• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
i would point out one thing regarding 50 characters and doubled stages... sakurai san just mentioned those as an example. he wasn't deciding on anything, just discussing ideas in its very rough form. seeing that even the crew for developing this game has yet to be assembled, lets not keep sakurai san's current discussions as conclusions to anything.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Let us enjoy our HYPE!
Look what the hype did to Brawl for a lot of us. It made me hate the roster and made me disappointed in the game as a whole. I've barely played the game at all since the first two months after I got it. Which is just flat out bad because SSBM kept me entertained for several years.

But I'll certainly do the hyping again, here. :p

(Just hoping that Isaac/Matthew get confirmed as playable right off the bat so I don't have to go through that again.)

D

Deleted member

@Pickle: Ironically enough, the song is kick-*** is a weird way. I want to break the total score so I'll listen to this until I have to eat dinner and then listen it again until I go to bed. Been listening to it for over three minutes. Someone beat that.

@AN(M)ist: It's true that we shouldn't assume 50 characters in the game, but he said that, so that's a clue on how the roster is going to look.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It was just an example of what he COULD do in terms of beefing it up without really adding anything new, and he doens't want to more of the same thing.

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Rutherford, New Jersey (Blowin' **** Up!)
Look what the hype did to Brawl for a lot of us. It made me hate the roster and made me disappointed in the game as a whole. I've barely played the game at all since the first two months after I got it. Which is just flat out bad because SSBM kept me entertained for several years.

But I'll certainly do the hyping again, here. :p

(Just hoping that Isaac/Matthew get confirmed as playable right off the bat so I don't have to go through that again.)
Let the hype endoulge youuuu~<3

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
@Pickle: Ironically enough, the song is kick-*** is a weird way. I want to break the total score so I'll listen to this until I have to eat dinner and then listen it again until I go to bed. Been listening to it for over three minutes. Someone beat that.

@AN(M)ist: It's true that we shouldn't assume 50 characters in the game, but he said that, so that's a clue on how the roster is going to look.
some people just let it run on mute till they get like.. a week, hehe

D

Deleted member

some people just let it run on mute till they get like.. a week, hehe
You know, this songs fits perfectly with your sign picture on the left.

That said, let's try to steer this thread back on track. So, would anyone be in favor of something like SSE?

I would like to see something like this as long as the presentation isn't sloppy like it was last time. If done well, I think we could see something really special coming.

UberMario

Smash Master
I would rather have the 1-P mode be dropped (except for Classic, home-run contest, break the targets, multi-man and missons, of course) for the good of the multiplayer aspect.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I would rather have the 1-P mode be dropped (except for Classic, home-run contest, break the targets, multi-man and missons, of course) for the good of the multiplayer aspect.
Yes, this. Adventure Mode in Melee was fine, but SSE was a bit overboard. I only played through it once.

I would rather Sakurai focus on the roster, stages, and all of that fun stuff. But it looks like he already said "that's not what this series needs". -_-

If there are 50 characters, and Isaac/Matthew is a part of it I won't have much to complain about, though.

You're double posting A LOT, Pickle.
Yeah, hate to be a mini-mod, but it's getting really bad.

D

Deleted member

cause ima nut
No offense and I understand this is a fast thread, but that doesn't mean you can't edit stuff onto your previous posts. There's no point in double posting, regardless of how fast the thread is. Also, don't post pointless stuff like the one I'm quoting.

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
No offense and I understand this is a fast thread, but that doesn't mean you can't edit stuff onto your previous posts. There's no point in double posting, regardless of how fast the thread is. Also, don't post pointless stuff like the one I'm quoting.
None takin, ima just take a break from the post and cool it, i got studying for final anyways

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I hear ya, I hear ya. I dunno, I might be a bit of a scrub or whatever the hell else you call it, but I kinda don't want to see Smash Brothers turn out to be like...well, BlazBlue or Guilty Gear. I love the simplicty of it and how even when you're losing, it doesn't really feel like losing. (Well, in Brawl anyways. One encounter with a Wavedashing Fox and I quit Melee pretty much until Brawl came out) Adding some additional options (super attacks/meters, changing smashes and what have you) is fine, but adding too many advanced options just...I dont' know, seems to take away from the silly and nostalgic fun that I had. But hey, I'm sure competitive people probably feel the same about Melee to Brawl, so it's all up to opinion.
Quite funny post, because I've always wanted a Smash game to be like Guilty Gear. Casuals can play however the heck they want just like a couple of my scrub friends who play GG and competitive players can play how they want. AT's won't bother the casuals unless you have a problem with losing to someone better than you. Then that's a big problem...for you.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I do think we need more vilions they seem to have only a few in the last ssb so i would like to see more villions..

I no bowser jr and toad have been in way more games than her but thats still not my point lol

My point is we need more femmale characters yeah it dont have to be her but hay she needs a start some where i dont no who the 2 femmales your talking about?

I just felt since she was on mario kart wii and has starred in galaxy 1 and 2 that she could be in ssb 4 they could put any femmale and i would be happy i only picked to suport her cose i no her and krystal they both would be graet picks:)

Id rather her be playable than a tropy whats the point in suporting her if there going to put her in as a tropy lol :D
We shouldn't throw a character in just because of their gender. She played a major role in only SMG. Here is Captain Syrup.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/99974344/Captain_Syrup_and_Wario_by_EnterPraiz.jpg

Antagonist of two Wario games and makes an appearance in Wario Shake it.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Captain_Syrup

GenG

Smash Lord
Quite funny post, because I've always wanted a Smash game to be like Guilty Gear. Casuals can play however the heck they want just like a couple of my scrub friends who play GG and competitive players can play how they want. AT's won't bother the casuals unless you have a problem with losing to someone better than you. Then that's a big problem...for you.
I think Sakurai tries too hard to make casuals and dedicated players play at the same level, when it's difficult for a casual player to play with a hardcore player and viceversa. Usually the people you play with are at a level similar to yours and all improve at a similar pace, so having advanced techniques do not harm the casual players since they are not interested on them in the first place, while it makes hardcore players play more intensely.

About the Adventure mode, I would like to see an improved one with *actual* Nintendo stages and not generic enemies in generic canyons, forests and sci-fi bunkers, but maybe with less emphasis on the story and the cutscenes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think Sakurai tries too hard to make casuals and dedicated players play at the same level, when it's difficult for a casual player to play with a hardcore player and viceversa. Usually the people you play with are at a level similar to yours and all improve at a similar pace, so having advanced techniques do not harm the casual players since they are not interested on them in the first place, while it makes hardcore players play more intensely.
I think Sakurai finally realized this.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=114587
- Iwata mentions that he likes how in Smash, both high level and beginner level players can feel a sense of accomplishment in comparison to other fighting games. If you don't know what you're doing in other fighting games, you'll typically get destroyed, in Smash you can earn a few more hits. Sakurai adds onto that saying "You'd think it'd be natural to help new players improve, but when the goal of a fighting game is to beat your opponent down, that becomes difficult." Iwata "feels helpless and weak when he loses badly," and lastly Sakurai adds that "the 3DS version will have ways to help beginner players," going on to suggest co-op "There will be a reward system for good players helping bad ones"
A tutorial and encouraging tutoring in game will help a LOT of new players.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Characters
SSB: 12
SSBM: 25-12= 13 additions
SSBB: 39-25= 14 additions
SSB4: 50-39= 11 additions

With this math, I would thiink there would be 15 additions would be in SSB4. At least we're getting something.

As for Rosalina being added,I really see her to be an assist trophy at best since she doesn't exactly have enough moveset potential.

What could be a good connection between the 3DS and Wii U in terms of smash?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Characters

With this math, I would thiink there would be 15 additions would be in SSB4. At least we're getting something.

As for Rosalina being added,I really see her to be an assist trophy at best since she doesn't exactly have enough moveset potential.

11-15 additional slots would be good enough.

AT is the perfect role for Rosalina since she is a character whose only really important in 1-2 games in a franchise that has dozens of games and already has plenty of representatives in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Characters

Technically, we have twenty-six characters in Melee if we could Zelda and Sheik as separate characters. I don't think Sakurai is going to count Zelda/Sheik and Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur as separate characters, they would be setting themselves up for making excuses, although to be fair, I would be fine with 11 good additions.

If no characters from Brawl are dropped (Which likely isn't the case), none from Melee comes back, and that if we have eleven characters new, that adds up to forty-six characters overall.

As for 3DS-Wii-U connectivity, I'm hoping for one regarding being able to transfer characters to the Wii-U version and 3DS versions.

UberMario

Smash Master
"lastly Sakurai adds that "the 3DS version will have ways to help beginner players," going on to suggest co-op "There will be a reward system for good players helping bad ones"

That actually sounds awesome. On a similar note, what if they made a strategic new addition: mercy offense upgrades? If you purposely do not edgeguard someone or use a smash/powerful attack on someone with shield stun in 1-vs-1 [jabs would be ok], you'd get a 5% bonus on all of your attacks for a limited time, letting players decide which would be the better way to take their opponents out.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@OmegaXVII: Why would you want Wart in the game? He doesn't make much sense to me.
I'm not surprised, although I don't know why you mentioned that he "doesn't make sense" please elaborate...

Why I support him is simply because he played an important role in one of the most important Mario games ever to be released, in case you don't know, he's the main antagonist, plus I believe he could offer alot to the table and represent some of the heavier characters as well.

I agree with Rosalina, more antagonist should be represented.

:phone:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Why I support him is simply because he played an important role in one of the most important Mario games ever to be released, in case you don't know, he's the main antagonist
:phone:
You're going to have to explain this.

Anyway, darn it guys... You're making me hyped for this when we most likely won't know a shred of information for an entire year. This is going to kill me. :(

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
I'm not surprised, although I don't know why you mentioned that he "doesn't make sense" please elaborate...

Why I support him is simply because he played an important role in one of the most important Mario games ever to be released, in case you don't know, he's the main antagonist, plus I believe he could offer alot to the table and represent some of the heavier characters as well.
By doesn't make sense, I mean that aside from Super Mario Bros. 2, which I will admit was pretty important, he makes no significant appearance in the Super Mario Bros. universe. There is no way we can really guess four special moves and a Final Smash based off what people played in the game, not to mention SMB2 was twenty three years ago.

Even so, "one of the most important Mario games" is a pretty vague term as any mainstream Mario games can be described as that.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I am a big but sceptical female character supporter, but not to up to date with games and relevancy. What do you guys think of the chances of these characters:

Krystal (Still relevant or was Brawl her only hope?)
Lyn (See Krystal)
Dixie Kong (No appearance in DKCR sealed her fate?)
Paula (Not relevant enough?)
Lip
Female PKMN Trainer
Midna (See Krystal and Lyn)

Any other female characters you think would have a shot? Thanks guys :)

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman

So the game's not supposed to be a new Melee or Brawl? So maybe the fanboys from both sides will finally act reasonably and quit bringing Melee vs. Brawl arguments into this thread? Eh, probably not. Also, Sakurai pretty much admitted that he's screwed up the balance in the past and is going to get help this time, so that gives me hopes.

Also, I think he's given us a hint as to the game's pacing, as he stated (not word by word) that Melee was too hard and Brawl was too easy. So it looks like something in between is what's likely.

Just my 2 cents.

GenG

Smash Lord

A tutorial and encouraging tutoring in game will help a LOT of new players.
Good read. Finally he realizes that after 10 years. There are too many "secret techniques" that are not referred anywhere in the game and that's why "casual" players do not improve so much. He explained many techniques in the DOJOs but not all the players have access to that.

I also liked the part about the broken characters (although the online scores do not mean anything if he's referring to "With Everyone"). He acknowledges the competitive scene, so as a game developer he has the responsibility to cater to those people too. Maybe he didn't before and that's why Brawl felt so limited compared to Melee. This could mean that he is willing to adapt his views on the series and the next game will be not so casual-oriented.

Oh, and the "I had nothing to do with Link and Sonic in Brawl"... that may explain why some characters like Captain Falcon, Samus or Ganondorf are so crappy in Brawl.

SixWingedAsura

Banned via Warnings
I want to see Ganondorf revamped if possible. I honestly think it's time to give him a far different moveset than just "Captain Falcon but slower and more powerful." Also, if they decide to bring back the level editor, I'd like for them to make it more indepth. I know they won't become as epic or detailed as the normal stages, but I'd like to be able to do things like place objects together, or flip them up and down as well as left and right. Maybe more mechanical and interactive objects as well.

And while I'm dreaming, I want a pony. :D

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I am a big but sceptical female character supporter, but not to up to date with games and relevancy. What do you guys think of the chances of these characters:

Krystal (Still relevant or was Brawl her only hope?)
Lyn (See Krystal)
Dixie Kong (No appearance in DKCR sealed her fate?)
Paula (Not relevant enough?)
Lip
Female PKMN Trainer
Midna (See Krystal and Lyn)

Any other female characters you think would have a shot? Thanks guys :)
Krystal has a shot.
Lyn not so sure.
Dixie probably not for the reason you listed.
Nope.
Lip can be a good WTF character. Also the franchise she came from has had a presence in Smash for a while so possible.
I can see that idea having a shot.
See Dixie

Captain Syrup has a shot since she appeared in the last Wario platformer game and also appeared in two other games beforehand.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
"lastly Sakurai adds that "the 3DS version will have ways to help beginner players," going on to suggest co-op "There will be a reward system for good players helping bad ones"

That actually sounds awesome. On a similar note, what if they made a strategic new addition: mercy offense upgrades? If you purposely do not edgeguard someone or use a smash/powerful attack on someone with shield stun in 1-vs-1 [jabs would be ok], you'd get a 5% bonus on all of your attacks for a limited time, letting players decide which would be the better way to take their opponents out.
I'm not fond of the mercy offense upgrade.

I think it would be really cool if you were to take the scoring system from Melee and 64 and use that as a way to reward players for making good strategic decisions and guesses. Your opponent gets predictable and you catch on with a counter? +10000 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom