• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> Marth was sorta changed a bit, so you can't play him EXACTLY like he was in Melee...which I suppose is a nerf in of itself.

However, no one has taken the time to know other characters as much as we already know Marth, which is why everyone is already jumping into a "Zomg Marth is top tier."

Will Marth be top tier? Probably.
Do we have anything other than the fact we already 'know' how to play him?
No.

Like I said, still too early.

Just return to your character's boards and continue smiling over all their improvements.

-DD

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
>.> Marth was sorta changed a bit, so you can't play him EXACTLY like he was in Melee...which I suppose is a nerf in of itself.

However, no one has taken the time to know other characters as much as we already know Marth, which is why everyone is already jumping into a "Zomg Marth is top tier."

Will Marth be top tier? Probably.
Do we have anything other than the fact we already 'know' how to play him?
No.

Like I said, still too early.

Just return to your character's boards and continue smiling over all their improvements.

-DD
none of the spacies are being called top, only sonic-lucario-marth...

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
how bout instead of determining who the top tier people are, start finding out who the crappy people are and work from the bottom up?

D

Deleted member

Judging by everybody saying that "*Insert Brawl Character* is going to top tier...", I'm guessing that Brawl's bottom tier will judged by not how bad a character is, but, instead, how good they aren't.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
ANYWAY....getting back on topic.

I believe Zelda should definitly be moved up a tier. She isn't the Zelda of Melee anymore. Her Din's Fire has gotten some priority. Not to mention several of her movesets have been buffed up. You could even cancel the landing lag of her recovery.

It's still too early to tell, but Peach Might be knocked down a tier (Possibly upper or Mid tier). She has got some buffs here and there, but because of her symbolized moves and techs ripped from Brawl, it could be hard for players to compete like they did with Melee.

EDIT: Crap, how can I forget about Bowser?

He's gotten so many buffs he's actually playable to some or several people. The New addition of the Koopa Klaw would be handy if you wanna be the Boozercide of Kirby. There's just so much other things to consider about this Koopa. He could be mid tier, but in the right hands (like DJ Nintendo, Gimpyfish, and several other top playing Boozers) he could be high tier.

You know, I don't think there shouldn't be a low tier, because all the characters seem so well balanced, it all comes down to the person's taste. Any character could perform well in a certain situation.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
ANYWAY....getting back on topic.

I believe Zelda should definitly be moved up a tier. She isn't the Zelda of Melee anymore. Her Din's Fire has gotten some priority. Not to mention several of her movesets have been buffed up. You could even cancel the landing lag of her recovery.

It's still too early to tell, but Peach Might be knocked down a tier (Possibly upper or Mid tier). She has got some buffs here and there, but because of her symbolized moves and techs ripped from Brawl, it could be hard for players to compete like they did with Melee.

EDIT: Crap, how can I forget about Bowser?

He's gotten so many buffs he's actually playable to some or several people. The New addition of the Koopa Klaw would be handy if you wanna be the Boozercide of Kirby. There's just so much other things to consider about this Koopa. He could be mid tier, but in the right hands (like DJ Nintendo, Gimpyfish, and several other top playing Boozers) he could be high tier.

You know, I don't think there shouldn't be a low tier, because all the characters seem so well balanced, it all comes down to the person's taste. Any character could perform well in a certain situation.
every fighting game has high and low tiers, if guilty gear has them, ssbb will too...

aethercide>boswercide=kirbycide>suicdedede

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
The best way to make a tier list would be for whenever a tournament is held, the results include which characters each person used. Obviously once we see certain characters placing at every tournament, then people can really start deriving a tier list from actual data.

But as I said in my previous post in this thread, we should wait like 6 months to get a collection going. And all the tournaments should be sent to Nealdt and archived in TIA.

Hanniah

Smash Cadet
Just a thing I thought about: there WILL be a bottom tier, since it'll at least contain one caracter: GANONDORF. He is just sooo slow. His running is less fast than Kirby's walking (or almost).

Bottom Tier
Ganondorf

Fixed.

Miller

Smash Lord
Well Ganon isnt a guarentted bottom tier, He has amazing techchasing which will give him some points. His Bair is still amazing aswell.

I think Pit should around the Middle/High tier area and Ike in Middle. These are the only characters that I actually play so I cant give my thoughts about anyone else.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Everyone is broken. Which is good, and how it should be. However, one I get my hands on TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK, the tiers will die. Because he'll be soooo broken, it'll be INSANE!!!

Seriously, Bowser (Koopacide), Marth (only because he's the same as Melee, but slightly damage-wise nerfed, no uber combos, and less range), Ike (power), etc. look good. However, everyone who's play Brawl thus far will suck compared to how good the smash community will become in a about half a year to a year, guarenteed. ;)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
every fighting game has high and low tiers, if guilty gear has them, ssbb will too...

True. I guess I should've said bottom tier...because no one really sucks in that game. How can a balanced character suck? O.o

Prediction from a guy that has never played the game (I admit):

Yoshi will suck.

lol

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer

True. I guess I should've said bottom tier...because no one really sucks in that game. How can a balanced character suck? O.o

Prediction from a guy that has never played the game (I admit):

Yoshi will suck.

lol

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping that Donkey Kong will at least be able to compete in some way or another with the high tier characters. He seems a lot better in Brawl so I'm going to look forward to trying him out and (hopefully) kicking butt with him.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Fox, Falco, Sonic, Mario, Luigi, Wolf, Metaknight, Peach, Marth, and Pit are definatly high on the tier list.

Shiek, Pokemon Trainer, Link, Olimar, Kirby, Dedede,Jiggly, Falcon, Snake,Ike,Toon Link, Yoshi, Diddy,IC's, and Rob seem to be in the middle of the tier list.

Donkey Kong, Zelda,Ness, Lucas, Lucario, Bowser,Game and Watch,Ike, Wario, and Ganon seem to be on the southern half of the tier list this time around.

The lists I gave are in no order, and are just what I think an image of the first tier list will actually be like.
haha are you kidding me. Lucas is amazing. He is my main character and ive yet to see a character that matches up well against him.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
The tiers shouldn't change too dramatically, one of the main influences is speed due to the lack of the wavedash and L-cancelling. If people that played as shiek and fox are used to a fast-paced game without these, they'll be able to adapt to brawl a lot quicker than others like that aren't used to it. Glad to see all the broken characters though, good stuff ;p. Psy.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I'm hoping that Donkey Kong will at least be able to compete in some way or another with the high tier characters. He seems a lot better in Brawl so I'm going to look forward to trying him out and (hopefully) kicking butt with him.
I'm not too sure about Donkey Kong, but I think he's gotten good. He can sweetspot the ledge better when he Up-Bs (that's what I heard/saw so far with Bum playing). Bum also said, and I quote 'His back air looks sexier' Because it has a more Samus aran kick. lol

haha are you kidding me. Lucas is amazing. He is my main character and ive yet to see a character that matches up well against him.
Agreed to a point. Lucas is definitly different then Ness, but I'm not sure as to who can beat him. Remember, we all suck right now. But no Lie, he is impressive.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
F**k Marth.

I'm sick of hearing about how "broken high tier" he is...

All of this hype just comes from his fanboys.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
The tiers shouldn't change too dramatically, one of the main influences is speed due to the lack of the wavedash and L-cancelling. If people that played as shiek and fox are used to a fast-paced game without these, they'll be able to adapt to brawl a lot quicker than others like that aren't used to it. Glad to see all the broken characters though, good stuff ;p. Psy.
I'm seeing bowser go from near bottom to up there. Zelda was I see her rising up by alot. Mario is going down and luigi is going up. Those are some things i've seen and am am pretty sure of.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Opinions from ~ 10 hours of play.
I've only listed the one's that I have played.

Pit
Marth

High
Fox
Falco
ROB
Olimer
Peach
Diddy
Dedede
Metaknight

Mid/High
Ike
Mario
PT (IMO Ivysaur - high, Charizard - mid/high , Squirtle - mid/low)
Luigi
Lucas
Lucario
Samus

Mid
Snake
Link
Sheik
Wario
ZSS
Sonic
Kirby
Zelda
Falcon

Low
Ness
Bowser
DK

jigabuhu

Smash Rookie
I think diddy is amazing, along with peach. I have had the japanese version since it came out, and why do you think that diddy's forward b is good? i barely use it, mostly to get on edge? can it be used in combos? when do you use it?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Opinions from ~ 10 hours of play.
I've only listed the one's that I have played.

Pit
Marth

High
Fox
Falco
ROB
Olimer
Peach
Diddy
Dedede
Metaknight

Mid/High
Ike
Mario
PT (IMO Ivysaur - high, Charizard - mid/high , Squirtle - mid/low)
Luigi
Lucas
Lucario
Samus

Mid
Snake
Link
Sheik
Wario
ZSS
Sonic
Kirby
Zelda
Falcon

Low
Ness
Bowser
DK
way, way, off. there is absolutely no way that dk is worse than everyone considering he received nothing but buffs and I have a feeling that luigi is better than mario in this game

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
What little I know/played

Top Tier;
Olimar (near broken)
King Dedede
Lucas
Marth
Ike

Hight Tier:
Wolf