• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
IMO, Isa does seem to be the more likely pick, with Saki remaining on board as an Assist.
This thread moves too fast for me...
If you want less fast moving, go see the Stage Discussion group! Now with only Two Regulars!

And yeah, Isa is seeming more possi...Wait, when does S&P2 release here anyways? *Goes to wiki*

n88

Smash Lord
2010, I believe.

What's the general opinion on Fawful? I think he definitely has potential to appear as an Assist. Some kind of crazy combo fo Resetti and Ray Mk III, perhaps?

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
@SmashChu

Replace Krystal with someone else if you don't want any one whining about fur and other silly stuff. I'd throw Sukapon up there, and perhaps Mewtwo in place of Krystal.

That aside, more roster forecasting? Oh joy!

Guess I'll make another one--gonna make a bit more out-of-the-blue suggestions, just to liven up the roster. Don't want it to be too predictable.

Mario
Bowser Jr
Geno

(Was going to add Toad, honestly, but thinking about it more, he simply isn't one people clamor for. There's a lot of buzz around Geno, albeit on the web, still apparently more than what Toad receives.)

LoZ
Toon Zelda
Midna

Metroid
Ridley

Donkey Kong
King K Rool
Dixie King

Yoshi
Baby Bros.

Earthbound
Pokey

F-Zero
Samurai Goroh

WarioWario
Mona
Captain Syrup

(Now she isn't WW, and I do believe that matters to a degree, but hopefully Sakurai can make an exception here. People here seems to want her.)

Retro
Takamaru
Sukapon

Others
Little Mac
Stafy
Andy
Saki
Isaac
Ray
Lip
Jill
Mii

(Let me tell you about my fascination with Jill as of late. I picked up Drill Dozer relatively cheap some time ago--instantly loved it. She isn't popular, I know, and that's partially why I added her. There is no one really like her in Smash Bros., she has potential. And I want to see Drill Dozer revived. )

3rd-Party
MegaMan
Chocobo
Simon Belmont (2nd Konami Rep)

(Sega characters are difficult to pick out. There are no other flagship characters from Sega that appeared on a Nintendo console, which sucks, 'cause I was going to add Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue. I could add Nights, but would you guys like Nights?)

Didn't add the usual "Roy, Mewtwo, 5th gen, New Lord" stuff--don't want to anger Chu. Also didn't add Krystal, kinda unsure whether or not to add her.

About Saki/Isa, Kuma is right in that we shouldn't assume anything until we see how S&P2 performs here. Till then, Saki seems to be the one people want. I wouldn't mind who gets chosen either way, but still (here's hoping we get both)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Toise, we can't stand each other one bit more so than I can't stand SmashChu on gameplay. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Sheesh, it's like discussing politics or religion with you two.

*Waits*

Pfft. Who needs Fawful when you can have this for Mario RPG's?

The Ultimate WTF Of all Assist Trophies.
WIN

Maybe he can solve the mystery as to why the grass is wet every morning.

Oh, and your new avatar is FAB-U-LOUS!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well the major problem I see with Saki is that his game came out two generations ago, and as of now can't be considered retro really. If S&P2 didn't exist, he still probably wouldn't deserve it either, since he's not really a very popular character. (And the fact that he has like only two moves doesn't help either) Given that, I don't think his popularity really means anything because its just too low to matter when concerning a brand new character like Isa.

The thing is Isa will be the character that just came around. He'll be the character who's game was internationally released not just through digital distribution. If Nintendo's advertising pays off, he'll also be leaps and bounds more popular than Saki. Thus when you add that up (along with the fact that Isa has much more variety when it comes to moves) there's actually very little reason to support Saki other than that he came first.

n88

Smash Lord
@thirdkoopa

Pfft. Stupid bumpty is stupid. Can't even tell Mario from Luigi. I HAVE FAWFUL!

@Scooby

Roster is okay-ish. Don't really like Geno or having both Mona and Syrup on there, but w/e. Toon Zelda is win. I would not like Nights.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well the major problem I see with Saki is that his game came out two generations ago, and as of now can't be considered retro really. If S&P2 didn't exist, he still probably wouldn't deserve it either, since he's not really a very popular character. (And the fact that he has like only two moves doesn't help either) Given that, I don't think his popularity really means anything because its just too low to matter when concerning a brand new character like Isa.

The thing is Isa will be the character that just came around. He'll be the character who's game was internationally released not just through digital distribution. If Nintendo's advertising pays off, he'll also be leaps and bounds more popular than Saki. Thus when you add that up (along with the fact that Isa has much more variety when it comes to moves) there's actually very little reason to support Saki other than that he came first.
So you're saying that Isa should have priority over Saki because he's in a more recent game and that you don't consider him retro?

Anyway, Saki seems to be fairly popular in Japan (haven't seen this card used in a while) since he was apparently popular, according to Sakurai, enough to get in at least as an AT. Isa may have more moveset potential, but like I said, they can always pull a Ness with Saki.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
So you're saying that Isa should have priority over Saki because he's in a more recent game and that you don't consider him retro?
Well yes, he's topical, but he's also got the advantage of a traditional international release coming up, which apparently is going to have some effort put into it. If that's sucessful, then he'll have the popularity card as well. If there was no Isa though, and no S&P2, then I'd just say that Saki really wouldn't get in until the N64 can fully be considered retro, which may take until Smash 5 really, since it doesn't seem like retro applies to the SNES yet from Sakurai's point of view.

Anyway, Saki seems to be fairly popular in Japan (haven't seen this card used in a while) since he was apparently popular, according to Sakurai, enough to get in at least as an AT. Isa may have more moveset potential, but like I said, they can always pull a Ness with Saki.
I'm not quite so sure if Saki was popular at the time so much as S&P was popular at the time, though it could have been both. The popularity of the game with the VC is what greenlighted S&P2 after all. And pulling a Ness? Lucas didn't exist when Ness showed up. Heck, given Sakurai's statements in regards to Ness in Melee, its fairly certain that if Lucas had been there at the time, he would have been chosen instead.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
The closest anyone else came to seconding your position was the one guy who assumed I didn't support the game saving any previously adjusted settings.
Lol @ toise, misinterpreting me yet again, not sure how you thought that I assumed that^ from this:

Remember the whole thing with Stock and Time? If you've ever played Melee on an emulator, that savestate option becomes rather friendly
Now I'm just some random guy that you won't refer to me by title (or respond)

*Aside? (for Kuma's sake lol)
I haven't said this, but I think it's something we should all realize: Fighting games, and this includes Smash, are not really for first time gamers.
Agreed 100% bro, finally someone else understands this. Perhaps is Toise was intuitive minded, he would understand this as well
(just sittin there in the corner of someone else's house watching strangers play games).

Toise, if you will kindly take note of this question, what would be your reason for stating that smash is hardly competative? What does the fanbase consist of to you?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
X, I would not bother with this guy. There's no sense in trying to convince him of anything or have him look at any other solutions which he seems to ignore in favor of his proposal which started this whole mess.

Why do you have a part of one of my posts in your post? It seems kinda randomly placed.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Well Toise,

I'm not angry, I just get irritated by the way you talk to people. I'm not sure what gave you that impression, since you called yourself a douchebag, (do I need to quote it?)

We've spoken in the past, I dropped the issue because I figured that I wouldn't convince you and your long responses were taking up half of each page (plus people were changing the topic). I'm not surprised that with all the people that come by this thread, you don't remember me in particular, and I'm totally cool with that.

Kuma

I haven't posted in a few days, so I'm still in the thought process of that last post (to which you are the only one who responded) I put that part of your post in because I had been wanting to talk about smash's success (as a genre) since my last post. Then (and in this post) I removed my comments on that issue because I wanted to hear Toise's response and disscuss it as another topic, but that didn't happen. I just wanted to state that I agree with you and discuss it from there.

Simon Belmont

ZSS, Snake....Yay for more naked characters! :chuckle:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@KumaOso: I want to beat my head against the keyboard when I read your post.

What Toise is saying is logical and reasonable. You want games to be assessable because that means more people will buy them, and if the game is good, tell all their friends. Games that are too hard to control flop. This is why the Wii is dominating over the PS3 and 360.

So you are going to do this: Find me a successful multiplayer game that is hard to learn.

None of you have given examples before, so it now time to back up your word rather then assume some made-up doctrine.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Little Mac? Play as G&W
K. Rool? Play as Bowser
Claus? Play as Meta-Knight
Krystal? LOL YOU ALREADY HAVE 3 CHARACTERS
Samurai Goroh? Play as Marth.
Isaac? Play as Ike.
Two of those arguments dont make much sense.

1) K. Rool. He's only similiar to Bowser in the aspect of the big dumb bad guy. He has a pirate ship, for pete's sake. Bowser has a castle.

2) Krystal. Um.........ever played the game she first showed up in? What i mean is THE STAFF. She would obviously have the staff, thus making her of the same game but not another altered Fox. I was surprised they put Wolf in before her for that fact right there, since they already had Falco.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Two of those arguments dont make much sense.

1) K. Rool. He's only similiar to Bowser in the aspect of the big dumb bad guy. He has a pirate ship, for pete's sake. Bowser has a castle.

2) Krystal. Um.........ever played the game she first showed up in? What i mean is THE STAFF. She would obviously have the staff, thus making her of the same game but not another altered Fox. I was surprised they put Wolf in before her for that fact right there, since they already had Falco.
The point was that you can use any moronic arguement to say "GO PLAY ANOTHER CHARACTER" And deny a character simply because there's other popular/important characters. None of those were suppose to make sense and If anyone saw any one of those "Good" arguements then...Yeah.

And yes, I played SFA. I own all the Star Fox games and have supported Wolf and Krystal along with maining Falco in Melee.

WIN

Maybe he can solve the mystery as to why the grass is wet every morning.

Oh, and your new avatar is FAB-U-LOUS!
I already had an idea to make him hilarious. For the most part, when Pennington is out on the field, he'll start investigating players.

"Hello, are you Felix?"
"No, I'm isaac. Who are you?"
"Great to meet you Felix, I saw your friend Isaac pass by"
"Uh, felix is only my friend. I'm Isaac"
"Could you help me on a Mystery, felix"
"HOW MANY ****ING TIMES DOES IT TAKE TO GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD I'M ****ING ISAAC. GOD"
"K, Bai"

And thanks. The Artist and I are discussing a few things via pm currently.

Saki/Isa stuff
Have to be honest here; I agree with Pie asides from mentioning old/new over and over again.

The fact of the matter is that the only reason we're even thinking about a S&P Character as Plausible is because of S&P2. Without that, the series wouldn't really compete to Golden Sun, Punch-Out, and down in the set, Starfy along with others. Granted, S&P1 may be pretty popular, but If advertising does pay off enough in the US To warrant a character, Isa will pretty much have everything going for him over Saki.

Saki's only really advantage comes from being first, which honestly, Ness isn't even first. Marth wasn't really picked for the fact he was first most probably. Moreso on his reoccurance, along with why Isaac is still plausible with this possible new guy running around, which Saki doesn't have.

So the only thing I see here is "SAKI LOOKS COOLER" And while his design is better, I have to be honest. I'm getting the hang of Isa's design.

@Thirdkoopa

Pfft. Stupid bumpty is stupid. Can't even tell Mario from Luigi. I HAVE FAWFUL!
That's why he's hilarious. "Thanks for helping me on this detective mission, Luigi" The most hilarious character in all of Mario RPG's. Fawful's great and all, but this dude is at the top of the unique poll, obscure, and just about everything else.

Cafe's Roster said:
Good? Yes. Realistic? Less so (Not that it has to be predictable too) The main thing I have about this is the amount of new franchises, when Sakurai has only picked one in Melee and one in Brawl outside of the "lol retro's", Granted we also did get a few stages from characters who didn't end up playable, but just the fact of that makes me sincerely doubt that big of an up boosting.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@KumaOso: I want to beat my head against the keyboard when I read your post.

What Toise is saying is logical and reasonable. You want games to be assessable because that means more people will buy them, and if the game is good, tell all their friends. Games that are too hard to control flop. This is why the Wii is dominating over the PS3 and 360.

So you are going to do this: Find me a successful multiplayer game that is hard to learn.

None of you have given examples before, so it now time to back up your word rather then assume some made-up doctrine.
Quit twisting my words into what's favorable to you.

I never said I want games to be hard to control (which is different from a game being hard). I want games to be easy to learn, hard to master. Case in point, Smash does a good job of keeping the basics of the game easy to learn, but it's difficult to master everything in the game where you can take the basics of the game and create a bunch of crazy combos, mind games, etc.

You're wanting games to be accessible, but from what I'm getting from you is that accessible means that you can just go ahead and play the game without having to learning how to play. That's like tossing you into a midterm for a class you've never taken and expect you to get an A.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not going to bother with this as this was never what this discussion was about. I've been arguing that ideally you should have a game, at least applying to multiplayer, that is easy to learn but hard to master. In that case, you can apply your question to Smash and a good number of other competitive games, but only at the advanced level.

I apologize if that has been causing this turmoil between us this entire time. I just want some new mechanics in like Air Grapples (for tethers; you reel the opponent in, not throw them like in other fighters) or a refined, Smashified super meter system in order to add some more depth to the game. I've never been about making the game hard for newbies. I just want people to have work their way to the top if they really want to go competitive like everything else in life and it doesn't involve picking the top tier characters. At the same time, casual players have a good amount, but not too much, of stuff to mess around with and have a blast.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
You're wanting games to be accessible, but from what I'm getting from you is that accessible means that you can just go ahead and play the game without having to learning how to play. That's like tossing you into a midterm for a class you've never taken and expect you to get an A.
I know you're ignoring me or whatever, but congratulations, you just figured out what accessible means.

Remember, this is a game. Anyone's supposed to be able to get into it regardless of how much dedication they have towards "mastering" it. It's not a competition, it's not a job, it's not a test. It's a game. People aren't supposed to do any sort of work to enjoy it.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
It's not a competition, it's not a job, it's not a test. It's a game. People aren't supposed to do any sort of work to enjoy it.
Cool, I agree that games should function this way.

Anyone's supposed to be able to get into it regardless of how much dedication they have towards "mastering" it.
The opposite can be true for us who make it out to be "a test" or whatever; some of us can enjoy things by working at them. Thats why we build communities like this one to share similar values.

Smash is fun without having to do work. It just suffers replay value beyond its genre:

a fighting game.

Fighting games have a tendency to become competitive because there is so much depth to be explored in the multiplayer (the person that does study this will obviously be better thant he person that doesn't). I keep trying to stress this point, nobody has to play smash any particular way.

At the same time, casual players have a good amount, but not too much, of stuff to mess around with and have a blast.
Each player can get what they want out of a video game. Smash lacks captivating features outside of the multiplayer, so there isn't much else to do besides multiplayer (and even that is restricted due to Brawl's online). Its innevitable that the more a person plays , the more proficient they will become and sometimes that can be fun within itself. Soon, people want to start trying their skills against others and thus we have competative players. (Smash Parties: Friends gotta go home sometime)

I like the way Giant put it

It's not like competitive players are breaking into 12 year old's homes playing smash and kicking their ***, nor are 12 year olds breaking into my house and making me play with PokeBalls and Assist Trophies on
the highest rate.
I doubt that most newcomers are going to jump right into the competative scene, and if they do, they'd better be prepaired to see things in a new light.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I know you're ignoring me or whatever, but congratulations, you just figured out what accessible means.

Remember, this is a game. Anyone's supposed to be able to get into it regardless of how much dedication they have towards "mastering" it. It's not a competition, it's not a job, it's not a test. It's a game. People aren't supposed to do any sort of work to enjoy it.
I love how you perceive me as an idiot. I know what accessibility means. I was afraid that you and Chu have an extreme definition about it regarding videogames, and it turns out that I was right.

Tell me how having accessibility at that level is possible in a fighting game like Smash or any fighting game for that all. For the heck of it, tell me how it's possible for any videogame without having motion controls. Answer me under the condition that you have someone who has been living under a rock since before videogames ever existed.

Whenever you play a game you have to learn the rules on the game. What you have in mind is where the learning curve is nonexistent and people naturally know what to do.

Unless, of course, I am misinterpreting you again.

I'm aware that it's a game and all, but "People aren't supposed to do any sort of work to enjoy it."? Shoot, we've been doing this for decades; might as well have a WIN button. What do you call beating the final boss? Unlocking that character? Getting that hidden ending? It's work in the broadest form. Take that as you will, but here's an interesting thing for you: People can have fun while working. That's what people often tell others to think about when looking for a job.

I know that isn't what you meant by work where that means learning more than just the controls, but nonetheless, you have to earn your rewards in a videogame no matter how much work there is involved.

I am gonna have to side with Kuma on this one. If the game lacks any sort of real challenge, the game isn't fun. The most successful genre in today's market would probably be the First Person Shooter (Unless you have a chart to prove that wrong), and the shooters require huge amounts of practice, skill, and work to get good at and play. The sales numbers are there, despite the fact that most of the games ar ehard to get into and players who are superior will dwarf andyone else. Take CODWAW2, my friend makes me play and I am not placed in an open field without cover, there is no "do it fo rme button", and he's jumping around No-Scoping me...yet I still have fun, and I know several other people who enjoy playing the game, because getting better is fun, but if there is no point in getting better, there is little point in playing.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Gordon Freeman(lol)
Re-quote:
might as well have a WIN button.
But then you come down to having to practice on who can press that button faster. D:

As for the discussion; Wow. Every time Kuma says something about gameplay, Toise and Chu always pop up and now with NeverInfiniteX. I don't know why but I find this hilarious. Are you three like the Gameplay Mafia or some magic stuff like that?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As for the discussion; Wow. Every time Kuma says something about gameplay, Toise and Chu always pop up and now with NeverInfiniteX. I don't know why but I find this hilarious. Are you three like the Gameplay Mafia or some magic stuff like that?
It's more like I've stepped into Toise and Chu's gang territory that is this thread whenever I bring something that''s *gasp* not about characters. I interrupt the flow of things and X tries to help me fight back.

Come to think of it, it's more like they're the rulers of the thread and I refuse to be subject to their laws.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Cool, I agree that games should function this way. The opposite can be true for us who make it out to be that way, some of us can enjoy things by working at them. Thats why we build communities like this one to share similar values.

Smash is fun without having to do work. It just suffers replay value beyond its genre: a fighting game. Fighting games have a tendency to become competitive because there is so much depth to be explored in the multiplayer (the person that does study this will obviously be better thant he person that doesn't). I keep trying to stress this point, nobody has to play smash any particular way.
You pretty much got it; Smash is so successful because it's very accessible AND deep at the same time.

I may sound harsh sometimes when I'm chiding some of the suggestions people are making for gameplay changes, but I'm just criticizing the notion of adding depth at the cost of accessibility. These two things aren't mutually exclusive, there are ways to improve the game without sacrificing anything.

@Kuma: Yes, you're misinterpreting me again. I'm not saying "working at a game can't be fun," I'm saying "working at a game should never be a requirement." The most accessible games demand absolutely nothing to start playing.

You can start killing bad guys with a sword in Zelda within your first minute of ever seeing an NES controller. You can play Wii Bowling if you're capable of an underhand throwing motion. You can do special moves in Smash Bros. if you know where the B button is.

You're talking about final bosses and hidden endings and whatnot. I'm talking about knowing how to attack and not having to read "Game Over" repeatedly in Level 1. Today's topic is accessibility, not depth.

edits:
@Shino: sports and 2D platformers are arguably bigger than FPS, but I'm too lazy for maths right now

@Koops: magical deeds are afoot, dear reader

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
It's more like I've stepped into Toise and Chu's gang territory that is this thread whenever I bring something that''s *gasp* not about characters. I interrupt the flow of things and X tries to help me fight back.
...I just realized how much of a close group we are after reading this and reminding myself of the "SSB4 Thread Douchebag" Infact, we each even have our stereotypes/personalities:
Pieman: Small "Good Choices" List
ScoobyCafe: Big "Good Choices" List
ToiseOfChoice: SSB4 Thread Douchebag/The One Side of Logic
Arcadenik: Magical Fantasy World. Seriously, what drug?
Fatmanonice: The Other side of Logic
NeverInfiniteX: Random time.
n88_2004: Poll man
Shino: I got lazy with this description.
Hero_Dude: Wait...What happened to him?
SmashChu: Only comes in during Gameplay discussions to make stuff happen.
KumaOso: Gameplay!
*Insert someone I forgot here*: sorry dun maek me feel bad ):
Thirdkoopa (Me): 50/50 Also *Insert song here* And insert *"GET VOCAL"* Here.

And It's fine to not discuss characters all the time. We've practically ran into every character debate ever...Is there even anything to debate about left? And when we do have a long debate, it usually turns out a cluster tornado of disaster for the next 10 pages until something happens.

With that said, I'll go ahead and do what X Did with Darkrai:

@Koops: magical deeds are afoot, dear reader
Alright, two questions for you then Toise.
1)What is this magic drug You, X, SmashChu, and Arcadenik are on?

And

2)Where can I get some?

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Lol @ all this

TTK

Man, pure gold with what you say. Actually, I usually agree with the stuff that Toise says, he's the mediator that puts retrospect on stuff. My input is usually to put new perspectives on things, even though some people don't listen. That I may know Kuma, is beside the point. I like to embrace debates/discussions logically and that means noting both sides (and not bashing them).

Random Time: I'll Take that
TTK: more like class clown (lol jk)

Toise

I hear you loud and clear but... people know how to play the bowling feature because they know what it is before hand. The game also shows you how to perform the motions anyhow. This is a concern of mine also, I knew a guy who was a decent smash player but had no Idea that he could charge the smash attack (Cstick jockey). This ties in with the whole tutorial feature, that no one wants to pay attention to.

By the way, isn't Wii Sports a best seller? If so, isn't that due to the games inclusion in all the Wii packages? Do 'Games' and 'Sports Resort' maintain that level of popularity also?

n88

Smash Lord

Come to think of it, it's more like they're the rulers of the thread and I refuse to be subject to their laws.
Actually, it's more like this:

Person X says something>Person Y misinterprets>Toise and/or Chu get involved>**** hits fan>Escalating debate with a good chance of ending up only vaguely relating to what started it>Person X has probably left the thread by now, and Person Y just gives up>Some intelligent discussion that's not a super-debate>Rinse>Lather>Repeat

But that's just my take on it.

I just found out Captain Falcon's name was Douglas. :ohwell:

Anywho, I was reading through the Brawl Beta Elements thread in the workshop, and it seems that there was a planned mode for Wi-Fi that would have worked like this (Theorizing by PhantomWings):
-You enter the match alone.
-Other combatants will enter and battle with you.
-When the other combatants run out of time, they exit the match while newer combatants join to take their place.
-Likewise, if your time runs out, you exit the match only to return to the CSS and begin in a new match.
What do people think?

EDIT:
n88_2004: Poll man
Which reminds me, I need to get that thing going again. It'll be back up by Sunday, I swear. If anyone would like to make suggestions, I'd do it now.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Random time eh? Just because I'm not on every second of every day to respond to each and every person that posts. Wow, I guess I can get that way sometimes.
TTK: more like class clown
Hey that isn't an insult actually. I like the random feel you provide; Sorry I didn't reply to your Darkrai post but he should be a Pokeball next time around. Would be cool.

I didn't know what else to put you as D:

As for gameplay, my perspective on this is that all of you guys are kinda right in one way or some other. The Game SHOULD Have some more depth to make it replay value, but you ALSO Have to be careful with accessibility with everything you add. One simple thing can mess up all the balance work of two years.

That's just my personal take on it.

Which reminds me, I need to get that thing going again. It'll be back up by Sunday, I swear. If anyone would like to make suggestions, I'd do it now.
...uh...
I dunno. Black Mage & Chocobo on there would be great, or just in general "Square Enix Character"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, it's more like this:

Person X says something>Person Y misinterprets>Toise and/or Chu get involved>**** hits fan>Escalating debate with a good chance of ending up only vaguely relating to what started it>Person X has probably left the thread by now, and Person Y just gives up>Some intelligent discussion that's not a super-debate>Rinse>Lather>Repeat

But that's just my take on it.
That pretty much sums it up. Heck, that's what happened with this current argument: I suggest that there's more than one way for accessibility than making everything slow, but **** hits the fan.

Anywho, I was reading through the Brawl Beta Elements thread in the workshop, and it seems that there was a planned mode for Wi-Fi that would have worked like this (Theorizing by PhantomWings):

What do people think?
It reminds me of the endless mode in SSFIV but timed. I'm curious as to what this mode was called.

@TTK
That's a pretty accurate description of me as of late, but that's not to say I can't stand character discussion (except for liklihood) or stage ideas. Heck, it's a pretty accurate assessment of everyone on here.

@Toise
I've said this a million times, I'm all for accessibility, but, as TTK said, I'm looking for that balance. To me, it seems your heading towards one end of the spectrum. I might be heading towards the other end, but I'm trying to be careful regarding that.

@ n88
I don't know if she was on there, but I suggest Toon Zelda. Spirit Tracks is making me have second thoughts about her. She might be a clone, but who knows. We may see more games with Toon Zelda playable in the future that might make her an interesting idea.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
@n88_2004
The only characters I can think of for your poll are Dark Samus and Chocobo/Slime. I think you covered everyone else that I could think of. (I'll confess that I did vote for Toad twice, when I first saw the poll, and when we could vote for more than one character)

@Kumo
Yes, Toon Zelda was on the poll before.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Magical Fantasy World? Just because I support Duck Hunt Dog and question Ridley's inclusion? :p

Anyway, I was just thinking about Toon Zelda. Maybe she is more likely now than before... it is just that I don't want Toon Zelda in if she is going to transform into Toon Sheik. I rather see her transform into Tetra. But I might overlook Toon Zelda's inclusion if she is not a clone of Zelda (doubt it) and her Final Smash involves possessing a Phantom and playing as it for a short while. If she is going to be a clone of Zelda (no doubt about it), then let her B move be shooting Light Arrows while the other moves are the same specials Zelda uses (up B and side B are the same but Zelda's B is Toon Zelda's down B). At least that's how I imagined a Sheik-less Zelda would be like in SSB3.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So how do you guys feel about having Paper Mario as a character in SSB4?
I'd much prefer Toad, Bowser Jr., and Rosalina before him. Unlike Toon/Young Link, he's not all that necessary.

Magical Fantasy World? Just because I support Duck Hunt Dog and question Ridley's inclusion? :p

Anyway, I was just thinking about Toon Zelda. Maybe she is more likely now than before... it is just that I don't want Toon Zelda in if she is going to transform into Toon Sheik. I rather see her transform into Tetra. But I might overlook Toon Zelda's inclusion if she is not a clone of Zelda (doubt it) and her Final Smash involves possessing a Phantom and playing as it for a short while. If she is going to be a clone of Zelda (no doubt about it), then let her B move be shooting Light Arrows while the other moves are the same specials Zelda uses (up B and side B are the same but Zelda's B is Toon Zelda's down B). At least that's how I imagined a Sheik-less Zelda would be like in SSB3.
I think Tetra would happen before we'd ever get a Toon Sheik. Toon Sheik would basically be the first original character to be playable in Smash and that would defeat the purpose of Smash. Here's an idea for a Final Smash:

Phantom Possession:
This move works like Link's Triforce Slash, but the move works differently. Toon Zelda aims straight ahead and releases her spirit into the nearest target. When she possesses her opponent, she takes the body and violently flails it against the ground and then tops it off with a quick drop to the ground that has high vertical knockback.

During this time, Zelda's body lies on the ground invulnerable. In the event that the body falls off stage because the fight's on a moving stage, the attack immediately stops.
The same applies for the possessed character, but both players lose a life, not just Zelda. This attack is very risky on moving stages like Mute City and there is a lot of recovery if the attack is whiffed.

For her other moves, a watered down Light Arrow seems like a good idea and would be her primary offense for long range attacks. Her other specials are something that I'm not sure about. You can't just give her Zelda's other attacks because she uses all three of the Goddesses. It doesn't seem right to give Toon Zelda two only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom