• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
I dislike Sakurai for his obvious disregard for the competitive community, but I can't hate on him too much.

This IS the guy who gave us Smash in the first place. If he doesn't get deluded too much by the "fun for everyone" mentality, and he leaves stuff like balance up to an ACTUAL TEAM OF DEDICATED DEVELOPERS instead of trying to tackle it himself, then maybe, just maybe, we'll wind up with an okay competitive fighter.

Or, it will be so blatantly casual that all attempts to establish a competitive scene will be a total farce. Which I would honestly be okay with.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
We can note these intents from Sakurai:
- He wants to make the game fun
- He wants to have a lot of characters
- He wants each character to be different
- He wants to keep things "balanced" ... hard to tell under what conditions he's considering

He's not about to sacrifice the first two just to satisfy the final goal.
Well, by the looks of things, Sakurai would have pretty much ruined this for the comparative community, but i'm he had project Sora working on this right?

...and honestly, I don't mind casual play, but if Sakurai implements his ideas based on the first two, I think he might actually pull it out. This is of course saying if the character roster is low.

:phone:

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
YEAH MAN! HD GRAPHICS TO COVER UP THE ****TY GAMEPLAY!

I'm a competitive player, I couldn't give 2 ****s about HD or stupid *** items or stupid *** modes.

Gameplay is what it all boils down to.
Guessing you're the fanboy of this thread.. THEY CAN CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY ! ! ! ! ! And if it's such a big problem, turn off the items, not choose certain stages, and avoid the modes you don't like.. I can give you billion things I don't like about each Smash Bros but so can everyone else.. I'm a competitive player too and Brawl does have it's weakpoints, so does melee.. A new game on a superior system and listening to fans usually helps in the "FIXING WHAT WASN'T RIGHT WITH THE LAST INSTALLMENT" department

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Rutherford, New Jersey (Blowin' **** Up!)
Guessing you're the fanboy of this thread.. THEY CAN CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY ! ! ! ! ! And if it's such a big problem, turn off the items, not choose certain stages, and avoid the modes you don't like.. I can give you billion things I don't like about each Smash Bros but so can everyone else.. I'm a competitive player too and Brawl does have it's weakpoints, so does melee.. A new game on a superior system and listening to fans usually helps in the "FIXING WHAT WASN'T RIGHT WITH THE LAST INSTALLMENT" department
Thats what i'm afraid of.... although its to early to expect so much, we don't know how the actually game may come out

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Just don't tone it down to the point wear no ones has fun like brawl. :I

Seriously. Me and my friends always played brawl. They've never touched melee. BUT ONE DAY I BUSTED OUT MELEE. There melee virgin eyes were astounded by its quick pace. Man we never touched brawl again. People like fast paced games. Thats why MvC3 is so hype even if every characters broken in one way or another.

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Just don't tone it down to the point wear no ones has fun like brawl. :I

Seriously. Me and my friends always played brawl. They've never touched melee. BUT ONE DAY I BUSTED OUT MELEE. There melee virgin eyes were astounded by its quick pace. Man we never touched brawl again. People like fast paced games. Thats why MvC3 is so hype even if every characters broken in one way or another.
Thats assuming the new smash isn't NERFED like Brawl was

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Well he said hes using brawl as a base.

BUT
Heres what he didn't state!
Is it a base for what to add on to, or what to change? Maybe he's going to improve on brawl. After all he stated he feels like it wouldn't be write to just add more characters and stages. Maybe hes talking about changing a few game mechanics for the better?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Thats why MvC3 is so hype even if every characters broken in one way or another.
alot of people prefer mvc 2. mvc 3 is stupid with it's constant game changes (patches), character balance (screw phoenix), and severe lack of characters mvc 2 had over 50 characters this game has only 38

brawl is legit but im curious to see what could be added from there
edit:inb4 hitstun or make it like melee or project m (if i wanted to play that melee i would play melee. but im not a fan of melee anymore)

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people like Brawl. Don't assume that your isolated community of like-minded people are everyone or even a majority.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

