most is on the top.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Filters atm. I know using clip masks will give me the ability to curve my shadows more, but for the life of me I cannot recall the way to do it in Fireworks? lol
Yeah... I know it's primarily for websites and other web related things. But it works for now, and I'll make it work! Probably once I take my graphic design courses I'll be able to snag me a discounted copy of Photoshop. Heck, think I can even do that now?
If you're a student, yes. You don't even need to be taking any specific courses to qualify. Or you can try out GIMP, which I hear is pretty good.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Things I want in SSB4's online:
• Game updates/patches.
• Allow you to select regional/worldwide matches like Mario Kart Wii.
• Even though the Wii U single-handedly does this: better connection to other players overall. Sakurai most likely learned from his mistakes with Brawl's online.
• Allow sharing of stages, screenshots and replays better such as a Top 10 list.
• Allow the use of the Wii U's microphone and tablet to input messages. There can be an option for kiddies/parents who don't want to see these messages.
• When you select 'region'/'worldwide' you can then select the match type. Basic Brawl can just be 2-3 minutes like in Brawl. Taunt parties can be placed there. Stock match can allow up to 5 stocks, and depending on how many stocks you want the game will find other people wanting the same stock. So if the community rules the SBR sets (let's say 4 stocks), that means if you want to fight good people you can set the stock limit to 4. That way you'll find good people. You can also select Team Battle which can either be 2-3 minutes or use the stock system I specified. You can also input a tag that others can see and, like with the microphone, be toggled on/off.
• The Roster system in Brawl was good so they can keep that but probably change it up a little.
• Allow replays to be infinite in time. There was no point in having the limit at 3.

I know Sakurai wouldn't want this but I'd think it would be cool to have a level system. Depending on how many Wins/Losses you get they will be averaged. Whoever has the most is on the top.

Discounted copy? lol.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If you're a student, yes. You don't even need to be taking any specific courses to qualify. Or you can try out GIMP, which I hear is pretty good.
I've tried GIMP but for some reason the UI just feels too "loose" to me? I don't know how else to explain it? I may try utilizing it more than I have been.

Well I'm turning in for the night. I'll work on my little guy tomorrow. At least I found out how to use clip masks, so I was able to curve the hat's shadow. It's amazing how much one shadow can change.

Still stuff I need to work on, but I'll work on it tomorrow. Like getting Kirby to look round.

If you don't like GIMP's interface, you should try GIMPshop, which imitates the UI of Photoshop.
Huh? I'll have to look into that.

You two. Teach me how to use... the force.

The best I can do, artwork-wise, is use Paint.NET at its fullest.
Lol, well it takes practice. It sounds cliché but it is the truth. It also doesn't hurt having good tools to work with.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
You two. Teach me how to use... the force.

The best I can do, artwork-wise, is use Paint.NET at its fullest.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
If you don't like GIMP's interface, you should try GIMPshop, which imitates the UI of Photoshop.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, the stage is very simple, which I like. A good balance of simple, and gimmick stages is something Smash has seen in Melee, but really lost in Brawl. This level to me is a pretty good pick from the GSCHGSS eras. How much open air is there in this stage? I always envisioned lots of space on either sides of the screen.

How do you feel as this as an alternate scenario to the legendary birds? The battle begins on the backside of the tower, which looks exactly the same. The only difference is, in the background and the large spaces of air, we can see all of Mahogany Town. In the day, we see villagers and their Pokemon going about simple tasks, as well as seeing Silver, Lyra, Krystal, and Ethan challenging Morty at his gym. The occasional flash from inside his gym can be seen. As dusk settles, less and less people can be seen. We watch Rattata scamper across the village, and Hoothoot begin to fly about the stage. We also see Pokemon like Misdrevious and Ghastly float about the tower. Once it turns night, we can see the Kimono sisters and their Eveeolutions dancing at their studio. The city is lit up, and a crowd is watching their dance.

Does this sound okay? That's just what I envisioned. But, for the most part, I'm into simplicity when it comes to stages, so hazards tend to bother me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So the thread's back to normal? Thats good. Star will you be able to do a Chocobo hat as well? Oh, and i'll send you the new part of the moveset, you'll just need to add Slime Stretch and preferably a few pics and things to make it look nice and fancy(it's one of the reasons why berserker's worked so well).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How was it lost in Brawl? Too many stages? The gimmicks were bad? There was still a fairly good balance.
The amount of crap stages like 75m, the old Mario stage, New Pork, flat zone and to a lesser extent Rumble Falls bothered me. There were other levels like the F-Zero stage I just am not fond of, same with the Mario Kart and the Samus stage with the bug in the background. Just, it's personal preference. I like most of Melee's stages, the only ones that don't work for me are Flat Zone, and the Icicle Mountain level.

I just prefer the gimmicks that Pokefloats, Hyrule, Fourside and Big Blue brought.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, the stage is very simple, which I like. A good balance of simple, and gimmick stages is something Smash has seen in Melee, but really lost in Brawl. This level to me is a pretty good pick from the GSCHGSS eras. How much open air is there in this stage? I always envisioned lots of space on either sides of the screen.

How do you feel as this as an alternate scenario to the legendary birds? The battle begins on the backside of the tower, which looks exactly the same. The only difference is, in the background and the large spaces of air, we can see all of Mahogany Town. In the day, we see villagers and their Pokemon going about simple tasks, as well as seeing Silver, Lyra, Krystal, and Ethan challenging Morty at his gym. The occasional flash from inside his gym can be seen. As dusk settles, less and less people can be seen. We watch Rattata scamper across the village, and Hoothoot begin to fly about the stage. We also see Pokemon like Misdrevious and Ghastly float about the tower. Once it turns night, we can see the Kimono sisters and their Eveeolutions dancing at their studio. The city is lit up, and a crowd is watching their dance.

Does this sound okay? That's just what I envisioned. But, for the most part, I'm into simplicity when it comes to stages, so hazards tend to bother me.
There would be plenty of air. I know text doesn't convey that well, but there would be plenty of space.

Sounds fine too me. Although I can't see any reason why that cannot happen normally in the stage? Meanint to look out at Mahogany town?

How was it lost in Brawl? Too many stages? The gimmicks were bad? There was still a fairly good balance.
Because Brawl tried to make each stage "special" and ended up doing a bad job at it.

One thing I HATE about Brawl is how small the stages are in comparison to the model"s of the characters. Play Green Greens in Melee and then in Brawl, don't tell me you don't see what I'm talking about. This is something SSB4 needs to fix because it affects gameplay too.

So the thread's back to normal? Thats good. Star will you be able to do a Chocobo hat as well? Oh, and i'll send you the new part of the moveset, you'll just need to add Slime Stretch and preferably a few pics and things to make it look nice and fancy(it's one of the reasons why berserker's worked so well).
Will I'm having to rethink the Slime Stretch move as it doesn't go with him atop Chocobo. But I'm going to do some work for the alliance tomorrow. I'd planned on it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ah, okay. I've sent you the moveset, feel free to edit it, and of course, if you need time, take your time. I know i'm impatient so you'll just have to say something like "It's not finished" If i ask, ok? :p

And since i seem to be the music master today:

Pokemon Final Battle Red/blue/green/yellow

Yeah you'd already know it, it's just it's one of my all time favourite pokemon tunes.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Although I can't see any reason why that cannot happen normally in the stage? Meanint to look out at Mahogany town?
It would, I just thought we were looking at the tower from the front, in order to focus on the birds. But both the birds and town background would work fine with me. Levels need more fan service in my opinion, and the town would really do that for me. that's the aspect that I always look at levels through.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I asked this question earlier, but now that it's down to only a few people,

How do people feel about the DOJO? Should it come back? Do you think it will come back? Are you going to look at it? Will you spoil yourself and look at leaks/secret characters?

Personally, once spoilers start flying the few weeks before it's release, I'm out. No more this site, no more DOJO, nothing Smash related until I've been informed by SSB4 itself that I;ve collected every character. By then, I wonder if I'll even be in the mood to post on the SSB5 thread? :o I see almost all of the veterans now being gone.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
How do people feel about the DOJO? Should it come back? Do you think it will come back? Are you going to look at it? Will you spoil yourself and look at leaks/secret characters?
1. I like the Dojo.
2. Yes it should.
3. Yes because Sakurai has done it for both Melee and Brawl. The Wii U/3DS version will allow Sakurai to expand his creativity and people will hype over it more than Brawl.
4. Yes.
5. No but I know people will be dumbies and forget to use the spoiler tag.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
It would, I just thought we were looking at the tower from the front, in order to focus on the birds. But both the birds and town background would work fine with me. Levels need more fan service in my opinion, and the town would really do that for me. that's the aspect that I always look at levels through.
great idea of stages

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I asked this question earlier, but now that it's down to only a few people,

Personally, once spoilers start flying the few weeks before it's release, I'm out. No more this site, no more DOJO, nothing Smash related until I've been informed by SSB4 itself that I;ve collected every character. By then, I wonder if I'll even be in the mood to post on the SSB5 thread? :o I see almost all of the veterans now being gone.
I would rather see teasers than flat out reveals. It keeps the hype going without people going too crazy.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
we defiantly need the dojo back, ppl that don't want to be spoiled just don't need to look at the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom