• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zero Suit Samus Matchup Thread

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
They seem pretty well matched except that ZSS has muuuch better recovery. I'd say 60-40 just for that, because Oli will get gimped while a good ZSS won't get gimped unless they're being overly agressive or really get outplayed.

asob4

Smash Champion
They seem pretty well matched except that ZSS has muuuch better recovery. I'd say 60-40 just for that, because Oli will get gimped while a good ZSS won't get gimped unless they're being overly agressive or really get outplayed.
same can be said for olimar >.>
theoretically, olimar should never be knocked off the stage because he can just WAC every attack

Snakeee

Smash Master
same can be said for olimar >.>
theoretically, olimar should never be knocked off the stage because he can just WAC every attack
I don't think this is really the case...I looked up Olimar's frame data, but there's nothing on his Down B. At any rate, there has to be some sort of lag after his Down B, and even if it's only 1 frame that's still a point where he is vulnerable. With a 4 frame up air, and getting a couple of those in as he falls down there's a good chance that one will hit. Plus, like I said you are still taking damage by doing that.

asob4

Smash Champion
damage means nothing to me!
i dunno how fast it ends, but i've been able to whistle multiple hits of GnW's bair in a row, so it's pretty fast
plus the armor frames last for a while

oh and that little theoretical thing was to prove a point >.>

noradseven

Smash Lord
I don't think this is really the case...I looked up Olimar's frame data, but there's nothing on his Down B. At any rate, there has to be some sort of lag after his Down B, and even if it's only 1 frame that's still a point where he is vulnerable. With a 4 frame up air, and getting a couple of those in as he falls down there's a good chance that one will hit. Plus, like I said you are still taking damage by doing that.
You can smack the **** out him during his down B but it, a with a fastfalling down B you only get 1 maybe two shots and you are getting 20% damage on him even if you miss the large I think its like 4-5 frame hit time. I personally don't think his down B is as good against ZSS as many people make it out to be.

This match used to be easy for me but once SOS camped the living daylights out of me, aka ran away doing over B out of power shield(just kept blocking if he didn't) until I was at 130%, the match got more even. Random rant tangent ahead you have been warned: Plus Im a sucker for mind games and having cronies behind you talking about how dumb XYZ show is that I like just(for the purpose of annoying me) to get on your nerves is not a legit strategy, seriously I can handle trash talking about the game or my gameplay, but insulting my fave Tv shows, that's low man. :ohwell:

But now that I know that I can special toadstool off his pikmen(I never connected items too equal pikmen) this might change in my favor again. If only he would stop playing Melee version 2.0 (aka brawl+), seriously if I want instant kill combo's all over the place I'll play something else. :argh:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Waltz said that Olimar could, if used consecutively, whistle each hit of Snake's nair. I've whistled through the turtle before, and often times MK's fair. It lasts a while. I'd guesstimate that it comes out on about frame 5-ish with just a little bit more afterlag than Rob's dtilt. Maybe 3-4 frames where he's vulnerable between consecutive whistles.

Right now, I'm wondering if Olimar can retaliate out of shield with anything after ZSS does a jab combo. Can ZSS start another jab combo on Olimar before Olimar can shieldgrab or jab? Olimar's grab comes out on frame 14. His jab comes out frame 4.

Olimar's recovery isn't really an issue in the matchup. Most (if not all. I can't think of any that don't) of ZSS' attacks send him upwards anyways. As Olimar, I'd be more worried about off the top kills than gimps. Good DI, conservation of his second jump, and good whistle use alone prevent most gimp attempts.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Waltz said that Olimar could, if used consecutively, whistle each hit of Snake's nair. I've whistled through the turtle before, and often times MK's fair. It lasts a while. I'd guesstimate that it comes out on about frame 5-ish with just a little bit more afterlag than Rob's dtilt. Maybe 3-4 frames where he's vulnerable between consecutive whistles.

Right now, I'm wondering if Olimar can retaliate out of shield with anything after ZSS does a jab combo. Can ZSS start another jab combo on Olimar before Olimar can shieldgrab or jab? Olimar's grab comes out on frame 14. His jab comes out frame 4.

Olimar's recovery isn't really an issue in the matchup. Most (if not all. I can't think of any that don't) of ZSS' attacks send him upwards anyways. As Olimar, I'd be more worried about off the top kills than gimps. Good DI, conservation of his second jump, and good whistle use alone prevent most gimp attempts.
Olimar can do nothing but shield the last jab or two over and over again.

And, yeah I know that gimping Olimar is kind of rare. It does happen to him more than ZSS though.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I hate playing campy Olimars.
If only I could empty quote this.

But now that I know jab destroy's him, haha maybe its not as bad as I thought, most of my early smash exp was against pikachu,lucario, and diddy all of which jab spamming AAA doesn't work so well, well okay it sorta works on diddy but still I learned not to use it.

I might be changing my vote to 55:45 in ZSS favor, once I check this out. Probably this weekend I got homework and SFIV, came out and I finally got TvC.

Also both ZSS and Olimar(unless you knock Oli straight sideways) are difficult to gimp despite popular belief. If oli has a purple its becomes alot harder because he will jump and down B repeatably till he gets to purple and hurl it at the edge then up B.

sasook

Smash Champion
Oli doesn't have bad DI either - I've seen Olis live up to 240%+ against R.O.B.s (momentum canceled and whistled every time R.O.B. would try to KO offstage/gimp).

noradseven

Smash Lord
Oli doesn't have bad DI either - I've seen Olis live up to 240%+ against R.O.B.s (momentum canceled and whistled every time R.O.B. would try to KO offstage/gimp).
Well Oli is alot lighter than ZSS, but still 240% that rob must of degraded his moves way to much.

sasook

Smash Champion
Well Oli is alot lighter than ZSS, but still 240% that rob must of degraded his moves way to much.
I've played the R.O.B. I'm talking about - trust me, he's good. He's not campy, he doesn't spam, he freakin' combos. He's good, he hadn't decayed smashes or anything. I'm just stating how good Oli's DI can be, combined with whistling.

Fino

Smash Master
I have no match-up knowledge (mainly because I've never heard / seen of good ZZS players), so I will speak in terms I do know of.

How does Zamus handle herself around olimar?

lol

~Fino

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I have no match-up knowledge (mainly because I've never heard / seen of good ZZS players), so I will speak in terms I do know of.

How does Zamus handle herself around olimar?

lol

~Fino
"Is that all?"

Adapt

Smash Lord

I wouldn't really know... do people really main ZZS? This is news to me. As of right now I'd say 55-45 or 60-40 olimar just from theory of the match-up... I'm willing to play any of you if you'd like... :D

~Fino
lol.... "is that all" was in response to your joke picture about ZSS handling herself Olimar

It's one of her taunts

btw, no one really mains ZZS, so don't worry about working on the matchup or anything :p

noradseven

Smash Lord
lol.... "is that all" was in response to your joke picture about ZSS handling herself Olimar

It's one of her taunts

btw, no one really mains ZSS, so don't worry about working on the matchup or anything :p
Hey I main her jerk :(.

In response to above picture it looks like its Olimar the one that is having a hard time controlling himself.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Can we begin this discussion please? I've read the previous page and it's all spam. Should we begin with the match starting? I think that would be a pretty good place to start.

When the match begins, we're all aware that Zero Suit Samus has her armor pieces which immediately puts her in an offensive position and Olimar on the defensive. Olimar can easily take care of the pieces, any attempts to glide toss, Plasma Beam (Neutral Special), and pick-up via Dash Attack using his Forward Smash and Side B. If it's really that bad, I've seen people Whistle the armor bombardment. So after all that, I'd say that armor pieces are pretty negligable here (especially if here includes platforms). Anyone disagree?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Can we begin this discussion please? I've read the previous page and it's all spam. Should we begin with the match starting? I think that would be a pretty good place to start.

When the match begins, we're all aware that Zero Suit Samus has her armor pieces which immediately puts her in an offensive position and Olimar on the defensive. Olimar can easily take care of the pieces, any attempts to glide toss, Plasma Beam (Neutral Special), and pick-up via Dash Attack using his Forward Smash and Side B. If it's really that bad, I've seen people Whistle the armor bombardment. So after all that, I'd say that armor pieces are pretty negligable here (especially if here includes platforms). Anyone disagree?
I disagree. Using the suit pieces offensively in this match has really helped me out, because it forces Olimar to do something other than pluck Pikmin. If you can pressure him correctly, you can gain a pretty good upper hand, possibly get him off the stage, and gimp him even easier than usual.

It's not always guaranteed, but the armor parts are potentially worse for Olimar than they are for many others.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I disagree. Using the suit pieces offensively in this match has really helped me out, because it forces Olimar to do something other than pluck Pikmin. If you can pressure him correctly, you can gain a pretty good upper hand, possibly get him off the stage, and gimp him even easier than usual.

It's not always guaranteed, but the armor parts are potentially worse for Olimar than they are for many others.
How exactly would you manage to put the pressure on Olimar? You might know something that I don't, but for the most part it's just like a match-up with Diddy - the armor pieces are as much Olimar's as they are Zero Suit Samus', you guys just get to throw first. What I was saying is though even if she has the pieces and an offensive position, there are some pretty simple ways to deal with what she's going to do. I listed Side B as a possible solution, which can be used to force her hand into something more agressive. You guys only get three tosses toward Olimar, while we six (assuming that we don't pluck more inbetween), ya know? I'm not apposed to taking damage either, if it means not being pushed into a corner.

I do understand what you mean by gimping him earlier than expected. If Zero Suit somehow manages to hit you with the pieces off stage, it's pretty much over for that stock.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
We only get three? Good sir, I have tossed my armor pieces as many as 20 times at the beginning of a match. A good ZSS can control their armor pieces better than just "throw them all and then start fighting." Armor pieces kill off any Pikmin, so your solution of "simply side-B" seems negligible from our side since you'll start to run out of defensive options.

Excellence

Smash Champion
We only get three? Good sir, I have tossed my armor pieces as many as 20 times at the beginning of a match. A good ZSS can control their armor pieces better than just "throw them all and then start fighting." Armor pieces kill off any Pikmin, so your solution of "simply side-B" seems negligible from our side since you'll start to run out of defensive options.
That's not what I mean by three. When the match starts your three pieces of armor lay next to you. Once you throw one, it is no longer within your reach. If you run to pick it up, you leave the previous two behind. See what I mean? Once you toss a piece away from you, you have one less until you retrieve it. Even though armor pieces kill off Pikmin, I'd figure that certain latch spots would enable them to stay on and avoid getting knocked off. There's also the occasional (sometimes common and really annoying for you) Purple Pikmin that'll knock Zero Suit Samus back if she isn't watching. Am I making a little more sense now?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
No, you aren't. Why do I care if your Pikmin are latched onto me? That doesn't prevent me from throwing suit pieces at you. Sure, the purple Pikmin will knock me over, but I am not going to allow myself to be in range of that at any time. Also, glide-tossing a suit piece allows you to pick it up off the rebound if your opponent shields it. If they get hit, simply dash forward and pick it up while they're stuck in hitstun.

Excellence

Smash Champion
No, you aren't. Why do I care if your Pikmin are latched onto me? That doesn't prevent me from throwing suit pieces at you. Sure, the purple Pikmin will knock me over, but I am not going to allow myself to be in range of that at any time. Also, glide-tossing a suit piece allows you to pick it up off the rebound if your opponent shields it. If they get hit, simply dash forward and pick it up while they're stuck in hitstun.
Once you throw an Armor Piece at Olimar, is that Armor Piece within your immediate grab range? Can you pick it up without moving (only tapping A) or Dash Attack to pick it up? No you cannot. As soon as you toss of an Armor Piece, it is no longer within your reach unless you move to pick it up and potentially open yourself up to harm. Sure, you can throw the two that are still on the ground near you, but you do not have the Armor Piece that you just threw within your immediate reach.

Tossing a Pikmin of any color except for Purple - which hits and creates knockback, you can rack on damage on Zero Suit Samus as well as defend against tosses made toward Olimar. That doesn't stop her from throwing other pieces at him, but it does put pressure on her to do something about the Pikmin being hurled at her. My guess is that she'd start to approach or leave any stand-still position she's in to do something: whether that's short hopping an aerial, rushing in with Side Special, or tossing another Armor Piece, whatever she chooses she's got to do something. That's all time Olimar could be using to move in or take advantage of loose Armor Pieces.

If you Glide Toss an Armor Piece at Olimar you leave behind two Armor Pieces (or any that you have left). If Olimar shields, you can get the piece you Glide Tossed off the rebound, but you've also comitted to using that piece of armor because the others (if any) are out of your grasp.

Still unclear... ?
:confused:

cba

Smash Master
Im not entering this topic because i dont argue with ignorance.
i have the experience already.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*, We can do things other than just throw the pieces left and right. it's not "3 throws and that's it." If you were to whistle or shield or w/e we could hit you with one of our own attacks.

EDIT: Apperently this guy has been a ZSS mainer in disguise...He knows all our armor pieces strategies like not doing anything else but glide-tossing into him.

I wanna see you hurl your pikmin at us at the start and watch all of them die...

Excellence

Smash Champion
*sigh*, We can do things other than just throw the pieces left and right. it's not "3 throws and that's it." If you were to whistle or shield or w/e we could hit you with one of our own attacks.

EDIT: Apperently this guy has been a ZSS mainer in disguise...
I know, I just like to approach the match-up by discussing from the very beginning of the match when both players are set apart from each other. I was really hoping to point out that while Armor Pieces are very dangerous for anyone who doesn't know how to deal with them, they can be equally dangerous for Zero Suit Samus and shouldn't be too heavily focused upon. What's your take or do you think that we should just move on to something else?

I don't know if your trying to say I don't know anything abour Zero Suit Samus or trying to insult me (please don't, I'm being really nice), but I'll point out that I do use Zero Suit Samus from time to time. I think she's really fun to play and good for practicing proper spacing.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
I know, I just like to approach the match-up by discussing from the very beginning of the match when both players are set apart from each other. I was really hoping to point out that while Armor Pieces are very dangerous for anyone who doesn't know how to deal with them, they can be equally dangerous for Zero Suit Samus and shouldn't be too heavily focused upon. What's your take or do you think that we should just move on to something else?

I don't know if your trying to say I don't know anything abour Zero Suit Samus or trying to insult me (please don't, I'm being really nice), but I'll point out that I do use Zero Suit Samus from time to time. I think she's really fun to play and good for practicing proper spacing.
your right about the pieces, it depends on who's better with the them. but olimar himself has a disadvantage against them because he doesnt have a good defense against them. If he blocks, we can keep pressuring him with others and our own attacks, and I dont mean just throw all 3 at him. if he jumps, he get ***** by our aerials since he sucks in the air against her. If he rolls then we can punish it. other chars are more mobile or have attacks/moves that can make it less of a threat. I wish I could show you a vid of me of how the pieces can really be used...

Excellence

Smash Champion
your right about the pieces, it depends on who's better with the them. but olimar himself has a disadvantage against them because he doesnt have a good defense against them. If he blocks, we can keep pressuring him with others and our own attacks, and I dont mean just throw all 3 at him. if he jumps, he get ***** by our aerials since he sucks in the air against her. If he rolls then we can punish it. other chars are more mobile or have attacks/moves that can make it less of a threat. I wish I could show you a vid of me of how the pieces can really be used...
I do see what you mean with Olimar himself being at a disadvantage against the Amor Pieces. Even though his moves can defend against the pieces, he does become very vulnerable if he's hit, moreso than a lot of other characters. With that being said, I'd agree with you guys if you say that Zero Suit Samus' Armor Pieces give her an advantage early on. I don't think it's that much of an advantage because of Olimar's options of dealing with the Armor Pieces, but an early lead does shift the momentum of the match in your favor.

I want to move on to range. I'm not entirely sure who has more range, Zero Suit Samus or Olimar. Excuse me if this looks bad on my part, but the only good Zero Suit Samus players I've played were online and I haven't been able to shield grab a lot of her Side Specials. Is this because she has more range on her Side Special or because of Wifi lag allow her to get away before getting grabbed?

When I think about it, this match-up really comes down to a battle of spacing.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Excellence, about the suitpieces. If you shield a suitpiece, we'll get to it before you, end of story. Just because it's not in the immediate grab range does not mean it's out of our reach. ZSS is one of the fastest characters in the game, she can reach anywhere pretty **** fast. Side-b does not work against suitpieces, the suitpiece will kill the pikmin and then bounce back to ZSS, meaning she'll just keep tossing until you run out of pikmin and have to pluck. You also seem to forget that ZSS glidetosses, JC tosses, and throws from the air, not just stationary throws.

Anyways, as for range, Side-B will be just outside grab range if it's tippered and not perfect shielded. I think you might be able to shield grab if you get closer to the inside and powershield it (to prevent sliding). If you make it past the sweetspot, it's easily shield grabbed.

Top Bottom