• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ike vs Sonic is NOT 70:30 in Sonic's favor, stop underrating your character, you do it way to much it gets annoying.
You don't know what you're talking about. The match-up is horrifyingly awful. Ike can't approach Sonic and he can't get out of Sonic's pressure. That is ****. This means Sonic can camp Ike to death (Ike can't catch him or hit him if he just runs) or Sonic can just rush him down and wreck him (Ike can't get out of the pressure since his aerials are too slow).

Excuse me?
Sonic ***** Ike. You don't want my wins against you to count in low tiers since you'd prefer to use Diddy Kong against Ike. You know what? I'd prefer to fight your Diddy Kong with Ike too. Sonic already wins by a lot; you have no excuse to lose to me in low tiers if you do.

I'm really surprised you feel this way about the rankings list size. For somebody who likes to go on about how strong NJ is, I'm not sure you realize how weak the 11-15 ranks are, and how weak they make the list look as a whole.
Yup, Cable sucks.

NY (and possibly PA too) events should count towards the rankings. What with the drastic decrease in NJ events recently AND the shortening of the season, it would only make sense for NY (or tristate in general) tournaments to allow somebody to become eligible for the rankings.
I think an NJ tournament must be a requirement. You can't just only attend NY tournaments and be ranked in NJ.

I'm on the fence about the whole low tier dilemma. Eazy and Kai both have very strong points, and I cannot decide who to side with at all.
Sets are to be analyzed individually and given an appropriate weight by competent panelists. What is hard about that?

I'm also on the fence about 10 vs. 15, but I'm leaning towards 10. The only individual state with a top 15 besides us is Washington, as far as I know, and I can't say I've heard of anyone past 10th there. It kinda makes them look bad to have players like that listed. No matter how good our 11-15 are (and all of them certainly are good players), it just doesn't look right to have nearly 1/3 of our active scene put on a list like that. With the strength and activity of the state dropping, it seems perfectly reasonable to drop the amount of people on the rankings. Being one of the top 15 in New Jersey at its peak in Brawl was certainly an accomplishment, but now it's just not the same.
TX has a top 15. I'm strongly for keeping it at 15.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
there are good points here, maybe GW hould count somewhat like an MM because winner already knows what hes gonna win and your playing for that amount(unless you split). it shouldn't count for anything as big as a tournament win. Just like a 5$ money match win, since 1st gets 10 and 2nd gets 5 which is a 5$ difference.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
there are good points here, maybe GW hould count somewhat like an MM because winner already knows what hes gonna win and your playing for that amount(unless you split). it shouldn't count for anything as big as a tournament win. Just like a 5$ money match win, since 1st gets 10 and 2nd gets 5 which is a 5$ difference.
Winning tournamets counts for nothing, it's who you beat

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I Declare Gamingworld Grandfinal Sets Count As Much As A 5$ Mm Or Any Other Match.
I declare that you are a small baby.

And yeah Lucas, good call on sets being individually analyzed. A set precedent would be nice, however... Oh well, making the rankings really isn't that difficult anyway. I suppose with a panel of five respectable opinions, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Texas has a top 15 also, I totally forgot. However, they're also an ENORMOUS state geographically and have many, many players from different parts of the state. NJ's skill is very concentrated, however--we don't have as many randoms/mid-level players.

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord
I declare that you are a small baby.

And yeah Lucas, good call on sets being individually analyzed. A set precedent would be nice, however... Oh well, making the rankings really isn't that difficult anyway. I suppose with a panel of five respectable opinions, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Texas has a top 15 also, I totally forgot. However, they're also an ENORMOUS state geographically and have many, many players from different parts of the state. NJ's skill is very concentrated, however--we don't have as many randoms/mid-level players.
I believe our state has the best randoms in the country to be honest

EDIT: not to mention the best 12 year old.

Max Ketchum

MoJoe is the best 12 year old, sorry brah.

The only good random is Rob M, who actually isn't a random and has been playing with good tournament players like Orion and Kai at Gamingworld for over a year.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master

The only good random is Rob M, who actually isn't a random and has been playing with good tournament players like Orion and Kai at Gamingworld for over a year.
He's played me twice, and no, he sucks

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord

Mojoe is 11 AND I AM THE 12 YEAR OLD DOUBLES GOD OF AMERICA! mojoe suggs digg on dubz. :chuckle:

Max Ketchum

Rob M is not really bad, Big M. You almost dropped a game to him, lol. He's by far the best out of the Gamingworld kids, and no other randoms have impressed me at all.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
okay.... /deep breath
CHIBO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*tough guy pose*

If anything gets out of hand lemme know and I'll forward it to the Atl North mod or deal with it myself. (That report button works btw, especially in Atl North as Dazwa is a very active mod)

As long as its semi related to NJ and its players and rankings and such with discussion that doesn't get out of hand (like it does a lot *sigh*) then you're all cool. But remember this isn't a social room thread.

Max Ketchum

Not saying I agree or disagree, but set counts =/= player skill. He also uses a significantly worse/harder character.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
ive played rob m? i thought i only played him in dubz and saw a match of him in singles.

edit: now i remember, if he was anything special i woulda remembered him or something. only thing i remember is his DI, it was pretty good

daisho

Smash Lord
no doubt remix is mad good, but i consistently beat him in our matches and i took him out in a tourney set so as of now? no.
Haha, I was wondering how you would respond to that.

On one hand your ego is way to big to not respond to something like that but you don't want to throw remix under the bus.

I haven't played you in singles for a while but I played remix the other day and he was really good (for those who don't know he beat me in the tournament and got 5th overall). Though you're probably better at doubles kingz.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
ohhhh i remember that guy, yea he was really good actually. forgot all about him, when i first came orion was telling me about this random snake main, i thought it was him. yea..rob m is mad legit

btw, go to my aib profile(thelegendarybigm) go to my recent group (fairlawn powerrankings) and check there, thats as recent as it stands. if remix is better than kingz hes gonna have to prove it otherwise, remix did vs me round 1 of losers though due to me losing to kingz round 1

Allied

Smash Master
i think kingz is wayy better than remix,

+ kingz has swagger

and cable i dont think they can do that because they only put characters up there that you use consistantly
that would be like adhd being like "even tho i haven't used him in a tourny yet, put snake up there"

regardless if ur luigi is good or not (i'm sure it is <3) i dont think you have notable wins with him YET*!!*!*!

:D

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord
Haha, I was wondering how you would respond to that.

On one hand your ego is way to big to not respond to something like that but you don't want to throw remix under the bus.

I haven't played you in singles for a while but I played remix the other day and he was really good (for those who don't know he beat me in the tournament and got 5th overall). Though you're probably better at doubles kingz.
My ego is huggggggggge thats why i where those glasses :D

+ kingz has swagger

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
You don't know what you're talking about. The match-up is horrifyingly awful. Ike can't approach Sonic and he can't get out of Sonic's pressure. That is ****. This means Sonic can camp Ike to death (Ike can't catch him or hit him if he just runs) or Sonic can just rush him down and wreck him (Ike can't get out of the pressure since his aerials are too slow).
Oh well look at that, BOWSER HAS THE SAME ****ING PROBLEM, and don't say Upb because I can't Upb some of his stuff, you also have a fair and jab to keep him away. Honestly your jab is a better move in this matchup then my UpB, people are just stupid and get hit by it because it surprises them.

Oh and before you make any claims about my character, be sure to remember who the **** I am, you are no where near considered what I am with my character with yours. I also talked to Espy earlier and he thinks the matchup at best is 50:50 for Ike.

Wooj

Smash Journeyman
on my ranking can u take out snake and put random. bcuz believe it or not i actually only went MK but i dont play him anymore so can u put random. bbcuz recently i've been turning more and more like NL were i wood use a random charecter. unless its a specific MU. OH i officially main IC. i kon = top 3

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
on my ranking can u take out snake and put random. bcuz believe it or not i actually only went MK but i dont play him anymore so can u put random. bbcuz recently i've been turning more and more like NL were i wood use a random charecter. unless its a specific MU. OH i officially main IC. i kon = top 3
*Attempts to read post*

Allied

Smash Master

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I didn't address the matchup, I quoted you calling me(a friend) a coward.
You are my friend, but requiring Diddy Kong instead of Sonic to beat a character Sonic already *****...is somewhat cowardly. >_>;

Ok. So let's stop being dumb.

Oh well look at that, BOWSER HAS THE SAME ****ING PROBLEM, and don't say Upb because I can't Upb some of his stuff, you also have a fair and jab to keep him away. Honestly your jab is a better move in this matchup then my UpB, people are just stupid and get hit by it because it surprises them.

Oh and before you make any claims about my character, be sure to remember who the **** I am, you are no where near considered what I am with my character with yours. I also talked to Espy earlier and he thinks the matchup at best is 50:50 for Ike.
Nope. You're both dead wrong. I am probably the most experienced top Ike when it comes to fighting Sonic since I've played almost all of the top ones many times in serious sets. I know that match-up extremely well, and Ike gets massacred. I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Ok people I am going to give you an easy way to tell whether one char ***** another.

If spam was playing as BOTH characters vs himself. How badly would he win(timeout) the other char?

Kai, perhaps YOU are approaching inui a bit too much resulting in your problems.

Inui, when you win vs sonic, is it usually when they decide NOT to play like a f@g towards you?

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
lmao erik that's amazing. I usually imagine how kashif would approach a matchup in brawl to decide character matchups lmfao

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Exactly lmao. Like I can EASILY see sonic ****** Ike. If you LET ike jab you, fair you, nair u w/e, then of course it will be close. But if your mother was going to be killed if you didn't time ike you, I'm pretty sure that ike would be getting ROCKED and timed out.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Ok people I am going to give you an easy way to tell whether one char ***** another.

If spam was playing as BOTH characters vs himself. How badly would he win(timeout) the other char?

Kai, perhaps YOU are approaching inui a bit too much resulting in your problems.

Inui, when you win vs sonic, is it usually when they decide NOT to play like a f@g towards you?
No, Sonic does not **** Ike.

Inui, its not cowardly. It's the character I prefer in the situation. Do NOT insult me for that. Like I said, this demeaning garbage you do in discussing pisses me off. Don't do it.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Kai, how can ike catch sonic? If you went into the match with the intention 2 simply stay away from ike for 8 mins, you're telling me you couldn't do it?

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Kai, how can ike catch sonic? If you went into the match with the intention 2 simply stay away from ike for 8 mins, you're telling me you couldn't do it?
Wouldn't that be stalling and I could have that called on me?

The stages are not endless......I can't just run in one direction. I would have to go over him.....Ike can't jump? Besides, Ike's aerial sideB gets him around pretty quick.

Allied

Smash Master
Ike has options around running away sonic simply can't run away for 8 minutes let alone seconds he will be giving up alot of stage control / zoneing advantages that he can control easily

It would be dumb for a sonic just run away and if an ike can't catch sonic in 8 minutes hes bad or not using the right approaching methods and if anyone says (LOL IKES APPROACH IS GARBAGE) we are playing brawl people

my characters approach is this

Run up shield grab
Bair

Those are my approaches so you can't lay that at me

i think the MU is around 50/50'
55/45 AT MAYBE TOPS in sonics favor

same with kirby matchup vs sonic

Eazy23

Smash Lord
No, there is nothing wrong with playing extremely defensive. If a character outruns another character to the point where he can not be touched....he simply wrecks the other character. Mk, marth etc can keep certain characters away SIMPLY by poking and zoning. Why would there be a problem with Sonic running away from a slow character?

And regardless of whether Ike can move, jump, aerial upB. You're smart enough to avoid what he is going to do unless you are tricked. However, being tricked is not taken into consideration when discussing matchups.

On paper, I do not see a way for ike to effectively keep sonic from running away if he has the lead. I'm not saying it is brain dead easy to run away for 8 mins, but if its a strat that a sonic main is willing to try...it probably would work.

Top Bottom