• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official PAL Tier List (Melee)

Smady

Smash Master
The UK doesn't suck. Link doesn't suck either, he's just hard to utilize and his projectiles are all situational.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
For the second time, I never said Aniki's not good with Link, cause he is. But now uses Samus, would he switch if he thought Link would be good enough to keep winning forever?

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
For the second time, I never said Aniki's not good with Link, cause he is. But now uses Samus, would he switch if he thought Link would be good enough to keep winning forever?
People switch for different reasons, I've been through a lot of characters since I first played Melee, I stayed with Link because of the fact I love how strong he is and how unpredictable he is because everyone underestimates everyone who isn't a well known Link player who uses him in tournaments or even friendlies. Link is a very agile character when he needs to be, his strength is good, but his speed is total **** apart from his aerial moves when shffl'd.

I agree with P, He's a very underrated character, and Reachers Link is very very talented. It's very good, and I can't beat it with my Link, but I've just started playing competitivly.

Oh, and about the UK sucks thing? Have you even been the UK and played smash with us here? I highly doubt it if your going to ROS4 and Reacher goes, I hope he shows you what Link can really do to whoever you play as, :/ I'm not saying he would play against you or he is going, because I've only met him twice in my life and don't know any of his contact addresses or IM addresses, but I sure hope you either face him or a Link better than him and they show you how good he can really be... He is underrated, and very unpredictable unless you spam his moves over and over (E.G: UP+B Spam.... *looks around* >.> Trying to stop it... XD)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Jeffz0r is the #8 of Europe, don't take him lightly!

(actually, there doesn't exist a number for his European ranking, I also don't get where that comment came from)

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
Are all of you English folks incapable of reading or something? I never said Link sucked, every character can be good if you've got talent and you practise enough. I only said he's not good enough to get really far with in high level tournaments, Aniki is the only exception. Okay Germ, Makenshi and Niam (and probably more players) are good with Link too, but they don't win tournaments with him.
It's the same as with Jigglypuff, it can be a great character, but has it's limits.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Are all of you English folks incapable of reading or something? I never said Link sucked, every character can be good if you've got talent and you practise enough. I only said he's not good enough to get really far with in high level tournaments, Aniki is the only exception. Okay Germ, Makenshi and Niam (and probably more players) are good with Link too, but they don't win tournaments with him.
It's the same as with Jigglypuff, it can be a great character, but has it's limits.

I'm actually scottish, and I read your original post to quickly and assumed, Sorry for the mistake. :p

Matalee

Smash Rookie
This is Mr P

Excuse me if i am wrong but isnt the tier list based on the top of the metagame ? Good link Players aren't in their abundance but the fact that Aniki can win large scale Japanese tournaments with Link in NTSC is proof enough that Link is a viable character for tournament play. The only reason he picked up samus was for sheiks, and that matchup is something different altogther in PAL. The reason we have low tier tournies is so that the lesser characters have a chance at being competitive and link shouldnt fall into that category. Link DOES have some weaknesses, there is absaloutly no doubt that he is nowhere as good a character as sheik fox falco etc but imo Link is better than ganon who is much more limited and gets ***** FAR harder by the top tiers.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Jeffzor is an idiot:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: I think he's right though, for the first time ever ~Nihonjin
EDIT:he is an idiot for the post above this one,not his opinion on Link -__-.

On topic:Falco above Sheik.Falcon debatebly under Peach and Marth in a high tier(top being Falco Sheik Fox).Link above Luigi and in the 2nd tier.

I dont really care about the tier list though:laugh: .

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
no jeffzor YOU suck, and whether or not he decided to use samus doesnt negate the fact he destroys pretty much everyone in japan with link
He doesn't destroy pretty much everyone in Japan with Link thats why he plays Samus.
Also you should be able to see the difference between a good character and a good player, he doesn't beat the japanese because of Link but because he's Aniki.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I meant it's part of the UK, not of England. I should've prased that better, my bad , sorry :/

Lol it's okay, but since when did England become it's own devision of the UK that it doesn't get classed as part of the UK anymore? XD.

Just kidding, I get what you mean, scotland and england are both countries.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Go****, legends everywhere you look. Well as i've posted earlier i agree that Link is not lower tier. Although i might not be great now, throughout my time playing smash Link has been the character to give me most trouble. Ive been put out of tourneys by more links than sheiks.

J03

Smash Master
Falco
Sheik
Fox
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ice Climbers
Ganondorf
Link

Mario
Luigi

i think this i more adequate, sheik/falco are so close so i doesnt really matter whos top

IC's, no way better then samus as nana can be killed cheaply and then none of the grab shiz works, and no cheap hits from nana when trying to edgeguard popo. samus has the ability to recover from almost anything, she also has combo ability aswell as such things as retreating bombs to interupt appraoches, missiles to **** up recovery...charge shot too also has HUGE mindgames and can punish with the charge shot + strong smashes

IC's not as good as jiggs either, jiggs has the Wall Of Pain as way too much edgeguard potential, combined with cheap kills on FF'rs and...well anyone and the rest is the utimate punisher. though light jiggs is bloody hard to combo and a defensive jiggs is very hard to fight against.

Doc above IC's is arguable and although ive put doc above IC's i can see why IC's could be better, though i can see why Doc could be better too

Links options in recovery, nice edgeguard game, punish ability, combo ability and kill abilty + good weight and match ups make him better then mario and this way mario is the middle char as nintendo intendid him to be

Luigi below mario because lets face it he really misses not having a cape

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
I disagree with J03's opinions about ICs. Personally I would even put them above Falcon on the list, since to me it seems that the lack of experience European players have against ICs make people underestimate them. Anyway they should not be any lower. Nana can be killed really easily sometimes, but even so Popo can often punish you for this, because you often have to go off-stage to KO Nana. As long as Nana is in the game, the ICs are monstrous.

Also I don't see Samus having combos, except some really basic stuff and things that aren't really combos but just putting your opponent in a bad position so they can be easily punished.

Ryan is right as well, nothing should come between Doc and Mario on the list, especially not 3 other characters.

Martiny2m

Smash Apprentice
isnt there a name for each tier

e.g

Top.
Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach

High.

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario

Low.
Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

Bottom.
Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

J03

Smash Master
telepion i disagree with your opinion of lack of experience vs IC's. for if anything a lack of exp against them means that there TOO high in the tier list and once pl get used to them they will be less formidable as they appear now.

also regarding samus's combos. though basic so are some of the best comboes in the game. falcons stomp to knee. foxs waveshine to upsmash. sheik f-tilt to fair.
marths up-throw to f-smash. peaches dair to nair are all prime examples of killer moves. the main difficulty that makes to good char from a bad char is there ability to get opponents into the right position to use them. i.e. fox's speed closes range fast and sheik moveset set them up for a fair and falocs laser reducing there options

samus's grab range, superwavedash, and range game work to give her a good approach and mess up theres

J03

Smash Master
lol simply meant it was an option and its not predictabel if a samus has been bombing to interupt things. like bomb to interupt another samus's missile then SWD towards you...scared the hell outa of me ^^

Top Bottom