BUT
Is it a base for what to add on to, or what to change? Maybe he's going to improve on brawl. After all he stated he feels like it wouldn't be write to just add more characters and stages. Maybe hes talking about changing a few game mechanics for the better?
From my understanding of the interview, it is a base for the mechanics. See when Brawl was developed they started from scratch mechanically. This time around, at least on the surface, it looks like they will add on to and tweak.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
So who wants to start an internet petition to ask Sakurai to speed it back up and reinstate hitstun

because those always work so well :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
alot of people prefer mvc 2. mvc 3 is stupid with it's constant game changes (patches), character balance (screw phoenix), and severe lack of characters mvc 2 had over 50 characters this game has only 38
And whoever picked the cast of characters from Marvel picked some obscure crappy ones such as taskmaster, she hulk, MODOK (Who isn't obscure, just ridiculous) and worst of all X-23: An original character from the fail that is X-Men evolution.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
From my understanding of the interview, it is a base for the mechanics. See when Brawl was developed they started from scratch mechanically. This time around, at least on the surface, it looks like they will add on to and tweak.
I've been hearing from many people that Brawl was based of off melee, not made from scratch.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
...what
MvC2 was freakin unbalanced beyond believe man! I'll totally vouch for you on not having enough characters, but MvC2 only had like 5 viable characters. The patches I like, because there constantly fixing there game so it doesn't end up like MvC2's balance. Just they need new/not modok-ish characters.

OH AND MUSIC! MvC2 totally had better music!

But yea, MvC series is maximum hype. Its just so quick paced!

Pickle

Smash Apprentice

BUT
well betters always good, all we can do as of right now is pray and hope Sakurai knows what he's doing

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm with etw. I don't care about the solo modes and all that stuff. The focus needs to on players vs players

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
GCN controller complaints.

People who complain about the lack of a GCN controller are like Sonic fans complaining about his eye color.

Play the game the way the designers make it or don't play it at all. Seriously, it's not that serious, learn to adapt and adjust.

Also Geno fans are "woodies" the puppet form of furries so the answer is no. No Geno.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I blame Sonic for the slow pace in Brawl. Think about how Sonic would have been in Melee if he was faster then Captain Falcon. He would be so fast that players would be running off the stage. With the slower pace made slow characters like Bowser, Link, and poor Ganondorf utterly useless. It's ashame that Ganondorf who is suppose to have god-like power is the worst character in Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People who complain about the lack of a GCN controller are like Sonic fans complaining about his eye color.

Play the game the way the designers make it or don't play it at all. Seriously, it's not that serious, learn to adapt and adjust.

Also Geno fans are "woodies" the puppet form of furries so the answer is no. No Geno.
Geno's wrath shall rain down upon you like the fires of a thousand white hot suns

I assure you, Geno fans are nothing like furries. Geno isn't some kind of sick fetish

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
And whoever picked the cast of characters from Marvel picked some obscure crappy ones such as taskmaster, she hulk, MODOK (Who isn't obscure, just ridiculous) and worst of all X-23: An original character from the fail that is X-Men evolution.
Not on topic, but She-Hulk is not obscure. She was a member of the Avengers and Fantastic Four. She is well known to Marvel Comics readers. She is definitely more well-known than MODOK.

Also, while I am not a fan of X-23, nor X-Men Evolution (a ridiculous show), she has become far more than just a character from that series. Also, several prominent comic book characters originate outside of comics. (Batgirl, Jimmy Olsen, Firestar)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

You never played Melee competitively, have you?

I blame Sonic for the slow pace in Brawl. Think about how Sonic would have been in Melee if he was faster then Captain Falcon. He would be so fast that players would be running off the stage. With the slower pace made slow characters like Bowser, Link, and poor Ganondorf utterly useless. It's ashame that Ganondorf who is suppose to have god-like power is the worst character in Brawl.
No. No. No.

No.

That doesn't make sense.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I certainly would not want to **** geno so that sorta breaks your logic. Besides by that logic all people that want a human character are "fleshys."

Furrys got lucario, fox, falco, and wolf.
I SUPPORT THE WOODIES
GIMME GENO!

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
With the slower pace made slow characters like Bowser, Link, and poor Ganondorf utterly useless. It's ashame that Ganondorf who is suppose to have god-like power is the worst character in Brawl.
>implying that slow characters aren't bad in pretty much every fighting game ever

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
The only slow characters that even stand a chance have reaaallly good grab game or hyper armor BS.

Sup sentinel.
Sup zangief.
Sup dedede.
MY BOIS!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Welp, this thread got filled with people who just doesn't know quickly enough.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Here is a new roster that I threw together. I think it's cool, mostly logical, and fairly representative of Nintendo. I think 50 characters is an appropriate number. Even though it is a lot, Sakurai has asked for a large team this time and a 15 character increase isn't asking TOO much. The characters are arranged with the character select screen in mind with five rows and ten columns, each franchise being kept to a column. Oh, and I have provided REASONING for everything! How bout that, huh?!

WARNING! GENO INCOMING! I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Super Mario Franchise
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Geno (Third Party Character) – Geno is a huge fan favorite that people have been asking for since melee. Although he was simply a supporting character of one game, Super Mario RPG was an iconic Super Nintendo game and Geno is essentially its mascot. In addition, Geno's moveset would be fairly easy to put together and it would certainly be more interesting than other reps from the Mario franchise that people are asking for, such as Bowser Jr and Toad.

Yoshi's Island Franchise – It's obvious that the Yoshi franchise doesn't need any new additions.
6. Yoshi

Wario Ware Franchise – Same goes for Wario Ware. Although there are a plethora of characters in the game, they simply aren't important enough.
7. Wario

Donkey Kong Franchise
8. Donkey Kong
9. Diddy Kong
10. K. Rool – King K. Rool is the main villain of the DKC franchise and any Donkey Kong fan will tell you that he deserves to be in Brawl, even though he got shafted in Donkey Kong Country Returns. He has four different incarnations that provide a large pool of possible abilities that would be immensely cool and unique.

Legend of Zelda Franchise – I feel like the Zelda Franchise is perfectly complete with these four characters. I would suggest Ganondorf and Toon Link to be decloned so they would practically be like new characters. The only other possibilities that are usually suggested are Tingle and Skull Kid, and that is really grasping at straws.
11. Link
12. Zelda/Sheik
13. Ganondorf
14. Toon Link

Golden Sun Franchise
15. Isaac – Isaac has been asked for for a long time now and to be honest, I was surprised he wasn't in Brawl. Although he would be another sword character, he is a magician which could add to his kit favorably. Not to mention he was an assist trophy showing that Sakurai acknowledges his popularity.

Pokemon Franchise
16. Pikachu
17. Pokemon Trainer
18. Jigglypuff
19. Lucario
20. Zoroark – Zoroark is essentially the mascot of generation 5 and his body type lends very well to a Smash game just like Lucario. I wouldn't replace Lucario because he is already established and Zoroark would have a new and unique moveset to leave room for both. I know many people want Mewtwo back, but generation 1 already has 3 reps, so I figure we might as well let generation 4 keep theirs.

Kirby Franchise – Like Zelda, these three perfectly represent the Kirby franchise.
21. Kirby
22. Meta Knight
23. King Dedede

Kid Icarus Franchise
24. Pit
25. Medusa – I know, I know... I didn't want to put her on here either. However, Sakurai IS Sakurai and as we saw in Brawl, he LOVES his own characters. With the release of Uprising, I think it is pretty obvious that Sakurai will add a character from this since he can't legitimately add another Kirby character. Medusa is the main antagonist and appears to be relatively unique so I actually wouldn't mind her inclusion.

Metroid Franchise
26. Samus/ZSS
27. Ridley – Ridley is a character who really should have been in Brawl. He is a hugely important figure in the Metroid franchise and a villain that not only looks amazing, but also offers qualities that many other bad guys do not. I think that Sakurai just wasn't well read enough into Metroid to know how important Ridley was. And I won't get into the size debate because 10 years of arguing have clearly shown that people who think Ridley is too big are wrong. Also, sorry Dark Samus fans, an evil recolor just doesn't do it for me.

F-Zero Franchise
28. Captain Falcon
29. Black Shadow – Black Shadow is yet another villain which Smash desperately needs. Although Samurai Goroh is a very, VERY close contender with an Assist Trophy and all, he would be yet another sword character and when one has the option to have Black Shadow instead, why not? Although people say he would just be a Captain Falcon/Ganondorf Clone, that isn't true at all. He has his own powers and abilities that would make him a completely unique character. I mean, come on, giant bull horns can be used in SO many ways.

Sin and Punishment Franchise
30. Saki – A favorite of Sakurai and of fans who have played Sin and Punishment. Sakurai already said he would fit perfectly in Smash and with such a unique look to him, I think he will make it in. His moveset could be very interesting factoring in everything from his source game.

Retro Franchises – I feel like we have enough retro representation if one doesn't count Little Mac as retro. If you do, then congratulations!
31. Ice Climbers
32. R.O.B.
33. Mr. Game & Watch

Punch Out Franchise
34. Little Mac – Little Mac has been requested for a very long time as well. He made it in Brawl as an assist trophy and although Smash is a brawler, we really have not had a pure boxer. His moveset would be relatively simple but really cool and he is such an iconic character from the old days of Nintendo, he deserves to be in.

Pikmin Franchise – Captain Olimar rounds off this franchise nicely.
35. Captain Olimar

Starfox Franchise
36. Fox
37. Falco
38. Wolf
39. Krystal – While I am not above the hate for Krystal that everyone shares, you have to admit, she really should have been in Brawl. She is a female character which Smash is lacking and most of all, she is a Starfox rep THAT WOULDN'T BE A GODDAMN CLONE. Give her a staff and dinosaur magic and bam, you have a cool and unique character.

Custom Robo Franchise
40. Ray MK III – Not many people played Custom Robo but it was a really fun game that offered a fresh take on fighting(?) games. Ray, being the mascot, is the obvious rep for the franchise and with all of the skills and moves available from his games, a very cool moveset would be possible.

Fire Emblem Franchise
41. Marth
42. Ike
43. Lyn – To be honest, I am not really comfortable in making a judgment call on the third Fire Emblem rep. However, I feel like Fire Emblem deserves a third rep and there are many characters that can fulfill that role. I am not an expert, but out of Lyn, Micaiah, and Hector, I chose Lyn mainly because she was an assist trophy in Brawl, she is a female which Smash needs, and with a katana, she could have a very different playstyle from Ike and Marth. As far as Hector goes, even though his axe is awesome, I think 2 blue haired armored guys is enough for one game. Micaiah seemed less interesting than Lyn, even though she is a light mage.

Earthbound Franchise – I think Ness and Lucas are enough for Earthbound. Although Claus would be a possible new rep, I just don't think the series merit's a third one.
44. Ness
45. Lucas

Animal Crossing Franchise
46. Tom Nook – Ok, you people say he can't fight, but let's be honest, Sakurai's team could easily make him Smash-worthy. Animal Crossing is one of the most popular Nintendo franchises right now and it deserves a rep, and Tom Nook is essentially the mascot as well as one of the most popular characters. He could be extremely unique and has the entire Animal Crossing franchise to use when making his moveset. I see no reason he couldn't fight. Even though Sakurai said the player in AC was too passive, fan reactions and new developments could easily change his mind.

Legendary Starfy Franchise
47. Starfy – I hadn't even considered Starfy until I saw another roster with him on it. After I did some research I realized that Starfy would be PERFECT for Smash. He adds cuteness, uniqueness, and charm to the roster and with his own series, he could easily have an awesome moveset. Haters gonna hate, but I think Starfy stands a chance.

Professor Layton Franchise
48. Professor Layton (Third Party Character) – I think we can agree that Professor Layton is currently the most popular character on a Nintendo system created in the past 10 years by a large margin. Anyone who has picked up one of his games will immediately become a fan of the professor. Although he isn't an action star, he is capable of fighting and due to the puzzle games he comes from, his playstyle could be very unique and interesting.

Sonic the Hedgehog Franchise – NO! You CAN'T have Tails, or Knuckles, or Shadow, or Silver, or Amy, or Rouge, or Big, or Charmy Bee, or the FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM Crocodile. NO.
49. Sonic (Third Party Character)

Metal Gear Franchise – Does anyone even WANT another rep?
50. Snake (Third Party Character)

So there you have it. I would have loved to include Andy from Advanced Wars, Samurai Goroh, Dixie Kong, and hell, that new armadillo cowboy from The Rolling Western looks awesome. However, there just wasn't enough room for EVERYONE. Hope you guys don't loathe it TOO much, especially YOU, Geno haters.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If we are going to have any Square Enix representation in Smash it is going to be either Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Given the fact Fortune City (Dragon Quest/Mario) is being released along side Nintendo's partnership with the DQ series I'd say it leans in that series favor more... http://youtu.be/z-3NWGUKfMo

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Awww man, really? were going back to this " DIS IS MY DREAM ROSTER" thing again? Thats what ruined the old SSB4 speculation thread. Please no. Instead lets focus on how we can make smash bros better, faster, quicker, funner not...brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Awww man, really? were going back to this " DIS IS MY DREAM ROSTER" thing again? Thats what ruined the old SSB4 speculation thread. Please no. Instead lets focus on how we can make smash bros better, faster, quicker, funner not...brawl.
Yes, I was thinking that exact same thing

Next we are going to have "Prophets" just watch

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I wouldn't exactly blame Sonic, if there's anyone to blame for slow, unresponsive it's our dear Sakurai, he was aiming for for casual play than anything therefore he considerably toned it for what he was aiming for, casual gamers.

Dang Psycho, Biggest Geno fan indeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom